• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Ban stops player from Playing Dragon Age 2

kitzkozan

Izayoi said:
They already are, just not directly.

This really sucks.

Why do you have to do this before BF3 comes out, EA?

Fuck.

Lol EA is still the freaking devil,but so is Activision.One is a less successful demon than the other,that's about it. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
kitzkozan said:
Lol EA is still the freaking devil,but so is Activision.One is a less successful demon than the other,that's about it. :p
Yes but one is ruining some of the best developers.

The other is ruining a bunch of devs no one really cares about

big_z

GillianSeed79 said:
I'm suprised people actually post on Bioware's social site. Visiting the forum is like visting a website from 1999. The web design is atrocious.
I've seen some incredibly rude mods there. I don't know if they're ea based or from bioware or just long time members they've chosen but some of them are assholes. I saw a thread by someone looking for advise on applying at bioware and the mod basically told him to stop being lazy and fuck off. the thread was locked as well.

qq more

big_z said:
I've seen some incredibly rude mods there. I don't know if they're ea based or from bioware or just long time members they chose but some of them are assholes. I saw a thread by someone looking for advise on applying at bioware and the mod basically told him to stop being lazy and fuck off. the thread was locked as well.
Wow. What the hell? Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

Also fuck EA.

big_z

qq more said:
Wow. What the hell? Do you happen to have a link to that thread?

Also fuck EA.
No this was shortly after ea and bioware joined forces, So some time ago. Im not sure how long their forum keeps old posts but searching for "resume" or "quality assurance" might still pull it up.

DanielJr82

Deadly Cyclone said:
1245227615_colin_farrel.gif
Yep! LMAO!

*Will now be extremely careful in the Bioware forums*

Massa said:
A guy was once banned from PSN based on his comments in a Resistance forum. He sued Sony and lost (though that guy was crazy).

People are banned all the time for violating the ToS on PSN and Xbox Live. You lose all your purchased games when you're banned.

This guy was banned for 72h ban for violating their ToS while using his EA account. If he was losing his account forever based on a single forum post I could understand the complaints, but talking about boycotting EA or being outraged by this simply boggles my mind.

That it's a 72 hour ban is not the point. That's still time he gets locked out of the game he purchased with his own money.

Loxley

Wow, that's pure bullshit. As others have said, it basically EA playing mommy, "Don't talk back to me or I'm taking your games away."

The fuck...how does a publisher even have the right to do this?

Can anyone verify this customer support email support@ea.com ? I tried a few times to get contact info through the contact us but I need a account and......yeeeeeah...no.

I know my email is the equivalent of pissing in the ocean that is EA but this is straight bullshit and it'll make me feel a little better.

FStop7

Banned
RustyNails said:

"Shorty was a cop, and she ain't dead."

This is a stupid ass move by EA. Between the dumbing down of Bioware games and this I'm by and large done with buying their stuff.

Is it EA or bioware who did the banning from the game?

Because this is pretty consistent with the MO of EA.
I remember buying crysis online (to register on eadm).
I still had an account that predated the change in the log in system (you used to log in with your email adress, not your username).
Eadm didn't play nice with the old log in system so none of my games including the new crysis copy would show up on it.
I synched my old account with the new system as the faqs told me to, but the game would still not show up on eadm.

I contacted customer support, and after a week of agonisingly slow back and forth emails they told me that because I hadn't bought it directly from the ea store but from an online retailer instead that it was the stores problem and not theirs.

So I sent them proof that the game did indeed register to my account, then they told me that it would take weeks to forward the request to a superior to manually tag the game to a new account (making my old account work through eadm was not an option apparently) and that they weren't willing to do that (I kid you not!).

When I asked them for a refund, they told me to just borrow a crysis dvd from someone and play it that way (again, I kid you not).

Because they had already gotten my money it basically wasn't their problem anymore.

Sorry for deviating from OT, but yeah, it's pretty much how ea works.

Squire

Banned
You know, he could've just not logged into his EA account. You can do that. I should know. I played DA2 while logged out for four hours today.

Inorigo said:
You know, he could've just not logged into his EA account. You can do that. I should know. I played DA2 while logged out for four hours today.
Not if you haven't activated it yet.
It's in the OP.

Squire

Banned
opticalmace said:
Not if you haven't activated it yet.
It's in the OP.

Since when have you needed to "activate" EA games when you by them? You think everyone goes to the trouble of making an EA account? And what did all the people who got DA2 early do?

EA accounts work on console too. Why would they make it where you have to activate your game on PC and not console?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Inorigo said:
Since when have you needed to "activate" EA games when you by them? You think everyone goes to the trouble of making an EA account? And what did all the people who got DA2 early do?

EA accounts work on console too. Why would they make it where you have to activate your game on PC and not console?

Because he bought the signature edition from the EA Online store.

Its a rather unique case that normally wouldn't happen. The fact that it can happen at all however, is the point.

shaowebb

I study the business aspect of gaming pretty heavily (I'm about a year from entering the industry is why) and I have to say that from a business standpoint that this makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

This is bad PR, bad business practices, and overall just plain bad judgment. You can be banned from a forum, and banned from online play but these things should occur for things done ONLY on those areas. A forum ban should not influence a players online privileges. An online ban for bad behavior should not influence a person's forum priveleges. And most of all in no way should either sort of ban lock you out of playing the game that you paid for privately offline. A sale is a contract. This is not honoring it.

Probably already said but I would assume that the accounts are linked so that you don't need to remember 2 logins. That said, someone at EA needs to have a lesson in privilege based access-control systems.

vireland

Dreamwriter said:
If you go to a developer's forum and insult that developer, do you not expect to get temporarily banned?

Actually, they were insulting the publisher and questioning the developer's purity. Seems like a really, really mild thing to go to the trouble of banning someone over.

I used to LOVE getting WAY worse insults than that at Working Designs. I made a mail account just for it and we advertised it for the disgruntled. If someone wanted to take the time to write what was usually a quite creative mashup of the English language, I was so there.

Squire

Banned
Zerokku said:
Because he bought the signature edition from the EA Online store.

Its a rather unique case that normally wouldn't happen. The fact that it can happen at all however, is the point.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I got the point from the beginning, I just wanted to make sure the guy really couldn't play his game and wasn't just being an uninformed moron.

kitzkozan

AnEternalEnigma said:
Now this is the EA I know and love from the late-90s, early-00s. Hail to the King, baby.

Lawl,the real EA is finally back. :p At least now there will be no more bullshit of them pretending to be the good guys.It just took 2-3 days for me to hate these fucktards with all my guts.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
malfcn said:
The game has to be activated? So no internet = no game?
This kind of thing is new information to you?

What year do you live in?

Hey look, the reason why you should never EVER let someone else play gate keeper to content you pay cash money for.

Screw DD, screw online activation. I don't care if you trust the source or not don't give them that power or they will abuse it.

Amazing how quickly EA has lost all the good will built up over the last four years ever since Activision's heel turn. Neutering their PC games, marking them all up to $60, cutting content out of the base game to make it a reservation bonus, and online passes...yeesh.

Truly EA's headquarters is built upon Shit Mountain.

TheUsual

Gold Member
This is a scary precedent. Blocking him from activating his game and accessing his DLC from a post you didn't like. Fuck you EA. I don't care if it's for 72 hours, it's blatant anti-consumerism.

ConradCervantes said:
Amazing how quickly EA has lost all the good will built up over the last four years ever since Activision's heel turn. Neutering their PC games, marking them all up to $60, cutting content out of the base game to make it a reservation bonus, and online passes...yeesh.

Truly EA's headquarters is built upon Shit Mountain.
I think Activision was the first to do the $60 pc game and EA saw that it sold fine at that price point, so why not, right?

Yeah I sound like I'm overreacting, but that stunt (the 3 day ban) is a slap to the face of a paying customer.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
TheUsual said:
This is a scary precedent. Blocking him from activating his game and accessing his DLC from a post you didn't like. Fuck you EA. I don't care if it's for 72 hours, it's blatant anti-consumerism.

I think Activision was the first to do the $60 pc game and EA saw that it sold fine at that price point, so why not, right?

Yeah I sound like I'm overreacting, but that stunt (the 3 day ban) is a slap to the face of a paying customer.
Activision was one of the first( I recall Blizzard overcharging in the past for Diablo 2, but that's just a vague memory), but to be fair, Activision has only done that for huge games.

Actvision has done it for all the CODs, and Starcraft 2
EA has done this for Medal of Honor, Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, and Dead Space 2

onken

SneakyStephan said:
Is it EA or bioware who did the banning from the game?

Because this is pretty consistent with the MO of EA.
I remember buying crysis online (to register on eadm).
I still had an account that predated the change in the log in system (you used to log in with your email adress, not your username).
Eadm didn't play nice with the old log in system so none of my games including the new crysis copy would show up on it.
I synched my old account with the new system as the faqs told me to, but the game would still not show up on eadm.

I contacted customer support, and after a week of agonisingly slow back and forth emails they told me that because I hadn't bought it directly from the ea store but from an online retailer instead that it was the stores problem and not theirs.

So I sent them proof that the game did indeed register to my account, then they told me that it would take weeks to forward the request to a superior to manually tag the game to a new account (making my old account work through eadm was not an option apparently) and that they weren't willing to do that (I kid you not!).

When I asked them for a refund, they told me to just borrow a crysis dvd from someone and play it that way (again, I kid you not).

Because they had already gotten my money it basically wasn't their problem anymore.

Sorry for deviating from OT, but yeah, it's pretty much how ea works.

Wow, that is all kinds of fucked up.

I don't think it's actually that awful a thing. *hides*

Look, if people are being pricks, they get punished, right? EA are just, essentially, spraying the bad dog with water to tell him when he's done wrong. Next time, the dog won't do wrong again.

I´m not quite following this. Is this something that only applies to their games bought at EA Store, or does it apply to copies bought through Steam or physical copies?

Erasus

That is messed up and worrying.

What is next? Aion/WoW forum bans disable your accout? :O

Is this true for ever EA game like BFBC2, MoH etc?

Emitan

whatevermort said:

Look, if people are being pricks, they get punished, right? EA are just, essentially, spraying the bad dog with water to tell him when he's done wrong. Next time, the dog won't do wrong again.
So if I talk shit about EA I should have my games taken away from me? How does that make any sense?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
whatevermort said:

More like the dog licked your foot and you took his toys away for 3 days because of it.

TheUsual

Gold Member
whatevermort said:

Banning the person from the forums if one thing, but denying the person to activate their game is another. The kid made the comment (even if the phrasing was blunt) and punishment is not playing the game. That's not right at all.

kitch9

Banned
Jtwo said:
This is some goddamn bullshit.

Not as bad as steam though. Isn't the deal with steam if you get in trouble with one game it bans your whole account for every game? Am I mistaken? I could totally be mistaken. Just because someone hacks in TF2 doesn't mean they should be cut off from L4D.

Thats simple, DON'T FUCKING CHEAT, like a dirty snivelling twat and ruin the game for others.

If it were up to me Cheaters on Steam would have their pc nuked and appendages removed.

TheUsual

Gold Member
kitch9 said:
Thats simple, DON'T FUCKING CHEAT, like a dirty snivelling twat and ruin the game for others.

If it were up to me Cheaters on Steam would have their pc nuked and appendages removed.
This isn't cheating though.

Top Bottom