• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published

Sensei

Many people are excited. Its just the same 15-20 people who have been crying about this game since its initial announcement. Ignore them.
Believe me, I try. It's just that it gets tiresome at some point to have every thread about this game with the same trite comments from a (very) vocal minority.
Even considering that the most obnoxious users are/were already on my ignore list.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Looks more like a Dark Souls clone than Final Fantasy.
dylan-what.gif

I just find it wild, as a fan of this series, that some people are arguing about the degree of action based combat and the finer details of it vs it being a completely different genre of game. This is a character action game, not a classic FF RPG. I wouldn't even define 7R as one either, but it at least tries to pretend to incorporate the RPG stuff. The hardcore fans get it though. Look at this remake of FF(9, which was arguably the last real deal FF game.

Frankly, this game feels like the final slap in the face of a long series of slaps to the fans.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Have we not all played enough games to be able to understand what we're seeing?

Relax with the defensiveness. I'm sure the game will score highly and sell well. But there's a reason the excitement and subsequent preorders are lower energy than they "should" be.
I’m defensive because people make judgements before they play a game. Idgaf if you’ve played enough games to “understand what you are seeing”…I’m just tired of people with their pre conceived notions about games…and it goes wayyyyy beyond just this game.

KàIRóS

Imagine saying THIS combat looks boring, man what are you guys smoking? just looking at it feels so damn satisfying

FFXVI makes it seem like Capcom kept Ryota Suzuki in chains to stop all his potential as a combat designer.

Funny part is that Dragon's Dogma combat initially was also very criticized, people complained about it being clunky, classes being boring and unbalanced, the pawn system being cryptic AF, enemies hitting way too hard, etc. It wasn't until people played it extensively that they realized "holy shit this is amazing" and who designed the combat of Dragon's Dogma? Ryota Suzuki.

BTW It also sounds disingenuous to say you don't support the game because it doesn't have Turn Based Combat when it's been more than 20 years since we last saw proper turn based combat in FFX.

Last edited:
Imagine saying THIS combat looks boring, man what are you guys smoking? just looking at it it looks so damn satisfying

FFXVI makes it seem like Capcom kept Ryota Suzuki in chains to stop all his potential as a combat designer.

Funny part is that Dragon's Dogma combat initially was also very criticized, people complained about it being clunky, classes being boring and unbalanced, the pawn system being cryptic AF, enemies hitting way too hard, etc. It wasn't until people played it extensively that they realized "holy shit this is amazing" and who designed the combat of Dragon's Dogma? Ryota Suzuki.

BTW It also sounds disingenuous to say you don't support the game because it doesn't have Turn Based Combat when it's been more than 20 years since we last saw proper turn based combat in FFX.

In fact, many of the same people currently whining about FFXVI are self-proclaimed diehard fans of Dragon's Dogma. It's just petulance and stupidity

Katatonic

Do the enemies even fight back? Or are they just there to absorb a million hits from the main character?

This game looks exhausting.
There's plenty of footage where you're dodging and parrying attacks. I think they just show popcorn enemies so they can show off the crazy moves. Those in doubt should look up some videos.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I just find it wild, as a fan of this series, that some people are arguing about the degree of action based combat and the finer details of it vs it being a completely different genre of game. This is a character action game, not a classic FF RPG. I wouldn't even define 7R as one either, but it at least tries to pretend to incorporate the RPG stuff. The hardcore fans get it though. Look at this remake of FF(9, which was arguably the last real deal FF game.

Frankly, this game feels like the final slap in the face of a long series of slaps to the fans.

FF9 is my favorite game of all time.

FFXVI looks infinitely better than this fan remake concept.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yep, I remember when two of my coworkers complained that Dragon’s Dogma was shallow, too hard, boring, and gave up on it. I told them that they barely scratched the surface of the combat system, but they ignored me.

By chance, one of those coworkers ended up needing a place to stay for awhile, so I let them use one of my bedrooms for a few months. He was watching me play through Bitterblack Isle content since Dark Arisen had debuted, watching me fight all sorts of crazy stuff.

Dude ended up buying Dark Arisen and started playing it nonstop. Couldn’t stop talking about how much fun it was, jumping between all the vocations. Ended up getting his character all the way to the level 200 cap.

I anticipate a similar degree of player agency in choosing how to set up your character in XVI and I’m here for it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well, after the Rebirth trailer, I'm now in the camp that this game looks a lot better and tailored to modern hardware. The Rebirth trailer just looked like the PS4 game with bigger but barren and completely sterile zones.

