• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

stew

got to play this earlier today. it looks and feels AMAZING! i loved my time with it. got to try out projectcars on ps4 and thought that looked worse than this. its a DEFINITE buy for me.
You're very lucky. I hope a demo will come out before the game release, it's hard to wait.

strata8

Was this made into a GIF yet? It's massive, sorry!

iKUiGYSp6oWY3.gif

What's crazy is that we've literally only properly seen one tiny area of the map, at one time of day.

Metfanant

got to play this earlier today. it looks and feels AMAZING! i loved my time with it. got to try out projectcars on ps4 and thought that looked worse than this. its a DEFINITE buy for me.

I expect both FH2 and Driveclub will look better than Project Cars on consoles when all are released...the extra 30fps of Project cars will hold back those visuals...

Klocker

Here is what I want from an open world game like this... (if not already available)

Instead of just having speed zones, and rivals in the dedicated race areas etc... I want the opportunity to map out custom sections of the world, call it a track and then race on it and set best times and allow my friends to dl the custom point to points and try to beat me and challenge it back.

Also an ability to have traffic on or off in these custom point to point races

Or something similar ... could be fleshed out better just a quick thought...

indosmoke

Here is what I want from an open world game like this... (if not already available)

Instead of just having speed zones, and rivals in the dedicated race areas etc... I want the opportunity to map out custom sections of the world, call it a track and then race on it and set best times and allow my friends to dl the custom point to points and try to beat me and challenge it back.

Didn't The first Horizon have something similar? I thought so but I'm not sure now...

c0de

I wonder how dynamic the weather is - in what we saw from E3 gameplay the rain is always starting at the same time/place. This said, the game really looks beautiful to me!

ekim

Also an ability to have traffic on or off in these custom point to point races

Or something similar ... could be fleshed out better just a quick thought...

You are lucky:
“One of the few things they could do was plot a group GPS route to the other side of the world and they would start racing each other to that point. Rather than sticking to the road they would try to drive it as the crow flies, barrelling across fields and through the forest.

“I lost count of the number of people who came running to my desk over the next few days saying, ‘You’ve gotta include this in the game.’ And that’s how the cross country event was born.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Certinty

Regarding traffic it will probably be the same thing as the first, festival races having none and the tracks more likely to be 'closed off', while street races will have traffic and be more open. That's how it should be at least.

You lucky...

How was the sense of speed? Did the rain affect handling? How were the gain sprays? Was there any streaking of raindrops when going high speeds?

I need details man.

eso76

Just noticed that CPU cars don't receive any shadow from the environment.

:p

Also, we know that weather is scripted in the demo, but what about TOD ?
I think i saw slightly different lighting conditions according to how long it takes the player to complete the race, so maybe if you just waste time fucking around in the demo it will eventually get dark ?

Feindflug

This sounds awesome, can't wait for this game.

BTW the gifs in this thread look so beautiful. :O

I'm sorry but this hopefully has time to cook some more in the oven. Not trying to start a war but we have seen much better already.

Have to say I agree with this. The open world really does not seem that open there are barriers everywhere except on fields and small separate roads. Perhaps other maps are better but this did nothing for me especially compared to the UBI game I cant for some reason remember the name of. Regarding PQ Driveclub and project cars seem to both have an edge also but if they show more open maps that is understandable.

Ploid 3.0

This reminds me of the movie Speed Racer where they go off into the open desert to race. Thinking about the races in that movie, the whole freedom to go off the tracks kinda reminds me of Speed Racer's go crazy vibe too.

Cutting those corners in a vid I saw (little motivation to take corners, seem to go just as fast on dirt) seem jarring but I'm sure that would get out of the player's system fast. Interesting looking game.

zoobzone

So hard to choose between this and DriveClub.

I seem to like the track offerings here more than DC, but DC looks better.

decisions, decisions, decision...

This is going to sound a little crazy but the visuals give me a super next gen cruisin usa vibe. I remember FH1 seeming more realistic but the aesthetic here is more arcadey. Does that make sense to anyone?

They are such nice complements to each other. Definitely get both

How's the IQ on this one, have PG gone crazy again with msaa or are we looking at just an FXAA type solution this time around?

This is going to sound a little crazy but the visuals give me a super next gen cruisin usa vibe. I remember FH1 seeming more realistic but the aesthetic here is more arcadey. Does that make sense to anyone?

I'm getting that impression too. The first shots looked quite realistic and moody but the gameplay is bright and clean.

Driveclub will have the free PS+ edition, get that for starters and buy Horizon 2. Also, maybe Horizon 2 will have a demo, the first game did.

Having played and adored Horizon, I could never skip on the sequel, but Driveclub looks great as well, and I'm not only talking about the visuals. They really turned that game around, it appeared so sterile and boring before, but the sense of speed seems quite nice now, and environments are a joy to look at. Providing handling and AI are good enough (although I fully expect Horizon 2 to beat it in those areas, especially in handling), I will most likely get it once I buy a PS4.

BeeDog

Such a good time to be a racing game fan. FH2 for fun, open-world shenanigans and content, DC for stupendous graphics and circuit racing, and finally PC for track-based simulation racing.

Hnnnnggggg

derFeef

FH1 had that "yellowish" look - in this everything is colorful and pops right at you, very saturated. I like it!

rich7sena

Banned
Anyone else finding the random traffic completely out of place. Hopefully they allow for it to be completely turned off (seems like its on a "low" setting in the vids).

Synth

Yea, I've been thinking something similar. It almost looks Outrun-esque due to the use of color. I think it looks great, but I think it's part of the reason so many people are claiming that it's graphically not in the same zip-code as Driveclub, because to many people the quality of graphics is solely determined by how real it looks.

Also, put me in the group with people who are worried about the off-road driving. It's nice that they've removed all the restrictions, but I hope they don't allow that to define the game, else I'm pretty sure I'll be looking back at FH1 and considering it to be the better racer. And to anyone who feels like replying with "then just don't do it, it's optional"... if races have long areas of track that can be negated simply by driving straight through a field, then it's about as optional as shifting into your top gear... i.e. not at all if you actually plan on winning.

shandy706

Anyone else finding the random traffic completely out of place. Hopefully they allow for it to be completely turned off (seems like its on a "low" setting in the vids).

You're racing on public roads.

No traffic would make zero sense and absolutely packing it like it is "rush hour" would make racing impossible.

Just noticed that CPU cars don't receive any shadow from the environment.

:p

Actually they do :p

You can even see it in the crappy res videos. They visibly get darker...I suppose it's not easy to spot. I noticed it though.

Outside Shadow
xtvnih.jpg

Inside Shadow
uwuwmg.jpg

EBE

You lucky...

How was the sense of speed? Did the rain affect handling? How were the gain sprays? Was there any streaking of raindrops when going high speeds?

I need details man.

sense of speed was GREAT. tearing through vineyards at what felt like ludicrous speed was a sight and sensation to behold. very smooth looking, very powerful feeling. dust, leaves, and other bits of the destructible environment fly up in your face and just look awesome. HUGE improvement over the original horizon, and that game was no slouch.

rain effects certainly did affect handling. the demo had a very abrupt instance of rain occur about halfway through your race, however. that is to say, i did not get to see storm clouds form or anything of that sort. even still, things definitely felt looser once it started to rain and the road got wetter and wetter - you started to feel your handling get away from you to varying degrees. and the rain effects when in cockpit view were beautiful looking, as if that needs to be said. they streak and gather and just look perfect :)

oh, and the lamborghini huracan is a very nice looking and sounding car.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I have a ton of issues with the Forza engine, but Playground really overhauled it with all these effects and the look of the game is fantastic. Really awesome job.

Everything about this game looks great. But one thing keeps bothering me.

It's only a small gripe. But seeing low sports cars driving through a field at full speed kind of irks me. I know it's an arcade-ish racer. But they should at least slow the cars down a little more for cutting through feilds.

rich7sena

Banned
You're racing on public roads.

No traffic would make zero sense and absolutely packing it like it is "rush hour" would be impossible

We've already seen super-cars racing off-road so...

Also, the race events seem like they're sanctioned by whatever carnival is going on in this world. It just seems like there's random cars sparsely placed throughout the track. It doesn't add any realism at all.

If they must have traffic in this game to differentiate it from Motorsport, leave it to the open world sections.

I love the look of this game. It's like a cross between Forza, TDU and Outrun. Nice use of vibrant colours and the setting is superb!

I agree to an extent about the off road driving. I love it's inclusion but there should still be a noticeable difference in the car physics when off road. Like maybe the car should have only ~70% performance and crappy handling, unless the car is a genuine off road vehicle.

Belting through a field at 150 MPH in a Lambo does seem a bit odd.

What's the concept behind clubs in this game? When they mentioned a 1000 people club at the conference I pictured clubs more like Friends on Facebook you can follow rather than the small groups as a team on DC.

Top Bottom