• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One: Championship Edition - PSM3 Review

J-Rzez

Stinkles said:
Oh gawd. This thread is eating itself. I'm outta here. I am gonna go bag on Che for no modeled rims.

You'll find him in here raggin' on a racing game on a Sony console, strangely enough... Even though someone is proving him wrong with video's above apparently...

Seriously... how hard is it for people to shut off the aids to get the real experience? Man...

Double H

Wow.

As a huge Gran Turismo player I decided to pick up F1CE when I was importing my PS3 from Japan in late December. I’ve played the game on and off—GTHD Concept being my biggest distraction. (Go TheManSpirit!)

Anyway, F1CE is horrid with the SIXAXIS; I struggled to replicate reasonable lines each lap until I plugged in the DFP—even then the game was just as hard.

I set up a full length race at Suzuka (as I knew the track from GT4), set the difficulty to hard; traction control, anti–lock brakes, damage, penalties and the racing line option were left on, started from the back of the grid and failed miserably.

I chose to drive as Alonso as his car would have a respectable chance of climbing through the field, the start and consequent overtaking of the slower back benchers felt great, but the sudden “holy shit” moment into the first corner kept me more than awake.

The climb into 7th position was nothing short of gruelling; the AI was simply outstanding. For example I was coming to pass someone on the front straight, only for them to dart out in front of me to cover their position—poor sportsmanship (Schumacher?), possibly; variable AI, totally.

I survived that race for a total of 13 laps (just about to pit too)—took the 130R too fast, right rear on the rumble strip and spun into the wall on the opposite side. The race was the most intense and immersive experience I’ve had with games. Period. By the 10th lap, my shoulders were aching, armpits were super sweaty and there was only another 40 odd laps to look forward too.

I haven’t played the game since. It’s just so goddamn hard, and so goddamn good.

I’ll probably purchase the PAL copy, I just can’t get to grips with crappy monospaced font and general unfinished Japanese product.

BTW: Do the “review” copies still show the nasty low–res artefacts around the wheels when they kick up rain/dirt/grass? It really detracts from the rest of the visuals—in game is bloody awesome, however replays look pretty whack.

I'm a really big F1 fan, but these reviews are giving me pause. Anyway, who do people think would do justice to the F1 license, I just wish there was multiplatform F1 so we could get some wheel force feedback.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
J-Rzez said:
You'll find him in here raggin' on a racing game on a Sony console, strangely enough... Even though someone is proving him wrong with video's above apparently...

Seriously... how hard is it for people to shut off the aids to get the real experience? Man...

Prove me wrong? Just because you can get the car to spin does not mean F1 has the subtle gameplay mechanics you can only get with a good physics engine. Simply put, it's not fun to play and the cars have no feel to them whatsoever. Plus, it feels like every F1 car from every team handles and sounds the same, only with a different livery.

But hey, I'm not completely shocked and appalled that others may enjoy a more arcadey experience -- no big deal -- the game wasn't for me. I expressed that opinion, and certainly supported my points.

This has nothing to do with me ragging on a racing game on a Sony console. I thoroughly enjoy Motorstorm and last I heard that shit was coming out on PS3. I also had fun with GTHD for a week there.

This thread is all about fanboy insecurity. Any time a publication gives out a review score you disagree with, discredit them with conspiracy theories of bias and other nonsense. C'mon folks, this was a PS3-centric magazine reviewing a PS3 game. What sort of anti-PS3 agenda could they possibly have? :rolleyes.

Just accept the fact that review scores are someone else's opinions. And you know what they say about opinions...

J-Rzez

You said all or none damage...

chespace said:
The game had no "feel" and damage was an all or nothing affair (you either hit him hard enough and then it's a yard sale, or you don't and simply bounce off -- in an open wheel car?).

Apparently TTP put up some vids to prove it wrong (they're not working for me for some reason)... and you can do aerodynamic damage in the demo even IIRC...

And do you watch F1? You know that they do "rub" wheel to wheel, wheel to hull sometimes and nothing happens?

Lain

chespace said:
This thread is all about fanboy insecurity.

I thought this thread had turned into a "show why the reviewer wrote some bullshit with some videos" more than fanboy insecurity.
It's one thing to have an opinion, another to mislead people reporting something wrong to make your case and justify your opinion.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
J-Rzez said:
You said all or none damage...

Apparently TTP put up some vids to prove it wrong (they're not working for me for some reason)... and you can do aerodynamic damage in the demo even IIRC...

And do you watch F1? You know that they do "rub" wheel to wheel, wheel to hull sometimes and nothing happens?