The only area where Rebirth might excel is Nomura's over-designed character models for that game.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I’m defensive because people make judgements before they play a game. Idgaf if you’ve played enough games to “understand what you are seeing”…I’m just tired of people with their pre conceived notions about games…and it goes wayyyyy beyond just this game.
By that standard you shouldn't be allowed to praise or be excited for the game either.

I agree that some criticism just isn't valid, pre or post launch. But it looks like a version of DMC with a stagger gauge, they say its DMC with a stagger gauge, and I'm saying that there are elements of that game design that don't appeal as much at this point in the medium.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Imagine saying THIS combat looks boring, man what are you guys smoking? just looking at it feels so damn satisfying

FF16 Gameplay is one step short of playing itself; semi-automated flashy, shallow combat.
I never played DD, and I'm not a turn based stan.

This gameplay is style over substance.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just don't think you can dismiss genuine criticism because you are a fan of the developers.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
People hating because of the battle system…some of these dummies are going to miss out on an amazing experience because of it too.

Or maybe people just dont like action/dmc like games that much ... not everything is hate ... people like different things ... and if FF now is an action game some people dont like those... simple enough ... cant blame a FF fan not wanting an action game, is a different genre all together

And FFXV was abysmally bad.. so a little caution is always good

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For people complaining about trash mobs being just that it's like every other RPGs you played in your life. Trash mobs are there to keep you busy and level up while doing so. Your true test will be with bosses like it has always been. And I swear the mechanics I've seen of the bosses here and their multiple phases is nothing short of amazing. Blood will pump!

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Imagine being this blind to flashy effects and ignoring the actual combat mechanics being shallow af. Wow the visuals are great said the guy while pressing the same single button 30 times and waiting a minute to kill one random minion. No wonder quality drops with every year.

Madflavor

Lots of disingenuous fucks on this board, spraying their shit all over these threads with their bad faith posts. It's not going to take minutes to take down a single enemy unless you suck at the game and don't understand how to use your combat skills efficiently, and the combat is not going to involve walking up to enemies and mashing nothing but the square button.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Ya I don't think this is for me combat wise. I never got on with their combat post turn-based.

Too many scripted attacks and too much going on in the screen for me.

I think the issue here might be people are going to look at the obvious soul influenced style and compare them, I don't think this would be as much of a problem if they stuck with the usual art-style the games had. People like me would have went "yep.. that's final fantasy alright" and never touched it like usual based on the footage. But it's obvious by the change in style they are trying to lean more into the dark fantasy style.

I did have my eye on this one because I'd love another good third-party character action game with good combat but I doubt this is it for me.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
By that standard you shouldn't be allowed to praise or be excited for the game either.

I agree that some criticism just isn't valid, pre or post launch. But it looks like a version of DMC with a stagger gauge, they say its DMC with a stagger gauge, and I'm saying that there are elements of that game design that don't appeal as much at this point in the medium.
Okay, and your thoughts and opinions are perfectly okay. I’m talking about people who just bash games with no context before they are out. I’m all for tastes and opinions, but if there is no substance behind your opinion, then you are bashing for no reason.
I’m praising the game and am excited for it because I love the setting and I like how they’ve moved on from slow ass turn based combat in a lot of their games, to something that can actually hold my attention for more than 30 minutes.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Or maybe people just dont like action/dmc like games that much ... not everything is hate ... people like different things ... and if FF now is an action game some people dont like those... simple enough ... cant blame a FF fan not wanting an action game, is a different genre all together

Final Fantasy has been an action game since FFX. Again, like I replied to Prototype a few minutes ago, I’m more directly taking shots at people who bash the game but legitimately don’t give a reason as to why. Trolls essentially. I’m not mad people don’t like it, I’m mad the industry has become a bitching session…Devs see it and read it all day long, and that’s why good big budget games are disappearing, because they can’t figure out what the fuck to make because people are always bitching with no context.

Madflavor

Final Fantasy has been an action game since FFX. Again, like I replied to Prototype a few minutes ago, I’m more directly taking shots at people who bash the game but legitimately don’t give a reason as to why. Trolls essentially. I’m not mad people don’t like it, I’m mad the industry has become a bitching session…Devs see it and read it all day long, and that’s why good big budget games are disappearing, because they can’t figure out what the fuck to make because people are always bitching with no context.

