• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

@SkyKaveh
Chelsea want to buy another four players this summer. Shortlist includes Alex Sandro, Fernando Llorente, Antonio Candreva & Virgil Van Dijk

Oh yes. Sandro and Van Dijk please.

Also saw this lol:

DFiBvJfWAAAawKF.jpg

casiopao

Bernadeschi to Juventus is done for 40 mil. Considering this is one of the biggest fee Bianconeri had use recently, i hope he did really well with us.

Ohh boi. From only Dybala as our source of creativity last year to now Dybala, Costa and Bernadeschi is crazy bruh.

casiopao

One of life's great mysteries will forever be how/why we sold the premier leagues best ever player for just 16m.

Only Arsenal...

Well Juventus also sold Coman, Vidal and Bonucci for quite some paltry sum there. Not a great seller Juventus is.T_T

TrueBlue

One of life's great mysteries will forever be how/why we sold the premier leagues best ever player for just 16m.

Only Arsenal...

That does seem mental considering how things are today. At his peak, he'd surely be close to Ronaldo in terms of price if sold today.

Moobabe

Kenedy has been sent home from our pre-season tour for his "Fuck China" comments.

What an idiot - great opportunity to impress in pre-season, show you can play in a number of positions and throw it away and, now, inevitably go out on loan.

Apparently sources close to Watford said he had an attitude problem while he was there last season as well. These kids have no idea how good they have it.

Kenedy has been sent home from our pre-season tour for his "Fuck China" comments.

What an idiot - great opportunity to impress in pre-season, show you can play in a number of positions and throw it away and, now, inevitably go out on loan.

Apparently sources close to Watford said he had an attitude problem while he was there last season as well. These kids have no idea how good they have it.

But didn't he assure us that he didnt't mean to offend anyone with his offensive comments? :p

Danchi

What was Henry's contract situation? I think, like Fabregas, it was also a situation of him only wanting to go to one club so Arsenal couldn't take advantage of a bidding war.

I think £45m for Siggurdsson is mental, but we all said the same thing when Everton bought Bolasie for £25m last year.

Bournemouth will be asking £65m for Josh King next season...

What was Henry's contract situation? I think, like Fabregas, it was also a situation of him only wanting to go to one club so Arsenal couldn't take advantage of a bidding war.

I thought he had signed a four year contract the year before so went to look it up and found this on an old Guardian article regarding Wenger.

"Wenger will honour the remaining 12 months of his contract but he is likely to feel under strain with the burden that has been placed on his shoulders. The uncertainty surrounding his own future is likely to hamper attempts to purchase the "super-class" signings he is seeking to attract to the Emirates."

Arsenal forever stuck in 2007.

@SkyKaveh
Chelsea want to buy another four players this summer. Shortlist includes Alex Sandro, Fernando Llorente, Antonio Candreva & Virgil Van Dijk

Meanwhile the London Evening Standard claims Chelsea is after 4 targets, Van Dijk isn't one of them.

casiopao

@SkyKaveh

Well, u guys may get Sandro for 120 mil. Deal?^_^

I dont see Sandro moving out though considering the rumour recently seems to have died out while Juventus seems to consider him much more important player vs Bonucci or Alves.

Moobabe

Meanwhile the London Evening Standard claims Chelsea is after 4 targets, Van Dijk isn't one of them.

Standard are usually pretty good on Chelsea rumours. Also - after signing Rudiger (and keeping Christensen) I don't want another 50m CB (especially one with such a shitty attitude)

GHG

Gold Member

I think £45m for Siggurdsson is mental, but we all said the same thing when Everton bought Bolasie for £25m last year.

Bournemouth will be asking £65m for Josh King next season...

Henry had injury and personal issues (divorce with his then wife) in his last season at Arsenal and wanted a change of scenery along with a shot at winning the champions league. I don't think Barcelona had the money they have now at the time and Wenger was feeling sentimental. It all came together and we ended up practically giving him away. It still annoys me to this day.

RocknRola

https://twitter.com/Wolves/status/889772901347491840
Announcing Jota...

season long loan, option to buy
B9BgiJO.jpg

Huh. 3rd Porto (well, technically Atletico's but he played for Porto last season) player for Wolves, right?

I still feel NES is gonna be their weakest link, but who knows. He may actually change his style of play for once. His biggest fault at Porto was never changing his style of play, betting excessively on possession even when he really needed to just go all out on attack to win the games.

sammex

This Liverpool football writer Tomkins does a lot of work on trying to estimate football inflation and has worked out what old transfers would be worth in today's market. (it's an estimation based on the ratio of transfer fee to transfer record or something like that - more at the bottom of the chart) He's saying that players are 19 times more expensive than they were When Football Began™ in 1992.

Unfortunately it's only for players bought in the PL so can't see what Henry would be (that'd need to be worked out vs the record signing in la liga at the time).

RocknRola

Real Madrid have reached an "agreement in principle" to pay Monaco up to €180m (£161m) for Kylian Mbappé, according to reports in the Spanish capital.

giphy.webp

..... fuck it, the market went full on crazy this year. If this + Neymar to PSG happen it'll be the most insane Summer Transfers Window ever.

Lukaku, Morata, Mendy, Bernardo Silva, Danilo, Bakayoko, Kyle Walker, Lacazette, Lindelof, Ederson, Salah, Nelson Semedo, Vitolo, Theo Hernandez, Bernardeschi, Bonucci, Skriniar, Andre Silva.... these are all 30M€ + transfers alone. Crazy.

Bernadeschi to Juventus is done for 40 mil. Considering this is one of the biggest fee Bianconeri had use recently, i hope he did really well with us.

Ohh boi. From only Dybala as our source of creativity last year to now Dybala, Costa and Bernadeschi is crazy bruh.

Fiorentina fans seem pretty pissed.

DFk0V0lWsAAf-vZ.jpg

my Italian isn't that great but it says something like "strung up by your balls"

Chelsea-Bayern to start in half an hour, kinda curious.

Why do Pool want Keita so badly, for that money they could surely get a different cm, hell maybe even 2.
Keira must be like really extra special or something.
Tbh this keita saga has me worried.
I remember klopp saying how the pogba deal was crazy and he couldn't see himself doing that yet this summer he seems to have forgotten what he said.

RocknRola

Meanwhile Bayern is taking revenge on Chelsea for their Milan defeat.

Edit: As I type this they score one more. What a fantastic goal too!

And here I was thinking that Man United only use youth during their years of glory and would never do such a thing as buy the league /s

I'm actually surprised how little Man City are featured on that list. Really highlights how little Liverpool and Arsenal have done at the upper end of the market really. Pretty much as close as you can get to proof that money is what wins you titles.

RocknRola

Bayern really seems to be on a different level almost (compared to Chelsea) in this game.

Of course, these pre-season games don't mean that much as far as results go. Pretty sure both teams will end up doing a great season on their respective leagues, as per usual.

Top Bottom