• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flying Lotus - "You're Dead!" (Oct 7, 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

pjeqlc.gif

Courage

What a diverse sounding album. And it flows so well. Journey from beginning to end.

He can make a whole album with the style of Dead Man's Tetris.

WOW. Some of this is downright blissful. A lot more impressed so far than I thought I'd be. This dude needs to start doin soundtracks. No idea what kinda media it'd suit best, but damn, this cat knows how to weave a story through sound.

K.Sabot

Feel like this is the perfect length in comparison to last record, which I felt could lose a couple tracks and shorten some others.

cacophony

not into this at all. nothing memorable on first listen. most of it sounds like a bunch of jazz musicians wanking around. cosmogramma did a good job retaining the shred and melody but this is pure wank the first half and the second just sucks ( ready err not??)

oh my gawd this album is so fucking dope. i gotta let it sit in a bit, but it's probably tied for his 2nd best with Los Angeles (Cosmogramma being 1st of course)

Currently listening. On the second track, and it is jazzy as all shit. It's crazy. I'm digging the adventure of it.

edit: This needs the Interstella 5555 treatment, except it would definitely be more difficult to develop, but would be infinitely more interesting.

Moonkid

Was hoping for the songs to be way longer but I appreciate that short was what he was going for. Great album, probably going to be my jam for the next few days when writing.

I listen to a lot of instrumental/Hip hop/Orchestra and Piano (mainly J Dilla, Nujabes and some others) but I have always avoided Flying Lotus because of my assumption that his songs tend to go with drugs or being high.

Now, I have nothing against people who do those but should I listen to his songs even though I don't do drugs and probably won't ever get the same feeling as you guys have when listening while being high?

I want to get into him but I don't know where to start, Is there any song recommendations you guys can give me?

trixx

Idk if I should get this. Didn't really like UTQC =/. Also still needs get cosmogramma and L.A

^Start off with his album Los Angeles. Or go surfing on YouTube

I listen to a lot of instrumental/Hip hop/Orchestra and Piano (mainly J Dilla, Nujabes and some others) but I have always avoided Flying Lotus because of my assumption that his songs tend to go with drugs or being high.

Now, I have nothing against people who do those but should I listen to his songs even though I don't do drugs and probably won't ever get the same feeling as you guys have when listening while being high?

I want to get into him but I don't know where to start, Is there any song recommendations you guys can give me?

That's a bit of a stretch. I've never done any drugs and I can still appreciate his music. It's an acquired taste. It all depends on what you're looking for in music.

Here's a suggestion: Andreya Triana: "Lost Where I Belong" (Flying Lotus Remix)

big ander

I've seen a lot of comments places about how the tracks are short, which confuse me because that's been FL's M.O. since 2008? I guess it's technically his most fragmented album comparatively-- LA's 17 tracks in 44 minutes, Cosmogramma's 17 in 46, Quiet's 19 in 51, this is now 19 in 40. but I don't think it feels any slighter than his other albums

hm huh what? fly lo doesn't need drugs at all. I don't feel like people portray lotus that way at all. and no actually good music needs chemical assistance or some shit.
can't really suggest a single song because his records are mostly short songs grouped together and they work so much better as a unit. I guess if you're not up for trying all of Cosmogramma or Los Angeles, try out side A of Cosmogramma: Clock Catcher thru Computer Face//Pure Being.

I've never needed drugs to enjoy the music and you should definitely check out Zodiac Shit and 1983.

God the Captain Murphy shit sucks. It's like he's just taking a giant shit on his own record. Fuck this Adult Swim shit.

I like Captain Murphy material. :/

Soma

I like the Captain Murphy material in Dead Man's Tetris. Really in-your-face track that, at first, seems like a departure from the rest of the album but retains a lot of the influences and atmosphere from the overall theme of "You're Dead!" that keeps it cohesive in context. Love the beat and I absolutely love Snoop's appearance on this track. A lot better than Kendrick's appearance on the album imo.

The vocals in the beginning of "The Boys Who Died in Their Sleep" are... different. I kinda like them because it's very demented, exaggerated and seems very well aware of how over the top of it is but at the same time I feel like it's a pretty risky move. The whole album is basically a lighthearted and morbidly happy introspective on death so it doesn't seem too out of place to me. I dunno, hearing the guy sing more is something I'm welcome to even if it might take some time getting used to.

Plus I have no idea who the fuck IceJJFish is so whatever comparison there is lost on me for better or worse.

Booshka

I fucking love Tesla, needs to be like 10 mins longer though. As a Mwandishi Herbie Hancock fan it's right up my alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom