• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

spwolf

F#A#Oo said:
If you can list the changes...I'll be impressed. ;)

between GT4 and GT5 Prologue in driving physics? Standard model is already better than GT4 and Pro physics are even better... you need to look at GT5P threads from that time.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
What is sad is that bish has to come in and make some sort of CIA-type announcement in order to get the thread to die down. In other words, people disengaged from trolling, hatred, lunacy, rage, and general fanboyishness only after a threat was made that may or may not lead to the temporary or permanent suspension of accounts.

This thread was (I think) my idea. The idea was to get the trolls together (especially the stealth trolls) in one place to keep the pollution contained. However, I also hoped that some real, meaningful discussion about the pros and cons of each series would surface after the trolls had their fun. There were a few rational points made that could be qualified as some sort of thoughtful discussion. Unfortunately, these comments were few and far between. If anything, the trolling and hatred intensified to levels I haven't personally seen on GAF.

The message is: wake up people. If you hesitate about posting because you think you're going to get banned then really evaluate what you're all about. Why do you want to waste hours of your life on a message board espousing polarizing views and attitudes that come from a fanatic devotion to a product made a mega corporation? Games are about having fun. Discussion about games should be fun. The community around these games should be open, loving, and sincere. This thread is myopic, dark, and depressing.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chubigans said:
I'm pretty sure it was my idea. Seeing as how I started the last one with GTA IV and pushed to get this one made. :p

I'm asking bish to start a thread so we can discuss this.

I think that the mods should have applied the "talk about GT/FM on the wrong thread = ban" rule without creating this thread at all. It was just... wrong.

RSTEIN said:
This thread was (I think) my idea. The idea was to get the trolls together (especially the stealth trolls) in one place to keep the pollution contained. However, I also hoped that some real, meaningful discussion about the pros and cons of each series would surface after the trolls had their fun. There were a few rational points made that could be qualified as some sort of thoughtful discussion. Unfortunately, these comments were few and far between. If anything, the trolling and hatred intensified to levels I haven't personally seen on GAF.

This. I tried to bring up some technical points as basis of correction but it was clearly a waste of time. Not only did people use this thread as a free for all but they made sure to sink to new lows.

I think what this thread really goes to show is the level of fanatical bias that people have in this hobby. It's no less scary than fanatical liberals vs ultra conservatives. Yet somehow even they can exhibit more tact. Perhaps it's the age factor + what they saw as immunity that really let them search for such low depths but either way, this thread was an eye opener. Now you'll see people try to spin it as "oh lighten up! it's just jokes!"

mujun

SamBishop said:
Heya, buddy!

And I still hate the idea of this thread...

You mean that you hate the idea that people like the ones in this thread exist right?

Don't hate the game man, hate the players.

As soon as that someone mentioned Bish's list I had a feeling this thread would suddenly lose the irrational hate. Turned out the be true, that's either a sad thing or a funny thing. I can't decide.

KHarvey16

I hope it sticks around until both FM3 and GT5 are released. Then we can see who's really here to discuss a real comparison without stupid gifs and system wars.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MightyHedgehog said:
Does anyone have a highlights reel for this thread yet? I'd love to read all of it, but it's really fucking painful reading.
I second this. I've been following this thread for the laughs but it blew up really fast. I'd love to read some of the exceptionally dumb or inflammatory posts.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
KHarvey16 said:
I hope it sticks around until both FM3 and GT5 are released. Then we can see who's really here to discuss a real comparison without stupid gifs and system wars.
Seconded.

Baby Milo

SamBishop said:
Sorry, I've been stuck with work lately but... it's a concentration of everything that is wrong with GAF as a collective, and creating the topic was both a blatant coaxing of stupid console warrior shit and a theater for one-system fucks to.. ohhhhh... Aw crap, I just got it.

It's still a goddamn cesspool and does no favors to help this place to buck the trend of being a vacuum of intelligent discourse or understanding that, yes, people can dig games on competing systems without being offended shitheels.

Fuck you, Bish -- we may share a name (even if mine is real), but you've only made some of the worst parts of this forum a showpiece for why this place is cesspool. I understand the reasoning behind trying to concentrate all that "rah rah my game is better than yours" sentiment in one place, but it's far more productive to just ban IPs upon first infraction. Threads like this do more to further the hilariously retarded console wars than they would ever localize an infection.

Talk with the other mods. Enforce the idea of keeping discourse intelligent. And while you're at it, outlaw pure emoticon replies, enforce the use of grammar and raise this place to a hotbed for both breaking news and replies that actually add to a conversation. It's fucking ridiculous how much white noise this place generates in replies to topics. Threads like this are a blight on the entire industry.
you prob need to go outside and run a lap or two its not that serious

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
RSTEIN said:
What is sad is that bish has to come in and make some sort of CIA-type announcement in order to get the thread to die down.

Haha, what? He did? Only I was the one who assumed he's making a list of GAF terrorizers and evildoers that he'll keep a watchful eye on. Nowhere did he actually say that's what's going on.

Shurs

bishoptl said:
There are other elements in play here that you're not privy to.

21o291c.gif

AlphaSnake said:
Haha, what? He did? Only I was the one who assumed he's making a list of GAF terrorizers and evildoers that he'll keep a watchful eye on. Nowhere did he actually say that's what's going on.

It would be certainly lame to have a mod create a thread then ban anyone who posts in it. OTOH it's a brilliant idea to post this, then monitor any of the the official threads and hammer anyone who pops up with nonsense in either one.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shining Sunshine said:
I clearly remember the realistic damage responses in the original Mario Kart. Man, Nintendo was way ahead of the driving sim race.
So far ahead that they do race sims of THE FUTURE!

F-Zero_GX.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
elrechazao said:
It would be certainly lame to have a mod create a thread then ban anyone who posts in it. OTOH it's a brilliant idea to post this, then monitor any of the the official threads and hammer anyone who pops up with nonsense in either one.

You guys thought this thread was a trap? Jesus some of you are dumb. Yes, chances are Bish is doing exactly what you mentioned in the second sentence. That's what I was getting at.

Ploid 3.0

elrechazao said:

Just don't act like an idiot. I doubt anyone would be banned just because they posted in the thread.

phil_t

Banned
D'ultimate said:
So...Who won?

Although I'm sure that was meant sarcastically, it does pretty much sum up the attitude of people that leads to all this nonsense..

They fight it like a war, it's not about games and what strengths and weaknesses they individually have, it's all about having a winner and a loser.

I can't understand how even with personal opinion some people are so blinded by their belief of a game being superior they overlook all it's negatives and only concentrate on it's positives, yet at the same time ignoring all other games postives and just concentrating on it's negatives.. The flaw in logic and reasoning is staggering, but it's so prevalent, you feel like the odd one out when you treat them as just 'games' with good and bad points..

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
phil_t said:
Although I'm sure that was meant sarcastically, it does pretty much sum up the attitude of people that leads to all this nonsense..

They fight it like a war, it's not about games and what strengths and weaknesses they individually have, it's all about having a winner and a loser.

I can't understand how even with personal opinion some people are so blinded by their belief of a game being superior they overlook all it's negatives and only concentrate on it's positives, yet at the same time ignoring all other games postives and just concentrating on it's negatives.. The flaw in logic and reasoning is staggering, but it's so prevalent, you feel like the odd one out when you treat them as just 'games' with good and bad points..

For alot of people there can only be one.

1z1th1w.jpg

Top Bottom