• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

Dynasty

Good HR would know that by protecting the employees from this and taking it seriously that you are in fact helping the company.

This is just shitty HR.

Not if you are able to silence the victim and protect the more valuable employee, this works out better for the company because they are able to get rid of the problem, keep the valuable employee and go on as if nothing has changed. Obviously this is a risk and this plan falls apart if the victim speaks out as in this case, which can makes matters worse. The HR took a gamble and appears to have potentially bit them in the ass now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised, it happens everywhere. Really awful things happen all the time that big corporations pay hush money to cover up, too. Definitely will affect what I buy from here on out with regard to kideo games. You do not just accept that this happens. I'll put my money where my mouth is, to show that this is unacceptable and they will not make money off of me.

Dice//

Banned
Every industry about to get exposed

I honestly wonder (and hope) that recent news of people coming forward has a lot of creeps sweating right now.

I do wonder if exposing names is a good idea. Harassers deserve punishment, but internet-mobbing doesn't sound like an ideal solution if it inevitably came down to it (which it seems to often).

It's in all industries because it's in culture.

It's not even about culture. It's about being human. Sex is basically what we're built for, fundamentally. Give a person enough power, and let that person be just sociopathic enough that they don't give a fuck about how they make other people feel, and you get shit like this. Regardless of "industry", or "culture", or whatever else. It's just everywhere where there's people.

Dan1984uk

Banned
Very brave of him to expose this, glad he did, I feel this is just the start and over the next few months we will have many more people in all industries coming forward to expose the filth that does this.

tuxfool

Banned
First it was the football industry, then the Hollywood, and now big gaming companies. Absolutely sickening.

I hope more victims who were intimidated into silence with big industries find the courage to expose these scumbags.

This isn't really a question of "firsts". This happens everywhere, obviously it is never reported for a many variety of reasons.

Just a sidenote: It's not uncommon for large corporations to withhold monetary payouts (like bonuses, etc) unless a bunch of release forms are signed by the person being terminated. I was laid off by a very large company, and my paperwork said I would not receive the large bonus owed to me unless I signed away my rights to sue the company and also signed a non-compete agreement. I decided not to sign those docs, and I didn't get my money.

Twookie

We would be naive to think that this doesn't have everywhere.

Seriously, everywhere. I was harassed by a woman when I was in my early 20s working at a dental office. Thankfully I wasn't fired, she was. It's awful.

Sorry to hear that!

It's not that I didn't think there wouldn't be sexual harrasment happening in videogame companies, I just didn't think ND would be one of those. Guess I think too highly of them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We are going to see a lot more of this, too. A lot of sacred cows exposed. This is just the surface, and it sucks, but that's the reality of it. So brace yourselves.

jryeje29

This type of shit is unacceptable everywhere, what an embarrassment Sony. Hopefully the person affected and any other people we don’t know about in a similar situation eventually find work and can find a way to move past it.

I honestly wonder (and hope) that recent news of people coming forward has a lot of creeps sweating right now.

I do wonder if exposing names is a good idea. Harassers deserve punishment, but internet-mobbing doesn't sound like an ideal solution if it inevitably came down to it (which it seems to often).

I think that, speaking more generally, it's for the best if the identity of the accused is hidden from the public (except employer/associates/his family etc.) to protect against the rare case of a false accusation, or mobbing. That said, I wouldn't dare try to police anyone speaking as a victim, so if someone is speaking out as a victim and accusing someone by name, I have no right to voice an objection.

Tarrin

Good HR would know that by protecting the employees from this and taking it seriously that you are in fact helping the company.

This is just shitty HR.

Nah, HR always sides with the company.

I worked at a Microsoft store and Blockbuster (remember blockbuster) in Toronto. Got sexually harassed at both locations. HR was not on my side. Luckily I quit before they decided to fire me.

nowhoney

I’m intrigued to see what steps Sony / Naughty Dog take in these coming days. They (Sony) need to issue a statement as soon as possible, really.

