• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

DJwlnSiWAAIeaLG.jpg

Ouch

Jezbollah

Note: looks like Toro Rosso will not be using McLaren gearboxes with the Honda. No fucking excuses now for Honda doing shit next year right?

Aiii

So not worth it
I wonder if "McLaren Renault" will never not be weird.

It’s McNault now.

Pronounced as McNOOOOOOooooooo!

—
I figured Ilmor would help Honda and prepare them for RBR but with the unofficial Aston Martin confirmation, I am expecting Ilmor is working on an AM branded engine. Lord knows between their help on Renault and Honda they know enough about these engines to manage building one.

BigAl1992

I feel the biggest loser out of McLaren-Honda was Ron Dennis.

This was his move. He holds the biggest L.

It's definitely left a black mark on his Legacy. This Honda Deal was a disaster that single handedly cost him his job and put the team in the hole for three years solid now. He betted on a return to the heydays of the late 80's - early 90's, and he lost the house in doing so.

Fox Mulder

It's definitely left a black mark on his Legacy. This Honda Deal was a disaster that single handedly cost him his job and put the team in the hole for three years solid now. He betted on a return to the heydays of the late 80's - early 90's, and he lost the house in doing so.

I don't think so.

No Merc customer team has won shit in this era. Even Redbull with all their money and expertise aren't anywhere close to winning titles with Renault. Ferrari only just caught up on actual merit this year. McLaren got a ton of money from Honda and went for a works deal.

Honda just fucking sucked. Maybe they make a good engine before 2021, maybe they don't. I think it was still worth it. McLaren will have to find a long term partner as Renault will be all about their own factory team.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Was there any way for McLaren to anticipate how bad Honda would be? Seemed to me like a great move at the time, they would have only ever been competing for 2nd place with the customer Mercedes engine, getting a works engine was their only shot at making a real title challenge.

Lach

So Vasseur said in an interview the main reason to cancel the Sauber Honda deal was that they would rely on McLaren Gearboxes, and that if Mclaren would drop Honda they might not really have any interest to develop them and make them more reliable. So they would again basically have a major part of the car be last years spec.

So it makes sense the TR is looking for non McLaren Gearboxes.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Was there any way for McLaren to anticipate how bad Honda would be? Seemed to me like a great move at the time, they would have only ever been competing for 2nd place with the customer Mercedes engine, getting a works engine was their only shot at making a real title challenge.

No, there wasn't. Even leading up to that first season with the "size zero" concept, everything looked like moving to Honda was a masterstroke. It was only at the Abu Dhabi 2014 young drivers test where they ran* the MP4-29H that it started to look like Honda were behind schedule. But even then, it didn't look like anything three months of development and integration wouldn't fix.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but even if you were using the Earth Dreams years as a yardstick, you'd never have predicted this outcome.

*If you count being sat in the pits pissing oil for two days and doing a handful of installation laps as running.

John_B

It's going to be an interesting race with Red Bull in the mix. Verstappen might take out both Hamilton and Vettel, who knows what will happen.

Aiii

So not worth it
Say whatever you like about Palmer, but this sucks: Palmer learned of Sainz Renault deal on the internet

I guess Renault still haven't learned anything about ethics yet.

I call bullshit on this. Not on the fact that Palmer wasn't informed who was replacing him next year, but on the fact that Palmer did not know he wasn't driving for Renault next year and that it is somehow shitty of Renault to not inform him who they were negotiating with.

He knew he was gone, if he didn't want to be replaced he should have performed better. It is a job, not a charity. He knew his contract was only for this year and he knew he wasn't performing and they weren't negotiating a new contract with him.

Caboose

I call bullshit on this. Not on the fact that Palmer wasn’t informed who was replacing him next year, but on the fact that Palmer did not know he wasn’t driving for Renault next year and that it is somehow shitty of Renault to not inform him who they were negotiating with.

He knew he was gone, if he didn’t want to be replaced he should have performed better. It is a job, not a charity. He knew his contract was only for this year and he knew he wasn’t performing and they weren't negotiating a new contract with him.

Seeing it coming =/= getting confirmation tho

xrnzaaas

I don't see a problem. It would be a shitty move if he found out from the Internet he wasn't going to start in the next race this year. ;)

Fox Mulder

I call bullshit on this. Not on the fact that Palmer wasn't informed who was replacing him next year, but on the fact that Palmer did not know he wasn't driving for Renault next year and that it is somehow shitty of Renault to not inform him who they were negotiating with.

He knew he was gone, if he didn't want to be replaced he should have performed better. It is a job, not a charity. He knew his contract was only for this year and he knew he wasn't performing and they weren't negotiating a new contract with him.

even if someone 100% expects to get fired, you'd still want your boss to tell you to your face. It's shitty, but Palmer sucked so no one will care.

I got let go from a contract a day before I was going on an approved vacation. People can be cowards when they're firing someone.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
They probably meant Top 3 engine right? Top 3 in the constructors would mean beating Red Bull. Would Red Bull allow their second team to beat them?

DBT85

They probably meant Top 3 engine right? Top 3 in the constructors would mean beating Red Bull. Would Red Bull allow their second team to beat them?
They can't disallow it. Wouldn't happen though anyway so no biggie. The toro doesn't have the money to back it properly.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Honda going for top 3 next year, how delusional can they be.

You all don't understand. The might Honda engine was downtrodden by McLaren's shoddy gearbox, which, as everybody knows, is made of card board and held together merely by spit and chewing gum. Now that it has been unshackled from that undignified arrangement, it will harness its true power, of which scientists say that it is the universe's third-mightiest source of energy, right after gamma-ray bursts and a fart of God. We are unworthy to witness the Toro Rosso rocket ship that is so lucky to have this engine in its back next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom