• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

tcrunch

Sooo apparently Yasuhiro Kitao said, that the graphics will improve from the latest shown build.
Didn't find the news anywhere, so thought this might be the right place.

Edit:
forget what i said, only found it on a banned site.

The graphics thing is on his twitter too but the google translate is too bizarre to confirm exactly what he is saying

https://twitter.com/YasuhiroKitao/status/562658390548037632

@youkan1105
Gras and view of the world and the system that I saw Brad bone of video was safe and very easy-to-understand likely in is cheers for good work (^_^) ign. That video will be ? Care Would you becomes even better image quality in the product version you have to hear in 're using a little old build after
@YasuhiroKitao
Thank you for taking a look ! Graphic goes up still . Enjoy in because it has become at least the latest hard in the beauty that can not be achieved only .

@youkan1105
Is beauty that can not be only only the latest hard ! ╭ (· ㅂ ·) و ̑̑ we are waiting to put a jerk yell

Indeed. Also he is a PR guy not a dev.

Sooo apparently Yasuhiro Kitao said, that the graphics will improve from the latest shown build.
Didn't find the news anywhere, so thought this might be the right place.

Edit:
forget what i said, only found it on a banned site.

Oh wait, the source is legit though.

Translated it's something like:

@YasuhiroKitao [...]Care Would you becomes even better image quality in the product version you have to hear in're using a little old build after

@youkan1105 Thank you for taking a look! Graphic goes up still.[...]

I dearly hope for better image quality and a steady framerate.

Edit: Fuggin beaten!

Translation of kitaon's tweet based on my moderate Japanese skills:

Thanks for watching. The graphics will continue to improve. At the very least, the beauty will be achievable only on the latest hardware, so look forward to it.

EDIT: English is harder than Japanese.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously it's SO hard to not watch stuff -.-

If the hunter's mark is scarce and pricey like in ds1 then theres no problem. But if its as obtainable they were in ds2 then there will be virtually no penalty for death.

takriel

Seriously it's SO hard to not watch stuff -.-

They are actually doing a good job of not spoiling too much of the beginning. I'd say go for it if you want to know about basic mechanics and such that are important for the beginning of the game.

I really enjoy that aspect, it was great when the Souls community was relatively small at the release of Dark Souls. I fear this time around there's going to be a lot of noise in the Spoiler/Lore thread.

Especially seeing as now Youtubers like Vaati have encouraged the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' aspect of storytelling. Like, try and romanticise the placement of that bucket on the table so it tells a story of a king who fell to his subject's revolt. No, it's just a bucket and there is a right answer to 99% of the lore.

I do appreciate the smaller community approach to discovery. I found the reddit community to be surprisingly decent for the group discovery experience of DS2. Maybe it would be a good idea to find a smaller forum, or create a smaller thread for discussion.

For me, reading the masses of messages and interacting with summons is another part of the fun.

I think Vaati has no choice but to try too hard on his DS2 videos. It's how he makes his living.

I agree with you that most of the time there is a "right answer" in lore and I am hoping for a clearer focus and stronger writing in BB than DS2.

Aces&Eights

One of the things I'm really excited for are the NPCs. I just loved them in the Souls games. Always on guard, not sure if they are friendly or foe. I hope we meet relatives of Solaris or the onion head family

Here's all the things from the Dev Walkthrough that sounded interesting.

• Blood transfusion
    cutscene is crucial to the story
  • The
    blood transfusion
    clouded the player's memory to where they no longer remember their purpose in coming to Yharnam
  • The Hunter's Dream/Dream Refuge is the dream world of the Hunters
    (duh).
  • The Plain Doll in the refuge is a key character (joking possibly?)
  • Can equip two weapons per hand to swap between
  • Blood echoes (Bloodbornes take on souls) can either be in the spot you died or picked up by a nearby enemy/enemy that killed you. Enemies with your blood echoes have glowing eyes.
  • Changing form of trick weapon in a combo properly can knock away enemy shields
  • Sneak charged attacks or causing enemies to stumble set them up for a Visceral Attack
  • Bell toll signals for town residents to hunt
  • The Beast Pyre area in Central Yharnam was particularly difficult for players in the Alpha and at events
  • Gunshots can knock away smaller enemies like dogs
  • The hidden path
    behind the coffins across the main street
    in Central Yharnam was not present in the Alpha
  • The Bold Hunter Mark item given by the veteran hunter allows players to reawaken at a lamp after death without losing blood echoes
  • The caged dogs can sometimes break free and attack
  • Ghermon at the refuge will provide story hints often

sn00zer

Dunno if its been discussed, but is anyone worried about the actual amount of content in Bloodborne? Their heavy marketing of the chalice dungeons has me worried. The best part of Souls is the well crafted environments built around the encounters.

Dunno if its been discussed, but is anyone worried about the actual amount of content in Bloodborne? Their heavy marketing of the chalice dungeons has me worried. The best part of Souls is the well crafted environments built around the encounters.

They've said that it's longer than Demon's Souls.

Anyone else avoid pretty much all media from this game to the point that they dont know how good or bad the graphics are? My media blackout has been really successful so far, can't wait til its on my TV where I can finally get a sense of the game world.

I have no worries. Development on Bloodborne began less than six months after they started working on Dark Souls 2. That's plenty of time. Regardless, I haven't seen what I would consider heavy marketing of the chalice dungeons. Sure, they've mentioned them and made a video featuring them, but I haven't felt like they have made chalice dungeons the emphasis at all. Did IGN even mention chalice dungeons last week?

2AdEPT

just going from memory, but I believe I heard someone from sony confirm it would be of similar size to ds1 and larger than Demon's. Not sure if that includes DLC.

Shengar

Well, the Dark Souls one for me happened on Reddit and for once I felt like that was the better forum to have it on. Every discovery in the game had it's isolated thread and more and more secrets and ideas were popping up daily. However, back then people backed up their theories with pure fact from the game and item descriptions. This was also the time that ENB rose to popularity. Sadly, when Dark Souls was released on PC and the game went from niche to mainstream, the idea somehow got out that it was 'make up your own story' which was far from the truth. This behaviour has since been encouraged by the community (Especially by Vaati) which has sort of ruined the secret finding as it's hard to decipher where the truth begins and people's romantic bullshit ends..
The reason why I prefer ENB's lore video. It just him talking the about the possible lore of the game backed up with the fact taken straight from the game. He separated between speculation and fact by saying it clearly in his video. No romanticized and dramatization, just lore talk with scholarly passion.

Though there isn't yet that able to top GameFAQ's Demon's Souls Lore Guide. That my bias of course since I prefer written guide to video one.

Grady

Are we talking about the build ign is using? If so, IGN already confirmed several times they are using an old build to preview the game and it does not represent the final product.

The graphics thing is on his twitter too but the google translate is too bizarre to confirm exactly what he is saying

@youkan1105
Gras and view of the world and the system that I saw Brad bone of video was safe and very easy-to-understand likely in is cheers for good work (^_^) ign. That video will be ? Care Would you becomes even better image quality in the product version you have to hear in 're using a little old build after
@YasuhiroKitao
Thank you for taking a look ! Graphic goes up still . Enjoy in because it has become at least the latest hard in the beauty that can not be achieved only .
@youkan1105
Is beauty that can not be only only the latest hard ! ╭ (· ㅂ ·) و ̑̑ we are waiting to put a jerk yell

Indeed. Also he is a PR guy not a dev.

Lol, Brad bone.

The reason why I prefer ENB's lore video. It just him talking the about the possible lore of the game backed up with the fact taken straight from the game. He separated between speculation and fact by saying it clearly in his video. No romanticized and dramatization, just lore talk with scholarly passion.

Though there isn't yet that able to top GameFAQ's Demon's Souls Lore Guide. That my bias of course since I prefer written guide to video one.

Yeah.. Vaati's a cool guy, but his videos are presented almost religiously, which isn't so much my style. Too somber and emotional for me.

DavidDesu

Ok so Bloodborne has finally tempted me to try Demon's Souls today. Been avoiding these games for years now, I figured they'd be too frustrating for me, and also what little I'd seen just looked a bit bleak and miserable to me, I wondered if I'd even enjoy it at all. (It was free with PS+ ages ago, so finally got round to downloading it).

Played 2-3 hours struggling through the first gate/world thing and hey, I can see myself picking it up and kind of enjoying it. It's brutal, and I am still put off by how cryptic much of it is which just feels like an extra burden for me. For example I watched a quick tip video about obtaining a Thief Ring and the game seems to expect you to sort of glitch into an area to obtain it by rolling over a wall (maybe you get it later through normal play, I dunno yet). That kind of thing does put me off as I know I'll never have the time for discovering intricacies like that. I am looking forward to just getting better at the core gameplay though and hope I can advance fairly well.

Anyway.. just here to ask, after that introduction, does Bloodborne seem like a good bet for me? I LOVE the atmosphere from what I've seen, and it at least has some colour palette going on even if it is quite dark. From what I've played of Demon's Souls I'm not used to using the shield yet and really like what I see of Bloodborne using a different mechanic with the Blunderbuss and promoting sort of faster paced play. Think I'll get it now, something I thought I'd never say. I hope it's more approachable though for people like me, but with the depth of discovery there for the diehards who love that stuff.

Ok so Bloodborne has finally tempted me to try Demon's Souls today. Been avoiding these games for years now, I figured they'd be too frustrating for me, and also what little I'd seen just looked a bit bleak and miserable to me, I wondered if I'd even enjoy it at all. (It was free with PS+ ages ago, so finally got round to downloading it).

Played 2-3 hours struggling through the first gate/world thing and hey, I can see myself picking it up and kind of enjoying it. It's brutal, and I am still put off by how cryptic much of it is which just feels like an extra burden for me. For example I watched a quick tip video about obtaining a Thief Ring and the game seems to expect you to sort of glitch into an area to obtain it by rolling over a wall (maybe you get it later through normal play, I dunno yet). That kind of thing does put me off as I know I'll never have the time for discovering intricacies like that. I am looking forward to just getting better at the core gameplay though and hope I can advance fairly well.

Anyway.. just here to ask, after that introduction, does Bloodborne seem like a good bet for me? I LOVE the atmosphere from what I've seen, and it at least has some colour palette going on even if it is quite dark. From what I've played of Demon's Souls I'm not used to using the shield yet and really like what I see of Bloodborne using a different mechanic with the Blunderbuss and promoting sort of faster paced play. Think I'll get it now, something I thought I'd never say. I hope it's more approachable though for people like me, but with the depth of discovery there for the diehards who love that stuff.

You don't glitch over the wall, you just walk up to the wall and your character has an animation that makes him or her jump over it. It's a bit opaque, but not impossible to figure out. Rolling works too.

I'd recommend reading about the controls and the mechanics in Demon's just make sure you aren't feeling too lost, and then hit the pavement. It's really fun. Sometimes people get snobby about using guides in these games too, but my advice is just do what makes you happy, the games are a joy even with a guide/faq. When you feel comfortable with the game, it can be really really fun to explore and discover it on your own though.

I usually tell my friends to play Demons or Darks with a guide and then play the other blind.

Wereroku

Demon's is the most obscure of all the games when it comes to stats. Also the thief's ring messes with a lot of stuff but it makes the storm levels a lot less annoying. I think if Demon's has clicked with you Bloodborne will come easily. From the looks of it they have improved the UI and fixed many problems with cheese tactics. They haven't shown of the PVP yet but they should take the improvements from different series and add them there to.

