• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

DesertFox

Was this made into a GIF yet? It's massive, sorry!

iKUiGYSp6oWY3.gif

What's crazy is that we've literally only properly seen one tiny area of the map, at one time of day.
65402-dear-god-its-beautiful-mugatu-Zmxe.gif

jaypah

This game looks dope as hell! Got a real super-arcade look to it. Perfect compliment to the photorealistic approach on DC. Man, so many racing games this year. After the semi racing drought since launch I'm looking forward to it.

RetroStu

Banned
I expect both FH2 and Driveclub will look better than Project Cars on consoles when all are released...the extra 30fps of Project cars will hold back those visuals...

Honestly i was watching the Project Cars trailer in the other thread yesterday and people were losing their shit over it but i honestly think this and especially Drive Club look miles better. In fact those Drive Club demonstrations yesterday on various streams looked so good that it didn't even look like a videogame, it looked more like movie cgi or something.

Project Cars still looks like a videogame imo (if that makes sense) and Horizon has better trackside detail imo.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The graphics are amazing, it still has a very distinctive "gamey" look to it's visuals though.

Maybe it's because the cars look a little floaty in these gifs. The cars seem almost pivoting on a central axis with the gameworld moving all around them instead of the other way around.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other locales. The impressions seem to be godly all around.

Yea, I've been thinking something similar. It almost looks Outrun-esque due to the use of color. I think it looks great, but I think it's part of the reason so many people are claiming that it's graphically not in the same zip-code as Driveclub, because to many people the quality of graphics is solely determined by how real it looks.

I agree, but you know what? It's their loss. This is what my summer dreams are made of.

And while it's true that the true open-world nature of the game might be a reason for concern in theory, I have faith in Playground. Unlike the free-roaming mode races, I expect a good portion of events to have tracks with well defined boundaries, although that's just one of several ways in which that potential problem could be dealt with..

sense of speed was GREAT. tearing through vineyards at what felt like ludicrous speed was a sight and sensation to behold. very smooth looking, very powerful feeling. dust, leaves, and other bits of the destructible environment fly up in your face and just look awesome. HUGE improvement over the original horizon, and that game was no slouch.

rain effects certainly did affect handling. the demo had a very abrupt instance of rain occur about halfway through your race, however. that is to say, i did not get to see storm clouds form or anything of that sort. even still, things definitely felt looser once it started to rain and the road got wetter and wetter - you started to feel your handling get away from you to varying degrees. and the rain effects when in cockpit view were beautiful looking, as if that needs to be said. they streak and gather and just look perfect :)

oh, and the lamborghini huracan is a very nice looking and sounding car.

HOLY....

W17AB9z.gif

Sounds amazing. Fantastic news about the streaking and the wet roads affecting handling.

Oh my.

commedieu

Banned
looks fucking awesome.

Fun with cars that look good? What else do you need? Well.. Boobs.. but.

I just want a true rally car to leave that lambo in the dust on the dirt and mud. Otherwise its flattening out the characteristics of what makes different cars and car types special. Whether its a sim or arcade doesn't matter - you still want a varied experience with different cars of different classes. As long as that's the case its all good.

Makes sense. Maybe the traaction of the lambo will be 15% while the rally car would have 90% off-road? Ya never know.

ElyrionX

Was this made into a GIF yet? It's massive, sorry!

iKUiGYSp6oWY3.gif

What's crazy is that we've literally only properly seen one tiny area of the map, at one time of day.

That handling looks kind of floaty. Has it been confirmed that this game will handle like the original Forza Horizon?

Everything about this game looks amazing (the decision to go Southern Europe is inspired) except the off-road stuff. I get that it could be pretty fun outside of races, but in them...ehh. The beauty of supercars, whether you're playing a sim or Burnout, is taking on corners. Introducing off-road basically makes many of them no longer viable if you have any interest in actually winning the race, so that's a disappointment for me.

Gestault

Queued up in line to play. Anyone have any questions?

