• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio/Soccer Thread 2011/12 |OT4| Why always Tokyo Sexwale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is strange and it's obvious that people are just covering their own backs. Honestly I actually do think Suarez has said something to Evra during the game to wind him up but I do not believe Suarez to be a racist.

Once Again, FA doesn't have to prove Saurez is a racist for a ban

According to Mr Suarez, Mr Comolli misheard what Mr Suarez said in Spanish, and Mr Kuyt misheard what Mr Suarez said in Dutch.

According to Suarez, everybody misheard or misunderstood him. lol.

It is strange and it's obvious that people are just covering their own backs. Honestly I actually do think Suarez has said something to Evra during the game to wind him up but I do not believe Suarez to be a racist.

My problem is the way the FA have gone about it all and then decided on an 8 game ban. You have to be certain beyond any doubt that somebody is guilty before labeling somebody a racist because this is not something that will go away after Suarez serves his 8 game ban.

This will no doubt be taken to a higher court where Suarez will seek compensation from the FA and win. However he will still serve his ban and receive a lot of abuse up and down the country.

He was found guilty of using racist language. Nobody credible, including Evra himself, is calling him an actual racist. I think carrying this to extremes is indicative of tribalistic desperation, as with the continuous irrelevant asides that Evra is "a cunt" or whatever else. Not that LFC itself is showing wise leadership on that front, either.

rodvik

SNN2423A2G--532_1428114a.jpg

SHine on you crazy diamond, shine on.

DemonNite

Liverpool FC statement...

The Club can confirm that they received the written reasons from the Regulatory Commission at short notice last night on the evening of the game against Newcastle United.

The player, the Club and our legal advisors will now take the necessary amount of time to read, digest and properly consider the contents of the 115 page judgment and will make no further comment at present.

But I still don't get it though. Hes not charged for being racist but those quotes are clearly racist to me? so what is it???

I thought they were Irelands legs at first.

MOTD should be good tonight folks...right?

And yes I am staying in, Arlo's first new year so Nikki wanted him at home, drinks and a curry it is

ShogunX

He was found guilty of using racist language. Nobody credible, including Evra himself, is calling him an actual racist. I think carrying this to extremes is indicative of tribalistic desperation, as with the continuous irrelevant asides that Evra is "a cunt" or whatever else. Not that LFC itself is showing wise leadership on that front, either.

Edit - Actually I am going to give it a miss.

Like banging my head against a brick wall.

Have a good night everyone and lets hope Everton get twatted tomorrow :)

And yes I am staying in, Arlo's first new year so Nikki wanted him at home, drinks and a curry it is

Stayed in for the past few years as It's impossible to find a babysitter :( - Our new year celebrations have amounted to watching a turd movie, getting a little bit tipsy, Watching big ben at 12 and then opening the door to let the new year in.

Awful.

Evra's defence of Suarez:

232. Mr Evra also demonstrated a measure of balance in his evidence. For example, he was
prepared to make a number of concessions before us. Prior to 15 October 2011, Mr Evra
and Mr Suarez had played against each other when Mr Evra was playing for Manchester
United and in a France v Uruguay match. They had no relationship outside football, and
Mr Evra had experienced no problems with Mr Suarez on the pitch before this match. In
his written evidence, Mr Evra said:
"There is no need for any player to be racially abusive towards another player, it's
completely out of order. I was so surprised because Suarez has played with many
black players and I don't think he's racist but I don't know why he said that."
233. In his oral evidence, after giving his account of what Mr Suarez said when they were in
the goalmouth, Mr Evra said:
"For me it was like I think a bad dream, because I respect so much that player"

rodvik

Yeah I think everyone thought the were his legs to begin with. Anyways gratz Jeff! What a great day. McCleish IN!

Labadal

I think most reasnable people think the ban is correct. He's going to be out for 8 games and 1 extra game for his stupid gesture to the Fulham crowd. It doesn't matter if you're racist or not, you do not pick on someone's skin colour to wind them up. Or for any other reason for that matter.

All I want is that FA will show consistency in decisions like this in the future. I think that is a reasonable request.

WJD

I'm going out but really can't be arsed. New Years is normally a huge anti climax.

Though hopefully I'll be too hammered to care tonight.

Don't think Suarez will get any joy on an appeal. His defence is very patchy. Liverpool in a tough place, appeal and risk an increase or accept it and effectively go back on what they've said till now. Dunno if they saw this detail before but to react as they did knowing all of this to me is bizarre.

Happy New Year Gaffers, going out I think to see some fireworks but it'll be boring as hell.

Labadal

I'm staying home this year. I'm not in the mood to go out.

The results this game week were enough fun for me. Probably going to watch the UFC replay after 12am, since I was to tired to watch yestetday.

elseanio

Yeah, I'm staying home tonight too. Not a big drinker, and it's all NYE is all about.

Gonna watch a few films at home with my Mum and Dad

PaulLFC

Can't really be arsed with New Years either this year. Happy New Year to everyone though!

OT5 will be on the way soon, anyone have any favourites for the topic title?

PaulLFC

Need to read more of the report before I can comment properly, all I'll say at the moment is the two summaries are very, very different.

PaulLFC

One thing that stood out for me, although I've not read the entire report: Evra's account says that he told the referee what he says Suarez had said to him at the time of the incident ("When the referee blew his whistle and called the players over to him shortly after the exchanges in the goalmouth, Mr Evra said to the referee..."). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the FA's original statement say "Referee Andre Marriner was made aware of an allegation at the end of the fixture and has reported this to the FA." - which one is it?

I think this case could go on for a while yet.

Dibbz

So Arsenal midfielder Frimpong is joining Wolves on loan from Jan 1st till end of season. Great news for him. Hopefully he has a good loan spell and fits right in the 1st 11 like Wilshire did.

rodvik

One thing that stood out for me, although I've not read the entire report: Evra's account says that he told the referee what he says Suarez had said to him at the time of the incident ("When the referee blew his whistle and called the players over to him shortly after the exchanges in the goalmouth, Mr Evra said to the referee..."). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the FA's original statement say "Referee Andre Marriner was made aware of an allegation at the end of the fixture and has reported this to the FA." - which one is it?

Paul, mate, gotta tell ya nobody outside of Liverpool thinks there is any problem here. Suarez wound up Evra using his skin colour. Neither the FA, or Evra are saying he is a racist, he just decided to use it to wind him up. Thats against the rules (its also dickish). Suarez has said he wont do it again and the FA believe him, so do I. Case seems pretty closed.

He is a great player who I cant wait to see come back and play but this sad incident seems to be done. It sucks we will miss his football for such a long period of time but he did it, nobody else.

PaulLFC

Paul, mate, gotta tell ya nobody outside of Liverpool thinks there is any problem here. Suarez wound up Evra using his skin colour. Neither the FA, or Evra are saying he is a racist, he just decided to use it to wind him up. Thats against the rules (its also dickish). Suarez has said he wont do it again and the FA believe him, so do I. Case seems pretty closed.

He is a great player who I cant wait to see come back and play but this sad incident seems to be done. It sucks we will miss his football for such a long period of time but he did it, nobody else.
I'm not disputing that if Suarez has said what Evra said he did, he should be banned as there's no place for that anywhere, not just in football. Just that part of the report stood out to me as strange.

dc89

Looking a little foolish after that statement and those t-shirts.

I was thinking this.

Look at how City have handled the whole Tevez saga right from this time last year when he handed in his first transfer request to right now.

Then contrast it to Liverpools statement. Different class. One is professional, the other personal.

Lakitu

st5fu
I was thinking this.

Look at how City have handled the whole Tevez saga right from this time last year when he handed in his first transfer request to right now.

Then contrast it to Liverpools statement. Different class. One is professional, the other personal.

Completely different situation. Why compare the two?

This may help. Seems Evra mentioned it to Marriner during the game but Marriner did not really notice/act upon it, then when the official complaint was made after the match, he began to log it.

Points 129-131 said:
Sir Alex and Mr Evra went to the referee's room. Sir Alex went in first, followed by Mr
Evra. Sir Alex told Mr Marriner that they had a complaint to make. Sir Alex told him "Evra
has been called a nigger by one of the Liverpool players." Sir Alex then motioned for Mr
Evra to tell the referee what had been said. The referee told Phil Dowd, the fourth official
who was also in the room, to take notes of what was said. Mr Evra then told the referee
what had been said to him on the pitch and left the room. The referee told Sir Alex that he
(the referee) would need to speak to Liverpool officials about the complaint.

Mr Evra said that he told the referee that Mr Suarez had called him a nigger. According to
Mr Evra, the referee said to him "Oh, that is why you were talking about being called
black", referring back to what Mr Evra had said to the referee on the pitch. Mr Evra said
"Yes."

Mr Marriner gave evidence about this in his witness statement (the contents of which, it
will be recalled, were also accepted by Mr Suarez). He said that Sir Alex told him that he
wished to register a formal complaint about a comment that was made to Mr Evra by a
Liverpool player. Sir Alex asked Mr Marriner to write down what they were about to say.
Mr Marriner then asked Mr Dowd to note down what Sir Alex and Mr Evra wished to say.
Mr Evra, speaking in English, then told Mr Marriner that during a coming together in the
penalty area in the second half of the match, Mr Suarez said to Mr Evra, "I don't talk to
you because you niggers". Mr Marriner told Sir Alex and Mr Evra that he would include
the incident in his report. He also told them that he needed to speak to the Liverpool
manager, Kenny Dalglish, in order to seek Mr Suarez's version of events.

dc89

So? Still completely different situations.

I never compared the situations. I just said that one club has been professional and been widely acknowledged as handling the statements well and the other has been heavily criticised for its statement.

Juve have Borriello deal

1m euro half-season loan + option to buy for 7.5m. I'm okay with this, as I've said before, but only if Iaquinta, Toni, and Amauri all leave this window. Borriello is a step up in current quality from each of these strikers (Toni is still more clinical, I reckon, than anyone up from except Matri and Quagliarella, but he clearly doesn't fit into Conte's attack which values mobile attackers or those who can test from anywhere, even outside the box, like Vucinic). I think the media will be quick to speculate that Borriello is coming to challenge Matri and basically knock Quagliarella out of contention. Those speculators would be wrong. Borriello is the alternative to Vucinic in a 4-3-3, or perhaps even an alternative to Pepe on the right. The right-footed Vucinic on the left, the left footed Borriello on the right means that at any given time our secondary strikers can cut in from the wing at any moment and unleash a shot. Iaquinta and Toni don't have the skillsets to allow for that type of movement.

Quote from Pepe more or less confirms the role I feel Borriello has to be playing for Juventus:

"The Coach hammered me right from the summer, saying I had to go deep and run towards the box, which is what I’ve been doing. I was a striker at the start of my career, so I had these characteristics, but Conte really helped me to refine them."

Pepe has his pace working for him, and he's been fortunate to score as much as he has, but he really doesn't offer the finishing threat like Borriello and Vucinic do. The price is also okay for redemption if he has a good season as we'll require the depth next season. He isn't a replacement for a WC striker, though, which will have to come in the summer.

I'm a little more uncertain about what David Pizarro will be able to offer us. I mean, he was a good playmaker, without question, for Roma but I think we hardly need a 32-year old covering for another 32-year old. We need the depth in the CM spot, and I think Pizarro is going to be incredibly cheap to buy (3-4m?), but what happened to Montolivo? As I've said numerous times, I question is ability to perform at the highest levels, but certainly he has a better upside than Pizarro. And he could apprentice Pirlo and replace him quite effectively. I'm wondering if its the potential lack of playing time in what's a pretty competitive midfield that's keeping him from joining us. I mean, really, he'd only play when one of Pirlo, Marchisio, and Vidal cannot.