Not the way I rub wheel to wheel in this game. :)

Anyway, I'll go back and give the demo another spin tonight. I was playing previously with all aids off and experienced that "fatal" boredom the reviewer felt. I'll see if I can get TTP's videos to happen for me on my PS3. I dunno, I remember hitting cars pretty hard and having absolutely no consequences whatsoever. Apparently I didn't hit them hard enough?

Granted, it's been a few weeks since I've given a shit about F1 so I may need a refresher.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Stinkles said:
Lol. Dude it is OK for the PS3 to have bad games. Every console has 'em. We were all waiting for Motorstorm anyway, not this.

That' the thing. This game isn't bad.

mckmas8808

chespace said:
Not the way I rub wheel to wheel in this game. :)

Anyway, I'll go back and give the demo another spin tonight. I was playing previously with all aids off and experienced that "fatal" boredom the reviewer felt. I'll see if I can get TTP's videos to happen for me on my PS3. I dunno, I remember hitting cars pretty hard and having absolutely no consequences whatsoever. Apparently I didn't hit them hard enough?

Granted, it's been a few weeks since I've given a shit about F1 so I may need a refresher.

No surprise with this statement. Man seriously I wish TTP would put up every video Che says the game doesn't do just to prove him and the reviewers wrong.

Do it TTP!

Dazzyman

Plenty of cars get whacked in F1 and go on to win, just depends where you get hit. You can crumple your car straightaway on race with aids off though and whack wheels and damage your wing just by going into a car infront of first corner, same with whacking a wall, done it many of times even on a quick 5lap race because my tail end went overcooking a corner on first lap with cold tyres and broke my car.

I aint on about fanboyism or whatever your on about, myself Ive been p* off for last few years since Sony bought the F1 liscence but this is good. Milestone made a great F1 for the PC (dont mistake it with console ones) and Geoff Crammond had a good series going also for years (for me that felt more on rails than the new F1 by Sony) and of course the daddy of old Gplegends can never be beaten with actlabs and shifter (but now Im in a wheelchair I cant use em :( ).
Im more annoyed with the reviews because their just saying yea its crap because its F1 thats just daft, you need to be impartial and do a proper review or whats the point. Ive owned the Team Liverpools previous efforts and they always left me cold and felt arcadey, its only after trying the demo and on reccomendation of DCharlie that I imported the JPN version as I dont think F1 has ever been anygood on a console, but this is for me. Yes we still need for the liscence to open back up to everybody this year again but it is the best console F1 out their and its a good first go on the PS3 for semi realistic. For me it has been the suprise purchase of last year out of all the stack of Wii/360 stuff on top. Really would have been nice for them to go into all the details about the modes as well and graphics with motion blur but I guess I was after a review :lol

dankir

Racing games with no rumble are just not fun, I hated the fact that with this racing game and all future racing games for my PS3 will all be "lifeless" No forcefeedback in racing games dont even get me started.

I bought a $300 Logitech G25 wheel and Gran Turismo HD was terrible without any sorta feedback. Sony really needs to get the gears turning and get the damn rumble back!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The demo, like so many other demos, is what I am using to determine my rental/purchase. The quote I posted from the threespeech review represents how the final review code is going to have plenty of aero and mechanical adjustments to satisfy an F1 enthusiast. And thats just it; I am an F1 enthusiast who loves racing the F1 tracks and this game will deliver in spades. If I listened to reviewers without trying Lost Planet, I would have NEVER even rented that game. If you like the F1 demo, at least rent it. If you don't like the demo, go play something else, and stop trying to justify the poor reviews that conflict with other opinions in this thread.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My personal take from my preview:

Formula One not only engrosses you with its visuals, but also its feel. The game's tire-model (the connection between the gamer and the vehicle) is sensational. The F1 racer feels completely planted on the asphalt, and you're in control. This connection acts as yet another fine facet that F1 displays, and it demonstrates just how superb the physics engine is. Of course, just like any other simulation game, you have the option of driving with aids (braking, steering, visual, traction, etc.) - but believe me, you won't want to.

Half of the fun behind Formula One is making those mistakes and learning the game's curve, and in turn you're awarded with an experience that really shows what it is to be a next-generation racing game. Because Formula One: CE does that one critical gameplay aspect so well, it is well worthy of your attention as a gamer. The other critical mechanic that Formula One lands is the artificial intelligence. The A.I. will brake, swerve around you, overtake you when they can, and just flat-out give you the challenge you desire. Liverpool Studios did a stupendous job crafting A.I. racers that are far beyond what I was expecting.

I think that the 3/4 view (where the camera is mounted slight-left behind the car) actually enhances the feel of the game tremendously. I play the game in either that view or the overhead cockpit view. And yeah, chalk me up as one of the few who doesn't get the hate for this game. I'm no F1 enthusiast, but shit...I believe I know a good racing game when I play one. And this IS a good game.

mckmas8808

AlphaSnake said:
My personal take from my preview:

I think that the 3/4 view (where the camera is mounted slight-left behind the car) actually enhances the feel of the game tremendously. I play the game in either that view or the overhead cockpit view. And yeah, chalk me up as one of the few who doesn't get the hate for this game. I'm no F1 enthusiast, but shit...I believe I know a good racing game when I play one. And this IS a good game.

AlphaSnake "gets" it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mckmas8808 said:
No surprise with this statement. Man seriously I wish TTP would put up every video Che says the game doesn't do just to prove him and the reviewers wrong.

Do it TTP!

:lol

I dont think there is a need for more videos about damaging. There are plenty out there altready at an higher quality than those I could provide or have provided already (just take a look at my YouTube video list for more).

What I tried to point out with my latest videos is just the possibility to drift and spin the car around if properly elaborated. As I said before, you wont get that far in F1CE if you dont really go all out with setting up the car and elaborating a proper racing strategy. For me, F1 is not about the "fun" of driving per se (I actually find driving GT/Forza type of cars more entertaining - you know, having to deal with weight shifts and suspensions behaviour, I prefer that kind of feeling) but of the racing strategy and car elaboration. F1 is all about that in my opinion and the tension that comes from the acknowledgement that a single mistake can toss a whole afternoon of practice and qualify sessions out of the window. I like getting closer to the competition eating milliseconds upon milliseconds per lap, waiting for the moment I'll be close enough to feel the slipstream sucking me in and then the feeling of having accomplished something important when I eventually menage to succeed at an overtake.

This is not the type of game u can enjoy with a quick race. It's the whole GP weekend. The race itself is just the final act of a much "deeper" thing, if you get what I mean. It's also important to note that time goes by in real time during pratice and qualification sessions (and going back to the garage cuts from that depending on the reasons you went there in the first place: ie for refuelling or repairing the car after a crash), so you have to be efficient in your car aleboration during the former and avoid risks during the first laps of the latter to assure yourself a good place on the starting grid. I usually wait for the fuel tank to be almost empty before attempting my best lap.

What I like about F1CE is the whole package, the whole GP atmosphere and attention to detail. The authentic AI also adds to this. You can be 10th at 6 laps to the end and suddenly someone ahead blows his engine or there is a crash that allows u to win positions just like it happens in the real thing. It's a pity that these early reviews are not exposing this aspect of the game.

mckmas8808 said:
AlphaSnake "gets" it.

He does. Well said dude.

Speevy

Banned
Whether this game is a 4 or a 10, it doesn't sound like many people will "get" it.

There are a million technical things a developer can do that are worthy of respect, even awards. But if someone doesn't find it fun, they're going to trash it in reviews.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Speevy said:
Whether this game is a 4 or a 10, it doesn't sound like many people will "get" it.

There are a million technical things a developer can do that are worthy of respect, even awards. But if someone doesn't find it fun, they're going to trash it in reviews.

Yeah, just like Chromehounds.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mojovonio said:
if Motorstorm gets anything less than a 9, this forum will implode itself.
Nah, I expect some solid 8's from motorstorm. Amazing game, can't wait to play it. But the features seem to be lacking compared to other racers so I'm sure sites will dock points for it.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seems like a polarizing game; you either get it or you don't.

To be fair, its biggest fault is that you have to go into menus to turn things off before the game plays like it really should.

And maybe that's something that some reviewers just don't do?

In which case, it's pretty fair to ignore those reviews entirely.

If they don't mention it specifically (turning off all the noob options) and then mention a change in handling, it's pretty safe to say they didn't.

But even then... it is a F1 game; some people get it while others don't. Whatever; nothing can be all things to all people.

Well, everyone must have played the demo by this point right? If you like it, you like it. Personally, I didn't. I'll just wait for Motorstorm.

This game is obviously tuned for the needs of racing novices, and thus loses all appeal as a sim..which is why we are seeing such brutal scores from the brits/europeans, who are the diehards for the real thing.

As a sim, it seems this game sucks. People with none to little experience with F1 racers might get a kick out of it. At least it looks pretty.

Moderation Unlimited said:
This game is obviously tuned for the needs of racing novices, and thus loses all appeal as a sim..which is why we are seeing such brutal scores from the brits/europeans, who are the diehards for the real thing.

As a sim, it seems this game sucks. People with none to little experience with F1 racers might get a kick out of it. At least it looks pretty.
Your assumptions are wrong. Those guys have no idea about F1 it seems, and all they did in the game was playing quick race 2 or 3 times.

They don't mention anything that's in the game. You can tune the game to be a real sim.

If this is about them not turning off driving aids, I'm gonna kick everyones arse.

And come on "Jenson Button" and "go faster" in the same sentence, and they fail to mention the race last season when the team were shouting down the radio for Button to put his foot down, and he was crying like a baby saying he wouldn't go any faster!

1. Get someone that gives a shit about the sport to do the review or

2. Get an amateur racing driver to play it.

AlphaSnake

Woo! Got my final US retail copy of F1 just now. No more playing builds.

qcf x2

Ynos Yrros said:
PSM3, GeoW ad, DMC4 on X360, lots of other BS lately.... makes you wonder....

Go on and say it, PSM3 is in cahoots with Microsoft to make the PS3 fail, it's all a conspiracy borne of jealousy and hate. It must be so!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
1. Get someone that gives a shit about the sport to do the review or

Agreed.

2. Get an amateur racing driver to play it.

Not agreed. That would be like demanding a semi pro soccer player review Winning 11. Gamers should review games. Folks who're representative of who's buying it. I find that the closer someone is to a subject or genre, the less objectivity they have. See RPG players who like ALL RPGs.

AlphaSnake

DenogginizerOS said:
I demand impressions STAT!!!

Give me about an hour. I'm doing some work on Quake Wars right now, and I'll fire the game up.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaSnake said:
Woo! Got my final US retail copy of F1 just now. No more playing builds.

Check the PSP rear mirror thing!!

It's in the LAN game options. Just start a 1 player vs AIs race and see how it works.

AlphaSnake

TTP said:
Check the PSP rear mirror thing!!

It's in the LAN game options. Just start a 1 player vs AIs race and see how it works.

This is confusing. My DSL only has 64-bit WEP encryption. And that is what my PSP is connected to. Now, when I enter the SSID in my PS3's remote play settings, it only displays WPA-AES 128-bit encryption - and I don't have a key for that. This is pissing me off, surely the PS3 is able to detect WEP right? Someone help me out.

Impressions of the game coming in the next post.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AlphaSnake said:
This is confusing. My DSL only has 64-bit WEP encryption. And that is what my PSP is connected to. Now, when I enter the SSID in my PS3's remote play settings, it only displays WPA-AES 128-bit encryption
Forget about your router, DSL whatever.

You are creating the connection directly between PSP and PS3. Think in those terms. Create a network on PS3 first with a new password and all, then just use those same settings on PSP (you really can just use 'auto' on everything except password on PSP actually)

AlphaSnake

Before I head into the details, here's what I think about PSM3's review:

speakers-jeremy-clarkson.jpg

Yes. Rubbish.

I just spent the better part of the past 3 hours screwing around with this game, without even realizing how the time flew by. Boring? No oversteer? Hey, how about you guys over at PSM3 and Edge stop giving us journos a bad rep? Play the game before you trash it in your review, call it boring and then claim that you can't induce oversteer.

Yes, you very well can induce it, and it's as simple as tweaking some suspension components, raising psi pressure in rear tires, using hard tires, turning off anti-lock brakes, setting traction to 0%, and turning off the stability control. You know...real-life kind of adjustments that would make a real-life RWD car react the same way? If you weren't up for the task of writing a review on a simulation game, then have some qualified freenlancer do it instead.

Take a turn too fast, and you'll go spinning. Time it just right, and you'll hug around the bend. Get a little overzealous, and the rear will crack for a split-second - and this situation can go either way, all depending on the angle of the turn. I mean, really...all of the adjustments are there for you to fiddle with.

It all comes down to whether or not you know what you're doing - and I'll wager that PSM3 and Edge don't. Start hardening rebound rates for more oversteer and bring the toe inward for razor sharp turns; there is a Gran Turismo-load of customization optins here, do with them as you please. It took me some time to get the cars to break traction, but at least I tweaked around long enough to find the proper way, before writing the game off. Ironically, as I write this I even see a tip displayed that's telling me to 'oversteer in order to get around a turn easily, but risk spining out'. :lol

The sense of speed is flipping sensational. You'd have to be a rotten vegetable to call this game boring: I just spent 3 hours driving around by myself and toying with the cars. Driving around on two tracks, no less: Monte Carlo and Shanghai. The lighting is ridiculously detailed - a little bit distracting when you first start, but that's just part of the realism.

The visuals of the finished product slaughter that of the demo. The gorgeous lighting, the brand new textures, the enhanced reflections, and the silky framerate make the demo look like child's play - there's no two ways about it. If you were at all not impressed with the way the demo looked, throw it all away - this is seriously one of the best looking next-gen games on the market.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thumbs up dude! I cant wait to get the retail version myself. I wanna drive this beauty online.

(now read Marconelly post ;))

AlphaSnake

Marconelly said:
Forget about your router, DSL whatever.

You are creating the connection directly between PSP and PS3. Think in those terms. Create a network on PS3 first with a new password and all, then just use those same settings on PSP (you really can just use 'auto' on everything except password on PSP actually)

Holy shit...this is insanely cool. Working now. Gonna try the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaSnake said:
Holy shit...this is insanely cool. Working now. Gonna try the game.

It would be great if you could take some pics of the setup. I'm just curious about how the rear mirror looks.

Bildi

Just wanted to say that I'm glad I've never bought this mag because gramatically that is one of the most horrifying pieces of "journalism" I have ever laid my eyes on.

I don't think I've ever had to put in so much effort to try to read something.

Although Alphasnake's posts are a close second.

AlphaSnake

This isn't working. I don't understand how to get the PSP to remote play with F1. What is exactly the process? If I connect to the PS3, it has to be while both systems are in Remote Play mode, which I can't do when I'm playing F1. And I also see no option for it while creating a LAN game either. And the manual makes no mention of it, either. :\

Has this been confirmed in the final release?

Goldrusher

AlphaSnake said:
I just spent the better part of the past 3 hours screwing around with this game, without even realizing how the time flew by. Boring? No oversteer? Hey, how about you guys over at PSM3 and Edge stop giving us journos a bad rep? Play the game before you trash it in your review, call it boring and then claim that you can't induce oversteer.

Yes, you very well can induce it, and it's as simple as tweaking some suspension components, raising psi pressure in rear tires, using hard tires, turning off anti-lock brakes, setting traction to 0%, and turning off the stability control. You know...real-life kind of adjustments that would make a real-life RWD car react the same way? If you weren't up for the task of writing a review on a simulation game, then have some qualified freenlancer do it instead.

Take a turn too fast, and you'll go spinning. Time it just right, and you'll hug around the bend. Get a little overzealous, and the rear will crack for a split-second - and this situation can go either way, all depending on the angle of the turn. I mean, really...all of the adjustments are there for you to fiddle with.

It all comes down to whether or not you know what you're doing - and I'll wager that PSM3 and Edge don't. Start hardening rebound rates for more oversteer and bring the toe inward for razor sharp turns; there is a Gran Turismo-load of customization optins here, do with them as you please. It took me some time to get the cars to break traction, but at least I tweaked around long enough to find the proper way, before writing the game off. Ironically, as I write this I even see a tip displayed that's telling me to 'oversteer in order to get around a turn easily, but risk spining out'. :lol

The sense of speed is flipping sensational. You'd have to be a rotten vegetable to call this game boring: I just spent 3 hours driving around by myself and toying with the cars. Driving around on two tracks, no less: Monte Carlo and Shanghai. The lighting is ridiculously detailed - a little bit distracting when you first start, but that's just part of the realism.

The visuals of the finished product slaughter that of the demo. The gorgeous lighting, the brand new textures, the enhanced reflections, and the silky framerate make the demo look like child's play - there's no two ways about it. If you were at all not impressed with the way the demo looked, throw it all away - this is seriously one of the best looking next-gen games on the market.

Now that's a review !

jcgaf.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaSnake said:
This isn't working. I don't understand how to get the PSP to remote play with F1. What is exactly the process? If I connect to the PS3, it has to be while both systems are in Remote Play mode, which I can't do when I'm playing F1. And I also see no option for it while creating a LAN game either. And the manual makes no mention of it, either. :\

Has this been confirmed in the final release?

When you are in the lobby of the LAN game there should be an option that mentions the rearmirrors on the left side. It doesnt show up during the creation process. It appears after the game has been created.

As for how it should work, I guess all you have to do is set just the PSP in Remote Play mode. The game code should handle the PS3 side.

AlphaSnake

TTP said:
When you are in the lobby of the LAN game there should be an option taht mentions the rearmirrors on the left side.

As for how it should work, I guess all you have to do is set just the PSP in Remote Play mode. The game code should handle the PS3 side.

Alright, I'll check it when I get back home. Leaving for dinner now. And I'm sure you'll love my setup for the PSP...I always knew I'd be able to put this PSP stand to good use. It's so perfect it's not even funny. Hehehe. =D

I'll be back around 10:30, guys.

Top Bottom