• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

RocknRola

First 30 minutes were dreadful but we've been decent since then.

The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half weren't particularly great for Chelsea either. Bayern, while not being able to score, basically attacked at will and stopped Chelsea in their own midfield.

Though the last 30 minutes have been better, much better, by Chelsea.

Edit: Entertaining match all in all.

casiopao

Fiorentina fans seem pretty pissed.

DFk0V0lWsAAf-vZ.jpg

my Italian isn't that great but it says something like "strung up by your balls"

Chelsea-Bayern to start in half an hour, kinda curious.

Well, Juventus had historic bad relation with Viola there. So the fact that Bernadeschi choose to move to Juventus is again one crazy move which i even not sure could happen but i sure as hell is damn happy right now with our mercato lol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ajax have stated that Abdelhak Nouri is in a stable condition and has full control of his breathing but the brain damage will be permanent.

:(

Nice to see this thread more active btw

TimmmV

And here I was thinking that Man United only use youth during their years of glory and would never do such a thing as buy the league /s

I'm actually surprised how little Man City are featured on that list. Really highlights how little Liverpool and Arsenal have done at the upper end of the market really. Pretty much as close as you can get to proof that money is what wins you titles.

Yeah, that's always been a massive lie, and makes United fans saying Chelsea/City just buy the league even more annoying - they're just mad someone else is able to do it for the first time since the mid 90's.

It also shows how good Wenger was to compete with them with so much less money. For all that modern football seems to have left him behind a bit, he has done really well with the budget Arsenal have vs the other big teams

Moobabe

Ajax have stated that Abdelhak Nouri is in a stable condition and has full control of his breathing but the brain damage will be permanent.

:(

Nice to see this thread more active btw

Tragic. I can only assume testing for cardiac issues have become way more intense since the Muamba incident, but maybe more needs to be done.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Neymar has requested that after he joins PSG, Les Parisiens sign Philippe Coutinho & 2 other world class players, according to Le Parisien.

😂😂😂😂

Because that's believable

DBT85

Yeah, that's always been a massive lie, and makes United fans saying Chelsea/City just buy the league even more annoying - they're just mad someone else is able to do it for the first time since the mid 90's.

My issue has always been if the owners leave what happens to the club and the spending. If Chelsea and City and psg were to go in to fan ownership tomorrow they'd be fucked. Pool, arse, Utd, etc would be perfectly fine.

Moobabe

My issue has always been if the owners leave what happens to the club and the spending. If Chelsea and City and psg were to go in to fan ownership tomorrow they'd be fucked. Pool, arse, Utd, etc would be perfectly fine.

We're TRYING to get better - we've stopped outlaying insane amounts of money and are trying to, at least, recoup spend on players.

I don't have the figures to hand, but over the past 3/4 seasons I think we might be working in a profit in the transfer market.

Edit

But yeah, we'd still be fucked.

DBT85

We're TRYING to get better - we've stopped outlaying insane amounts of money and are trying to, at least, recoup spend on players.

I don't have the figures to hand, but over the past 3/4 seasons I think we might be working in a profit in the transfer market.

Edit

Chelsea at least to have some legit sponsors lol

TimmmV

I think in all of those cases it would depend on how the owners sell the club really - but yeah in the long term, United/Liverpool would be more able to recover financially than the others.

Still, as a fan of a rival club, do you really care about what could happen to City if it all goes tits up? I doubt them getting relegated to division 2 bothered you too much when it happened 15ish years ago!

Edit

Isn't a lot of that down to the spurious massive transfers to Chinese clubs though?

DBT85

I think in all of those cases it would depend on how the owners sell the club really - but yeah in the long term, United/Liverpool would be more able to recover financially than the others.

Still, as a fan of a rival club, do you really care about what could happen to City if it all goes tits up? I doubt them getting relegated to division 2 bothered you too much when it happened 15ish years ago!

The more misery that befalls the club the better lol. With that said, however, I don't think it's healthy for football. It is what it is though, I doubt the owners are going anywhere and the governing bodies seem fine with dodgy sponsorship deals as a means to transfer cash around so it won't go anywhere either.

Neymar stays at Barca if it wasn't for oil money, and City would probably be in the first division. So entertainment is lost whichever way you slice it ;)

TimmmV

Money is money ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You'd take that money if you could! :p

I'm not having a go!