Super appreciated:

If you get a chance to try with and without "simulation" handling, I'm curious how easy it is to lose grip and spin out off-road. Also, how do the impulse triggers feel with the road surface?

I see a Kinect unit there, is there any Kinect functionality?

how many track are available?

a small graphic comparison with DC (in case you had the chance to play it) would be much appreciated

Queued up in line to play. Anyone have any questions?

Can you ask about other weather types? Specifically snow and if they have any plans to implement it?

Also, if possible, can you ask about fog and can we expect heavy rainstorms that begin to affect visibility.

One last question (nearly forgot), can you ask about mud. Specifically if it's in and if it'll be anything like the mud in Sega Rally Revo.

Much appreciated.

Played with the hurrcan

e3 demo wouldn't allow for a change in handling unfortunately, so it was automatic with assists on (I found no way to turn them off in the e3 build)

The impulse triggers seemed to add another dimension when going off-road, which was nice. The real challenge came when it started raining, however. The entire handling mechanic became MUCH more slippery.

The rain affects all surface types in the game. Tarmac, sand, mud, gravel. They tell me they are only focusing on rain, for now, as they are modeling the specifics of the environment they've set the game in very closely. They are looking into atmospherics, though there are already some elements of the weather change which will immediately affect visibility (ie, cockpit view).

Also, barn finds are making a return.

Thanks so much for the info.

Not sure how I feel about barns returning. I didn't mind them too much in the first game, but I was hoping they'd change it up a little this time round.

Fantastic to hear that rain is more than just a visual effect, was a little worried that it might after the initial footage, but that's been cleared up now. Disappointed they are only focusing on rain for now, I need my snow and black ice.

rav

Any word on micro-transations?
I didn't play the first Horizon, but since 5 I'm very skeptical of picking up another Forza game. (Also I hate drivatars, which this appears to have.)

flashmouth

Neo Member
I like the barn finds a lot in the first one, glad they are returning.
There was some info about them in the IGNF interview, we are gonna get barn finds, that are Forza premieres, which I think is really cool. So cars you have never driven before in any Forza game, not just the first Horizon, will be hidden in the map.
And drivatars of other people may reveal locations of barn finds if that person already found it.

Any word on micro-transations?
I didn't play the first Horizon, but since 5 I'm very skeptical of picking up another Forza game. (Also I hate drivatars, which this appears to have.)

The first had it, very likely the trend will continue.

The difference between Polyphony and....EVERYONE else...

Though I think the difference is intended in Forza Horizon

I like the colors more in FH1. Someone said they would describe it as autumn and I really agree with that this looks just a bit too arcadey for my tastes. The sense of speed looks awesome though.

Metfanant

I like the colors more in FH1. Someone said they would describe it as autumn and I really agree with that this looks just a bit too arcadey for my tastes. The sense of speed looks awesome though.

You wait though...you will see it this fall all over the interwebs...

"Forza Horizon 2 KILLS Driveclub!..look at the 'washed out' colors on the PS4!"

People are naturally drawn to sharp, bright, over saturated images...same reason people leave their TV's on torch mode...and same reason people thought the Xbone's sharpening filter was awesome

Played with the hurrcan

e3 demo wouldn't allow for a change in handling unfortunately, so it was automatic with assists on (I found no way to turn them off in the e3 build)

The impulse triggers seemed to add another dimension when going off-road, which was nice. The real challenge came when it started raining, however. The entire handling mechanic became MUCH more slippery.

The rain affects all surface types in the game. Tarmac, sand, mud, gravel. They tell me they are only focusing on rain, for now, as they are modeling the specifics of the environment they've set the game in very closely. They are looking into atmospherics, though there are already some elements of the weather change which will immediately affect visibility (ie, cockpit view).

Also, barn finds are making a return.

Barns are returning huh. Interesting is it the same basic idea as in FH1?

RyudBoy

Unless I'm wrong here, you can't see your own car reflect onto another car. For example, when you're driving right next to one, or driving right behind. The only time you can see them is on the hood view. Disappointing, but maybe I'm just blind/wrong?

Top Bottom