• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

for you guys that like numbers, MS in deep red

quetz67

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Too Human? Why not Gears of War, Blue Dragon, or Mass Effect? They're all coming out way before Too Human will and they're all being published by MS.

I think it's obvious why you want to focus on Too Human though. The more bad press for MS, the harder your penis gets.
I talked about IPs that have been hyped for several console generations already, thats why I mentioned Too Human.

I dont know what press Too Human got, I didnt care since it is on a platform I proabably wont get and has nothing to do with the game many were waiting for. But that makes it a good example, the game doesnt count, just the name.

Blimblim said:
MS owns or shares the intellectual property of every "important" components of the 360. CPU, GPU and scaler.
See I can understand that, but I don't see IBM letting MS give schematics of the chip to manufacturers that aren't partners with IBM. What I am getting at is IBM wouldn't want someone like Intel to have the exact schematics required for manufacturing the PPC design. That is just all hypothetically speaking of course.

Benadryl Hitman said:
See I can understand that, but I don't see IBM letting MS give schematics of the chip to manufacturers that aren't partners with IBM. What I am getting at is IBM wouldn't want someone like Intel to have the exact schematics required for manufacturing the PPC design.
Maybe you're right, in some way. Actually the 360's CPU is being manufactured by Chartered Semiconductors, which I believe it's IBM's partner. This way IBM isn't giving away their schematics, right? If this is true, it could mean that MS can give out production only to IBM partners.

JoJo13

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Infact, we are not saying this. We're simply stating how winth the first Xbox MS was strictly binded to nVidia, while now they can give maufacturing to the cheapest producer.
This still doesn't mean that manufactures will give M$ a cheap deal. If sales of X360 are lower then expected, why would manufactures want to fight over a contract of a product that can't even meet sales.

Benadryl Hitman said:
I understand that a company can customize IBM's chips, but I just find it a little odd that they would allow you to take off with chips based off their technology and have it fabbed by someone else.

The part you may be missing is that IBM are still receiving royalties on each chip manufactured elsewhere under this agreement -- they can let Microsoft go off to have chips fabbed elsewhere and continue to get paid for it.

JoJo13

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
In the last financial update MS sait they're in track wit sales, so I think it isn't an issue.
10 million units sold by the end of this year or bust, that is all I need to know.

when its all said and done the only reason for the MS money losing point and laugh is that this is indeed the last month where hardcore sony fans will be able to yuck it up at the expense of microsoft. We'll see who's laughing in the months follwing the ps3 launch where sony is losing $300+ per console. hmmm.

quetz67 said:
OK, so Halo 3 is the saviour now. Makes sense...or...maybe all the people who think Halo 3 is a must have did already buy a 360 anyway?

Honestly how many people really purchase a console 2 years in advance for a game. I know a bunch of PS3 fans say they are getting it for MGS4. How many of you that really want it for MGS4 will purchase ASAP.

quetz67

Banned
MobiusPigeon said:
when its all said and done the only reason for the MS money losing point and laugh is that this is indeed the last month where hardcore sony fans will be able to yuck it up at the expense of microsoft. We'll see who's laughing in the months follwing the ps3 launch where sony is losing $300+ per console. hmmm.
Oh, suddenly they lose money? Thought it was RAPE time

But actually that is not the point. You can survive long term by either making profitable hardware (like Nintendo) or sell so much consoles (and over more than 4 years) that fixed costs like R&D and marketing dont matter much and early per machine losses are balanced out by later per machine profits.

Microsoft seems not to know what they want. After not being able to produce profitable hardware they should do EVERYTHING to get as many consoles out as possible to get as much money back from games as possible and to have a stronger position next gen.

quetz67

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Honestly how many people really purchase a console 2 years in advance for a game. I know a bunch of PS3 fans say they are getting it for MGS4. How many of you that really want it for MGS4 will purchase ASAP.
It is not that people are purchasing a console in advance for a game, just that many Halo fans are xbox fans anyway. Most people dont buy a console for one game, neither Halo nor MGS (I did for Halo 2 but only to sell it again after a week)

jarrod

Banned
quetz67 said:
Microsoft seems not to know what they want. After not being able to produce profitable hardware they should do EVERYTHING to get as many consoles out as possible to get as much money back from games as possible and to have a stronger position next gen.
360 really seems like an effort in eventually minimizing losses, not elimating them outright. It's a fantastic hardware design though, with plenty of room for shrinks and cost reductions over the course, even if it doesn't clear 100m.... I wonder if the same holds true for PS3? Will PlayStation 3 still eventually make a return of it only moves 50 million units?

Also, maybe Microsoft should start a new Electronics branch to help hide H&E expendatures. Though I guess including MAC Office is basically the same thing. ;)

NG_Kris

Vigo the Carpathian said:
Good stuff huh? They are setting themselves up as Sony's personal hit squad. I expect great threads linked to that site in the coming months.

Again, they are the ones that spread the 'news' that Dead Rising was killing X360's and that whole EA thing too.

And they ahd the exclusive info that 8.3 million want the PS3 at full price while only 800k want a 360.

Dude, seriously. Please try to find where we reported on Dead Rising "killing" 360s, or even where were reported any alleged Dead Rising/360 problems. Also, I have no idea what EA thing you're talking about, so if you can show me where we wrote about whatever that is that'd be great. Maybe we did run a story, I can't remember, but I'd like to know what you're talking about. Next-Gen's not perfect, but if we didn't do something, I'd rather people not say that we did on a public forum.

It's funny how you think we're the Major Nelson of Sony, btw. Geez, even Sony PR made comments to me at E3 about how Next-Gen isn't "open-minded" enough or too pessimistic about the price point and the future of the PS3.

Read the subject article (which I wrote). We think the Xbox biz will achieve profitability by fiscal 08 BECAUSE of the near-term losses. You accuse us of bias, but the thing is, you only get your panties in a knot when there's even the slightest hint of bad 360 news.

And also addressing some comments that the figures were "old," the figures were old because this was an analysis piece. We used old figures to outline the recent past and then talk to analysts and go by our own intuition as to where things may lead. The figures weren't the news of the piece. They were the news of the forum post.

And as far as the survey, we've already gone over that.

Sorry for the slight OT, all.

Top Bottom