• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

leng jai

Popcorn-14-Jimmy-Fallon.gif

I should post in this thread more often.

Angst

belvedere said:
Forza kids mad

It's easy to see which side is "winning"

This shit is hilarious
You'll make many friends in this thread with statements like that... lol

I don't think any side is winning this "war". Or rather, we're both winning. We have two great console racing sims to play and if the competion means we get even better games in the future all is good.

Dead Man

Angst said:

I don't think any side is winning this "war". Or rather, we're both winning. We have two great console racing sims to play and if the competion means we get even better games in the future all is good.
Indeed.

flyinpiranha said:
LOL, using a word I already used on him? Explain to me how I'm being obtuse.

Here, I'll recap since you obviously have been gone a while:

gifs hide tearing <- dude
no they do not -<MeltdownMurphy
why would they create a gif with tearing if they were showing off the game (simple statement)<- me

Explain how that is obtuse and how it is NOT just a simple extension of the conversation before he got defensive?

Please, I'll wait.

why dont you go play for yourself and turn off the HUD and you will know whether it look like that gif or not, oh wait i guess you either dont have gt5 or u havent download the track and are trying to downplay it.

GT5 is still king when it comes to graphics compared to Forza 4. Sorry but that's the fact. Go ahead and post those standards cars and trial mountain pics, no game is graphically perfect on a 5 years old hardware unless the developer is Naughty Dog.

Angst said:

“The object of war is not to die for your [vidya gamez] but to make the other bastard die for his.”

If anything this thread makes me regret selling GT5 a month ago. I'd love to race around Spa as it's all the Forza thread talked about for weeks and my interest is piqued.

sleeping_dragon said:
why dont you go play for yourself and turn off the HUD and you will know whether it look like that gif or not, oh wait i guess you either dont have gt5 or u havent download the track and are trying to downplay it.

flyinpiranha said:
... I am lvl 30+ with the first 3 or 4 tiers of GT5 all golded. ...

I haven't played Spa and I'm not downplaying it. I know what the game looks like after hours upon hours of playing on a Fanatec setup. But yes, I'm just trying to "downplay GT5"

tusken77

amar212 said:
Well, I will tell you a story. You will read it, you will acknowledge what it tells but in matter of one page from now you will completely forget it in order to fully back up your personal opinion.

I run a small dedicated virtual-racing community fro more than 5 years now. We also have more than 10 years of legacy since founders of the community are virtually and practically racing together fro more than decade.

Among our *founder* members are Croatian rally vice-champion with FIA experience and FIA license, guy who races for 20 years and have made tens of thousands of kilometres in both racing, rallying and testing all types of cars available on every surface known to man.

Another member is professional drifter, long-time member of Croatian Drifting Team and guy who invested everything he have to satisfy his real-ife passion for cars.

Third guy is semi-professional motorbike racer, avid car enthusiast and tester for cars.

Besides them, many of us who are not into real-life professional racing on daily basis have had a chance to take our real-life cars to race tracks and race them there during many Test Track drives with real cars, on real tracks and real racing conditions. So we pretty much know "what it should feel like anyways". Majority of *founder* members are people aged 32 and above - average is almost 35 at this point - with driving licences, cars and shared passion for automotive in general.

During past decade we all spontaneously gathered around Gran Turismo series. Worth noting is how all of us have also virtually raced all other racing games, mainly PC simulations: from Geoff Crammond GP series, rFactor, GTR games, GT Legends, LFS, Richard Burns Rally, NetKar, iRacing to all imaginable *simcade* console racers.

But at the end we all just stopped playing all of those other games and focused are passion in Gran Turismo.

When you ask our pro-rally guy what he finds accurate in Gran Turismo he will always say that no other game can capture feel of tires on the surface and to the force feedback wheel as good as GT games does. He highlights handling of the chasis and simulation of suspension over slopes as example that no other game can match. His favorite example of real-life accuracy is driving a RUF BTR on Sports Hard tires what he finds an ultimate simulation of tire/suspension behaviour in the genre.

Our drift-guy highlights low-speed physics and behaviour of comfort-hard tires/suspension modelling with pin-point perfect accuracy of handling as something that no other driving game can achieve. He plays LFS for ultimative low-speed-physics experience, but he finds LFS lacking very much in suspension department.

Our bike-guy also highlights tire/suspension behaviour and feel of the vehicle on the force feedback wheel. He also highlights Tourist Trophy as a game that introduced him to world of Polyphony Digital simulations and he finds it the best bike-simulator game ever conceived that led him to overcome scepticism towards consoles and bite into GT series without prejudice.

I personally have deep passion for implementation of sensation of tire-threshold through force feedback wheels. No other game I know allows me such smooth and precise handling with other cars in close vicinity. No other game puts so much emphasis on road cars, racing stock-value cars on regular compounds. No other game allows for such vast variety of vehicles/classes and types of vehicles. Also I have deep respect to unique maintenance/ownership philosophy of GT series that no other game even tries to compete with and which I find both intriguing and worth admiring from perspective of overal genre. Those are just some of the reasons I love GT series more than other driving games.

All of us also agree about another point - we want to see a game that will make all things above better than GT series does. We want to find that game that will make us to elevate current levels of virtual driving-sensation as GT series does. During past 7 years all of us were very interested in all new franchises that tried to walk the path that GT series established. We tried everything, from Enthusia over Sega GT, Ferrari Challenge games, Shift games, Codemasters titles, we tried to embrace new PC titles, some of members of my community invested a small fortunes into iRacing and rFactor... Few of us got into Forza series from the very beginning and very serious and we really hoped it will evolve into something that will allow us the same level of commitment into creating a believable virtual sensation of racing. But it just didn't happened. Everything came back to Gran Turismo.

Why? I really can't give you any logical and simple explanation. It is just matter of subjective and personal feel. We are all aware the many shortcomings of Gran Turismo. But we are also aware there is no perfect driving simulation outthere. We unanimously agree how all shortcomings of GT are vastly being overcome by its real accomplishments. When all of us put everything on the table, there is no driving game that can give as an allrounded experience as GT series provides.

More than ten years ago I said that many driving games maybe have something that Gran Turismo series does not have, but how no other driving game have what Gran Turismo has.

Once decade later and nothing has changed. At least not for me, and not for majority of members of my community who are still trying to find a game that will deliver the same amount of passion for automotive and actual driving sensation as GT series does on everyday basis. Until that day Gran Turismo series really remains the indisputable winner in category it basically invented 14 years ago. As far as virtual recreation of sensation of actual driving can go with technology affordable to mortal people, Gran Turismo really is the only real driving simulator. And as far as we are concerned - it is the only thing that really matters.

Because this post deserves to begin each page.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Oh I see, we have new kids that just showed up.

It's a joke guys, as is this thread. If you haven't noticed yet, this this thread has a certain circle of life to it.

p3tran

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:
GT5 is still king when it comes to graphics compared to Forza 4. Sorry but that's the fact. Go ahead and post those standards cars and trial mountain pics, no game is graphically perfect....
your opinion, stated as fact.

a game that tears the fuck out when it gets busy cannot be hailed as graphics king. not in this life.

I'll give you "jpeg queen", and thats really the best we can do. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Metalmurphy said:
I used to own an old CRT until a few weeks ago when it finally stop working, with 120Hz refresh rate @ 1280x1024 and games at 120fps didn't look that much smoother then 60fps. And that's DOUBLE the framerate. Now I have a shitty LCD with 60Hz and I can't tell the difference. Control delay wasn't changed either. You get to the a point where the difference is just inconsequential.

I agree tearing is much more distracting though.
60 fps is where the difference becomes somewhat inconsequential, in fact. 120 fps is nice on a 120 Hz display, but I don't feel it makes a significant difference. 60 fps is the perfect framerate for games at this time.

Still, being unable to tell the difference between a CRT and a shitty LCD? That's truly night and day to me.

Dead Man

dark10x said:
60 fps is where the difference becomes somewhat inconsequential, in fact. 120 fps is nice on a 120 Hz display, but I don't feel it makes a significant difference. 60 fps is the perfect framerate for games at this time.

Still, being unable to tell the difference between a CRT and a shitty LCD? That's truly night and day to me.
LOL, I don't say you are wrong, but the standard was 30fps back in the day. Everyone said that was all you needed. I have no doubt that in 5 years there will be people demanding 120fps in their games.

Great post Amar. The points you hit on about driving "normal" cars on the comfort and sport compounds can't be said enough. Still the best there is for pure feel not just pedantic accuracy.

iRacing melts my face off for proper ultra detailed racing simulation (if only I could still afford the subscription and was better at tuning) But the more practical game for me still comes back to GT. I was really impressed with what Forza 3 brought to the genre and I was honestly hoping Kaz/PD was going to steal a few of their ideas. I have only had a limited amount of seat time with Forza 4 but I made sure to drive cars I have a ton of experience with in GT5 on the exact same tracks to get an decent comparison. The feel just isn't quite there yet in Forza. All my handling complaints from 3 exist in 4. But lordy, that sound. It may be a bit "enhanced" but it is fantastic and shows how much PD needs to step it up in that department.

It is obviously all about preference, which is exactly why things like aliasing, etc don't mean shit to me. I played GPL in the original shit texture pack in a 1024x768 window for four hours a few months ago and it was as lovely as ever. I want a driving experience when I hook up my wheel, not a pixel counting exercise. The sensation that comes through my wheel will trump any immersion or lack there of via 720p v 1080p, 30fp, 55fps, 60fps, Ugly F40's, standard models, silly AI, livery editor, shitty paint system. etc. I enjoy those things in terms of a game and I hope both GT and Forza add more and more and perfect them. But I don't buy these games for that, I want to drive a car and feel it. Right now, on consoles, GT5 and the GT franchise still holds that title. Both Forza and GT have a lot to learn from each other and a ton of room for improvement.

amar212

tusken77 said:
Because this post deserves to begin each page.

Thank you for giving me a nice credit for the said, but please don't do it anymore.

I didn't wrote that down in order to bash over FM or give additional fuel to this particular discussion. My sole intention was to try to elaborate to the guy I quoted in that post about his claims regarding lack of real-life expertise on some things.

Now, when I am confronted with accusations of being the troll or someone who is exposed as disqcuized warmonger here, in other threads or even on other sites, I really feel how any further discussion about this matter - as myself is concerned - is becoming pointless. Even more when I'm confronted by the fact how that kind of perception obviously influenced someone decision to grant me access to review-materials.

I apologize if anyone found any of my opinion as trolling, not only in this thread but in all others too. It is the etiquette that I can't really accept by no mean, and by this post I officially retire from posting here.

Dead Man

gutterboy44 said:
Great post Amar. The points you hit on about driving "normal" cars on the comfort and sport compounds can't be said enough. Still the best there is for pure feel not just pedantic accuracy.

iRacing melts my face off for proper ultra detailed racing simulation (if only I could still afford the subscription and was better at tuning) But the more practical game for me still comes back to GT. I was really impressed with what Forza 3 brought to the genre and I was honestly hoping Kaz/PD was going to steel a few of their ideas. I have only had a limited amount of seat time with Forza 4 but I made sure to drive cars I have a ton of experience with in GT5 on the exact same tracks to get an decent comparison. The feel just isn't quite there yet in Forza. All my handling complaints from 3 exist in 4. But lordy, that sound. It may be a bit "enhanced" but it is fantastic and shows how much PD needs to step it up in that department.

It is obviously all about preference, which is exactly why things like aliasing, etc don't mean shit to me. I played GPL in the original shit texture pack in a 1024x768 window for four hours a few months ago and it was as lovely as ever. I want a driving experience when I hook up my wheel, not a pixel counting exercise. The sensation that comes through my wheel will trump any immersion or lack there of via 720p v 1080p, 30fp, 55fps, 60fps, Ugly F40's, standard models, silly AI, livery editor, shitty paint system. etc. I enjoy those things in terms of a game and I hope both GT and Forza add more and more and perfect them. But I don't buy these games for that, I want to drive a car and feel it. Right now, on consoles, GT5 and the GT franchise still holds that title. Both Forza and GT have a lot to learn from each other and a ton of room for improvement.
I like this post.

cbox

sleeping_dragon said:
GT5 is still king when it comes to graphics compared to Forza 4. Sorry but that's the fact. Go ahead and post those standards cars and trial mountain pics, no game is graphically perfect on a 5 years old hardware unless the developer is Naughty Dog.

I don't give a shit about which game wins, I enjoy and love both. But seriously, the repeating textures on trial mountain and laguna seca are just pathetic, and something that could have been fixed in probably a day. They look very very bad. You can't blame that on hardware.

dark10x said:

As far as framerate goes? Nope, unless I have fraps enabled I can't tell if its 50-60 or 120. I only tend to notice it when it starts reaching low 40s, That's when I start disabling stuff in the graphics options.

zoukka

Metalmurphy said:
As far as framerate goes? Nope, unless I have fraps enabled I can't tell if its 50-60 or 120. I only tend to notice it when it starts reaching low 40s, That's when I start disabling stuff in the graphics options.

And this varies from person to person. I'm a damn golden eye myself (which isn't always fun).

Also the years I spend playing Tekken made me notice even the tiniest input lags and am cursed to buy only the best displays in this regard.

shinnn said:
Replay, inside a tunnel.. No gameplay footage. Lolz. Yeah, some cars sound good in GT5. Some five or six. hehe

lol @ amar...

a guy who exchanges a free preview copy of Forza to be a GT troll in the forums.

It's one thing to disrespect us but disrespecting Arma is crossing the line son, his opinion has more weight than anything you will ever say.

EDIT: If you haven't figured, it's a joke ;)

dark10x said:

seriously, Dark, this thread is a lost cause for people like us. they don't care about stuff like that, they just care about defending their racing game of choice. whatever flaws it has won't matter, and whatever flaws the other has will matter massively.

reviews will be more important than sales figures if their game does better in that area, and irrelevant if their game sells better.

technical discussion is crushing for people here, because it cuts out opinion, be it discussion of framerate or poly counts or dynamic lighting vs baked, and so on.

i think we'd both save some sanity if we just back away and take it as given that we care about things they don't.

shinnn

amar212 said:
I am not happy, really :)

I feel disappointed because of the things I find important for the genre, not for the game in general. I would like to present you my post history on GTP from times of Forza 2/3 in order to justify my positive stances regarding Forza series. I find all Forza games great games and I love Forza games - but I also reserve my personal and subjective right to vocal my opinion on things I do not like genre-related.

I am not happy because the wheel support is not as it should be. I am not happy because we were told how there will be no assists. I am not happy because driving with the controller still allows much faster performance than with steering devices. I am not happy because non-ABS braking is still being dumbed-down from almost perfect as it was in FM2. I am not happy because collisions are still being dumbed-down from almost perfect as they were in FM2. I am not happy because actual driving model is not slowing-down in order to achieve actual tire-threshold but is speeding-up in order to make game more attractive. Etc.

I have respect for the T10 and Forza series and goal regarding establishing a respectful brand in the simulation genre they want to achieve. But I am also personally convinced how they're not 100% committed to take everything is necessary to achieve that goal. I see same mistakes repeated from FM3, made in roder to satisfy mainstream public. Once it could be mistake, but second time is deliberate.

I am not trolling and I never trolled anything. I always stand by everything I said because I never express any of my subjective and personal opinions without backing-it-up with some real experience. If I am vocal regarding current state of Forza 4 assists both here and on GTP, that is not trolling, that is stating the obvious. What intrigues me is the lack of real interest on a wider-scale to make those issues more vocal and gather a wider community-support in order to make them right.

All I know is how it came later than it should have.
lowut.

Problems with brakes in Forza. wow. What about GT5? All cars with the same brake balance? GT5P non-abs thing.. WTF? How PD managed to do that? Can't upgrade brakes. WTF?

Forza feels good with a controller.. GT5 feels shit. Forza is wrong!

Faster is wrong. Good sense of speed is wrong! screw that. Give me GT5 boring speed sensation.

Yeah, Forza collisions are really a big problem. Come on.

"gather a wider community-support in order to make them right"

You want Forza community-support posting on neogaf and gtplanet vs threads? oh right.

Ploid 3.0

zoukka said:
And this varies from person to person. I'm a damn golden eye myself (which isn't always fun).

Also the years I spend playing Tekken made me notice even the tiniest input lags and am cursed to buy only the best displays in this regard.

I started playing games on PC since June this year. There are a few games that just feels choppy when they aren't locked (Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, Test Drive Unlimited 2) and some games just deal with not being locked at 60 very well and looks smooth still (Dirt 3). Some games are just destined to feel choppy even if it's locked at 60 (when everything is going well in Hot Pursuit). I guess it may be something going on that make some games feel smooth going between 40-60, like motion blur?

flyinpiranha said:
No it wasn't. The gifs and screenshots are used as gospel in this thread to verify the awesome-ness of everything.

If we are using gifs and then talk about tearing, it's fairly obvious that the "fans" of either series will not make a gif or ss that would show the game in a bad light, which would in turn mean that we wouldn't see gifs where it would include tearing.

I never said gifs hide tearing, I never said it didn't. It was, for the most part, a very simple statement in the discussion of gifs that the reason we don't see tearing is because people making them wouldn't want the gif to reflect badly on the game, not because tearing doesn't exist.

The same way people use this to justify everything?

GTpics1-tm.jpg

Not everyone is hell-bent on the negatives, it does have a lot of negatives but that does not mean we can't post the positives. I was having an argument over at Gtplanet and the guy i was arguing with accused me of "carefully selecting" gif's of GT5 when those same gif's did not represent the game. I mean wtf, we know it has it's negatives and we sometimes posts those negatives but when we post positives it somehow is a bad thing?

zoukka

saladine1 said:
Are you being disrespectful with that post?

You forgot son.

I guess it may be something going on that make some games feel smooth going between 40-60, like motion blur?

There are a lot of things that can have an effect on this and motion blur is one of them.

SmokyDave

I love the fact that this thread started out as FM3 vs GT5.

If this thread turns into an all-out war, I'm going to shank everyone that said they love both games equally. You hippy fence-sitters have got it coming.

Respawn

Banned
shinnn said:
Replay, inside a tunnel.. No gameplay footage. Lolz. Yeah, some cars sound good in GT5. Some five or six. hehe

lol @ amar...

a guy who exchanges a free preview copy of Forza to be a GT troll in the forums.

You really are pathetic. Amar has been around for years and his car knowledge is invaluable. He may not know me but I know him and you should show respect even if you agree or not.
Also all the cry babies stating its his opinion when they miss the crucial points in his post.

Ploid 3.0

SmokyDave said:

If this thread turns into an all-out war, I'm going to shank everyone that said they love both games equally. You hippy fence-sitters have got it coming.

Ha I didn't notice the title change. So GT5 won that battle?

SmokyDave said:

if this turns into all-out war, we're just the collateral 2d trees.

Respawn

Banned
shinnn said:
lowut.

Problems with brakes in Forza. wow. What about GT5? All cars with the same brake balance? GT5P non-abs thing.. WTF? How PD managed to do that? Can't upgrade brakes. WTF?

Faster is wrong. Good sense of speed is wrong! screw that. Give me GT5 boring speed sensation.

You want Forza community-support posting on neogaf and gtplanet vs threads? oh right.

lol someone's mad

Ploid 3.0 said:
Ha I didn't notice the title change. So GT5 won that battle?

Nope. It pretty much consisted of:

"man, if Forza 3 is giving GT5 a run of it's money already, imagine Forza 4. That's the true comparison!"

"Forza 3 only reviewed higher because it came out first. Forza 2 is only rates high because it was the first sim on 360. When Forza 4 comes out it will rate lower than GT5 because GT5 is already out."

-Forza 4 Metacritic is just as high as it's predecessors-

"Reviews don't matter! Rabble rabble sales! Spec II! SPA!"

And here we are.

krioto

Infamous Chris said:
Nope. It pretty much consisted of:

"man, if Forza 3 is giving GT5 a run of it's money already, imagine Forza 4. That's the true comparison!"

"Forza 3 only reviewed higher because it came out first. Forza 2 is only rates high because it was the first sim on 360. When Forza 4 comes out it will rate lower than GT5 because GT5 is already out."

-Forza 4 Metacritic is just as high as it's predecessors-

"Reviews don't matter! Rabble rabble sales! Spec II! SPA!"

And here we are.

I love an unbiased summation.... this thread just keeps on delivering.

nib95

Banned
It's getting crazy up in here. Nice post from Amar, guy is a legend so I certainly value his opinion. There are some other hardcore Sim racing fans on GAF who admittedly mainly race on PC, but have said the same things about GT vs Forza, such as McLaren777. To most enthusiasts GT is definitely the more accurate and realistic driving and racing experience.

I think Forza is personally the more accessible one. It's a good in-between for people who want arcade to sim, but not something too much on the side of sim. Which again, is where GT is a good balance between people who want accessible sim, but not extreme level sim such as PC sims like iRacing which are even less easy for laymen to get in to than GT.

I do think, despite the long 6 year wait for the games release, GT is still leading the way in terms of technology and feature set in the sense that Forza is still playing catch up with respect to racing and handling physics, AI, graphics and lighting engine, vehicle diversity, weather, night racing etc. But Forza is leading the way in UI and community aspects, such as interface speed, game progression, livery editor, upgrade options etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dead Man said:
LOL, I don't say you are wrong, but the standard was 30fps back in the day. Everyone said that was all you needed. I have no doubt that in 5 years there will be people demanding 120fps in their games.
That's not even remotely true.

You do realize that 99% of games released on the NES, SNES, and Genesis all ran at 60 fps, right? Arcade games and console games were known for pushing graphics are fast framerates, which is what separated them from computers of that era. When 3D became popular, however, this was lost for a while as consoles really could not deliver high end 3D visuals at a fast framerate. When games that DID deliver came along, however, the results were always impressive. I dealt with it, but it was hard playing racing games on my PC at 30 fps when the arcades were rocking Daytona USA and SCUD Race at 60 fps with unparalleled visual quality. It was the fast framerate that really sold those games.

60 fps has always been the desired framerate and 60 Hz has been the common refresh rate of displays since the beginning. With very few displays actually accepting 120 Hz, I doubt we'll see 120 fps become common (especially when the difference between 60 and 120 is more subtle). The difference between 30 and 60 has ALWAYS been significant.

This gen has actually been a huge step back for consoles in that regard. The PS2 routinely delivered impressive AAA games at 60 fps. A framerate that high has, unfortunately, become somewhat uncommon with recent consoles. Specifically looking at GT5, it's disappointing that we came from a near perfect 60 fps with GT3 and GT4 to a somewhat less stable 60 with GT5. The visual upgrades were expected with a new generation, but the performance hit was not.

mxgt

Banned
Dibbz said:
Wait what? How is a direct feed capture from GT5 which is then turned into a gif look nothing like the game? And you say everyone else is grasping at straws?

Because it's downsampled massively. GT5 doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does in gifs, no game does.

mxgt said:
Because it's downsampled massively. GT5 doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does in gifs, no game does.
Unless you're playing on some shit TV, every game in motion looks much more like a gif than some direct screen grab.

nib95

Banned
Sporran said:
its fair to say eurogamer holds the same views too, in respect of handling.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-reassessing-gran-turismo-5-article

Pretty much mirrors the views from my post above. But yea, if you want handling or driving accuracy and vehicle or racing diversity, go GT, if you want something more accessible and community orientated, go Forza.

I am glad to see at least one journalist or gaming outlet finally recognise this though (something Sim orientated outlets already agreed upon). A few of the others claimed Forza 4 as the most realistic yet, which I found quite humorous. Some of the reviews went a little too far with the praise, but this also happened with F3 so I am not surprised.

The Stealth Fox

shinnn said:
lowut.

what is this... some sort of crap joke?

Top Bottom