• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Insertia

theignoramus said:
The Citroen pics are not from GT5, they are from a concept render.
Someone should compare the photomode 458 pics with the screengrabs from PD's prerendered 458 trailer.

It looks the same.

Cheeto

skybaby said:
Guys I just learned from the GT5 thread that ****x1080 = 1080p. So something like 320x1080p = full hd! :lol
img.php

Well I've never been a sim racing games fan, I only played a GT or a Forza a handful of times. I rather play some Ridge Racer anytime. But this GT versus Forza debate caught my attention, especially with people using GT5:p as a comparison.
I downloaded the Forza 3 demo and tried GT5: P on a GT kiosk/pod thing and the impression I get is that people here are way too forgiving on GT5:p. I don't think the game looks bad at all but it sure didn't look like the shots I saw in this thread. I played on the Daytona circuit because it's simple. The lighting is really good but the shadows on the car were really strange, like blocks even... And there were lots of jaggies. I won't comment on the track since it's very simple by its nature. With all this, the models didn't look very superior to the ones in Forza 3. I don't know if spec III is any different. I did notice though that you could see the interiors from the outside of the car view.

On a side note, using a good wheel makes huge difference. I actually never enjoyed playing a sim so much before. :D

skybaby said:
Guys I just learned from the GT5 thread that ****x1080 = 1080p. So something like 320x1080p = full hd! :lol

"Full HD" is a marketing term that signifies 1920x1080 resolution. So no, that resolution you quoted wouldn't be full HD. But it is 1080p. Simple as that.

What were you trying to prove btw?

belvedere

Junior Butler
H_Prestige said:
"Full HD" is a marketing term that signifies 1920x1080 resolution. So no, that resolution you quoted wouldn't be full HD. But it is 1080p. Simple as that.

Maybe somehow it made F3's graphics a bit better?

K' Dash

H_Prestige said:

Full HD, eh? I LOL'ed when TV manofacturers started marketing 1080p as "FULL HD", if 1080p is full hd what are the resolutions that crap all over 1080p, "better than real life HD"? :lol

All this resolution wars, could be resumed in: the resolution should be proportional to the TV size, >=42"displays should be 1080p capable or it would look bad if you sit close to the TV, for <42" TV's 720p or 1080i is fine, 37", 32", 26" and smaller wont show perceptible difference between 1080p and 720p/1080i.

All the above IMO.

Woz

Man, this discussion regarding that 1280 x 1080 is really lame.

Is fullHD? No

Is 1080p? Not strictly

Is more than 720p? Yes

Is more suitable for fullHD tvs than 720p? I think yes

-viper-

Banned
Whatever the '1080p' resolution of GT5P is, it doesn't really matter. It looks like the sharpest looking PS3 game alongside Wipeout HD. Maybe its not quite 1080p, but is it very close to it? Of course it fucking is.

bj00rn_

Banned
Keikoku said:

Pretty hefty amount of details going on there.. And for some odd reason about one thousand times better looking than the screenshots shown earlier.

Anyway, with that video it's safe to say that we can call off the "FORZA 3 CAMERA DOESN'T SHOW ROLL WHILE ACCELERATING OR BRAKING!-crisis" as just more...FUD..from the butthurtses?

Xun

I'm still baffled as to why the menus in GT5P don't use the same resolution as it does in-game (which looks superior due to the AA).

bj00rn_

Banned
McLovin said:
OMG dude.. I thought it was a GT5 video when I clicked the link. First thing out of my mouth was "wtf this looks like forza".. then I thought "shit.. don't tell me it was all a lie.. is this what gt5 really looks like?! Fuck!".. then I saw the title. Phew...

When you grow up and start look for jobs; Don't get into acting..

Xun said:
I'm still baffled as to why the menus in GT5P don't use the same resolution as it does in-game (which looks superior due to the AA).
Evidently Polyphony thought more pixels was more important than AA. Seems most people agree, given the current discussion about resolution (even though anamorphic 1080p has more pixels than 720p, it evidently still doesn't have enough for their tastes).

Woz said:
Man, this discussion regarding that 1280 x 1080 is really lame.

Is fullHD? No

Is 1080p? Not strictly
Yes, actually, it is. It's progressive scan with 1080 lines of vertical resolution. That's all that 1080p means. If you think that 1280x1080 isn't 1080p, then you also think a lot of DVDs aren't 480i. Because all the anamorphic widescreen versions are doing the exact same type of scaling GT5 P is.

For clarity and consistency, it's best to refer to games that render this way as "anamorphic 1080p", and Blu-rays, etc. as "full 1080p". They are different, but they are both 1080p.

McLovin said:
OMG dude.. I thought it was a GT5 video when I clicked the link. First thing out of my mouth was "wtf this looks like forza".. then I thought "shit.. don't tell me it was all a lie.. is this what gt5 really looks like?! Fuck!".. then I saw the title. Phew...
This post actually made me angry. So dumb....

Woz

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, actually, it is. It's progressive scan with 1080 lines of vertical resolution. That's all that 1080p means. If you think that 1280x1080 isn't 1080p, then you also think a lot of DVDs aren't 480i. Because all the anamorphic widescreen versions are doing the exact same type of scaling GT5 P is.

For clarity and consistency, it's best to refer to games that render this way as "anamorphic 1080p", and Blu-rays, etc. as "full 1080p". They are different, but they are both 1080p.

I was trying to be diplomatic =P

I've alway thought that 480i/p was for 640 x 480 resolution, and the widescreen version just an adaptation for 16:9 televisions.

Cat in the Hat said:
This post actually made me angry. So dumb....

Yeah. But posters like him are pretty much saying "I am a horses ass, ignore me and my opinions" when they post shit like that so in the end they are doing us a favor. One more idiot I can just skip over in a thread...

McLovin

Sorry guys I was joking. I tried to write it in a way that nobody would take it seriosly. Can't a guy troll just once? Honestly though both games are good.. I'm getting both games anyway.

McLovin said:
Sorry guys I was joking. I tried to write it in a way that nobody would take it seriosly. Can't a guy troll just once? Honestly though both games are good.. I'm getting both games anyway.

Ya got me with that one, nice job. :D

There has been some hardcore Forza haters in here though so you can't really tell who's being serious anymore...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
LiquidMetal14 said:
Replay shots with added motion blur but all assets are in game.

s5yblx.jpg

2zrnplv.jpg

2ppwyzs.jpg

35n4tbr.jpg

Seriously guys there isn't really a difference between the two types of screenshots.

mckmas8808

Interfectum said:
There isn't.

But if Turn 10 are liars then that must mean PD are liars too.

It's the only way.

So I wonder why people keep saying that they are bullshots. People are acting like the replay mode won't look 95% like those pics.

mckmas8808 said:
So I wonder why people keep saying that they are bullshots. People are acting like the replay mode won't look 95% like those pics.

The bottom pics are from GT5's photo mode, which increases the resolution to well beyond 1080p and adds an ungodly amount of AA. All assets are the same though.

mckmas8808

H_Prestige said:
The bottom pics are from GT5's photo mode, which increases the resolution to well beyond 1080p and adds an ungodly amount of AA. All assets are the same though.

Which is true. But in those pics that are on this page it isn't that much of a difference. So does it really matter?

sinnergy said:
And?

How do you think your eyes are seeing it from a screen?
Just about any current gen game benefits from offscreen camera footage, it totally changes the lighting. I thought this was common knowledge. Or were you trying to make some sort of pun?

Keikoku

Banned
theignoramus said:
Just about any current gen game benefits from offscreen camera footage, it totally changes the lighting. I thought this was common knowledge. Or were you trying to make some sort of pun?

Like these GT5 offscreen footage screencaps right ?

Top Bottom