• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

I'm extremely surprised that Microsoft hasn't bought playground, I just recently bought Horizon for $10 on XBL and I'm enjoying it alot. I haven't been this hooked to a racing game since need for speed underground.

Gestault

I've seen the claims of physically-based lighting giving effects like rainbow-gradation in other racing games and I feel like it's worth asking here too: On what level is it simulated? I feel like it's likely to be a (beautiful) shorthand effect called on by the proper conditions rather than actual photonic simulation, since that would be technologically impractical. I'm not saying I demand that, but when I hear physically-based lighting, I think it gives an impression a that's likely a little different from the reality of how they implement it.

That said, even the small range of lighting conditions we've seen have been beeautiful, not the least of which being the rainbows.

I demand a return of that factory with those huge mounds of dirt. Import it brick-by-brick to europe if you have to.

That was my special "air" playground.

This game's graphics are absolutely incredible. Everything looks so good, and it's amazing to read about all the tech and attention to detail present in the game.

Gestault

I want Hail.

FUCKING HAIL.

Leaving dents in the paint, causing minor traction issues while cornering, and when the weather improves it turns to water. Do it.

i8SdQZOO0HMZH.png

saladine1

Two new stories :)

An in-depth look at how Playground recorded audio for cars like the Lambo Huracán
http://bit.ly/1novpos (article)

Ralph Fulton discusses the game's social innovations
http://bit.ly/1psdSjF (video)

“We go to great detail to model the sounds of any inconsistencies that are in there as well, which is really important, especially in the decel[eration] as well, with exhaust pops and stuff.”

Looking forward to hearing the downshifts and overruns now..

So, PG are doing their own sounds?
I thought they borrowed assets from Turn 10?

Omni

HUD is awful. You'll be able to turn bits and pieces off, right? (Obviously you'd want to keep the map there or whatever).

I never played the original.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm extremely surprised that Microsoft hasn't bought playground, I just recently bought Horizon for $10 on XBL and I'm enjoying it alot. I haven't been this hooked to a racing game since need for speed underground.

Playground developing a NFSU3 would be out of this fuckin world D:

Kelsey

Banned
I only have room for one driving game in my life. This is that game. Sorry, Forza Horizon 1, but you're being put out to pasture.

Looks like fun, definitely some work left to be done though.

Such as? Not arguing, just curious because the game already looks pretty damn perfect to me. Weather effects look fantastic, so does the cars and various lighting conditions, dirt builds up on the vehicles as they drive through offroad areas, the environments are fairly large and detailed and have some pretty cool stuff going on in them, a whole host of things to like. I can also tell I'm going to love knocking down fences and running into anything that can be knocked down or run over in this game, as it looks awesome in one of the earlier IGN videos I saw.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
coming off the announcement that there is no dedicated rally modes, i hope they are considering another rally DLC mode for this.

coming off the announcement that there is no dedicated rally modes, i hope they are considering another rally DLC mode for this.
I missed that announcement. Or do you mean the quick snippet in the AMA?

Does that mean there are no Horizon 1 rally-esque off-road trails in the open world of Horizon 2? The open world off road stuff in the first game was fun, but absolutely tame in comparison to the stuff they added in the expansion with all the various driving surfaces. My hope is that we'd at least see a significant upgrade to off-road segments in the open world, for those who loved the rally expansion the first time around.

Basically, you can still have open world rallying without specifically needing separate game modes or a co-driver.

eso76

I've seen the claims of physically-based lighting giving effects like rainbow-gradation in other racing games and I feel like it's worth asking here too: On what level is it simulated? I feel like it's likely to be a (beautiful) shorthand effect called on by the proper conditions rather than actual photonic simulation, since that would be technologically impractical. I'm not saying I demand that, but when I hear physically-based lighting, I think it gives an impression a that's likely a little different from the reality of how they implement it.

That said, even the small range of lighting conditions we've seen have been beeautiful, not the least of which being the rainbows.

Yeah, well some developers really like to hype the stuff they're doing, and make it sound like they are simulating every atom and how light is scattered in every single drop of rain, and of course, drops rolling down every surface take every possible variable into account, like wind, how hot is the car's hood (makes drops evaporate faster) friction and whether you've waxed your car or not.

To be honest, I imagine the "rainbows are simulated" to simply mean they appear in the correct position relative to the sun and that's it. Besides, anything deeper than that would make no sense.

I have mad respect for PG and T10, but sometimes they tend to brag about their tech too much, especially since results are often not as realistic as other devs' who just kept quiet.

Yeah, well some developers really like to hype the stuff they're doing, and make it sound like they are simulating every atom and how light is scattered in every single drop of rain, and of course, drops rolling down every surface take every possible variable into account, like wind, how hot is the car's hood (makes drops evaporate faster) friction and whether you've waxed your car or not.

To be honest, I imagine the "rainbows are simulated" to simply mean they appear in the correct position relative to the sun and that's it. Besides, anything deeper than that would make no sense.

I have mad respect for PG and T10, but sometimes they tend to brag about their tech too much, especially since results are often not as realistic as other devs' who just kept quiet.

I think in this case the results really speak for themselves. They aren't really talking about what anyone else is doing. They're talking about what they're doing in their title, same as pretty much every other dev does. I could trot out a list of developers, both first and third party, that does the exact same thing on a pretty consistent basis.

Fact is it's always good policy to inform people about anything cool that your game may be doing in hopes people pay attention and keep an eye out for it, which hopefully in turn leads to gamers having a greater level of appreciation for that work. I don't see it as bragging. Singling out Turn 10 and Playground as if they're somehow these chief offenders of something that just about every game team does is pretty strange to say the least. I mean, was there criticism for mentioning any of the sky simulation work done in Ground Zeroes on PS4, or all the work done with Driveclub? There was a point when we were getting incredibly detailed info on each and every bit of Driveclub graphical progress. Was that bragging? Are Naughty Dog or the Arkham Knight team bragging when they talk about the advancements they are making in their respective games? Is Corrinne bragging about her work when she tweets about stuff, or is she just passionate about that work and really eager to share with fans? Should we yawn when they tell us drake's poly count is more than twice joel's in last of us? Should we mock Guerilla or Crytek when they tell us all these awesome sounding technical details about Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse? Were Ubi bragging about their wind and water simulation work in watch dogs?

Come on, give these guys a break.

Gestault

I think in this case the results really speak for themselves. They aren't really talking about what anyone else is doing. They're talking about what they're doing in their title, same as pretty much every other dev does. I could trot out a list of developers, both first and third party, that does the exact same thing on a pretty consistent basis.

Fact is it's always good policy to inform people about anything cool that your game may be doing in hopes people pay attention and keep an eye out for it, which hopefully in turn leads to gamers having a greater level of appreciation for that work. I don't see it as bragging. Singling out Turn 10 and Playground as if they're somehow these chief offenders of something that just about every game team does is pretty strange to say the least. I mean, was there criticism for mentioning any of the sky simulation work done in Ground Zeroes on PS4, or all the work done with Driveclub? There was a point when we were getting incredibly detailed info on each and every bit of Driveclub graphical progress. Was that bragging? Are Naughty Dog or the Arkham Knight team bragging when they talk about the advancements they are making in their respective games? Is Corrinne bragging about her work when she tweets about stuff, or is she just passionate about that work and really eager to share with fans? Should we yawn when they tell us drake's poly count is more than twice joel's in last of us? Should we mock Guerilla or Crytek when they tell us all these awesome sounding technical details about Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse? Were Ubi bragging about their wind and water simulation work in watch dogs?

Come on, give these guys a break.

I know for myself, the original qualm was only with how they described their process for the effect making it sound like it was purely the result of an impossibly (relative to any consumer-level hardware) complex light simulation, rather than a clever characteristic of light they prioritized when they designed everything. It was an observation of the quirk in their phrasing. I took the same issue with the Driveclub tech slides during their reveal after the delay.

From my point of view, I'm more impressed when it's a clever inclusion than when it's a thoughtless result of technology. I don't think anyone's meaning to be unfair or dismissive, nor saying categorically that devs shouldn't highlight what they've achieved.

I know for myself, the original qualm was only with how they described their process for the effect making it sound like it was purely the result of an impossibly (relative to any consumer-level hardware) complex light simulation, rather than a clever characteristic of light they prioritized when they designed everything. It was an observation of the quirk in their phrasing. I took the same issue with the Driveclub tech slides during their reveal after the delay.

From my point of view, I'm more impressed when it's a clever inclusion than when it's a thoughtless result of technology. I don't think anyone's meaning to be unfair or dismissive, nor saying categorically that devs shouldn't highlight what they've achieved.

I get what you mean. They're all in some way achieving their best estimation of real life events through their own unique methods, and who can say whether or not their methods are as true to life as they say, but regardless of how they're pulling it off, the results are fantastic. I mean, surely there may be a chance that someone at playground doesn't understand the atmosphere quite as much as they've tried to program into their game, and the same may also be true for the person working on driveclub that devised the technique you highlighted in your previous post, but in both cases it really may not matter in the end. They found a way. :)

I'm reminded of the first time EA implemented inverse kinetics into Fifa. It was fantastic to see players not always manage to stop on a dime and to slow down and pivot properly before changing directions. I remember the very first time 2K tried to overhaul the animation system in the 2K basketball games to make the players move more realistically. It wasn't entirely perfect, and it a lot of times led to situations where it felt like you didn't really have control, but boy did they ever refine the hell out of that system in future games. These things are never perfect, but it's great to see devs attempt to simulate them accurately within their games.

And, sure, how they actually achieved the result may not in the end be anywhere near as impressive as how they describe it, but we know these devs don't have unlimited resources, and simply do the best they can with what they have.

p3tran

Banned
compared to what? they had forza 5 engine day 1 out. the only comparable thing is nfs, which does not really even compare.

now, they can say (with pride), that on top of what they had, they can do openworld streaming@1080 and include dynamic lights and effects. (triple motherfuckin'screen too!)

from the e3 demos, I kind of see that the framerate is rock solid too.

if I was them, I'd brag a little bit more actually about tech... :)

The weather system is probably nothing more than a few variables, a couple of fudge numbers and a random timer!

It's most likely more complex than that but nowhere near as advanced as they make it sound.

In the last video or two, they mention that there are rally cars and with the new freedom of driving across most areas, I expect rally racing to be integrated into the base package, with DLC to cover the cost of licensing the more popular cars everyone wants to use. Got a good feeling about it. With weather in the mix, I hope they're giving mud a shot just like I hope they add in more believable surfaces to interact with, like gravel and loose dirt.

The weather system is probably nothing more than a few variables, a couple of fudge numbers and a random timer!

It's most likely more complex than that but nowhere near as advanced as they make it sound.

The base work, offline, is probably that complex, but the run-time work is dominated cheaper workarounds and hacks, otherwise driven by pre-calculated sim results in lookup tables with more basic simulation work used to determine the ones in use running underneath. Why waste valuable CPU/GPU time and memory with a range of expected results from expensive subroutines and operations? Weather isn't exactly random as it has well-understood models and it always looks off beyond an expected threshold, so keep its range limited to results that make sense. Kind of the story of computer and video games to begin with, when it comes to real-time simulations, anyway...do thing the 'right' way and then come up with the relevant results in a way that comes across much the same way in-game even if it's no longer the same process in the background, like pre-scripted collisions or destruction.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I missed that announcement. Or do you mean the quick snippet in the AMA?

Does that mean there are no Horizon 1 rally-esque off-road trails in the open world of Horizon 2? The open world off road stuff in the first game was fun, but absolutely tame in comparison to the stuff they added in the expansion with all the various driving surfaces. My hope is that we'd at least see a significant upgrade to off-road segments in the open world, for those who loved the rally expansion the first time around.

Basically, you can still have open world rallying without specifically needing separate game modes or a co-driver.

i believe it was the quick AMA snippet.

there may be areas that feel a bit more rally with windy narrow roads and different surface types, but without a lone car doing point to point racing complete with co-driver, it just aint the same thing. they seemed to imply that the freedom to race anywhere, through fields and vineyards, scratches that rally itch... which i couldnt disagree with more. as posted, i'm more then willing to pay for rally DLC again. hopefully its better priced this time out though.

clem84

Gold Member
The scale and the amount of detail in this game is mind blowing. It gives you the impression that the world just goes on forever.

eso76

compared to what? they had forza 5 engine day 1 out. the only comparable thing is nfs, which does not really even compare.

now, they can say (with pride), that on top of what they had, they can do openworld streaming@1080 and include dynamic lights and effects. (triple motherfuckin'screen too!)

from the e3 demos, I kind of see that the framerate is rock solid too.

if I was them, I'd brag a little bit more actually about tech... :)

I think both forza series are graced with nearly impeccable tech, but sometimes devs make it sound like what we see is the result of an impossibly (and unnecessary) accurate simulation to give us the best results ever.
And then, a smaller developer's racer ends up having (for example) more realistic looking lighting despite not making claims of using any exotic tech.
Its just that. In this case I doubt simulating rainbows amounts to a lot more than placing them in the correct position relative to the sun.

HGStormy

Banned
Forza Horizon was one of the few *actual* racing games that I enjoyed (I don't think Burnout 3 counts). It was really pretty, and ran very well too. Hyped for FH2 :)

Top Bottom