• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published

-Zelda-

Banned
Can't see what your party is doing, so it's pointless to even have them. Did they say if we can switch to them or not? If no, then that is lame.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can't see what your party is doing, so it's pointless to even have them. Did they say if we can switch to them or not? If no, then that is lame.

The party is composed of the player and the dog which you have control over.

The other party members are controlled by AI we don’t know if there some customization or not but it’s a character action game so don’t expect much. They’re mostly there for story reasons and it’s a good thing because not being needed game wise they can be wrote off and killed anytime for drama :D I expect lots of painful deaths given this writer involved huhu

When Moster Hunter World sells 22.5 million copies how can people with a straight face call damage sponges bad design?

Anyway if this bothers you please go and play Elden ring. You will be able to brainlessly 1 shot L2 jump attack to yours hearts content in that game!

Madflavor

On the whole composer debate, I also think Uematsu was the best composer for his time. Most of Uematsu’s bangers were made in the 8 bit to PSone Era where music in games were more primitive. This is what forced him to stretch his creative juices. So nowadays I don’t know how he would measure up against modern composers. I’m sure he’d be great, but it’s not like Soken or Hamazou haven’t composed top tier brilliant songs themselves.

None of this is to discredit Nobou Uematsu, I’m just saying his music was very much a product of it’s time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
When Moster Hunter World sells 22.5 million copies how can people with a straight face call damage sponges bad design?

Anyway if this bothers you please go and play Elden ring. You will be able to brainlessly 1 shot L2 jump attack to yours hearts content in that game!
Monster Hunter games are all about hunting a "Boss Monster" sometimes a few of them in a single hunt. All the generic weak monsters die in a couple hits.

Poor example.

Elden Ring is more about gear, build, stat stacking and maybe some skillful play, scarlet rot/magic cheese tactics. Weak enemies can be killed easily. Bosses and some miniboss enemy types take a bit more experience to take down in reasonable fashion.

Monster Hunter will sell 20 million because the bosses you fight will react to the attacks you inflict and will actually stagger based on the impact of your weapons.

FF16 is taking notes from Black Desert with nonresponsive reactions from being wailed on by everything and other staggers once you meet a arbitrary condition or break a gauge.

But I think a lot of similarities to other entries in Final Fantasy is primarily FF13's stagger system. But the game also is pulling a lot of similar mechanics from FF14 which was/is Yoshida's baby.

I'm not so sure FF16 will share Monster Hunters success.

MH brand is still strong. FF brand is incredibly diluted.

Monster Hunter games are all about hunting a "Boss Monster" sometimes a few of them in a single hunt.
Monster Hunter is just one example. The point is that having " Damage sponges" is actually pretty fundamental to encourage interesting gameplay in nearly all combat systems.
All the generic weak monsters die in a couple hits.
There is a ton of footage now of Clive obliterating fooder enemies in nano seconds.
Poor example.

Elden Ring is more about gear, build, stat stacking and maybe some skillful play, scarlet rot/magic cheese tactics. Weak enemies can be killed easily. Bosses and some miniboss enemy types take a bit more experience to take down in reasonable fashion.
Indeed and I would argue it's the intial high boss HP that encourages those other things.
Monster Hunter will sell 20 million because the bosses you fight will react to the attacks you inflict and will actually stagger based on the impact of your weapons.
Some attacks do. Plenty of attacks give absolutely zero reaction from the monster.
FF16 is taking notes from Black Desert with nonresponsive reactions from being wailed on by everything and other staggers once you meet a arbitrary condition or break a gauge.
Not true there's plenty of footage of enemies getting sent flying etc depending on the power of the attack size of the enemy etc.
But I think a lot of similarities to other entries in Final Fantasy is primarily FF13's stagger system. But the game also is pulling a lot of similar mechanics from FF14 which was/is Yoshida's baby.
The stagger mechanic made FF7 remakes combat awesome hopefully it does the same here.
I'm not so sure FF16 will share Monster Hunters success.
Probably not but we will see.
MH brand is still strong. FF brand is incredibly diluted.
Monster Hunter blew up after Monster Hunter World. Maybe FF16 will be FFs Monster World moment time will tell.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People have short term memories. The same endless tears were brought up with FF7R and its stagger mechanics and every last person ate crow on that.

The enemies are not spongy. Y’all just want reasons to justify your preconceived hate.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People have short term memories. The same endless tears were brought up with FF7R and its stagger mechanics and every last person ate crow on that.

The enemies are spongy. Y’all just want reasons to justify your preconceived hate.
This alway been case in GAF, remember how people full one shot RE4R and saying is worse than RE3R over what...........over fucking rain.

People called TotK glorified DLC, its same shit over and over again.

Monster Hunter games are all about hunting a "Boss Monster" sometimes a few of them in a single hunt. All the generic weak monsters die in a couple hits.

Poor example.
Great Example. How many people are going to repeat this lie?
I love this vid. The combat music is LIT

There is some hope my preorder for deluxe edition would arrive day early. Elden ring did and it was the best damn day in my life.
And that's only 30fps. Their motion blur is so good

The enemies are not spongy. Y’all just want reasons to justify your preconceived hate.
I just wish people would think about what exactly there asking for.

Think about how much game design is all about dealing more damage and how all that would thrown out just because " No more damage sponges"

If everything died in one or two hits what would be the point off-

Leveling up
Getting stronger weapons.
Light or Heavy attacks
Stun, stagger etc.
Status or Elemental effects
Hitting weak spots.
Chaining together combos
Special moves
Resource management.

This isn't just about Final Fantasy but games in general. Something as simple incentivsieing headshots is rendered mute if enemies are killed too quickly.

Where is the show to be broadcast today? I couldn't find any video open on YouTube quite yet - does anyone have a link? Starts in 15 minutes I thought (4pm pst, 7est?).

Edit, I see it is tomorrow and not today. Darn one more day until hopefully demo.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I just wish people would think about what exactly there asking for.

Think about how much game design is all about dealing more damage and how all that would thrown out just because " No more damage sponges"

If everything died in one or two hits what would be the point off-

Leveling up
Getting stronger weapons.
Light or Heavy attacks
Stun, stagger etc.
Status or Elemental effects
Hitting weak spots.
Chaining together combos
Special moves
Resource management.

This isn't just about Final Fantasy but games in general. Something as simple incentivsieing headshots is rendered mute if enemies are killed too quickly.
I don't know where the damage-sponges narrative came from. I mean... I was fighting Yiazmat for over 5hrs....

I just want the game to be harder, or the enemies to fight back more. Unfortunately, that difficulty setting is hidden behind a second playthrough.
That is my one gripe with this game so far.

I love the Stagger mechanic. XIII’s impact ❤️
I'm also a big fan of the stagger mechanic in general. That's one thing I really loved about XIII - despite all the problems, the battle system was good fun. Same with VII R, despite my problems with that game/direction of the game, I love the combat, especially on the higher difficulty. Hard should be unlockable from the beginning, it's a lot more enjoyable for me.

ProtoByte

Okay, and your thoughts and opinions are perfectly okay. I’m talking about people who just bash games with no context before they are out. I’m all for tastes and opinions, but if there is no substance behind your opinion, then you are bashing for no reason.
I’m praising the game and am excited for it because I love the setting and I like how they’ve moved on from slow ass turn based combat in a lot of their games, to something that can actually hold my attention for more than 30 minutes.
You're not going to hear me defend the honor turn-based combat.

I don't know where the damage-sponges narrative came from. I mean... I was fighting Yiazmat for over 5hrs....
Yes we can go even further back than that to FFVII with Ruby and Emerald weapon and I am the FF before that.

I think usually if an enemy feels like a damge sponge it's probably the player not engaging with the mechanics properly and it should be a red flag to try something different. Or it's a mega challenge that you shouldn't be able to finish in 2 minutes.

Of course there are some games that just have plain bad damage sponges Hogwarts Legacy immediately comes to mind.
I just want the game to be harder, or the enemies to fight back more. Unfortunately, that difficulty setting is hidden behind a second playthrough.
That is my one gripe with this game so far.
Yes rather unfortunate this. My only weak ass defence of this is they want you to have all your abilities before attempting this.

I have noticed recently that some games have big difficulty spikes right at the beginning of there hard modes because you lack gear aren't leveled up e.g. RE4 remake or GOW 2018. Maybe they want to avoid this?

Either way have you seen the new Hunt gameplay from ign? It's nice that you can take on overleveled enemies and that Atlas enemy looked nicely challenging.

Mr.Phoenix

Yes we can go even further back than that to FFVII with Ruby and Emerald weapon and I am the FF before that.

I think usually if an enemy feels like a damge sponge it's probably the player not engaging with the mechanics properly and it should be a red flag to try something different. Or it's a mega challenge that you shouldn't be able to finish in 2 minutes.

Of course there are some games that just have plain bad damage sponges Hogwarts Legacy immediately comes to mind.
I agree. I also feel that difficulty... or lack of it can give the impression the damage sponge mechanic. If the enemies don't pose too much of a threat and you can get along with just mashing away with your most basic mindless attack, then the enemies taking a while to defeat starts to feel cheap.

I feel there is no better way to make a player in an action game earn and value the systems of the game than to make the enemies actually require skill to beat.
Yes rather unfortunate this. My only weak ass defence of this is they want you to have all your abilities before attempting this.

I have noticed recently that some games have big difficulty spikes right at the beginning of there hard modes because you lack gear aren't leveled up e.g. RE4 remake or GOW 2018. Maybe they want to avoid this?
Possibly.
Either way have you seen the new Hunt gameplay from ign? It's nice that you can take on overleveled enemies and that Atlas enemy looked nicely challenging.
For real? Haven't seen it. link pls?

nvm... found it. Now that what I am talking about.

Last edited:
I agree. I also feel that difficulty... or lack of it can give the impression the damage sponge mechanic. If the enemies don't pose too much of a threat and you can get along with just mashing away with your most basic mindless attack, then the enemies taking a while to defeat starts to feel cheap.
Yeah I feel like there was a couple of games that were really bad at this last gen. Ironically enough might have been vanilla FFXV and vanilla destiny.
I feel there is no better way to make a player in an action game earn and value the systems of the game than to make the enemies actually require skill to beat.
Yeah completely agree with this. Sigrun in GOW 2018 is a good example. Easily the most HP enemy but always engaging because she's always forcing you to switch up what your doing during the fight. It's probably the repetition of wailing on an enemy that feels bad not the length of the fight.
Possibly.

For real? Haven't seen it. link pls?

nvm... found it. Now that what I am talking about.
Glad I could help 👍 check our the Japan on if you hadn't already dude obviously plays better but still gets killed at the end

Rush2112

Banned
Just noticed there is a CD timer for all 6 actions on the right lower UI. Never seen a CD timer in a game outside of MMO mods. I'm guessing the game is going to be challenging if they want you to track your CDs. You probably have to make your rotations tight AF to out dps some bosses.

Last edited:
Just noticed there is a CD timer for all 6 actions on the right lower UI. Never seen a CD timer in a game outside of MMO mods. I'm guessing the game is going to be challenging if they want you to track your CDs. You probably have to make your rotations tight AF to out dps some bosses.
God of war and Hogwarts legacy have them.

There not that difficult well God of war is on its hardest difficulty but the rest is fairly manageable.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Zelda is walking away with the game of the year title, comparing it to Final Fantasy it comes down to Zelda's legacy vs Final Fantasies being lined up as a great game franchise.

sigmaZ

CDs? C...
deez nuts GIF

Top Bottom