DavidDesu

Demon's is the most obscure of all the games when it comes to stats. Also the thief's ring messes with a lot of stuff but it makes the storm levels a lot less annoying. I think if Demon's has clicked with you Bloodborne will come easily. From the looks of it they have improved the UI and fixed many problems with cheese tactics. They haven't shown of the PVP yet but they should take the improvements from different series and add them there to.

Thanks. Yeah the overall presentation looks quite nice in Bloodborne, and of course playing DeS right now is slightly painful when looking at the graphics, although I was surprised at how atmospheric they could still be. Bloodborne looks ridiculously good though. Looking forward to the challenge!

GorillaJu

The reason the Chalice dungeon is being heavily marketed is because it's fucking awesome and will play a major role in how the game is played long-term. The Souls games have good replayability through speed runs or just mastering the levels, but the Chalice dungeon adds an entirely new dimension.

All of the Souls games tend to come in at about the same length if you're absolutely blowing through it, just killing the bare minimum of bosses, and I think Bb will probably stack up at about the same length. It'd be really, really hard to top DS while retaining the Souls games' primary identity and combat style, because they're romanticized so heavily by the user base. The Chalice dungeon is what separates it.

2AdEPT

Demons' was a bit tough to take at first, and TBH I was more annoyed at it than impressed out of the box...up until the 2nd boss accross the bridge...awesome scary boss but I eventually did it! THen I went to the 2nd stone and the rest was history...I was addicted for life...for some reason, exploring the depths of stonefang tunnel was what solidified my desire to continue to improve at souls and become a good player at it. YOu are wise to give the series a go and not just Bloodborne. BB will be great, but it wont blow away the rest of the games of the series by very much, if it willl at all. Once you learn the souls controls system you wont be a complete noob at any of the other games, and will likely enjoy them as well. Just learn to be cautious approaching enemies and let them attack first. Then punish their animation recovery. DOnt be afraid to learn how use the bow and use strategies that involve it. All the items you get will be useful at one time or another and there are always multipe ways to progress past a tight spot. Use trial and error, experiment, even if you die....treat each death as a learning opportunity, not a failure.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If the hunter's mark is scarce and pricey like in ds1 then theres no problem. But if its as obtainable they were in ds2 then there will be virtually no penalty for death.

The Hunter's Mask is an infinite-use item, acting like the Dark Ring in DS. You forfeit currently held Blood Echoes and return to the Dream Refuge (or last lamp you lit, can't remember).

[*]The Plain Doll in the refuge is a key character (joking possibly?)

Early game Doll spoiler:
She wakes up and provides access to levelling once you've encountered Cleric Beast (first boss).

[*]Blood echoes (Bloodbornes take on souls) can either be in the spot you died or picked up by a nearby enemy/enemy that killed you. Enemies with your blood echoes have glowing red eyes.

All correct except for the glowing eye colour ;)
It's pretty prominent though, so locating and singling out the enemy for revenge is quite satisfying, and can add another level of strategy to getting your lost blood back.

[*]Changing form of trick weapon in a combo properly can knock away enemy shields

A charged attack will also knock them off guard.
I think laying into them in general will eventually break their guard, like in the Souls games.

[*]The Bold Hunter Mark item given by the veteran hunter allows players to reawaken at a lamp after death without losing blood echoes

As mentioned above, you do lose your Blood Echoes.

The Hunter's Mask is an infinite-use item, acting like the Dark Ring in DS. You forfeit currently held Blood Echoes and return to the Dream Refuge (or last lamp you lit, can't remember).

Early game Doll spoiler:
She wakes up and provides access to levelling once you've encountered Cleric Beast (first boss).

How...how do you know this? D:

GorillaJu

Early game Doll spoiler:

All correct except for the glowing eye colour ;)
It's pretty prominent though, so locating and singling out the enemy for revenge is quite satisfying, and can add another level of strategy to getting your lost blood back.

A charged attack will also knock them off guard.
I think laying into them in general will eventually break their guard, like in the Souls games.

On the doll:
do you only have to encounter the CB now? Last I saw, you had to beat one boss (either Gascoigne or Cleric Beast) to get access

The Hunter's Mask is an infinite-use item, acting like the Dark Ring in DS. You forfeit currently held Blood Echoes and return to the Dream Refuge (or last lamp you lit, can't remember.)

I know you have some inside info but I think you're mistaking it for another item. I'm only saying this because the Raven hunter gives you 3 Bold Hunter Marks. If it was an infinite use item then there would be only one of them. Also, the dark ring item would likely already be in your inventory when you first start the game.

GorillaJu

Hey! Spolier folks...
Does the doll have the Maiden in Black voice actress?

I played it with very low sound volume so I didn't get to hear. I had the same question when I saw the final box art (she is on the inside cover in the Japanese box), and the guy I asked didn't know either :lol

I think Bold Hunter Marks are homeward boners.

Edit: the above is incorrect.

aly

I played it with very low sound volume so I didn't get to hear.

I think Bold Hunter Marks are homeward boners.

That would make sense, especially if you get 4 of them. An good way to save your blood by going back to the hub.

Edit:Well poo. The other info about them is strange though. Why 4 or 3 of an infinite use item?

VoxPop

This looks pretty cool. Never played Dark Souls 1 or 2 and would like to give one of them a whirl before this is released. Which should I play?

I played it with very low sound volume so I didn't get to hear. I had the same question when I saw the final box art (she is on the inside cover in the Japanese box), and the guy I asked didn't know either :lol

Thanks for that, some interesting info still. I keep saying I'm going on media blackout but the only blacking out I do is clicking on black spoiler bars so I can find more things out!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Huh, that's pretty much the opposite of how some have been describing that item. Ok then. But what would even be the point of using it over just fighting to the death? That makes you go back to the Nexus or last used lamp too, right? Do you lose something more than just blood when dying?

Huh, that's pretty much the opposite of how some have been describing that item. Ok then. But what would even be the point of using it over just fighting to the death? That makes you go back to the Nexus or last used lamp too, right? Do you lose something more than just blood when dying?

Should be very useful for speedruns, or if its a situation where blood echoes doesn't matter at the moment.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
How...how do you know this? D:

That would be telling, but I may unknowingly be in a similar boat to OddMorsel here ;)
Still, don't fret. That's by far her only purpose...

On the doll:
do you only have to encounter the CB now? Last I saw, you had to beat one boss (either Gascoigne or Cleric Beast) to get access

Afaik you don't need to beat the boss, but perhaps you can encounter (and die to) either of them.

I know you have some inside info but I think you're mistaking it for another item. I'm only saying this because the Raven hunter gives you 3 Bold Hunter Marks. If it was an infinite use item then there would be only one of them. Also, the dark ring item would likely already be in your inventory when you first start the game.

The Hunter's Mask is indeed a Dark Ring-esque infinite-use item, which you start with in your inventory. But yes, the Bold Hunter Masks given by the Raven hunter seem to serve a different purpose.

I would have thought they acted as Homeward Bones too, but apparently that's not the case!

Should be very useful for speedruns, or if its a situation where blood echoes doesn't matter at the moment.

This is a good description. I never used the Dark Ring or similar item in previous games (it always scared me, sitting there innocently as a reminder of the curse...), but have seen it used very effectively in speed runs.

The Hunter's Mask is indeed a Dark Ring-esque infinite-use item, which you start with in your inventory. But yes, the Bold Hunter Masks given by the Raven hunter seem to serve a different purpose.

Ring of Dark is in DS1 is called the Darksign in the English version of the game. Just in case anyone is getting confused.

According to a video released yesterday by IGN, Bold Hunter's Marks are like consumable rings of sacrifice.

I guess they do have a homeward bone like effect if you suicide yourself though.

Top Bottom