• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

p3tran

Banned
nah, xanadu is one of those guys that started in forza disbelief and mockery and was turned into a (secret) forza fan.
I bet that if it wasnt for ms stupid policies, he would even (secretly) buy a xbone forza edition day 1 bundle.
:)
xanadu said:
isnt it obvious i am frustrated due to the series not living up to what i used to love so much about it
ehm.. looks like he still likes to troll a little bit, but he is definitely one more car lover turned into a forza lover :D

Xanadu

Banned
nah, xanadu is one of those guys that started in forza disbelief and mockery and was turned into a (secret) forza fan.
I bet that if it wasnt for ms stupid policies, he would even (secretly) buy a xbone forza edition day 1 bundle.
:)

ehm.. looks like he still likes to troll a little bit, but he is definitely one more car lover turned into a forza lover :D

quite the opposite actually, forza 1 is one of my favourite racing games ever, and as the series went on they lost touch of what made the series so great, continuously ignoring what the core wants and instead adding silly things like top gear bowling and autovista. i dont try to troll its just how you guys perceive me i guess but whatever, sticks n stones

Oh wow that really works? I need to try that, brb.
:p

edit: damn we need news, lol.

you think i actually thought the game was dead? what are you even saying

p3tran

Banned
quite the opposite actually, forza 1 is one of my favourite racing games ever, and as the series went on they lost touch of what made the series so great, continuously ignoring what the core wants and instead adding silly things like top gear bowling and autovista. i dont try to troll its just how you guys perceive me i guess but whatever, sticks n stones
serious reply? I'll bite
physics where improved after forza 1
graphics where improved after forza 1
car selection was improved after forza 1

for autovista I hold you responsible as well as the other guys that fuel the 'gt vs forza wars' on the internets, based on non-substantial things like photomode.
thats what put autovista high in the t10 list of "must-do" things.
still not a bad addition, especially if you are not accustomed to sport cars and the like.

now, for bowling and every single hit or miss addition, its not so bad because all other options where kept intact or improved. AND worse implementations of top gear licences we have seen outside of forza...

I still believe that forza1 was a terrific breakthrough game, but if you try popping it in your 360 and then put -not forza 4, but forza 2, you will definitely see and feel the progression.

saying that either one of the forza series is a step back, its just not fair enough to stand as an argument.

now this one, forza 5, it comes in 1080p with good textures, new physics, and the promise for some lazer scanned tracks.
call this a step back and then you cant do nothing to stop somebody from calling you a troll.

Xanadu

Banned
serious reply? I'll bite
physics where improved after forza 1
graphics where improved after forza 1
car selection was improved after forza 1

for autovista I hold you responsible as well as the other guys that fuel the 'gt vs forza wars' on the internets, based on non-substantial things like photomode.
thats what put autovista high in the t10 list of "must-do" things.
still not a bad addition, especially if you are not accustomed to sport cars and the like.

now, for bowling and every single hit or miss addition, its not so bad because all other options where kept intact or improved. AND worse implementations of top gear licences we have seen outside of forza...

I still believe that forza1 was a terrific breakthrough game, but if you try popping it in your 360 and then put -not forza 4, but forza 2, you will definitely see and feel the progression.

saying that either one of the forza series is a step back, its just not fair enough to stand as an argument.

now this one, forza 5, it comes in 1080p with good textures, new physics, and the promise for some lazer scanned tracks.
call this a step back and then you cant do nothing to stop somebody from calling you a troll.

obviously they improved those things but i meant they lost focus of what the series was in the first game. after 5 games they still cant have night racing? weather? pit stops? proper tirewear and fuel? qualifying? and thats not even mentioning other things we will never see like flag systems, pace cars.

basically when i first played forza 1 i saw it as a great starting point and hope they improved uppon it with every release and they didnt do that, forza 2 for example lost many features 1 had and it took them till 5 to get drivatar back, no night racing still though! i guess i am not their target audience anymore, pc sims have spoiled me, but i still buy their games because i always have done due to car selection and online with friends who dont game on pc. i dont dislike forza at all i just dislike what it has become in comparison to how amazingly good forza 1 was for its time

p3tran

Banned
obviously they improved those things but i meant they lost focus of what the series was in the first game. after 5 games they still cant have night racing? weather? pit stops? proper tirewear and fuel? qualifying? and thats not even mentioning other things we will never see like flag systems, pace cars.

