• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forum Ban stops player from Playing Dragon Age 2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Confidence Man said:
Reasons to pirate: +1
EA games at least.

I just want to say this.. Activision doesn't even do this. Activision doesn't even charge 60 for all of their PC games.

Nirolak said:
On that one actually, they were even locking the positive ones, since they put up a stickied thread for all player reviews: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6413491

They definitely do a whole lot of questionable locking, but consolidating reviews into a single thread doesn't seem that offensive to me.
Alright, that's not as bad. It seemed like they definitely started with the negative ones though, which raised eyebrows.

Calcaneus

Why are the games and the stupid forums connected anyways? So I can't play the single-player game that I paid $60 for because some Mods don't like the way I post on the official forums?

Holy shit.

Two things:

#1 - EA's new motto is we can be bad as long as we are not perceived to be worse than ActiBlizz

#2 - The guy needs to call Charlie Sheen they won't mess with the warlock.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Calcaneus said:
Why are the games and the stupid forums connected anyways? So I can't play the single-player game that I paid $60 for because some Mods don't like the way I post on the official forums?

Holy shit.
Because EA, with their EA accounts, has always wanted to control everything you do. MS, Sony, etc won't give them the right to control people using their devices, so they set up EA accounts for everything.

Cipherr

sprsk said:
Thumbs up to this.

That's what you get for being a troll.

Heh.

I completely like this idea in terms of MMORPGS only. I would have no problem with for example: Blizzard banning your account in game if you got a forum ban. Fuck it, accountability for your actions is a bitch. OTOH, when your talking about a console game, or a game that can be played offline, it shouldn't carry over....But MMO's need to adopt this shit. Maybe then official forums would be worth a damn.

TwiztidElf

"Have you sold your souls to the EA devil?"
It's a question..., sure, with a loaded statement.
But the correct corporate response is: there is no such thing as an EA devil therefore question is void and cannot be answered.
Not to fuck over a paying customer.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is some goddamn bullshit.

Not as bad as steam though. Isn't the deal with steam if you get in trouble with one game it bans your whole account for every game? Am I mistaken? I could totally be mistaken. Just because someone hacks in TF2 doesn't mean they should be cut off from L4D.

Morn said:
I'm not sure if you know how project $10 works. It costs nothing for people who buy the game new. It only fucks over pre-owned copies.

Sorry, no. It fucks over everyone equally. Buy the new FIFA game and hate how the game plays online? Well, best of luck selling it for the 40$ that is the usual used price for a one month old FIFA game. It now sells for 30$. 10$ less towards my next game.

Actually, it fucks over the guy selling the used game the most. Gamestop will pay 10$ less for trade-in. The used game buyer will pay 10$ less used and 10$ to EA, leaving him paying the same price as before.

Jtwo said:
This is some goddamn bullshit.

Not as bad as steam though. Isn't the deal with steam if you get in trouble with one game it bans your whole account for every game? Am I mistaken? I could totally be mistaken. Just because someone hacks in TF2 doesn't mean they should be cut off from L4D.

Depends what you mean. If you mean caught cheating on a VAC protected game, then yes, you will be VAC banned from all games that use that engine. Banned from VAC servers, not the game itself. If you mean a billing issue with one game, then yes your account will be locked until the situation is corrected. If you mean forum posts? Then no, because your forum account is separate from your Steam account.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
At first I was like "HOLY SHIT WHAT," but then I read the actual content of the post and there are two mitigating factors: 1) it's a temporary ban, 2) it's just an activation and DLC thing. If he had already been activated, the ban wouldn't have this effect, right?

This brings it down from "HOLY SHIT WHAT" to "that's bullshit and needs to be addressed immediately."

I'm not sure if this is really the start of a slippery slope... people won't participate on forums or buy games if the publisher can mete out such sweeping punishments for something as trivial as being a dick on the internet. This is probably something that will be corrected after (justified) public outcry.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
LovingSteam said:
Depends what you mean. If you mean caught cheating on a VAC protected game, then yes, you will be VAC banned from all games that use that engine. Banned from VAC servers, not the game itself. If you mean a billing issue with one game, then yes your account will be locked until the situation is corrected. If you mean forum posts? Then no, because your forum account is separate from your Steam account.
Yeah, the VAC bans are what I meant. Are they usually permanent? I don't know how it actually works, I just have the perception of "one VAC ban = fucked for all VAC games on that account forever" which is totally ridiculous.

It's not like it will ever affect me, and I know it's Valves service and they can do what they please and I don't have give them money. But still, fuck that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
whatsinaname said:
Sorry, no. It fucks over everyone equally. Buy the new FIFA game and hate how the game plays online? Well, best of luck selling it for the 40$ that is the usual used price for a one month old FIFA game. It now sells for 30$. 10$ less towards my next game.

Actually, it fucks over the guy selling the used game the most. Gamestop will pay 10$ less for trade-in. The used game buyer will pay 10$ less used and 10$ to EA, leaving him paying the same price as before.

Gamestop has been fucking the used game seller way longer and way harder. Do you still shop there?

Jtwo said:
Yeah, the VAC bans are what I meant. Are they usually permanent? I don't know how it actually works, I just have the perception of "one VAC ban = fucked for all VAC games on that account forever" which is totally ridiculous.

It's not like it will ever affect me, and I know it's Valves service and they can do what they please and I don't have give them money. But still, fuck that.

Sometimes taking part in gaming Utopia requires paying the ultimate price for transgressions.

The weird thing about this is that I don't really feel like it's wrong for Valve to ban cheaters (don't fuckin' cheat, dumbasses) but I'm very sure it's wrong for EA to link forum bans to content access.

I guess the key difference is that cheating is worse than being a jerk on a forum, and EA's response is wildly disproportionate.

vvvvvv also, the VAC ban sounds pretty measured and fair according to this guy

Jtwo said:

VAC bans are permanent. However, you're not banned from the game itself. You're banned from Valve servers for all games that use that engine. So if you were VAC banned from MW2, you'd be banned from Black Ops but ONLY for VAC servers. You still have access to the SP and non VAC protected servers.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, so what are the proportion of VAC servers to non-VAC servers in the typical third party steam game? I'm assuming it is near 100% for Valve's games.

It just seems unreasonable to me to ban someone from Black Ops' VAC servers when they cheated in a game of MW2 two years ago.

Jtwo said:
Hmm, so what are the proportion of VAC servers to non-VAC servers in the typical third party steam game? I'm assuming it is near 100% for Valve's games.

Well its up to each person to use VAC with their dedicated server or not (from what I understand).
There are tons of non VAC servers for the games

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
LovingSteam said:
Well its up to each person to use VAC with their dedicated server or not (from what I understand).
There are tons of non VAC servers for the games
Hmm, I guess that is less outrageous than I had originally thought. I think I still just disagree on principal though, wait for the cheaters to cheat in that specific game before you boot them. I'm all for the ZERO tolerance rule, but do it on a game by game basis. If someone had a bad lapse in judgement and cheated in CS:S then BAN them from that game. Maybe they'll never cheat again, and if they do: BAN THEM from whatever game they've cheated in.

I'm not sure whey I'm playing devil's advocate here since I LOVE playing multiplayer games without cheaters and looking at my list nearly all of them are VAC protected which means they're doing a damn good job keeping the experience great for their non cheating customers.. it still just doesn't seem right.

Cipherr

Jtwo said:

It just seems unreasonable to me to ban someone from Black Ops' VAC servers when they cheated in a game of MW2 two years ago.

Theres plenty on non VAC's but yeah, the MAJORITY of server runners, and gamers want to play WITHOUT cheaters and hackers.....so yeah Im going to guess the majority are VAC based. If you want to hack, go to the non protected servers and do it with like minded fucktards IMO.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cipherr said:
Theres plenty on non VAC's but yeah, the MAJORITY of server runners, and gamers want to play WITHOUT cheaters and hackers.....so yeah Im going to guess the majority are VAC based. If you want to hack, go to the non protected servers and do it with like minded fucktards IMO.
So theoretically you could go to a non VAC server and do all the crazy shit you could ever dream of and not get banned?

If so then I take back everything I've said.

Jtwo said:
So theoretically you could go to a non VAC server and do all the crazy shit you could ever dream of and not get banned?

If so then I take back everything I've said.

Yep. Although at that point its up to the administrator what he wants to allow. But yea, non VAC servers are there for those exact reasons.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yet another thing pirates don't have to worry about.

Crazy how developers/publishers just give them more ammo to run with everyday.

Neddless to say, I won't be picking up DA2, even at some crazy Steam Sale for $5.

Najaf

So, guy can't activate his legit copy of an EA title due to being forum banned.

Said guy googles for a crack.

Said guy (who might have been oblivious to certain avenues of the internet) finds magical places that let him circumvent not only his EA game's activation system but also has his innocent eyes open to the other services at his fingertips.

Said guy does the right thing...this time, and only circumvents his copy for the 72 hour ban.

DLC for said EA title comes out and is overpriced and lacking in content.

The doors have been opened.

Obviously this is a fantasy that plays upon the ideal innocence of a forum regular, and is thus completely nullified.

Exuro

LovingSteam said:
VAC bans are permanent. However, you're not banned from the game itself. You're banned from Valve servers for all games that use that engine. So if you were VAC banned from MW2, you'd be banned from Black Ops but ONLY for VAC servers. You still have access to the SP and non VAC protected servers.
That is false. Black Ops and MW2 are considered to be different engines.

My only issue with VAC is in the case of getting your account hacked/phished and getting vac banned from the hacker cheating on your account. Steam Guard is a good feature that should help alleviate that however.

Exuro said:
That is false. Black Ops and MW2 are considered to be different engines.

My only issue with VAC is in the case of getting your account hacked/phished and getting vac banned from the hacker cheating on your account. Steam Guard is a good feature that should help alleviate that however.

Ahh thanks for the correction.

zoner said:
EA games at least.

I just want to say this.. Activision doesn't even do this. Activision doesn't even charge 60 for all of their PC games.
No, Activision is worse, but regardless, there is no way to "legitimize" pirating. Pirating is wrong in every way. I HATE (i genuinely hate them...) Activision, but I'll never pirate their games.

Hey You

So if someone hits the report post button, it goes straight to EA?

Can Bioware's moderators not handle moderation powers?

Dead Man

So he had his game access removed, and not even by the moderators, just because someone reported him?

sprsk said:
Thumbs up to this.

That's what you get for being a troll.
I wish I could report this post to EA

Boken said:
Ok how the fuck is that legal.

As I said on the last page, it probably wouldn't be if someone was rich enough to take them to court.

If any regular person did, EA's lawyers would stall the case long enough to bankrupt them.

That's crazy, I hope there's enough outrage to change their policy on that. There's zero reason a forum account and a game account need to be connected like that.

kitzkozan

GotEmRunnin said:
Two things:

#1 - EA's new motto is we can be bad as long as we are not perceived to be worse than ActiBlizz

#2 - The guy needs to call Charlie Sheen they won't mess with the warlock.

I'm always one to be optimistic,but EA is going to end up killing Bioware.Unless the doctors find the actual courage to leave the ship before the amount of damage is beyond repair.It's sad that I eventually learned from the Inon Zur interview about the fact that EA was behind the sorry state of Dragon age 2: Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job. EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now. So I'd like to know if there are bugs, or if there's anything we could patch or fix.

The fact that the Old republic could very well be a bomb would just speed up the process.

Massa

Angry Fork said:
Unless he gets it on used through Amazon which imo is the way to go these days if you don't wanna go through the ebay bidding hassle. It may cost a few extra bucks because of shipping but it's better than giving money to gamestop.

People are mainly angry with how this kind of thing could be in the TOS in the first place.

A guy was once banned from PSN based on his comments in a Resistance forum. He sued Sony and lost (though that guy was crazy).

People are banned all the time for violating the ToS on PSN and Xbox Live. You lose all your purchased games when you're banned.

This guy was banned for 72h ban for violating their ToS while using his EA account. If he was losing his account forever based on a single forum post I could understand the complaints, but talking about boycotting EA or being outraged by this simply boggles my mind.

LovingSteam said:
With a name like that, why am I not surprised at your comment.

What the fuck are you talking about.

Zabka

Igor Antunov said:
I blame humanity.

This can't be allowed to become standard practice. Whats next, corporations running in elections?
Yes that would certainly be...terrible...wouldn't it.

Time to write my great novel: "President Coca-Cola"

Top Bottom