• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food-poisoning Age (or, holy shit kill me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey GAF,

I got food poisoning from my dinner last night. I'm vomiting and shitting like every fifteen minutes and have been for about an hour now. I took some anti nausea meds because I want this to end. Are there any other ways to help with this?

hitme

What was for dinner? I'm going to assume it was meat-based.

Just try to vomit everything out and empty your stomach.

AndersK

Water, and hold on to your butts. This is gonna suck. No magic remedies AFIAIK.

You got the shakes as well? Last time it gave me a flash fever for a couple hours complete with shakes. Good stuff.

Breads

Banned
Ibuprofen for body aches and a mountain of blankets for the chills, and a towel nearby/ around your forehead for the cold sweats is all I can suggest.

As far as I know there is no real procedure that will make this ordeal any easier. Been through it twice and it's incredible how it absolutely dominated my every thought or action when I was dealing with it.

Had the same thing a few months back from bad turkey burgers. Like everyone else said you're just gonna have to ride this thing out. Mine struck the night before finals started, hope you don't have anything important going on the next couple of days. Good luck and drink lots of water

Drink plenty of water, and don't take anti-diarrhea meds, it's better out.

If you can get some rehydration salts like Dioralyte.

What was for dinner? I'm going to assume it was meat-based.

Just try to vomit everything out and empty your stomach.

You got it, a chicken rice bowl from one of the establishments on my university campus. Last time I go there.

And yeah, I've got the shakes as well. Just vomited again; hopefully the meds stayed down.

Chuckie

Drink water and soldier on!

At least you have the real deal. Last time I read a thread about food poisoning on GAF, it was some guy who had to go to the toilet 2 times after eating Taco Bell.

Kareha

You need to move all your furniture and PC/consoles into the bathroom as your going to be living in there for a while.

Lakitu

st5fu
I got it yesterday after meeting my girlfriends dad at a restaurant and yesterday I had diarrhoea and vomiting non stop. I honestly thought I was dying. I still feel awful today but I managed to get anti-sickness and Dioralyte stuff and make sure I keep hydrated. It is absolutely awful, would not recommend.

If it's from the chicken you likely have salmonella. It's horrible, but unless you ate huge amount of chicken you should be reasonably fine compared to the onset in about four to six hours.

Good luck.

Daffy Duck

Unlucky dude. Keep hydrated and ride that brown wave.

I got it when I was about 12 years old on an exchange trip to Germany when the kid I was staying with didn't cook some meat properly.

I felt so ill, I was shitting everywhere and ruining the pyjamas they gave me, it felt so awkward., lucky for me the mum was really nice about it though and looked after me. I just sat watching Bundesliga all day and then running to the bathroom every few minutes.

See if you can get a hold of something liked Pedialyte or other similar product in addition to drinking water. Other than that just try to rest and find something to distract yourself like netflix of some easy to play game and just ride it out.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Drink water and just try to sleep is my advice. Sleep can be a respite from throwing up bile. I remember when I had it, at one point I was awake and did not vomit for a whole 30 minutes. It really felt like an accomplishment at the time.

I hurled like 2 minutes after

ChryZ

Vomiting is key, get it out before it goes further through the system. Expect to feel pretty drained and low energy for a couple of days.

arigato

Brushing my teeth and entire mouth with activated charcoal powder truly made me feel much more better. You can also ingest one or two capsules if need be. Always helped me with bouts of nausea and vomitting.
Other than that don't suppress your bodies need to vomit the poisons. Keep on vomitting and give your body a lot of rest. A fast from meat would do you good, especially with the full moon coming up soon.. Dash of Redmond salt in a cool lemonade/limeade may help..
Good luck I loathe the feeling of nausea and vomitting.

Ieu

OP, I've had food poisoning before and it did me right in.

If you are still in pain after the purging then go see your GP as soon as. I was left with an inflamed bowel and was on tablets for about 9 months.

Life lesson learned: DO NOT PARTIALLY REHEAT LEFT OVER RICE!

Drink a lot. I ended up going to the hospital to get an IV when I went through a bad food poisoning. Was throwing up like clockwork every thirty minutes for the better part of the day.

Drink water and just try to sleep is my advice. Sleep can be a respite from throwing up bile. I remember when I had it, at one point I was awake and did not vomit for a whole 30 minutes. It really felt like an accomplishment at the time.

I hurled like 2 minutes after

Ha, this has really been my experience so far. Anytime I make it past 15 minutes I'm like, nice, the good guys are winning.

Update, because this is a blog post now: roommate checked me into the ER because I couldn't replace fluid faster than I was losing it and was getting really dehydrated. Now they've got me on an IV and I'm feeling pretty goooood

Just try to keep hydrated with water and Gatorade, and continue to pray upon the porcelain throne until your system gets rid of everything.

You'll be fine~

Belker

Here's a PDF showing what colour your urine should be. This will help you keep track of how dehydrated you are. The darker, more yellow it is, the more you need to drink. Remember the amount of water you need isn't based on how thirsty you feel.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/content/pdfs/safety/DOD_Urine Color Test_Poster.pdf

If possible I would also stay at home for a little bit even after you feel better, just in case you've picked up a bug like the norovirus. Don't want to make anyone else unwell.

Edit - OK, you're being looked after. Good stuff. Get well soon.

Here's a PDF showing what colour your urine should be. This will help you keep track of how dehydrated you are. The darker, more yellow it is, the more you need to drink. Remember the amount of water you need isn't based on how thirsty you feel.

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/content/pdfs/safety/DOD_Urine Color Test_Poster.pdf

If possible I would also stay at home for a little bit even after you feel better, just in case you've picked up a bug like the norovirus. Don't want to make anyone else unwell.

Yeah, the doctor was saying that he's been seeing a lot of this, so it could be something contagious. However all of the cases were from eateries on campus so lol who knows.

I actually haven't had to pee at all so that probably speaks for itself vis-a-vis hydration; hopefully this IV clears that up a bit though.

EDIT: thanks for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it

I had food poisoning couple months ago. Nonstop waterfall like diarhhea throughout the whole night. Once I vomited twice it got better.

You'll only puke up any water you drink... last (and first) time I got food poisoning my Dad (a doctor) told me to get popsicles to stay hydrated.

They melt slowly allowing the water in them to absorb through your mouth and throat as opposed to just going down into your intestinal track / stomach (only to be puked up).

It was great advice and helped a lot with hydration and thus recovery.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Since you already vomited there's nothing more to be done. Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated and induce more vomiting.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Food poisoning sucks. Like someone else said, go to the hospital for an IV if you can't keep down + keep expelling liquids.

The past 3 times I had food poisoning were the past 3 times I ate at Indian restaurants. I literally don't eat Indian food anymore and haven't for years.Fuck you India :mad:

Have nurse girlfriend, let her give you an intravenous infusion with stuff.
The only faster way to get back on your feet again would be antibiotics, but I don't recommend that unless its really, really bad and bacteria based.

You'll only puke up any water you drink... last (and first) time I got food poisoning my Dad (a doctor) told me to get popsicles to stay hydrated.

They melt slowly allowing the water in them to absorb through your mouth and throat as opposed to just going down into your intestinal track / stomach (only to be puked up).

It was great advice and helped a lot with hydration and thus recovery.

Ah, that's clever, I hadn't thought of that. I was sucking on ice cubes earlier so I guess that's a similar concept. Still though, thanks for the advice, will definitely put it to work over the next day or two.

One time I got food poisoning (THANKS, BURGER KING) involved a serious case of unfortunate timing: I had to ride a 10+ hour flight immediately after eating. Let's just say that flight ended up being a purely miserable experience.

Took about six or seven years before I started eating at Burger King again.

Clydefrog

Drink water. Pee out butthole. Drink water. Pee out butthole. Drink water. Pee out butthole.

edit: the 4th Drink Water does the trick!

Maximus P

I feel for you OP.

I had food poisoning not too long ago. I spent most of the day sat on the toilet reading a book with a bucket at the side of me.

As others have said, drink plenty of fluids and ride it out.

MsKrisp

Drink water, but try to mix in some watered-down gatorade or something else with electrolytes. You're losing more than just fluids.

Boney

Banned
Last time was a few years ago. all weekend I thought I was going to die, as if was being stabbed, couldn't even move and moaned in pain all day

One time I got food poisoning (THANKS, BURGER KING) involved a serious case of unfortunate timing: I had to ride a 10+ hour flight immediately after eating. Let's just say that flight ended up being a purely miserable experience.

Took about six or seven years before I started eating at Burger King again.

I had the same thing but with a big mac. Took me 10 years befor I ate one again.

sirap

Charcoal tablets and plenty of water. Throwing up a lot actually helped but you've got to stay hydrated. Gatorade/Sprite/7-Up helps with the nausea.

There is a really nasty stomach virus going around in the North East US right now. You might have that, as it mimics the symptoms of food poisoning. I had it two weeks ago, and it was the worst. :(

This was me last Thursday OP, except I was 5 days into a 7 day solo road trip. It was a miserable, awful experience. I don't think I'd ever been that sick before (coming out both ends at the same time, holy fuck.) I'm glad you went to the ER and got an IV; I ended up going to urgent care the next day and got anti-nausea meds. I had a fever and everything.

Just FYI, they recommend not to drink water right after vomiting because it can upset your stomach further and cause you to get sick again. It's recommended to wait to drink fluids until 30 or so minutes afterwards, but of course this is tricky because you need to stay hydrated.

I hope you're feeling better!

If you can't keep hydrated by drinking water, go to a hospital. My wife had a severe case of stomach flu some years ago and had to get an infusion to keep hydrated because she constantly vomited everything.

If you can drink water, just ride it out. Also keep your salt levels up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom