• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He's the best FF composer since Uematsu.
So in other words Uematsu still the best. Soken, Hamauzu, Ishimoto are all babies compared to him.

I've yet to see anything top Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life, To Zanarkand and all the themes he's created since Final Fantasy I.

I like Soken but I thiink they don't have too many good composers left.

Not sure if Yoko Shimomura ot Yasunori Mitsuda does any work these days.

Although I am more a Yuki Kajiura guy myself. Primarily their unique works and that of Xenosaga 2 and 3.

Maybe you missed the fact that you have to beat a 50++ hours game once to unlock hard mode.

So the majority of people who only play long ass game once are stuck with retarded enemies and baby mode for the only run they are gonna do because devs don't trust you to chose between hard or normal by yourself.

You are right, this is beyond horsecrap.

There is a small chance that they guy was talking bullshit but knowing past square games, it sound painfully familiar with their modus operandi.
Is that true? That's absolutely nuts.

I remember fondly having to fight bosses in certain ways in the old Final Fantasy games. Often getting whooped the first couple of times as you figured out their strength and weaknesses to the different elements, whether they were immune to certain spells, etc..... There was strategy to a lot of it. This looks way more like a western RPG, but even more hack and slash style. Going to have to see someone play it to see if there is any nuance there or not. I should have guessed they would keep heading more and more in the action direction, but I had hope that their talk about returning to their roots was more than just the setting.

On the bright side the game looks excellent visually, and it is returning to a more traditional fantasy setting. I know I will play the game, just like I have played almost every Final Fantasy, but I will wait and see. It might be a game I wait to buy on sale like I did with FFXV.

Reactions: Isa

Madflavor

Did you see the fucking video?
Yes I did see the fucking video.

So in other words Uematsu still the best.
I said he's the best since Uematsu. I like them both equally but I phrased that very specifically. Since =/= better.

I've yet to see anything top Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life, To Zanarkand and all the themes he's created since Final Fantasy I.
Personally I can think of many tracks from FFXIV that I've enjoyed more than music from FF1-9.

Chukhopops

1. Uematsu
2. Shimomura
3. Hamauzu

Then maybe Soken at number 4.
If you look at FF only then I agree. But I think Shimomura is just better overall and has a gigantic list of contributions outside of FF.
Thing is, FF fans have had 23 years to come to terms with FF no longer being turned based. It's very very strange to continue to see fans salty over this. Not sure how many more decades people need to accept that.
You make it sound like the only two ways you can make a game are Dragon Quest or FFXVI. But there is a lot of design space between the two.

Even something like FF7R, which is definitely on the action side, has resource management and party member switching as core gameplay, both of which are absent here.

Madflavor

You make it sound like the only two ways you can make a game are Dragon Quest or FFXVI. But there is a lot of design space between the two.

Even something like FF7R, which is definitely on the action side, has resource management and party member switching as core gameplay, both of which are absent here.

FFVII:R had my favorite combat system in decades. But it's not Turn Based. I'm saying it's wishful thinking on some people's part to want to go back to that classic style of Turn Based.

hyperbertha

Yes I did see the fucking video.

I said he's the best since Uematsu. I like them both equally but I phrased that very specifically. Since =/= better.

Personally I can think of many tracks from FFXIV that I've enjoyed more than music from FF1-9.
In the video the player was clearly using all abilities available to him including the famed stagger mechanic and still the stronger enemies were taking minutes to kill. It's just unacceptable for so little gameplay vareity other than attack/dodge.

If you look at FF only then I agree. But I think Shimomura is just better overall and has a gigantic list of contributions outside of FF.
No matter how good, I can't put Shimomura above Uematsu, and I can fully admit Shimomura has carried Square Enix in terms of memorable themes for years now, rivaling Uematsu in catalogue. However, Uematsu made THE themes. He made multiple themes that Square Enix has been referencing back to, paying homage to, and can't let go of because they were that good.

This is similar to a Messi vs Ronaldo or Jordan vs James situation in sports.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is that true? That's absolutely nuts.

I remember fondly having to fight bosses in certain ways in the old Final Fantasy games. Often getting whooped the first couple of times as you figured out their strength and weaknesses to the different elements, whether they were immune to certain spells, etc..... There was strategy to a lot of it. This looks way more like a western RPG, but even more hack and slash style. Going to have to see someone play it to see if there is any nuance there or not. I should have guessed they would keep heading more and more in the action direction, but I had hope that their talk about returning to their roots was more than just the setting.

On the bright side the game looks excellent visually, and it is returning to a more traditional fantasy setting. I know I will play the game, just like I have played almost every Final Fantasy, but I will wait and see. It might be a game I wait to buy on sale like I did with FFXV.
99% true, i seeing a lot of people on reeee saying that the devs specified that in the first run they want players to enjoy the story and familiarize with the combat system and that you unclok 2 other non-retarded difficulty modes by beating the game once.

Porticus

99% true, i seeing a lot of people on reeee saying that the devs specified that in the first run they want players to enjoy the story and familiarize with the combat system and that you unclok 2 other non-retarded difficulty modes by beating the game once.

Not only is retarded difficulty mode, it seems you need to spend minutes spamming attacks for minions, I really hope is only because of advertisement and not in the final game because this stuff is boring AF.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
After Type 0 they made the switch to Action Combat. It is the future and it is here to stay. If you want turnbased then you will need to play Bravely Default or Octopath.

Or just play old games.

In FF7R's defense you are still using menu's for your commands and certain skills need meters to be filled so it to me feels like a FF game should.

I get a distinct different feeling from FF16 here based on what I'm seeing. Very much DMC/Bayo style with HP sponge enemies.

Like the game will be decent I'm sure but I am not really excited on spending time on sponges with floating numbers and flashy effects.

It's currently playing out like a ARPG version of FF13. Do no damage until you stagger then maximize stagger window for your burst damage and then stagger them again.

When you break it all down it's a very boring gameplay loop.

That said I'll reserve judgment until after the game is out but I'm rarely wrong about what I see.

Meanwhile with FF7R I'm all what fun such joy. Tifa and Yuffie gameplay is just chef's kiss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Ah saying since is inclusive. Like I've been a sports fan since 2010 would include the year 2010.
Yep, if you look at it as inclusive. What I said though clearly excludes FFX. I wouldn’t be arguing anything Final Fantasy if I didn’t know X was turn based, come on man! 😂

Madflavor

In the video the player was clearly using all abilities available to him including the famed stagger mechanic and still the stronger enemies were taking minutes to kill. It's just unacceptable for so little gameplay vareity other than attack/dodge.

Strong enemies taking a couple minutes to kill doesn't bother me. I've played other video games before, it's pretty common.

Definitely going to have to wait and see people play it then. FFXV was an absolute slog at certain points. I really don't want to spend 40 hours button mashing on stupid enemies before the game can be played with some difficulty. I'm probably too old school. I want enemies to be able to kick my butt so I have to learn to use the right moves or strategies to win.

who're you gonna believe? a fellow board member, or your lying eyes?...

Madflavor

who're you gonna believe? a fellow board member, or your lying eyes?...

I'll tell you what I believe. Every content creator and reviewer who previewed the game extensively have all come out saying the combat is fun and satisfying to play, even amongst the skeptics. I believe there is a disconnect between people who are watching the combat footage, and people who are actually getting their hands on it and playing it. I keep seeing over and over again "mashing square".. Easy Allies extensively went into combat mechanics.

• You get your basic 4 hit combo by mashing square
  • You can also hold square for bigger attacks.
  • You can chain your physical and magic attacks together.
  • Triangle is your spells.
  • You can also hold triangle to continue to charge your spells.
  • Parrying
  • Jump Cancels
  • Air combos
  • You have your Eikon Abilities when you switch your loadout.
  • You have your big Eikon Abilities
  • Limit Breaks
  • Commands for Torgal
And that's what we know of so far. In the IGN video we don't know much about the build the guy is running, and what skill points did he invest in. Judging by the fact that both the IGN and IGN Japan versions of the video both have Clive at level 21, it's fair to say this was a certain built with a prebuilt Clive that was given to them.

I'm trying to say context matters here. Jumping in cold and watching combat footage is not the same as starting a game from the beginning, learning the ropes, gradually build your power, unlock abilities over time, and mastering the system. I'm more inclined to listen to the opinions of people who actually played the game than people who haven't.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah but most influencers/streamers are going to be shilling the game as is their job. Odds are you start with nothing and it's going to be a slow burn.

Giving the streamers all the toys and the everyone else starts with none is just going to feel bad.

I can see valid concerns for fighting standard trash mobs that take forever to die from basic attacks.

Don't see much point in debating it right now though when the game lands on PS5 in 2 weeks.

I'll tell you what I believe. Every content creator and reviewer who previewed the game extensively have all come out saying the combat is fun and satisfying to play, even amongst the skeptics. I believe there is a disconnect between people who are watching the combat footage, and people who are actually getting their hands on it and playing it. I keep seeing over and over again "mashing square".. Easy Allies extensively went into combat mechanics...
well, isn't the combat footage itself footage of someone getting their hands on it & playing it? who, exactly, are we watching in the combat footage if not someone actually getting their hands on it & playing it? or do we only just happen to get to watch the one content creator / reviewer who doesn't know what he's doing?...

Madflavor

well, isn't the combat footage itself footage of someone getting their hands on it & playing it? who, exactly, are we watching in the combat footage if not someone actually getting their hands on it & playing it? or do we only just happen to get to watch the one content creator / reviewer who doesn't know what he's doing?...

Was this suppose to be a "gotcha" moment from you? I'm talking about impressions and opinions from people who played the game. The IGN dungeon footage video has no narration and no feedback/impressions from the person playing.

GymWolf

Definitely going to have to wait and see people play it then. FFXV was an absolute slog at certain points. I really don't want to spend 40 hours button mashing on stupid enemies before the game can be played with some difficulty. I'm probably too old school. I want enemies to be able to kick my butt so I have to learn to use the right moves or strategies to win.
You are not too old school, many share the idea that locking any difficulty behind ANY requisite is retarded no matter the reason.

GymWolf

Not only is retarded difficulty mode, it seems you need to spend minutes spamming attacks for minions, I really hope is only because of advertisement and not in the final game because this stuff is boring AF.
2 things about that:

-square said that the demo for the journalist have trash mobs with a lot of life to permit players to style on them and show the combat, maybe it wasn't such a good idea given the reactions, but it is a thing to consider.

-the japanese demo has a dude who can actually play and he fuck up enemies a bit faster.

So there is hope.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Now that I've seen the japanese gameplay of the same session I'm noticing more and more similarities to FFXIV approach to combat. There's an huge difference between this two players in the way they chain abilities and exploits weaknesses and the whole tempo just hits different. It's like when you start to run the same dungeon twice with a perfected group in FFXIV. It's a breeze. It'll be funny as hell speeding through all the dungeons while getting better at it!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Maximilian Dood and Alex Moukala will hosts and co hosts the launch event with other staff members from the game. The marketing for this game is gonna hit huge soon with all these big influencers tagging on.

ffXE82R.jpg

Last edited:
Was this suppose to be a "gotcha" moment from you? I'm talking about impressions and opinions from people who played the game. The IGN dungeon footage video has no narration and no feedback/impressions from the person playing.
correct. the footage, devoid of impressions/opinion, is left to speak for itself. so, yeah, we're basically left with 'what you see is what you get' - nothing to go on but our lying eyes...

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Maximilian Dood and Alex Moukala will hosts and co hosts the launch event with other staff members from the game. The marketing for this game is gonna hit huge soon with all these big influencers tagging on.

ffXE82R.jpg
Best they release the demo after the closing.

look: i don't really care which or how many bottons are getting pushed, or what attacks are getting chained. what i see, via my own eyes, is what looks like a tedious, repetitive amount of trash enemy beat-downs, in footage from a game that lasts 35-40 hours. if it all looks like fun to you, then i'm happy for you, & i hope you enjoy yourself. to me, it just looks tiresome, exhausting, & not really all that rewarding. it's all subjective...

Last edited:
Official version is on Spotify and Apple Music I think.
Sorry, I worded that poorly. What I meant is, that this version, compared to what I heard in the Dominance trailer, sounds horrible. The whole thing sounds synthesized and the choir sounds artificially choppy; it’s unpleasant. At least to me.

Batiman

Banned
Loving the art style but the combat just kills it for me. I’m not 100% I still want turn based with FF anymore but I know I don’t want this. It might grow on me . I enjoyed 7 remastered somewhat

Have you ever played ANY final fantasy? Everyone that says this shows a lack of history with the series. Every single final fantasy ever has had long ass fights.

All of them.

When is the demo for this thing supposed to be released? I was hoping it would have been right after the summer games fest event.

hyperbertha

Just like the enemies with stagger bars are also considered hunt mobs or mini bosses. Same damn thing. There are fodder enemies in XVI that die in four hits or one special move.
Lol enemies you fight every two minutes aren't minibosses. Stop moving goalposts. Also it's ok to have longer fights in turn based and hybrid combat systems. More tactile gameplay with fer less repetition and more decision making.

Ronin_7

Banned

ffXE82R.jpg
Demo will be announced here I'm sure.

Ronin_7

Banned
New video popped up showcasing a S-Rank hunt. 15 lvls higher than the player, these ign jp journalists are getting more and more aggressive and better at it with their playthroughs lol

Bruh they make me look like utter shit at games 🤣

sigmaZ

Now that I've seen the japanese gameplay of the same session I'm noticing more and more similarities to FFXIV approach to combat. There's an huge difference between this two players in the way they chain abilities and exploits weaknesses and the whole tempo just hits different. It's like when you start to run the same dungeon twice with a perfected group in FFXIV. It's a breeze. It'll be funny as hell speeding through all the dungeons while getting better at it!

Jesus. The way this person plays makes it look like a whole different game LOL

Lol enemies you fight every two minutes aren't minibosses. Stop moving goalposts. Also it's ok to have longer fights in turn based and hybrid combat systems. More tactile gameplay with fer less repetition and more decision making.
That comes from the dev team themselves so if they say only Hardermobs, hunts and minibosses have stagger bars thats what it is.

I love this vid. The combat music is LIT

There is some hope my preorder for deluxe edition would arrive day early. Elden ring did and it was the best damn day in my life.
And that's only 30fps. Their motion blur is so good

Oh wow look at those spongy fodder mobs /s
Yea, the rhetoric around this game is annoying as fuck.

Kumomeme

So in other words Uematsu still the best. Soken, Hamauzu, Ishimoto are all babies compared to him.

I like Soken but I thiink they don't have too many good composers left.

Not sure if Yoko Shimomura ot Yasunori Mitsuda does any work these days.

Although I am more a Yuki Kajiura guy myself. Primarily their unique works and that of Xenosaga 2 and 3.
to be fair there is only one Nobuo Uematsu. talent like that is not easy come by and same goes with Soken, Hamauzu, Shimomura etc. there is only one of them and each of them has their own 'sound'.

we should stop trying to compare everything to Uematsu. there is only one of him and we probably never get that level of genius again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom