• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Naughty Dog employee says he was sexually harassed by a lead in late 2015

Wooooooow Sony. ND is a great studio, but not cover up sexual harassment great.

If it makes you feel better, their treatment of their employees is some of the worst in the industry in other areas as well.

As someone who works in HR for a large corporation, I can tell you straight up that no one in our company would do that.

I'm glad positive action has been taken against people at your company but I am extremely doubtful this is actually an across-the-board truth for how harassment is handled. The incentive to protect powerful employees is much too strong to push back against with anything but absolute, constant vigilance from the top down.

Tarrin

I think all Yohane means is that while anyone could sexually harass someone, women have to put up with shit like this more often. From catcalling to rape, women are the victims most of the time, thats why he said "everyday".

True enough.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's awful.

Also it turns out that a lot of the people working in HR are just scum. Disgusting attitude from Sony.

I think all Yohane means is that while anyone could sexually harass someone, women have to put up with shit like this more often. From catcalling to rape, women are the victims most of the time, thats why he said "everyday".

It’s terrible despite the gender. I don’t see why that needs to be pointed out here specifically.

sinonobu

Banned
Sexual harassment alone is bad enough but offering 20000 dollars to silence the victim is just.... man....

What the hell Sony

Welp. And watch as more cases like this is exposed. An industry so male dominated is going to be full of this nasty shit.

Unfortunately, there's bound to be people like this in many of our most beloved development studios and publishing houses. It's up to the people at the top to stamp this out though.

It's not just males pulling this shit. You have two people in this very thread who spoke out as victims of female assailants. I think there's a deeper cultural thought process here that leads to this. Male entitlement, etc. all plays into part of the issue in general, sure, but you have female abusers too and that tells us that there's a broader reason.

Quonny

I'm glad positive action has been taken against people at your company but I am extremely doubtful this is actually an across-the-board truth for how harassment is handled. The incentive to protect powerful employees is much too strong to push back against with anything but absolute, constant vigilance from the top down.

Oh, I completely agree.

It's easier to sweep it under the rug. It's easier just to pay a couple thousand dollars and make it go away, even if you have to do it dozens of times. It's easier to keep the harasser in charge if they're difficult to replace, have connections, have had a long tenure, and so on.

But the second a company supports their HR department and the HR department gives a damn is the second a culture can turn around. I would guess that a lot of people in these HR departments actually do care and they do want to change the culture, but it's incredibly difficult without the support of the people in charge.

Sony needs to do some serious reflection.

New002

Ugh. This is some heinous shit. It's good that this is stuff is coming out into the light now and these people/companies are getting exposed. I'm sorry these people have had to go through this. I have no doubt this shit goes on all over and is kept under wraps.

Dice//

Banned
It's terrible despite the gender. I don't see why that needs to be pointed out here specifically.

It does suck for both genders. It happens more frequently to women and sadly women are lower on the food chain generally by not getting the same amount of opportunities to advance as men do. But it does suck for both genders. Unwanted sexual advancement is fucking terrible to deal with, during or even with whatever follows afters (generally you're pretty 'shook up'-- and that's just putting it lightly)

random25

Damn. Was that lead so powerful that Sony axed the victim out instead of the perpetrator? Hopefully the victim can get the overdue justice he deserves. ND and Sony better do something about this, even if it's a bit too late.

Shredderi

To people who say that they're saddened that "even naughty dog" has people who do this: think of your most favourite, seemingly nice family values corporation. Even that corporation has this. This thing is EVERYWHERE. Absolutely everywhere in all corners of life. I assume each and every game studio (except small indies) has at least one person like this to some degree.

Fucking hell.

FUCKING HELL.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I'm also feeling weird about Naughty Dog's progressive messages in its games (LGBT, PoC characters, etc.) in retrospect. Is this something that a single executive committed and covered up, or is there a wider infestation and shush order throughout Naughty Dog? Fucking crazy.

I mean, unless this involved the writers and game directors, it's not that weird. If something like this happened at my job, I'm not guilty by association.

Zedark

Not sure what's up with folks and not keeping their hands to themselves, but something seriously needs to be done about it and companies need to start taking this stuff seriously. I mean, paying the guy $20k instead of just getting rid of the guy who was doing the harassing? What the hell is that? I just don't understand this kinda stuff.
The guy harassing was a lead, so hw was worth more. Sadly it seems to have been this cynical...

Absolutely revolting, this brings shame to ND and SONY. I hope they come out and clear the situation by working with the guy to repair things as much as possible. It just boggles my mind that people are capable of these things.

aeolist

Banned
Upon further reflection, I'm also feeling weird about Naughty Dog's progressive messages in its games (LGBT, PoC characters, etc.) in retrospect. Is this something that a single executive committed and covered up, or is there a wider infestation and shush order throughout Naughty Dog? Fucking crazy.

that has literally nothing to do with the problem of sexual harassment. it is a systemic problem where abusers are protected and victims are punished because of the power differential between management/capital and labor.

this is why you see it happen at conservative fox news and in "liberal" hollywood in exactly the same ways. the people who have been doing this for years have all the leverage and power, they can make or break careers, and speaking out brings not only professional repercussions but personal torment.

it is an issue that can only be fixed by collective action, and the attitudes of self-sufficiency and libertarianism that the games industry in particular cultivates in order to exploit labor will only make this worse as time goes on.

joecanada

Sexual harassment alone is bad enough but offering 20000 dollars to silence the victim is just.... man....

What the hell Sony

I mean hush money is crazy bad but what's with the amount too? Like a simple person might say wow 20k but that was probably what a third , quarter of that person's annual salary and they never found another job .... Amount was laughably low.

It's not just males pulling this shit. You have two people in this very thread who spoke out as victims of female assailants. I think there's a deeper cultural thought process here that leads to this.

Read my post above. I know it isn't. However, in an industry dominated by men the way videogames are, I think you'll come across cases of sexual harassment at Dev studios for more common than you'd like to think.

gamz

That's terrible. Offering money?

How about getting to the root of the problem. Fire the guy that's being assulted? Yikes.

True Fire

The incentive to protect powerful employees is much too strong to push back against with anything but absolute, constant vigilance from the top down.

Which is why I'm glad there's momentum against harassers. Companies need to understand that there are no incentives for protecting harassers.

I'm just worried about GamerGate rearing their ugly heads. They joined hands with the anti-harassment movement because they saw it as a "HAHA TAKE THAT LIBRULS" kinda thing, but what will happen when their precious industry is held accountable?

wartama

Neo Member
Harassment is everywhere.

True, but I believe the intimidation factor is bigger within the entertainment industries because reputation and image is everything. When a 'nice' celebrity does something reprehensible, the victims are more likely to be forced into silence and not taken seriously. Case in point, Jimmy Savile.

It takes greater courage to name a prominent person within the entertainment industry. Props to David, and I hope more victims feel encouraged to come forward.

This isn't really a question of "firsts". This happens everywhere, obviously it is never reported for a many variety of reasons.

Should have specified '2017'...

I mean, unless this involved the writers and game directors, it's not that weird. If something like this happened at my job, I'm not guilty by association.

I didn't imply this incident immediately implicates all ND employees, but I'm just worried (perhaps unduly curious?) about how known this was among Naughty Dog.

that has literally nothing to do with the problem of sexual harassment. it is a systemic problem where abusers are protected and victims are punished because of the power differential between management/capital and labor.

this is why you see it happen at conservative fox news and in "liberal" hollywood in exactly the same ways. the people who have been doing this for years have all the leverage and power, they can make or break careers, and speaking out brings not only professional repercussions but personal torment.

it is an issue that can only be fixed by collective action, and the attitudes of self-sufficiency and libertarianism that the games industry in particular cultivates in order to exploit labor will only make this worse as time goes on.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree completely. I am just wondering if this is similar to the Alamo Drafthouse case where people all across the corporate ladder collaborated to assist a known sexual predator, or if it is a more isolated incident known by few people.

VeeP

It’s terrible despite the gender. I don’t see why that needs to be pointed out here specifically.

No one's saying it's not terrible, or that it's worse for males or females. One person just commented he can imagine how women put up with it everyday, and people interpreted it wrongly so I just clarified his message.

aeolist

Banned
That's terrible. Offering money?

How about getting to the root of the problem. Fire the guy that's being assulted? Yikes.

the root of the problem is that lower level employees have no power in these situations, and the industry is never going to address that because it's how they're able to exploit people in terms of money and work conditions

TheOGB

Banned
On one hand, I'm glad the floodgates are open and people are gaining the courage to speak out against the rampant sexual misconduct present in their industies.

On the other hand, there's gonna be many sickening and unfortunate accounts coming out, and even with this wave of people speaking up it could still only be the tip of the iceberg. This type of behavior needs to come to an end.

David here didn't take the hush money, but thinking of the potential amount of people who have been in his shoes or worse that have gives me chills.

Boke1879

Damn. Was that lead so powerful that Sony axed the victim out instead of the perpetrator? Hopefully the victim can get the overdue justice he deserves. ND and Sony better do something about this, even if it's a bit too late.

This is quite frankly typical corporate HR bs.

The Lead in this since is probably more valuable than this employee. This happens in most places.

Hell at my last job. Me and other coworkers went to HR with a damn laundry list with proof of how our executive director just wasn't good at her job and pretty much did nothing when a Resident sexually harassed a female CNA.

They didn't do shit to to our ED and alot of the "expendable people" were let go.

HR at least in my experience has NEVER been there for the employee and only there to protect the corporate interest.

Rad-

Not buying a ND game ever again, disgusting.

Sadly so many companies have this. I have seen light harassment in my own work experience as well. (Not myself but coworkers)

Top Bottom