Fady K

Thanks for that wonderful new year gift Chelsea. Disgusting. 3 points from a possible 12. Outside of one game - arguably the most difficult (against Tottenham) in the last four, the other 3 were purely disgusting. Scoring first and ending up with a draw and an embarrassing loss today.

Every time they had the chance to take advantage of a stumbling by Man U they stumble. Horrible performance. HORRIBLE. And Torres was excellent today.

Happy new year to all of you guys, and may the next year be one that is better for you not just with your clubs, but with your friends, families, and yourselves. I got to watch some live tennis for the first time today - I saw Nadal and Federer play a third place tennis match today (which was GLORIOUS), followed by a very dull final between Djokovic and Ferrer. (Ferrer was FAR too outclassed and the game was far too predictable).

God bless all of you :)

|OT5| The Iron Fady

<3

You should all join. ;)

It's great getting some faces on people, only know how a few people look this thread.

Alright, why not :)? It's awesome seeing many of you for the first time. A lot of you look very different compared to what I was expecting :).

My brother just text me the result. Aaaaaw yeah. Well done Jeffburn Rovers FC.

My bro did the same - and I swear one of the first thoughts that came to mind is "Chelsea will not take advantage of this I bet."

This Chelsea game is grim.

The team has been dreadful to watch IMO in 3 of the last 4 games outside of the Spurs game.

Good lord Fernando. More of the same please.

Our best player tonight IMO.

That reminds me: where's Fady? :/

Hey Fry! Happy New Year to you :) The game put me off pretty badly, I was expecting a dull game, I got something far worse.

Feorax

Happy new year football-GAF! Make the most of tonight, because tomorrow the transfer window opens and we have to deal with the fallout of todays results and Suarez-gate.

January will be chaos :p

xintin

I get why AVB gets the job security questions after every match, but it's getting old. He needs another transfer window or two to get a team together that is his team.

Anyways, Happy New Year! And may your night be filled with Balotelli-esque antics!

rodvik

I get why AVB gets the job security questions after every match, but it's getting old. He needs another transfer window or two to get a team together that is his team.

Anyways, Happy New Year! And may your night be filled with Balotelli-esque antics!

I think he will come good. He knows how he wants Chelsea to play, he doesnt whine when he loses, he doesnt crow when he wins.

All I can say is like Arsenal , Chelsea today forced us (Aston Villa) to play better, under him Chelsea are dynamic and interesting. IMHO in time they will become winning as well.

faridmon

Wow, what a crazy day. I knew from my brothers face that Cheslea have lost. I was in Leicester all day today and didn't enjoy the footy today. Hopefully Everton play good enough to win tomorrow. God knows we need it badly.

I'll repeat my Ot suggestion, hopefully some will like it: |OT| Welcome to Channel 5, Manchester!. or |OT| Welcome to Manchester, Channel 5

rodvik

Wow, what a crazy day. I knew from my brothers face that Cheslea have lost. I was in Leicester all day today and didn't enjoy the footy today. Hopefully Everton play good enough to win tomorrow. God knows we need it badly.

I'll repeat my Ot suggestion, hopefully some will like it: |OT| Welcome to Channel 5, Manchester!. or |OT| Welcome to Manchester, Channel 5

Lucky man. I miss Leicestershire :(

faridmon

Lucky man. I miss Leicestershire :(

It was actually quite a great trips and that was my first time being there. One thing that made me go WTF was the long stretching queue for busses. I always thought the jokes about English people liking queues were just a mere joke untill I have seen those lines in Haymarket shopping and Hicross shopping centre. I was really standing there baflled. They don't have that in Birmingham nor in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom