• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Ban stops player from Playing Dragon Age 2

angelfly

MMaRsu said:
This is fucking bullshit. Sad thing is most people don't even know this shit happened and will keep enjoying DA2.

And if I would bring this up, I'm sure they'd go 'shrug'.
While I agree this is bullshit should everyone just stop playing the game because of it? It's a fucked up situation but I'm not enjoying the game any less because of it.

Mithos

V_Arnold said:
Overreact much?

1) Why post in EA forums?
2) Why not just register a username different from your account where games are linked to, to post shit about EA and the devs/pubs/name calling/trolling/anything?

I understand that it is a bad action, but THIS does not mean that it will stop me from playing any of the awesome EA games that have been coming out in the last few months/years.

Well to take Bioware forum for an example, if your account doesn't have registered/linked game to it you just cant post in certain parts of the forum. I'm guessing the same goes for the EA forums also.

dalin80

Banned
There are always things in the ToS that are utter nonsense and would be thrown out of any court and this is just another one of them.

The strongest example that comes to mind is the current laws in the UK that make it completely legal for any end user to make a back up copy of any software they have legally purchased yet ToS are kind of against this despite the over-arching rule being the base law and the ToS essentially being completely powerless.

Fantasmo

Outrageous. Hopefully this becomes news and they get serious backlash. What he did deserves maybe a forum ban, nothing more. Dude paid for it, I mean jesus.

dalin80

Banned
Also for the rape of westwood EA deserve hell of a lot more hatred then that little line showed. I think I would get a 3 century ban for posting my thoughts on that site.

Philthy

There is probably a lot of EU trade laws they're breaking from doing this. They will probably have to split forum accounts/bans from being linked to actual property licensing.

Monocle

A customer criticizes a company and the company responds by stealing from the customer? Indefensible.

phosphor112 said:
Seriously? I have NOTHING against gays, but stop pushing homosexuality on my games character. I go into the whore house, two guys dancing, and one chick dancing. Nice. Nice one Bioware.
I have NOTHING against yellow people, but stop pushing Asians on my games character. I go into a bar, two Asians drinking, and one black dude drinking. Nice. Nice one Bioware.

Fayte19

Neo Member
Drkirby said:
Note to self: Never post on EA Forums.

Seconded.

Even if it is just 72 hours, denying him access to something he paid for because of something said on a forum is absurd.

Wow, another facet to the "you don't own stuff you buy" bullshit that publishers keep pushing. And another facet to the "pirated game is superior to purchased game" list as well. I hate both of these trends. :-(

MMaRsu

Banned
I posted this on a dutch forum, in the Dragon Age 2 for 360 thread.

People there didn't mind this at all, in fact, they applauded EA for taking this action. They said if you don't bitch and whine, nothing can happen to you. They seem to be oblivious what this means for consumer rights.

Goddamn idiots.

tino

Banned
The Guy player every game since KOTOR, he even played. Jade Empire. This Guy is entitled to call Bioware any name he wants!

notworksafe said:
Wow that's stupid. Why link accounts in such a way, EA?

Also as a quick question: Does getting banned from Steam Community affect purchases on your Steam account? Just curious if Valve is keeping them apart...
Your Steam account is not linked at all to your SPUF account. They even tell you not to use the same username, and there's no formal way to link the two.

EDIT: Didn't realize this thread had 8 pages. Oh well.

MMaRsu said:

People there didn't mind this at all, in fact, they applauded EA for taking this action. They said if you don't bitch and whine, nothing can happen to you. They seem to be oblivious what this means for consumer rights.

Goddamn idiots.

There were a few people standing up for Bioware/ EA in the Social thread. Some seem to see massive mega-corps as their friends, bizarrely.

CorwinB

Leondexter said:
Wow, another facet to the "you don't own stuff you buy" bullshit that publishers keep pushing. And another facet to the "pirated game is superior to purchased game" list as well. I hate both of these trends. :-(

Well said.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Saty said:

Glad they fixed their error, but let's not rewrite history.

Their words said:
1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you’re going to follow.”

They fucked up, got caught out, rightfully repealed their mistake and threw out a limp-dicked "error" explanation for the whole thing. Again, glad the dude is able to play the game he paid for, but this was clearly no "error" beyond the kind typified by usual corporate hubris.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Saty said:

i wouldn't usually quote a whole post from RPS, you have to admire the incisive cynicism of this update considering the site's background is flooded by a giant DA2 ad.

rockpapershotgun said:
Wow, well here’s a crazy update. After being repeatedly told that he was intentionally locked out of his EA games because he broke the rules on the BioWare forum, and that this was in accordance to the Terms Of Service that he’d agreed to, this morning’s internet famous man, Arno, has just been told that it was in fact a mistake.

He received an email from EA’s Senior Director of Customer Support, Boyd Beasley, explaining that his “inappropriate language” meant he had received a 72 hour ban from the BioWare Social Network, but that,

“Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended your entire EA account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, we have restored the entire account and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused while accessing other areas of the EA service.”

So there you go then. A strange one indeed, after he was told by both EA’s live support, and the moderator who locked the thread discussing the matter (who declined to speak to us), the opposite. But good news for Arno, who can finally play the game he’s paid for.
throw them a click.

Gorgon

MMaRsu said:

Goddamn idiots.

I'd change nationality imediatly.

Lothars

Duane Cunningham said:
Hahaha... "never intentional". Sorry, but bullshit. If this very NeoGAF thread wasn't started, that explanation wouldn't have been put forward this evening.

I disagree it's very possible it wasn't intentional but at least it was fixed and it shouldn't happen again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
phosphor112 said:
I hope you're right. Bioware has sold out more this gen than any other company I can think of. I went to them for my RPG fixes. KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire (even though that had it's flaws) but they just shit on everything. Dragon Age 1 and Origins (1 was better) was good. ME1 was good, ME2 just became another TPS but with a leveling system, I think ME3 will be even worse... I really really hope that they don't shit on ME3. Please.

KotOR 2 was Obsidian and DAO and DA1 are the same game.

That dude should sue EA, shit is nuts. People all hating on Sony for getting Geohot for breaking DRM, but this guy makes a POST (with nothing illegal), and get's banned from playing his games that he paid for?

Gattsu25

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Glad they fixed their error, but let's not rewrite history.
1. BioWare community bans are forum-only and can be for as little as 24 hours. These bans should have no effect on your game, only your ability to use all the features of this website/community. these bans are handed out by BioWare Moderators as the result of our travels around the forum and/or issues reported by fellow community members.

2. EA Community bans come down from a different department and are the result of someone hitting the REPORT POST button. These bans can affect access to your game and/or DLC.

Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules. Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you’re going to follow.”
They fucked up, got caught out, rightfully repealed their mistake and threw out a limp-dicked "error" explanation for the whole thing. Again, glad the dude is able to play the game he paid for, but this was clearly no "error" beyond the kind typified by usual corporate hubris.
Yep. They realized they made a PR blunder when 5+ news outlets rang their PR up to ask what their policy was. Then they try to cover their policy up by pulling a "We never said that" card.

edit: For added hilarity, back in 2008:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/08/10/31/004213/EA-Forum-Ban-Will-Now-Mean-EA-Game-Ban

EA announced that forum bans would result in game bans. They got negative feedback and pulled a "I mispoke, this is not actually our policy" card. They then put the "forum ban = game ban" terms into their TOS anyway.

KaYotiX

Banned
Glad he got banned, dont be a flaming tool just becasue its the internet.....he even admitted he deserved the banning. Why even post something like that then if you know your gonna be banned?

Lesson learned, people need to start learning that certain actions actually have consequences. If this keeps more idiots/trolls off forums then im all for it.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ElyrionX said:
More details please?
Lothars said:
I would like to hear more as well.
From 2008:
http://games.slashdot.org/story/08/10/31/004213/EA-Forum-Ban-Will-Now-Mean-EA-Game-Ban

It seems like EA is more than happy to ban people from their games but as soon as news spreads they do this massive denial and pretend its not their policy.

KaYotiX said:
Glad he got banned, dont be a flaming tool just becasue its the internet.....he even admitted he deserved the banning. Why even post something like that then if you know your gonna be banned?

Lesson learned, people need to start learning that certain actions actually have consequences. If this keeps more idiots/trolls off forums then im all for it.
Did you read the OP? Its not banning from the forums that the issue. Its being locked out of single-player games you paid for that is the issue.

kuroshiki

KaYotiX said:

Uh......

You should carefully read the story from now on. That's not the problem here.

Top Bottom