Quonny

Not if you are able to silence the victim and protect the more valuable employee, this works out better for the company because they are able to get rid of the problem, keep the valuable employee and go on as if nothing has changed. Obviously this is a risk and this plan falls apart if the victim speaks out as in this case, which can makes matters worse. The HR took a gamble and appears to have potentially bit them in the ass now.

As someone who works in HR for a large corporation, I can tell you straight up that no one in our company would do that. We've fired region leaders all the way down to line workers for this kind of stuff. It's not hard. You just don't tolerate it and make a part of your culture.

This is bad HR in a field that is rotten.

Nah, HR always sides with the company.

I worked at a Microsoft store and Blockbuster (remember blockbuster) in Toronto. Got sexually harassed at both locations. HR was not on my side. Luckily I quit before they decided to fire me.

I'm very sorry this happened to you.

VeeP

Oh boy. If this is true, Sony needs to come out and own up to this shit, or something. Hopefully Kotaku/IGN/etc. pick this story up and it gains traction.

You can not say things like that without proofs. This is serious.

How do you want him to get proof? How do we get proof of Weinstein? How do we get proof on Cosby? Are all those people who were sexually harassed suppose to remain quiet because they have no proof? What do you want them to do?

Yohane

God I hate when people abuse their position thinking they'll get away with it in some way or the other.

Scumbags.

I can't even imagine women have to put up with everyday....

Jonboy

Oh boy. If this is true, Sony needs to come out and own up to this shit, or something. Hopefully Kotaku/IGN/etc. pick this story up and it gains traction.

It's David Ballard, Naughty Dog, and Sony...

Don't think we have to worry about it gaining traction. This is going to be huge throughout the industry.

Little Mons†er;252011117 said:
proof in sexual assault cases isn't as easy as proof in criminal cases (murder, theft etc.) you know

disgusting behaviour from Sony here

He must have proof about this Sony proposition

Dice//

Banned
Little Mons†er;252011117 said:
proof in sexual assault cases isn't as easy as proof in criminal cases (murder, theft etc.) you know

All this stuff has me wondering if it would be a good idea to keep a phone to record 1-on-1's or skeptical situations or if...that's a little neurotic.

At least phones and text messaging has made it easier to track the fools who send creepy emails or messages. Which I'm surprised doesn't factor in when harassers are writing gross garbage to people.

Tarrin

God I hate when men abuse their position thinking they'll get away with it in some way or the other.

Scumbags.

I can't even imagine women have to put up with everyday....

His harasser could be female. No way to know.

Edit: Thanks Quonny. I know not all HR is bad, but they don't seem to protect employees enough in my view.

_Ryo_

This is disgusting and it makes me sick.
This shit is everywhere.

I applaud all of the victims coming forward for their courage and bravery. This shit needs to fucking end.

It's so difficult to talk about something that puts you back in a position of weakness and shame,
but as a person you have the right to be protected even from your own supervisor, even from the people you are told to respect. It's important.

Mark1

I’m glad people are able to speak up about their stories more. Especially since it’ll be made more aware that multiple genders go through this crap as well.

Scum need exposure of their behaviour towards employees. Saddens me that Naughty Dog has people who’d do this sort of thing.

Hope the former employee finally has some comfort with opening up and gets a better job. He deserves a lot better

VeeP

His harasser could be female. No way to know.

I think all Yohane means is that while anyone could sexually harass someone, women have to put up with shit like this more often. From catcalling to rape, women are the victims most of the time, thats why he said "everyday".

Man that's horrible. I have heard stories from friends that sony's HR department is one the ones that protect the company rather than the employees. But this is a whole new low.

Welp. And watch as more cases like this is exposed. An industry so male dominated is going to be full of this nasty shit.

Unfortunately, there's bound to be people like this in many of our most beloved development studios and publishing houses. It's up to the people at the top to stamp this out though.

Top Bottom