Ehh I would argue FFXV is when they started going full tilt into action territory. But if you want to say Final Fantasy stopped with the classic turn based approached after FFX, I'd agree with that.

Thing is, FF fans have had 23 years to come to terms with FF no longer being turned based. It's very very strange to continue to see fans salty over this. Not sure how many more decades people need to accept that.

hussar16

Dragon dogmas combat was great and revolutionary .this looks like dog 💩

Minsc

Gold Member

FFX has turn based combat, with a turn bar where you can actively see how your actions alter your turns (like casting slow or haste or using powers that give you additional turns). You can see see which enemy would go next and kill them first to prevent taking damage. It is the pinnacle of the combat system.

Bry0

So they weren’t kidding when they said enemies will only attack one at a time, you can see it clearly at 13:00.

I know I’ve been really negative about this one but holy moly does the gameplay look boring. I can’t imagine 30 hours of this.
Gotta agree there. They said ng+ they will all attack but it should be that way from the start. This looks really boring. Commit to the action if you want to go action. I don’t really get it. Wailing in enemies one at a time while they wait for their turn is really dumb.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Ehh I would argue FFXV is when they started going full tilt into action territory. But if you want to say Final Fantasy stopped with the classic turn based approached after FFX, I'd agree with that.

Thing is, FF fans have had 23 years to come to terms with FF no longer being turned based. It's very very strange to continue to see fans salty over this. Not sure how many more decades people need to accept that.

Exactly. Your last paragraph is exactly what I feel. I’ve been a die hard Final Fantasy fan since 1. 2/4 on snes was the first game I ever pre ordered. People seriously need to get past it at this point. It’s not going back to turn based ever again. I just wish people would be more open to the idea, but I can’t be mad at other people for their tastes. I just know I’m not going to personally miss out on a good game because it’s action instead of turn based. I’ll say the same when Dragon Quest switches it up in the future too.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
FFX has turn based combat, with a turn bar where you can actively see how your actions alter your turns (like casting slow or haste or using powers that give you additional turns). You can see see which enemy would go next and kill them first to prevent taking damage. It is the pinnacle of the combat system.
I meant since, like everything after X.

Sethbacca

People should definitely try them before just dismissing though. I was definitely on team "I wish FF7R would have a turn based option" but after playing the game and loving the hell out of it, I'm now on team Day 1 for FF16 and FF7 Rebirth. Yeah it's not the same as the old games, but it's a ton of fun.

And FF XV was definitely shit, but that's more because of the open world-ification of the game than anything else.

Shifty1897

I'm super annoyed that I'm off work and have no toddler responsibilities on June 19th (This only happens a few days a year) but the game comes out on the 22nd. Would have been an instant buy.

Madflavor

Soken is just way overdone. This isn't pleasing at all to the ears. It really tries hard to sell you this epic bombastic piece but it has no distinct melody or tune. A very prevalent problem with Soken and polar opposite of FF's musical legacy

#whinyoldman

Nah it's pretty fucking great and Soken is the best FF composer since Uematsu.

Soken is just way overdone. This isn't pleasing at all to the ears. It really tries hard to sell you this epic bombastic piece but it has no distinct melody or tune. A very prevalent problem with Soken and polar opposite of FF's musical legacy

#whinyoldman
Just like the trailer's music above, I thought it was good and consistent up until around halfway through(45 seconds in). For some reason once they hit the halfway mark the theme changes so much it almost loses it's identity.

The entire first 45 seconds however, reminded me of this theme:

Yoko Shimomura keeps the frame of the melody more consistent throughout though.

hyperbertha

So many people here have never played an action game like DMC and it shows...
I've completed dmc 3 and 4 by the time I've had enough mixing up combos and maxing style meters. Stop spouting nonsense out your ass. Devilnevercry is obviously a dmc fan so his opinion is irrelevant. It's a weal juvenile combat system and a downgrade over better options. Saying stuff like this is for dmc fans is stupid since this series has never been for dmc fans. That's like if dmc turned turn based and suddenly I tell you it's for final fantasy fans.

hyperbertha

Lots of disingenuous fucks on this board, spraying their shit all over these threads with their bad faith posts. It's not going to take minutes to take down a single enemy unless you suck at the game and don't understand how to use your combat skills efficiently, and the combat is not going to involve walking up to enemies and mashing nothing but the square button.
Did you see the fucking video?

Top Bottom