basically when i first played forza 1 i saw it as a great starting point and hope they improved uppon it with every release and they didnt do that, forza 2 for example lost many features 1 had and it took them till 5 to get drivatar back, no night racing still though! i guess i am not their target audience anymore, pc sims have spoiled me, but i still buy their games because i always have done due to car selection and online with friends who dont game on pc. i dont dislike forza at all i just dislike what it has become in comparison to how amazingly good forza 1 was for its time

I am sure that if you try to thik a little bit better, you can answer most stuff on your own..
why no night? because 12-16 cars = 24-32 sources of dynamic lights and shadows that would fuck the shit out of a rock-solid 720p/60, the best in the system actually. weather? basically the same. I believe you do have seen what can happen when framerate is not 100% solid all of the time, right?
now about pitstops and the racing etiquette/atmosphere stuff in general, everybody who plays forza more or less wants -or at least will not be bothered by- those additions.

problem is, that microsoft with forza wants to reach out to the masses, and the masses have a lot of trouble keeping the car on the road during a turn, let alone understanding flags and tirewear and stuff. so for those that decide on features to implement/develop, these might look secondary.

we have discussed about a hundred times that as long as t10 keeps delivering the main dish well cooked, nobody can really accuse them for spoiling the goods with their dressings, even if the hardcore racers would like 100% of t10's time invested on hardcore stuff. (me included)

why no night? because 12-16 cars = 24-32 sources of dynamic lights and shadows that would fuck the shit out of a rock-solid 720p/60, the best in the system actually. weather? basically the same.
I don't believe that at all. The idea that Turn10 doesn't have the time and resources to polish those features for launch? That I can definitely believe.

I'm going to bet we see both of those features at some point this gen, and with a rock solid framerate and full HD no less.

p3tran

Banned
I don't believe that at all. The idea that Turn10 doesn't have the time and resources to polish those features for launch? That I can definitely believe.

I'm going to bet we see both of those features at some point this gen, and with a rock solid framerate and full HD no less.

for the xbox one? I agree with you (but it will take some crunching time)
I was referring to why no night in forza 360.

shandy706

for the xbox one? I agree with you.

I'm pretty sure Turn 10 has commented on both in the past.

They refuse to do it until they can do it to their level of "perfection". They want rain to actually feel like a wet road. They want snow to actually feel like snow. They want sand/dirt to actually feel like sand/dirt. All of this while not missing a beat anywhere else in the product.

I think we will see one or the other in Forza 6. My bet is on day/night cycles before weather.

We also have to remember...and a LOT of people are ignoring this. Forza 5 is being built from THE GROUND UP. This isn't the same engine with next-gen tweaks. It's an entirely different engine built for the Xbox One. They scrapped the old Forza engine. They can't just slap some extras on and update it some....they started over...so it will take time to build this one back up. I'm ok with that if we get tons of DLC and an amazing Forza 6. I don't doubt their ability.

Xanadu

Banned
I am sure that if you try to thik a little bit better, you can answer most stuff on your own..
why no night? because 12-16 cars = 24-32 sources of dynamic lights and shadows that would fuck the shit out of a rock-solid 720p/60, the best in the system actually. weather? basically the same. I believe you do have seen what can happen when framerate is not 100% solid all of the time, right?
now about pitstops and the racing etiquette/atmosphere stuff in general, everybody who plays forza more or less wants -or at least will not be bothered by- those additions.

problem is, that microsoft with forza wants to reach out to the masses, and the masses have a lot of trouble keeping the car on the road during a turn, let alone understanding flags and tirewear and stuff. so for those that decide on features to implement/develop, these might look secondary.

we have discussed about a hundred times that as long as t10 keeps delivering the main dish well cooked, nobody can really accuse them for spoiling the goods with their dressings, even if the hardcore racers would like 100% of t10's time invested on hardcore stuff. (me included)
how did forza 1 do night on the first xbox? and they could compromise some AA or reduce shadow resolution at night which wouldnt be noticeable but nah the real reason is they'd rather spend time putting top gear bs in the game then satisfy the core audience. forza is supposed to be a simulator, the masses can play horizon or pgr. forza gets stuck with assists you cant turn off. i really do believe forza gets less sim focused each iteration

for the xbox one? I agree with you (but it will take some crunching time)
Oh hell, I missed that pretty damn important bit, sorry :)

That said, GT5 does have night and weather to a limited extent, and I'm wondering whether those'll be optimized in GT6 which is on current gen tech. We'll see. Shift 2 also had some harrowing night races, but yeah, at 30fps.

Xanadu

Banned

They refuse to do it until they can do it to their level of "perfection". They want rain to actually feel like a wet road. They want snow to actually feel like snow. They want sand/dirt to actually feel like sand/dirt. All of this while not missing a beat anywhere else in the product.

I think we will see one or the other in Forza 6. My bet is on day/night cycles before weather.

We also have to remember...and a LOT of people are ignoring this. Forza 5 is being built from THE GROUND UP. This isn't the same engine with next-gen tweaks. It's an entirely different engine built for the Xbox One. They scrapped the old Forza engine. They can't just slap some extras on and update it some....they started over...so it will take time to build this one back up. I'm ok with that if we get tons of DLC and an amazing Forza 6. I don't doubt their ability.

it will never be perfect, whats the point in making driving sims until they are perfect then, no point in a forza game until that happens!

and a new engine but still no real dynamic lighting which is pretty sad but lets hope forza 6 fixes that :)

nib95

Banned

Please tell me you didn't actually fell for this BS PR answer. Perfect lol. As if the stuff they've already done is perfect. Nothing is perfect. You release and refine, which is exactly what Turn10 has been doing for several releases now.

Also I find it very hard to believe it's a completely new engine built from scratch. That'd be absurd and wasteful. And a new engine without dynamic lighting sounds even more unusual. So much for perfect...

Didn't they promise some new info a few weeks ago that never materialized? The silence is crazy even for Turn 10. They must be incredibly up against it, but that's no excuse since they have PR people whose job it i to funnel information.

shandy706

Please tell me you didn't actually fell for this BS PR answer. Perfect lol. As if the stuff they've already done is perfect. Nothing is perfect. You release and refine, which is exactly what Turn10 has been doing for several releases now.

Also I find it very hard to believe it's a completely new engine built from scratch. That'd be absurd and wasteful. And a new engine without dynamic lighting sounds even more unusual. So much for perfect...

Of course nothing is perfect. I've followed Turn 10 since day one though, have been a member of their community for forever. They don't tend to BS.

Do you still bat for GT Nib? I remember you would fight to death for it.

I'm guessing you're good 'ol Nibsy from back in the IGN days?

Granted, things could have changed.

Xanadu

Banned
Didn't they promise some new info a few weeks ago that never materialized? The silence is crazy even for Turn 10. They must be incredibly up against it, but that's no excuse since they have PR people whose job it i to funnel information.

that helios guy is completely useless

EagleEyes

Of course nothing is perfect. I've followed Turn 10 since day one though, have been a member of their community for forever. They don't tend to BS.

Yep, same old nibsy from IGN. That was a long time ago and I thought surely he was over his console warrior days but I guess a new generation brings them back out of retirement lol. His opinion on anything Xbox related needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

nib95

Banned

I bat for features and quality. GT5 got rightly lambasted for a lot of its woes (alpha effects, inconsistent visuals, poor loading and UI etc), but it also did a lot right, and most importantly they took on the feedback and improved nearly every one of the negatives, and continue to offer more of what people want, quality tracks, features, physics and vehicles.

You have to admit that Turn10 is falling behind in a big way in features that most racers are now offering, including night and day transitions, weather etc.

Fans don't realise, but because they aren't vocal enough, Turn10 continue to omit massive features.

Majanew

Banned
Man, the wait to see new stuff is brutal. How about another track already? Prague has been drove into the ground for 2 months now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
helios, throw us a bone.

can you at least tell us if we have to wait till gamescon?

Probably just waiting until Gamescom like almost every other game. Only a few more weeks...

Probably just waiting until Gamescom like almost every other game. Only a few more weeks...

Compared to other launch games we know jack shit about F5, aside from magical clouds and Prague. I still cant believe they haven't figured out how to trickle information effectively, it literally kills hype for a game.

It needs to be a steady trickle until they open the valves, not a drop here and there then a huge info dump before release. That works for GTA but that game is a phenomenon.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Compared to other launch games we know jack shit about F5, aside from magical clouds and Prague. I still cant believe they haven't figured out how to trickle information effectively, it literally kills hype for a game.

It needs to be a steady trickle until they open the valves, not a drop here and there then a huge info dump before release. That works for GTA but that game is a phenomenon.

especially a game like this where they literally could reveal a car a day from here till launch and still have surprises.

and give us a track reveal a week till launch.

Spa is nice if its true. I wonder what the chance of having Imola is.

No Porsche is kind of shitty. My biggest gripe is I feel now would have been a great time to move to weather and 24 hour cycles. Being able to preselect weather conditions and time of day for online races would have been sweet and eye candy.

I wonder if we will ever get Rally or RallyCross gameplay.

Xanadu

Banned
Spa is nice if its true. I wonder what the chance of having Imola is.

No Porsche is kind of shitty. My biggest gripe is I feel now would have been a great time to move to weather and 24 hour cycles. Being able to preselect weather conditions and time of day for online races would have been sweet and eye candy.

I wonder if we will ever get Rally or RallyCross gameplay.

i can see forza 6 being the forza 5 should have been, including night, weather, rally etc..if not then there SHOULD be outrage

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
We also have to remember...and a LOT of people are ignoring this. Forza 5 is being built from THE GROUND UP. This isn't the same engine with next-gen tweaks. It's an entirely different engine built for the Xbox One. They scrapped the old Forza engine.

Sorry but this is entirely bullshit just like 99% of developer claims of a "brand new engine".

It's quite easy to tell actually because the game as the same terrible shadow mapping FM4 has.

Pepto

Banned
Sorry but this is entirely bullshit just like 99% of developer claims of a "brand new engine".

It's quite easy to tell actually because the game as the same terrible shadow mapping FM4 has.

You think you can just port your graphics engine from one platform to another?

Codeblew

You think you can just port your graphics engine from one platform to another?

Yes. They are both DirectX. Both xboxes are multicore. They both compile to intel instruction set. They both have ESRAM. The architectures are not that much different. Sure they have to make changes and optimize for the new hardware but they don't even have to come close to a full rewrite to get the old engine running on xbox one.

Mascot

Bit harsh...

Helios, you need to understand people's frustration. I'd love to understand what your role as a Turn 10 community manager actually entails, what your job description actually is. If it involves being a conduit between the developers and the consumer, to monitor and manage forum speculation, to gauge the public zeitgeist and react accordingly, to correct misconceptions and misinformation, to promote the game using facts and figures, and to release tantalising nuggets of information as part of an overall marketing strategy... well, any idea when we might be seeing some of this? Or are you doing all of this on the official forums, and are merely a NeoGAF user like the rest of us here? If so, please at the very least post links to your efforts elsewhere so that we don't feel so abandoned. Or are your hands tied and you literally don't currently have anything to contribute?

If you don't mind me asking, how close is your relationship with Turn 10, and how does it work? How close are you to what's actually happening with the game's development, and how often do you converse with the team?

I don't want to sound 'harsh' like Xanadu but I totally agree with him that simply lurking in the shadows for weeks on end and only appearing with totally non game-related comments whenever your name is mentioned is not very helpful. You must realise that people here are desperate for ANY new information you can throw our way. Remember Saladine's gif of Homer quietly receding into the bush? It was posted in jest but has sadly morphed into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

If Turn 10 do have a marketing strategy for FM5 then it seems to be completely backfiring if recent comments on this board are any form of indication. Surely it's part of your role to do something about this?

Seanspeed

Banned
I bat for features and quality. GT5 got rightly lambasted for a lot of its woes (alpha effects, inconsistent visuals, poor loading and UI etc), but it also did a lot right, and most importantly they took on the feedback and improved nearly every one of the negatives, and continue to offer more of what people want, quality tracks, features, physics and vehicles.

You have to admit that Turn10 is falling behind in a big way in features that most racers are now offering, including night and day transitions, weather etc.

Fans don't realise, but because they aren't vocal enough, Turn10 continue to omit massive features.
Anybody who has spent any sort of time with the Forza community would know we are plenty vocal.

And Forza is in the same boat. Omits some things, does other things right. Its still the most enjoyable racing franchise I've ever played, flaws and all. And I'm not some casual racer, either.

eso76

And here's why we haven't seen anything new !

TURN 10 HIRING GAME CAPTURE ARTIST

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-US/Capture_Artist_August_2013

So, GAFFERS with deep knowledge of photography, cinematography, 3d cameras and whatnot, apply already and start taking those pics and editing dem trailers !

I should apply, i have taken a few decent pics in fm3 and 4 ! :p
And i shoot and edit video for a living. I also love Forza. Yep, i should totally get the job. Seriously, there's tons of guys who did an awesome job throwing 'trailers' together with FM4 recording function, which i always wanted to do but never got around doing.
Good luck and don't forget to leak the pics !

p3tran

Banned
And Forza is in the same boat. Omits some things, does other things right. Its still the most enjoyable racing franchise I've ever played, flaws and all. And I'm not some casual racer, either.
Yeap, basically thats it right there.

I only care to know if i can fucking disconnect the kinect from the console and still can play forza.
Thats basically all I need to know for getting the stupid console to play forza day 1 (or ever).

And about helios, give him a break. You see that even dan on official promotions is repeating the same things over and over. What more could helios say right now?
I am sure microsoft has planned promotional events for forza further down the line.
Helios would be the best chap if he gave us a timeline of these planned events. Like "guys, next new forza info at september 9th" for example.

saladine1

I don't know why people keep claiming that Forza fans aren't vocal. We've lost our voices as a result of being vocal. We've pleaded and begged for years. Where does this "not vocal enough" come from, really?

Helios, you need to understand people's frustration. I'd love to understand what your role as a Turn 10 community manager actually entails, what your job description actually is. If it involves being a conduit between the developers and the consumer, to monitor and manage forum speculation, to gauge the public zeitgeist and react accordingly, to correct misconceptions and misinformation, to promote the game using facts and figures, and to release tantalising nuggets of information as part of an overall marketing strategy... well, any idea when we might be seeing some of this? Or are you doing all of this on the official forums, and are merely a NeoGAF user like the rest of us here? If so, please at the very least post links to your efforts elsewhere so that we don't feel so abandoned. Or are your hands tied and you literally don't currently have anything to contribute?

If you don't mind me asking, how close is your relationship with Turn 10, and how does it work? How close are you to what's actually happening with the game's development, and how often do you converse with the team?

I don't want to sound 'harsh' like Xanadu but I totally agree with him that simply lurking in the shadows for weeks on end and only appearing with totally non game-related comments whenever your name is mentioned is not very helpful. You must realise that people here are desperate for ANY new information you can throw our way. Remember Saladine's gif of Homer quietly receding into the bush? It was posted in jest but has sadly morphed into a self-fulfilling prophesy.

If Turn 10 do have a marketing strategy for FM5 then it seems to be completely backfiring if recent comments on this board are any form of indication. Surely it's part of your role to do something about this?

It's pretty obvious that even though Helios is the CM, he still has to have permission from Turn 10 to reveal information or even join in on the discussion.
It seems that he is being held back by the team. I don't doubt that he is itching to join in and throw the rabid fan a bone, but he can't. So, it's Turn 10 who are to blame for this ridiculous marketing stratgey of theirs.
You would think that in the light of all that has happened they would try and be more aggressive with their thinking but alas, Turn 10 will always be Turn 10..

Mascot

And about helios, give him a break. You see that even dan on official promotions is repeating the same things over and over. What more could helios say right now?
I am sure microsoft has planned promotional events for forza further down the line.
Helios would be the best chap if he gave us a timeline of these planned events. Like "guys, next new forza info at september 9th" for example.

I'm not trying to give him a hard time, I'm trying to understand what his role entails and what his relationship is with us and with Turn 10. That way I'll know if I am expecting too much from him.

"Community manager" is a very ambiguous title open to all sorts of interpretations and expectations.

That's all! :)

It's pretty obvious that even though Helios is the CM, he still has to have permission from Turn 10 to reveal information or even join in on the discussion.
It seems that he is being held back by the team. I don't doubt that he is itching to join in and throw the rabid fan a bone, but he can't. So, it's Turn 10 who are to blame for this ridiculous marketing stratgey of theirs.
You would think that in the light of all that has happened they would try and be more aggressive with their thinking but alas, Turn 10 will always be Turn 10..

I don't want to assume any of this mate, it's not fair on Helios - hence me seeking clarification direct from the source.

p3tran

Banned
I'm not trying to give him a hard time, I'm trying to understand what his role entails and what his relationship is with us and with Turn 10. That way I'll know if I am expecting too much from him.

"Community manager" is a very ambiguous title open to all sorts of interpretations and expectations.

That's all! :)
I was refering to xanadu's one-liner about helios, not what you wrote. :)
Also, I think helios is somewhere in europe and not inside t10 headquarters. If this is the case, i guess there are only so many things he can know/have direct access to. As I said, a timeline of future events and information would be the best service to forza community right now. That, or a full media blowout of course :)

HeliosT10

Hey all,

I completely understand how you're all very eager to see/hear some new info about the game, and as soon as I'm able to give the community a heads-up as to when that might be GAF will be one of my very first points of call.

Needless to say we're all working very hard here at Turn 10 to make sure that the next viewing of Forza Motorsport 5 impresses all of you in the community who've been following its development, and I personally can't wait for us to show you more of what we've been working on.

P3tran - Yes that's correct, I'm based primarily at Microsoft's UK HQ in Reading whilst the rest of the Turn 10 team are based out of Redmond in the US. Though what with modern technology and my habit of staying up late this doesn't really hamper my ability to communicate on a daily and regular basis with the rest of the team :)

saladine1

Hey all,

I completely understand how you're all very eager to see/hear some new info about the game, and as soon as I'm able to give the community a heads-up as to when that might be GAF will be one of my very first points of call.

Needless to say we're all working very hard here at Turn 10 to make sure that the next viewing of Forza Motorsport 5 impresses all of you in the community who've been following its development, and I personally can't wait for us to show you more of what we've been working on.

P3tran - Yes that's correct, I'm based primarily at Microsoft's UK HQ in Reading whilst the rest of the Turn 10 team are based out of Redmond in the US. Though what with modern technology and my habit of staying up late this doesn't really hamper my ability to communicate on a daily and regular basis with the rest of the team :)

Hope you have enjoyed your honeymoon mate, because it's all down hill from here...J/K....or am I..?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This isn't a normal release of a game, it is closely tied to the launch of a new console, and MS are pushing Forza hard. So T10 probably need to fit along with MS' plans and there isn't as much leeway for Helios to work within.

HeliosT10

Hope you have enjoyed your honeymoon mate, because it's all down hill from here...J/K....or am I..?

You mean the honeymoon I had in real life, or the honeymoon period I had with the Forza community :) hehe

In all seriousness though, it was amazing thanks. Best two weeks of my life!

saladine1

You mean the honeymoon I had in real life, or the honeymoon period I had with the Forza community :) hehe

In all seriousness though, it was amazing thanks. Best two weeks of my life!

Nice, glad you had fun.

I remember my honeymoon like it was yesterday.

It started out on a majestic summer's night, the moon was at it's brightest. We had the pleasure of having the Baron of Santa Croce serenade us aboard our gondola as we made our way through the still waters of the Grand Canals of Venice......

No.

Top Bottom