• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

spidye

It blows my mind that the striker with the most goals in bundesliga last season (Aubameyang) couldn't find a club to sign him.

Gave it all for us during this less than successful decade. Glad to see us moving on but very sad to see him go.

It was inevitable, but it's still sad.

Sad to see him go. Lucas always was one of my fav Liverpool players.

It was the right time tbh.

-----------

Liverpool's possible UCL opponents #lfc:
Viktoria Plzen/Steaua Bucharest
CSKA/AEK Club
Brugge/Basaksehir
Sporting
Hoffenheim
Nice
Young Boys

DBT85

The United match was dull as shit last night.

It blows my mind that the striker with the most goals in bundesliga last season (Aubameyang) couldn't find a club to sign him.
Could be people want him but not at whatever price is on his head.

DKehoe

He's been really vocal about wanting to go to Real Madrid at some point. I wonder if that has lessened his appeal for other clubs. They would have to pay a large amount to buy him and if/when Madrid come calling for him it will be hard to hold on to him

TeddyBoy

It's sad to see Lucas leave, I remember defending him back when he just joined us. He wasn't very good at first but grew accustomed to the DM role especially under Dalglish.

Sadly since that time he's started to fade from the first team, in part due to injuries and in part due to his more limited skill set for an increasingly competitive squad.

A true servant to the club.

And in my view, in recent Liverpool history, a legend.

It was the right time tbh.

-----------

Liverpool's possible UCL opponents #lfc:
Viktoria Plzen/Steaua Bucharest
CSKA/AEK Club
Brugge/Basaksehir
Sporting
Hoffenheim
Nice
Young Boys

I've been to watch Nice play in their home stadium, it's a lovely place and they're shite, so lets hope we get them :lol

We'd also get to see Super Mario play against us!

Syder

Conte signs new two-year contract
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has signed an improved two-year deal with the Premier League champions.

The new deal does not extend Conte's commitment to the club, as he signed a three-year contract on his arrival in west London in the summer of 2016.

"I am very happy to have signed a new contract," said the Italian, 47.

"We worked extremely hard in our first year to achieve something amazing, which I am very proud of. Now we must work even harder to stay at the top."

The decision to sign a new contract without extending the terms runs counter to previous comments by Conte, who had indicated his willingness to commit to a longer deal.

Syder

I don't believe it. I refuse to believe it.
No way we sign Keita, Hernández and Arnautović.

It'll probably be Arnautović and then someone else will steal the other two deals at the last minute.
Interesting that he didn't sign for more years, just more money.
because he could easily leave and get paid more. His wife still hasn't moved to England.

DBT85

I think it's been pretty obvious from the get-go that he's not here for the long haul. He's probably only sticking around to see if he can win the CL with Chelsea next year.

I mean....he's managing Chelsea. Everyone knows he's not here for the long haul. Didn't even need to know who was getting the job to know that.

CrayToes

I mean....he's managing Chelsea. Everyone knows he's not here for the long haul. Didn't even need to know who was getting the job to know that.

You just wonder whether he'll be one of the rare few that gets to decide when to leave.

Sacked by crimbo

Syder

Wouldn't you know it? The one I'm least bothered about.
Our priority should be:
  1. Hernández
  2. Keita Baldé
  3. Arnautović
I'd happily see both Sakho and Carroll out the back door if we can get Hernández. It'd give more time for the likes of Antonio, Fletcher, Ayew and, if need be, Martínez to partner Chicharito.

casiopao

Juve won't sign Shick. Very strange situation.

Even his NT teammates already chimed that Schick had some heart problem.

Juventus probably wanted a 1 year loan deal with option to buy next year so they can monitor his condition but Sampdoria seems to want to make big buck immediately here.

A £66mil Keita bid rejected. Klopp really wants this guy but I doubt we're getting him. The thing is he has a release clause next season, but if we're already throwing this many resources at this point I worry there's no backup plan and he's supposed to be a new key to our midfield...

A £66mil Keita bid rejected. Klopp really wants this guy but I doubt we're getting him. The thing is he has a release clause next season, but if we're already throwing this many resources at this point I worry there's no backup plan and he's supposed to be a new key to our midfield...
Prices are getting insane. The inflation on players this year is sort of blowing my mind. I'm not sure if I'm more surprised at the PL flashing this cash or the European Leagues for having the ability to turn down such stupid offers.

I will be very disappointed if Alexis continue playing for Arsenal :-/
Why? He's doing fantastically there. If Man City want him, I'm not so sure, they have some stunning young talent on their wings and I'd not want them to suffer for Sanchez but also Sanchez has a lot less space to drop in quality in the next few years before being booted out of first team.

T-Rex.

Banned
Interestingly, Joyce mentioned that we have a back up for Keita, but Van Dijk is our only CB target.

Moobabe

The market is craaaazy right now. Bakayoko for £40m vs Keita who's approaching world record offers! What is going on!?

I told people this wasn't going to happen. Better to go for him next year when he has his release clause. Or maybe see how the season play out for them and maybe by December they will be willing to sell if the season isn't playing out well for them.

They do, but we're talking about a guy who's had one good (?) season and Liverpool are spunking it all on him

Mbappe has had one good season under his belt and teams were willing to pay £100 million. I don't see what's the problem. Anyway I think Liverpool would be better to wait until next year when his release clause is £48 million.

Moobabe

Mbappe has had one good season under his belt and teams were willing to pay £100 million. I don't see what's the problem. Anyway I think Liverpool would be better to wait until next year when his release clause is £48 million.

I'm not saying it's a problem exclusive to Liverpool, but if you don't see that this spending is a problem then there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.

Feels like competition for him could be much higher by then?

tim.mbp

DFDYbUTXoAIDFOn.jpg

I'm not saying it's a problem exclusive to Liverpool, but if you don't see that this spending is a problem then there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.

Oh I do see it as a problem and I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately it's the way the market is going and it doesn't look to end anytime soon. I mean seriously, £54 million for Kyle Walker? Kyle fucking Walker. And yeah I know "English player, Premiere League proven etc etc" ...but he isn't worth anywhere near £54 million but Man City was willing to pay for it.

Feels like competition for him could be much higher by then?

Depends if the player really wants to play for Klopp like the media are saying. If he really wants to play for Liverpool, then next year it won't be an issue. I think Klopp wanted to give the title a push this season and thinking Keita would be the key man to help him with that push.

RocknRola

Bayern - Arsenal starting now. Unfortunately I will not be able to watch it, I will just peek from time to time.

Poor Arsenal. Can't even do well against Bayern in a friendly :p Even the refs are trying to help Arsenal hehe They just called offside on a clean play that ended in another Bayern goal.

casiopao

Poor Arsenal. Can't even do well against Bayern in a friendly :p Even the refs are trying to help Arsenal hehe They just called offside on a clean play that ended in another Bayern goal.

Well, the first penalty is kinda terrible call though.T_T But Arsenal indeed is not doing that well.

RocknRola

Well, the first penalty is kinda terrible call though.T_T But Arsenal indeed is not doing that well.

I'm just teasing hehe :p These friendlies don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, so it's fine. The coaches aren't necessarily looking for victories in these matches.

Top Bottom