Just pointing out that a lot of Chelsea's transfer income is from China, which and plenty of people have pointed out how that may well ultimately come from Abramovic anyway

The more misery that befalls the club the better lol. With that said, however, I don't think it's healthy for football. It is what it is though, I doubt the owners are going anywhere and the governing bodies seem fine with dodgy sponsorship deals as a means to transfer cash around so it won't go anywhere either.

Neymar stays at Barca if it wasn't for oil money, and City would probably be in the first division. So entertainment is lost whichever way you slice it ;)

Yeah, but you can't really begrudge these teams doing so, seeing as the really big clubs created the environment where it was necessary to have a chance of winning anything.

And plus City getting money has stopped United from winning stuff, which entertained me at least!

Yes, and denied Liverpool winning the league too :'(. Fuckers.

DBT85

Yeah, but you can't really begrudge these teams doing so, seeing as the really big clubs created the environment where it was necessary to have a chance of winning anything.

And plus City getting money has stopped United from winning stuff, which entertained me at least!

Yes, and denied Liverpool winning the league too :'(. Fuckers.

Arse managed ok buying the French younglings and pensioners, even Chelsea were nearly there before Abramovic arrived. Pool a fee years back came close.

Leeds and Newcastle tried burning money and nearly made it and then nearly died.

Tbh I just want United to fucking batter teams like we used to. It's been too long. Jose at least has a history of letting teams off the leash once they smell blood rather than settling for 3-0 so maybe I'll get my wish this year, though we need someone to score 15+ from midfield.

I don't take football as seriously as most, just want us to put the ball in the net.

Simon Stone @sistoney67
Jose confirms his two targets - "A midfield player and an attacking player through the wings. I never speak about other club's players."
5:08 PM - 25 Jul 2017

TrueBlue

FWIW, I wouldn't wish it on any club to go down the toilet, or hell, to suddenly become much less competitive due to financial issues.

The forner especially must be incredibly distressing if you're a fan of said club.

faridmon

Monaco are making dem monies.

Bloody hell, they must have accumulated more than £250 Million already and still retain good amount of their talent.

You do know that both City and Chelsea are now very wealthy clubs and the money used in transfers has been within the clubs means for a good time now. FFP even though not as stringent as it once was has made this the case and also forced out round about ways of financing things like player wages. It also sorted out some shady sponsorship deals that look weak in comparison to where that market went. If things did change ownership wise there would be no problem for City as they are debt free and their revenue is very high and in profit. Similar case for PSG.

If it were the case that the clubs were to become fan owned City and PSG would actually be two of the healthiest clubs to do so, they lack the debt carried by other clubs and have had the highest levels of scrutiny (in football) on their accounts due to the level of money invested. How much they could invest would be down to what the outgoing payments are in place per year for existing players to other clubs and if worst came to worst they would have to borrow money which would just put them in the same position as the other big clubs though that isn't really a viable option for fan owned clubs long term and why clubs like Dortmand worked their arses off to clear it.

Chelsea's don't technically have debt but if Abramovich decided to be a cunt he could drop one hefty figure on the club. Any difficulty would all depend on that. The clubs that would have the hardest time going into fan ownership would be those in the biggest debt.

The only period that "concerns" about City and PSG were accurate was in the initial investment period before FFP came in. That has been long over and both clubs are in the healthiest positions they have ever been and two of if not the healthiest clubs fiscally, even though they might not quite be at the levels of Real and United revenue wise. Not far behind though with the fastest growth.

https://i.imgur.com/ZdcmfYz.jpg[IMG]

Serious questions have to be asked of Guardiola if doesn't bring home some major silverware next season with this.[/QUOTE]

I really really hope he wins jack shit. Then people can finally get off his dick for him being such a "brilliant" manager.

ZdcmfYz.jpg

Serious questions have to be asked of Guardiola if doesn't bring home some major silverware next season with this.

Yup. Big time. Though Douglas Luiz is incorrect in that image, he is going to Girona (hasn't been announced but is training with them in Manchester at the moment).

What's the rule on English players?

8 home grown players but they don't actually need to be British just played for three years in England before 21.

Going by the current team sheet (subject to change) those that qualify are: Gunn, Adarabioyo, Stones, Walker, Denayar, Delph, Garcia (likely going to Girona), Sterling, Roberts. Angelino and Maffeo are also on the list but they are both going on loan.

Denayer and Delph look likely to go. There is now space in the team for Roberts now Navas has gone but that will depend on the training in the off season. There have been rumours that Foden and Diaz will make the cut.

Top Bottom