• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Marvel & DC Fans: Stop Rooting Against Each Other's Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The good thing about rivalry is how each company will try to one up each other. DC announced a movie slate, then Marvel followed with a movie slate of their own complete with logos and everything. Yesterday's Marvel event will probably force WB/DC to hold their own WB/DC event (with a BvS teaser pls)

I'm looking forward to all of Marvel movies, except the Thor movie because lol Thor who cares.

I wonder if DC's movies will be just as cooke cutter and homogenized as Marvel's? I'm hoping that DC actually lets writers/directors execute their visions. No matter how many times people say each Marvel film is it's own genre, I can't help but see just how similar they all are?

Given the difference in tone between Arrow and Flash tv series, I think that is what they intend to do.

Penguin

...does it really, though?

In some ways it does
I recorded a podcast yesterday, and noted things like the success of the Batman films allowed Warner to have faith in Nolan to make things like Inception and Interstellar.

The Russos have become household names.

I think folks like Hemsworth and even Bale were given a lot of notoriety for their films.
The good thing about rivalry is how each company will try to one up each other. DC announced a movie slate, then Marvel followed with a movie slate of their own complete with logos and everything. Yesterday's Marvel event will probably force WB/DC to hold their own WB/DC event (with a BvS teaser pls)

I'm looking forward to all of Marvel movies, except the Thor movie because lol Thor who cares.

I was thinking about this as well yesterday

It's cool, but it's also sad to think we won't really have any major new film announcements for the next 2-3 years from either one of them.

So for people at home during SDCC, it's gonna be about footage we can't see...

How can there be a War when there is only one playing?

Make Mine Marvel.

I've never recovered from the dismal Green Lantern. Hal was my Favorite character from DC growing up.

Just means we get more from the info side of things, they didn't just magically put Black Panther and Ms. Marvel into production in the last few weeks.

Penguin

How can there be a War when there is only one playing?

Make Mine Marvel.

I've never recovered from the dismal Green Lantern. Hal was my Favorite character from DC growing up.

Well that's your problem there! ;p

My least favorite GL, and for all the flank Aquaman gets, surprised GL recovered from his Superfriends days of being stopped by piss.

JLA_Avengers_Vol_1_1_Wrap_Around.jpg
Why does Scarlet Witch look like someone's tacky aunt?

Did he really spend a bunch of time writing an article asking people on the internet to stop getting into nerd fights?

Exactly.

At least he didn't say "superhero movies are dead", I don't want to imagine the backlash from that.

Dryk

I am wary of companies with spotty track records flooding a growing market with imitations of a successful product and the effect this tends to have on consumer behaviour

I might have some faith in DC if the creative force behind it wasn't the man responsible for Sucker Punch.

Zack Snyder was always a really good visual director (the visual aspects of MoS were glorious). The scripting and dialogue of the movie was mostly in Goyer's hands and that is changing to another writer now, who's already scrapped all the work done on BvS. This doesn't guarantee a great movie but I don't think Goyer was always up to snuff on writing, he had Jonathan Nolan as a partner for the bat trilogy.

Parch

DC vs Marvel has happened long before the movies, but the comic book industry has been so small over the last decade or so that it's more of a friendly war between comic fans.

It has never been to the level of videogames. I think fanboyism is a major problem in the video game industry. It's ridiculously immature, and I've never felt the comic industry ever reach those levels.

I don't want DC movies to be bad but when their tent poles are headlines by the Man of Steel team I'm bummed. I'd be equally disappointed if Avengers was being done by Alan Taylor.

Dysun

I like comic books, and enjoy both companies. I must be weird, because I want nothing more than for them to all be successful

Except FF, Marvel needs Doom and Galactus

BadAss2961

I wonder if DC's movies will be just as cooke cutter and homogenized as Marvel's? I'm hoping that DC actually lets writers/directors execute their visions. No matter how many times people say each Marvel film is it's own genre, I can't help but see just how similar they all are?
The shared universe thing might encroach a little, but not to the extent of Marvel's productions. WB/New Line actually make real films.

MisterHero

He's articulate and well-meaning but he's ignoring that fan heat can drive sales even higher. What's good for business can't be completely bad. Amirite?

It's the new/old Star Trek vs. Star Wars.
Star Trek is better

kunonabi

I root against DC because they've made it impossible for me to enjoy Superman on the big screen. I just don't like their approach to adapting comic book heroes and would rather spend my money elsewhere.

Cheebo

Banned
I root against DC because they've made it impossible for me to enjoy Superman on the big screen. I just don't like their approach to adapting comic book heroes and would rather spend my money elsewhere.
Because you don't like their superman you root against their upcoming wonder woman, aquaman, shaman, etc films?

This was expected. DC vs Marvel is THE granddaddy of all fanboy/nerd culture wars. It almost warms my heart to see it reignited so much for the younger generation.

That said, I've always been more on Team DC and I still don't think they can beat Marvel. I want them to succeed, but thus far they haven't inspired much confidence. On the other hand, we haven't really seen how they'll be handling things and won't for another 2 years or so.

The whole thing at this point is really less of a fanboy war and either more of a David (DC) vs Goliath (Marvel) narrative or a... Corporate (DC) vs Creative (Marvel) narrative. Although they're obviously both corporate, but you get the picture.

liquidtmd

Banned
You'd have said 10 years ago we'd be getting a Batman Trilogy, a Batman Vs Supes film on the horizon, MOS being a fun romp, the intrigue of Justice League being taken seriously, Iron Man becoming one of the most beloved comic book characters amongst film goers, a quite good Avengers flick directed by the buffy guy, Captain America: TWS being perhaps a personal favourite, Thor movies that are quite solid, the prospect of a Thanos Gauntlet series....you would have been locked up.

Enjoy em both kids. You aint never had so good.

DC films go for the emotional core
Marvel films go for the entertainment core

DC will have a pretty hard time because envoking emotion is the hardest thing to do in movies, especially comic book movies.

Look at all the Marvel and DC movies. Marvel movies rarely had times that were what people would call 'Beautiful and Emotional evoking scenes' they are fun and fast and moving the story forward. DC movies on the other hand have always tried to evoke the inner emotion, from the very first Superman movie, the score of that movie from the first second evokes emotion, Jor-el's speech in the first superman movie evokes emotion, that scene in Superman returns going up into the clouds trying to get the sun to recharge has that emotion, the final 30 seconds of the dark knight, the final 5 minutes of the dark knight rises, you don't see that emotion in any of the marvel movies which is why Marvel movies succeed where it has to and DC movies don't always because if you dont get the response from the viewer, then people will just go for entertainment popcorn fun.

The only emotion envoking Marvel comics film is Raimi Spiderman and even that is not run by Marvel films. I mean the Spiderman 3 sandman creation scene is one of the most beautiful scenes on film but it would have never happened that way if Marvel had its way

Village

I feel the person who wrote this article tried to put the two on even grounds in terms of fan reception to film quality

I feel like most people aren't rooting against each other

Most people are just shitting on DC

Mario007

In some ways it does
I recorded a podcast yesterday, and noted things like the success of the Batman films allowed Warner to have faith in Nolan to make things like Inception and Interstellar.

The Russos have become household names.

I think folks like Hemsworth and even Bale were given a lot of notoriety for their films.

I was thinking about this as well yesterday

It's cool, but it's also sad to think we won't really have any major new film announcements for the next 2-3 years from either one of them.

So for people at home during SDCC, it's gonna be about footage we can't see...
MoS2 and Batman standalone are still to be announced. Plus Vertigo stuff.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Just means we get more from the info side of things, they didn't just magically put Black Panther and Ms. Marvel into production in the last few weeks.

Sure, Marvel already had those movies planned but if WB/DC wouldn't have announced their slate that included a woman led superhero solo film then I don't think Marvel would've felt compelled to reveal their entire Phase 3 lineup now, instead of waiting until after Avengers 2.

It's definitely, imo, a reactionary move but there's nothing wrong with that. If anything it forces WB/DC to do something similar now.

Comic movie nerd wars are so dumb. Even dumber than something like mobile phone or video game console fanboys because at least there people are usually locking themselves into a piece of expensive hardware which might explain their irrational ferver. Like, an Apple fan is going to buy an iPhone and not an android phone. But most people on either side of this "comic" war are going to watch all of these movies. Marvel fanboys are going to watch Justice League. They are going to contribute money to DC/WB. So where exactly is the beef?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom