• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

p3tran

Banned
Xanadu said:
why are you posting pics of the forza/gt games you own? this seems a little silly
being silly is a requirement in this thread, so

img_2185ipyy.jpg

and with the above, imo forza beats gt where it matters.

leng jai

Angst said:
Absolutely agree. I put value into amar's opinion, not because he currently favours GT, but because he has a long history in playing racing games and I'm interested to hear what his opinion is in a couple of months.

And "gifs that looks nothing like the game". I'll never understand you people. The smallness of the gif gives it a better IQ and that's it. The game looks like the gif. Do you guys really think people use real life video, spend hours overlaying GT cockpits and HUD just to fool people in this thread?

SDF assemble? The current knee jerk is pretty much onesided the other way.

Better IQ whilst also hiding the tearing. Not to mentioned they're always hand picked in spots where GT5 looks its best.

jaypah

Here's an honest question. I notice folks commenting on frame drops and while I can notice them im more concerned with the jaggies. So my question is do others find this game pretty jaggy or is there some kind of setting I'm missing on my tv/ps3? Maybe I sit too close for my screen size when I play it (73 inches from 4 or 5 feet away)? I can sit a little further back but I like the immersion factor there when I'm using the wheel. I don't care when it's in 3d since I'm usually drooling.

leng jai

jaypah said:
Here's an honest question. I notice folks commenting on frame drops and while I can notice them im more concerned with the jaggies. So my question is do others find this game pretty jaggy or is there some kind of setting I'm missing on my tv/ps3? Maybe I sit too close for my screen size when I play it (73 inches from 4 or 5 feet away)? I can sit a little further back but I like the immersion factor there when I'm using the wheel. I don't care when it's in 3d since I'm usually drooling.

Which game are you talking about? Forza 4 is has a lot of jaggies compared to GT5 which has barely any.

leng jai said:
Better IQ whilst also hiding the tearing. Not to mentioned they're always hand picked in spots where GT5 looks its best.

I think Spa looks great any spot you choose. Also, GIFs don't hide tearing.

I've seen some tearing right at the first corner, don't think I've seen it elsewhere in Spa.

Xanadu

Banned
p3tran said:
being silly is a requirement in this thread, so

http://www.abload.de/img/img_2185ipyy.jpg[/IM]

and with the above, imo [B]forza beats gt where it matters[/B].[/QUOTE]
where does it matter? physics?

Metalmurphy said:
I think Spa looks great any spot you choose. Also, GIFs don't hide tearing.

I've seen some tearing right at the first corner, don't think I've seen it elsewhere in Spa.

You really think somebody is going to make a gif that shows a tear?

Xanadu said:
where does it matter? physics?

Where it matter is up to each one, which is why this will never end.

flyinpiranha said:
You really think someone made that gif specifically where it didn't show tearing? Or was it because it was the few seconds in the video where he was using cockpit view and a look to the famous Eau Rouge?

shinnn

flyinpiranha said:
Which is the very definition of troll!
can't quote a ignored user so.

Well I see amar talking (only bad things) about Forza here on neogaf (mostly in this vs thread) and on gtplanet (only in the vs thread).

I think he got a FM3 review copy from Che just because his trolling. But missed FM4 because.. yeah, no one cares about him anymore since Che is gone.

Metalmurphy said:
You really think someone made that gif specifically where it didn't show tearing? Or was it because it was the few seconds in the video where he was using cockpit view and a look to the famous Eau Rouge?

I didn't say that. I asked if you thought somebody would make a gif of a tear.

amar212

shinnn said:
lol @ amar...
a guy who exchanges a free preview copy of Forza to be a GT troll in the forums.

Shin, I guess you have mistaken me with someone. I happily play my FM4 review-copy every day since Tuesday - Piranha can tell you about my Rival activities - and still wait for my LCE to arrive from UK. And I play Forza and love Forza since Forza 2, the first game was not my favorite because it didn't have a wheel option so I just rushed through it with the controller for purpose of the sub-review back in 2005.

Also, my post was not intended to be "gospel" is is just a subjective and personal opinion of me and my racing buddies, as it is stated few times in the context of answering to post I was quoting.

It is not a factual thing, because there can be anything factual nor objective in something that is founded on subjective and personal sensation of virtualized reality. What I personally find great, somebody else finds opposite. And it is natural way of things.

I raised the matter of explaining background of my and my buddies claims because the guy I quoted was clearly indicating how stating of opinion regarding this matter is based on lack of actual real-life expertise.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Metalmurphy said:
That's kind of a stupid question isn't it? What's the point?

That was my point. You say a gif wouldn't hide a tear but anybody trying to show off GT5 wouldn't make a gif of that ... I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend for you.

And yeah, amar plays rivals, which reminds me I need to slaughter you this weekend lol!

shinnn

amar212 said:
Shin, I guess you have mistaken me with someone. I happily play my FM4 review-copy every day since Tuesday - Piranha can tell you about my Rival activities - and still wait for my LCE to arrive from UK. And I play Forza and love Forza since Forza 2, the first game was not my favorite because it didn't have a wheel option so I just rushed through it with the controller for purpose of the sub-review back in 2005.

Also, my post was not intended to be "gospel" is is just a subjective and personal opinion of me and my racing buddies, as it is stated few times in the context of answering to post I was quoting.

It is not a factual thing, because there can be anything factual nor objective in something that is founded on subjective and personal sensation of virtualized reality. What I personally find great, somebody else finds opposite. And it is natural way of things.

I raised the matter of explaining background of my and my buddies claims because the guy I quoted was clearly indicating how stating of opinion regarding this matter is based on lack of actual real-life expertise.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Oh sorry my bad. I didn't see you talking about your review copy in any FM4 thread. Just read your complains about the game. You don't look happy lol.

edit: you got a review copy after the release?

flyinpiranha said:
That was my point. You say a gif wouldn't hide a tear but anybody trying to show off GT5 wouldn't make a gif of that ... I'm not sure why this is so hard to comprehend for you.

And yeah, amar plays rivals, which reminds me I need to slaughter you this weekend lol!

The guy said GIFs hide tearing, which is untrue. That's all I replied to. Maybe I'm not the one having a hard time understanding what he reads.

jaypah

leng jai said:
Which game are you talking about? Forza 4 is has a lot of jaggies compared to GT5 which has barely any.

no i was talking about GT. i can see jaggies everywhere. it's less jaggy than the forza 4 demo but still jaggy. if you say GT barely has any jaggies then i guess i should futz around with my tv and try to locate the problem. thanks.

saladine1

That's the thing right there. Physics is a very subjective debate. I can go on about how myself and a few mates race in the V8 Brutes, Porsche Carrera Cup and various rally comps down here is Aus but I wont go into a credentials war.
We feel that games like RBR, iRacing etc.. are the benchmarks for physics in racing games and that console sims like GT and Forza, are good in their own right but are still short in many ways.
The fact of the matter is, people are always going to prefer one type of physics over another and it comes down to one major factor imo......perception.

zoukka

Metalmurphy said:
The guy said GIFs hide tearing, which is untrue. That's all I replied to. Maybe I'm not the one having a hard time understanding what he reads.

Err, gifs can hide a lot of shit due to compression, framerate conversions and such... most notably they hide jaggies just like youtube compression does.

jaypah said:
no i was talking about GT. i can see jaggies everywhere. it's less jaggy than the forza 4 demo but still jaggy. if you say GT barely has any jaggies then i guess i should futz around with my tv and try to locate the problem. thanks.

It has jaggies with the smoke/rain problem, but besides that GT5 has amazing IQ. 4xMSAA + 2xTAA will do that.

There's also some annoying shimmering which you might be mistaking for jaggies.

zoukka said:
Err, gifs can hide a lot of shit due to compression, framerate conversions and such... most notably they hide jaggies just like youtube compression does.
But... not tearing.

p3tran

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
hey, if anybody says here that game does not tear like a bitch, then maybe I'd be forced to make some gifs lol
slow-mo, back and forth, to see the cars in front of you cut into half. yuk

where does it matter?
where does it matter xanadu?
- as a complete package, game works better. period.
- graphics/sound are more solid. way more solid.
- online features are great since forza1 in the old box. not so much in gt.
- community stuff to do is way better too.
many other things also add up, but mainly I'd go with the above.

but have in mind that both games are being held down by the obsolete hardware.
both would really benefit from stronger hardware, just imagine their high def. models running around at 1080p 60hz locked with plenty of aa and a couple of extra filters thrown on top. and much more horsepower for simulation too. dont forget that!
then other things like sound (gt5 especially) ai and damage modeling would get better too.
and on top, more things could be done for fidelity to reality.

I really dont care for night racing and rain/snow, and to be frank I dont even care about cockpits etc. I believe there are lots of things to perfect on sunny, dry tarmac before reaching out for that stuff.
but if these are added -not in expense of what is core for me, but as added features, then they are welcome.

jaypah

Metalmurphy said:
It has jaggies with the smoke/rain problem, but besides that GT5 has amazing IQ. 4xMSAA + 2xTAA will do that.

There's also some annoying shimmering which you might be mistaking for jaggies.

But... not tearing.

actually it may be the shimmering. i dont know. i get off early today (woohoo!) so i get to play for an hour or 2 so i'll check it out. thanks.

Metalmurphy said:

Why are you so defensive and obtuse over comments?

"Gif hides tearing" -< Dude
"no it doesn't" <- You
"why would you make a gif of tearing anyway to show off the game?" <- Me

I mean seriously? I comment on how there wouldn't be any tearing in a gif for the most part because somebody trying to show off the game wouldn't include it (no matter how completely rare due to Spec II it is now).

You get way to defensive about the most trivial comments sometimes.

shinnn

Metalmurphy said:
But... not tearing.
A gif can hide tearing. If the video is 30 fps, and the gif is 15 or 20fps, it can miss the frames with tearing.

lol what stupid discussion.

But again regarding this gif discussion, there's a few examples in this thread.. gif showing smoke without pixelation, gif showing how awesome the GT5 colisions are. AI. lol.

flyinpiranha said:
Why are you so defensive and obtuse over comments?

"Gif hides tearing" -< Dude
"no it doesn't" <- You
"why would you make a gif of tearing anyway to show off the game?" <- Me

I mean seriously? I comment on how there wouldn't be any tearing in a gif for the most part because somebody trying to show off the game wouldn't include it (no matter how completely rare due to Spec II it is now).

You get way to defensive about the most trivial comments sometimes.

Because your question was stupid and made no sense in relation to what I was saying. It's not about being defensive, it's about me not getting your point.

Hey the Knicks won tonight!
No they didn't!
Why would anyone want the Nicks to win?

... what?

zoukka said:
Why not? If you convert 60 frames into less, you lose frames which could have tearing in them.
Well, I guess that's true, but that's just removing the frame and not hiding the actually tearing. A cut image is a cut image even in a gif, no way to hide it unless you shop it.

Metalmurphy said:
Because your question was stupid and made no sense in relation to what I was saying. It's not about being defensive, it's about me not getting your point.

Hey the Knicks won tonight!
No they didn't!
Why would anyone want the Nicks to win?

... what?

Yeah, stupid analogy and an even more idiotic response.

amar212

shinnn said:
Oh sorry my bad. I didn't see you talking about your review copy in any FM4 thread. Just read your complains about the game. You don't look happy lol.

I am not happy, really :)

I feel disappointed because of the things I find important for the genre, not for the game in general. I would like to present you my post history on GTP from times of Forza 2/3 in order to justify my positive stances regarding Forza series. I find all Forza games great games and I love Forza games - but I also reserve my personal and subjective right to vocal my opinion on things I do not like genre-related.

I am not happy because the wheel support is not as it should be. I am not happy because we were told how there will be no assists. I am not happy because driving with the controller still allows much faster performance than with steering devices. I am not happy because non-ABS braking is still being dumbed-down from almost perfect as it was in FM2. I am not happy because collisions are still being dumbed-down from almost perfect as they were in FM2. I am not happy because actual driving model is not slowing-down in order to achieve actual tire-threshold but is speeding-up in order to make game more attractive. Etc.

I have respect for the T10 and Forza series and goal regarding establishing a respectful brand in the simulation genre they want to achieve. But I am also personally convinced how they're not 100% committed to take everything is necessary to achieve that goal. I see same mistakes repeated from FM3, made in roder to satisfy mainstream public. Once it could be mistake, but second time is deliberate.

I am not trolling and I never trolled anything. I always stand by everything I said because I never express any of my subjective and personal opinions without backing-it-up with some real experience. If I am vocal regarding current state of Forza 4 assists both here and on GTP, that is not trolling, that is stating the obvious. What intrigues me is the lack of real interest on a wider-scale to make those issues more vocal and gather a wider community-support in order to make them right.

shinnn said:
edit: you got a review copy after the release?

All I know is how it came later than it should have.

flyinpiranha said:
Stupid and idiotic?

Oh, and like two people said above me, I guess gifs can hide tearing. So not only are you defensive, but you're wrong.

Oh shut the fuck up please. A video can hide tearing the same way a gif can hide tearing. If you remove the frames where the tearing happens.

Anyone with a working brain knew what I was actually talking about.

You wanted defensive? There's defensive.

Metalmurphy said:
Oh shut the fuck up please. A video can hide tearing the same way a gif can hide tearing. If you remove the frames where the tearing happens.

Anyone with a working brain knew what I was actually talking about.

You wanted defensive? There's defensive.

Nice meltdown.

Seriously, you take this shit to heart.

You simply said "not tearing" which now after a few comments from other posters have been proven wrong you backtrack and say "oh, if smart u know".

I simply responded by saying that nobody making a gif would include the tearing as they would be trying to show off the game.

Then you went batshit insane.

krioto said:
Meltdown - you're just being an obtuse dick

LOL, using a word I already used on him? Explain to me how I'm being obtuse.

Here, I'll recap since you obviously have been gone a while:

gifs hide tearing <- dude
no they do not -<MeltdownMurphy
why would they create a gif with tearing if they were showing off the game (simple statement)<- me

Explain how that is obtuse and how it is NOT just a simple extension of the conversation before he got defensive?

Please, I'll wait.

Angst

This thread certainly got funny and has nicely kept away the boredom at work.

Keep it up!
KuGsj.gif

*waits for someone to argue that it's 1000 times more funny in some other thread*

flyinpiranha said:
Nice meltdown.

Seriously, you take this shit to heart.

You simply said "not tearing" which now after a few comments from other posters have been proven wrong you backtrack and say "oh, if smart u know".

I simply responded by saying that nobody making a gif would include the tearing as they would be trying to show off the game.

Then you went batshit insane.

As you look at your responding statement, clearly it was a useless one to make though.

ssolitare said:
As you look at your responding statement, clearly it was a useless one to make though.

No it wasn't. The gifs and screenshots are used as gospel in this thread to verify the awesome-ness of everything.

If we are using gifs and then talk about tearing, it's fairly obvious that the "fans" of either series will not make a gif or ss that would show the game in a bad light, which would in turn mean that we wouldn't see gifs where it would include tearing.

I never said gifs hide tearing, I never said it didn't. It was, for the most part, a very simple statement in the discussion of gifs that the reason we don't see tearing is because people making them wouldn't want the gif to reflect badly on the game, not because tearing doesn't exist.

Metalmurphy said:
At least my non existent "meltdown" is concerning someones obtuse idiocy, and not a favorite game someone can't see criticized.

Actually my favorite game is Red Dead Redemption and I speak from experience, I am lvl 30+ with the first 3 or 4 tiers of GT5 all golded. How much of Forza have you played? I prefer one over the over, that is fact and I cannot deny that. But you make it sound like I dislike GT5 or that I don't like Forza criticized is laughable. I've stated my criticisms on it myself, in this very thread.

"non-existent meltdown" ... sure buddy.

Top Bottom