• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Ban stops player from Playing Dragon Age 2

Emitan

Steam bans you from VAC protected servers. You still have access to all your games. You only lose your games if you purchase them with a stolen credit card or something else illegal.

I'm not seeing the problem here. It's pretty simple, don't act like a dumb shit on the official forums and you'll be able to play your games.

Emitan

bloodforge said:
I'm not seeing the problem here. It's pretty simple, don't act like a dumb shit on the official forums and you'll be able to play your games.
What the hell do forums have to do with the game? It's a single player game.

bloodforge said:

This post is pretty stupid. I think you should be banned from NeoGaf and have access to all of the video games you've bought blocked for the duration.

ElRenoRaven

bloodforge said:

Forget that. I say start banning for even thinking unkind things about EA. Ban them forever I say. Hell ban him from playing other publishers games for thinking EA is the devil. After all how dare he call EA the devil? Of all the things he could have called them, he called them the devil. How dare he I say.

UrbanRats

Better yet, you can only buy things, if you prove your love and loyalty to the company that's producing them.
Otherwise you won't be able to buy or use ( family's or friends') those products.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
whatevermort said:
Look, if people are being pricks, they get punished, right? EA are just, essentially, spraying the bad dog with water to tell him when he's done wrong. Next time, the dog won't do wrong again.
Except we actually know that dogs (and not so surprisingly people) learn better by having their good behavior reinforced than bad behavior punished.
So in this case your simplification is completely wrong.

And before you argue that banning is sometimes necessary, he admitted as much. But how would you argue that it's good that he is unable to play his singleplayer game?

"Oh noes, he will be bad to all the NPCs. He will probably always choose the RED option."

ElRenoRaven

UrbanRats said:
Better yet, you can only buy things, if you prove your love and loyalty to the company that's producing them.
Otherwise you won't be able to buy or use ( family's or friends') those products.

Oh I like that. You must get their company logo tattooed on your forehead and can only wear clothing with their logo on it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Those goddamned pirates, letting this kid play a game he paid for when the company that produced the game does not!

bj00rn_

Banned
Awful. I can't believe the way the gaming scene has turned out in context to ownership of a product and the ties to high horse company policies.

This is pretty damned *WOW*. I expect a fairly high level conference call by morning if any of the gaming news outlets runs this is a story, and a very quiet change of policy within three weeks.

Edit: Kobun Heat - We need you!

itxaka

Defeatist
So if he pirated the game he would be playing with no problems. But he bought it legit and it's unable to play.

Sounds about right.

chase

WOW.

This is incredible. EA bringing the logic of American politics into videogames. This is going to suck. A lot.

Brashnir

So glad I decided not to buy this, Bulletstorm or Dead Space 2 now.

Thanks for saving me $180 with your shitty policies, EA.

Omikaru

DRM should just be anonymous authentication of the game each time you install it. I'm prepared to accept that due to how it prevents casual piracy (such as simply copying the disc and handing it to a friend) of PC games.

However, using that DRM to then scare customers into not expressing dissatisfaction with a company, its products and services, or to enforce unfair restrictions on the product is bang out of order.

In fact, it should be illegal.

Slavik81

poisonelf said:
Are the conditions of a company's TOS above the law? Or perhaps the law states that if you agree to the TOS then you have to abide by whatever shit the company thought of?

So if the TOS claims that you have to log in everyday at 13:00 and proclaim that EA is now the God of humanity, and have to send flowers to them at least 3 times/month, it's their right because the TOS said so?

I'm honestly asking how this works because there are actually people (thankfully not many) who say that since the TOS said so it's their right to take back the product you bought from them for badmouthing them.
It's complicated. It would take months of concerted study of contract law to really be able to weigh in.

kitch9 said:
Thats simple, DON'T FUCKING CHEAT, like a dirty snivelling twat and ruin the game for others.

If it were up to me Cheaters on Steam would have their pc nuked and appendages removed.
I take it that if your Steam account is ever compromised and somebody cheats with your account, that you'll be blowing up your computer?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's pretty damn ridiculous - just the natural, horrific evolution of terms and conditions and consumer rights being wrestled away from gamers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
astroturfing said:
evil shit. EA dont have the right to do something like that.

what can we do to fight this?
Complain.

It gets them to reverse most obviously terrible decisions in under a week.

flsh

Banned
Is this even legal?
There's no way I'm buying EA products for full price after this. EA and Activision ruin gaming little by little.

Someone should check both US and European laws to see if this is legal. It can't be. This whole "licensing" games thing (vs. owning games) is absolutely outrageous. The guy should sue EA to set a precedent against these sorts of things.
The amount of times I talked trash about Blizzard and WoW when I played and never got banned makes me think so fondly of Blizzard. EA should take a look at them and realize how to treat a community.

Top Bottom