• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 - 3 Gameplay videos (IGN)

Weather system sounds incredible. Also love what I'm hearing about rainwater collecting on the ground and filling in cracks in the road.

And with heavy rain comes MUD. Glorious, glorious MUD.

Hey there is a new video up with new video material...look stunning:

Horizon 2 Dynamic World

jonah_hill_1.gif

day fucking one

truth411

Flame suit on....

I personally have one big problem with this game, that being, it's ridiculous seeing lamborghinis, corvette, Ferraris etc... Going 100+mph off road. Heck if you can't go 30mph in a vineyard without breaking something (they don't even slow down off road). Being open world is fine, just that the gameplay would be better if they focused on cars that actually could race off road like a Mitsubishi evo or Subaru wrx. Compared to supercars that stays on the pavement.

Flame suit on....

I personally have one big problem with this game, that being, it's ridiculous seeing lamborghinis, corvette, Ferraris etc... Going 100+mph off road. Heck if you can't go 30mph in a vineyard without breaking something (they don't even slow down off road). Being open world is fine, just that the gameplay would be better if they focused on cars that actually could race off road like a Mitsubishi evo or Subaru wrx. Compared to supercars that stays on the pavement.

There's no need for a flame suit. It's an arcade racer, there's no need to adhere the stubborn rules by which sim racers go by.

T.O.P

Banned
A July demo would be soooooooooooo nice guys

Does anyone remember when the FH1 demo came out compared to the full game?

A July demo would be soooooooooooo nice guys

Does anyone remember when the FH1 demo came out compared to the full game?

It came out three weeks before the game.

It was an amazing demo. I wasn't interested in the series at that point as I figured it was just another Forza, but that demo was a revelation. I haven't changed my mind about a game as fast I did when I played that demo.

le-seb

There's literally only one thing that gives away that it's not real and that's the slight shimmering aliasing + glow on the edges of the vents.
Come on, man, you're losing control over hyperbole levels.

The first unrealistic thing I notice on this clip is neither the shimmering nor the aliasing, but saturated as hell colours, giving some cartoon feeling to the whole scene.
It's a really good looking game, but there's literally no way it could pass for reality.

derFeef

The first unrealistic thing I notice on this clip is neither the shimmering nor the aliasing, but saturated as hell colours, giving some cartoon feeling to the whole scene.
It's a really good looking game, but there's literally no way it could pass for reality.

It's almost cell-shaded, yeah.

T.O.P

Banned
Gotta say, one of my most anticipated things about this game is the soundtrack lol

H1 had some sick tunes, cruising casually with friends is some of the best mp experiences from last gen

Mullah88

Based on that tiny gif you can see them impact, and the beads either shift or collapse as the surface tension gets hit by more rain. It looks pretty close to that in real-life.

I dont think rain disappears when they hit a surface in real life, look at the bottom right corner of that gif. irl it collects and drips down (even moreso on a slopped surface), what i see on that gif is rain drops hitting the car and disappearing...also from a couple of game play clips we've seen, while the cars are doing 110mph the rain drops on the vehicles are static, theyre not being effected by wind.

VanWinkle

Do we know if rain will be the only weather type? I mean, I'm not necessarily expecting snow or hail or anything, but would maybe fog be a given? Would love to see a fast paced race where you can only see about 50 feet in front of you, haha.

klodeckel

Banned
Do we know if rain will be the only weather type? I mean, I'm not necessarily expecting snow or hail or anything, but would maybe fog be a given? Would love to see a fast paced race where you can only see about 50 feet in front of you, haha.

“[Weather is] something which fans have been asking for, for a long time,” says Forza Horizon 2 creative director Ralph Fulton. “[It’s] something which fits our world perfectly; the temperate climate of southern Europe – the changeable weather conditions – it meant we had to look at creating a realistic, physically-modelled atmospheric simulation.”

“That’s about the sky. That’s about the particles in it. That’s about the clouds. That’s about changing dynamic weather conditions: fog, mist, rain, wind. Combining all of those so that not only is the gameplay experience changing as you drive around the world – changing up the handling, changing up the visibility – it’s also changing the beauty of the world you’re seeing.”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/18/forza-horizon-2as-radical-new-weather-ign-first

I think there aren't "fixed" weather situation in this game. Sounds like it's dynamic based on different factors. Rain will not always be just rain. It will be different every time. Add some wind - and you have a completely different situation. Heavy rain. At night. Cloudy. Light rain with fog. And so on ...

Kayant

I take it you're not looking at the background then?

For me the rain and the way it stays on the rooftop is the bigger way having said that the game truly looks beautiful also chalk me up for someone who doesn't like the colours.
I love colours but to me it's looks too "plastic"

I think you could add lighting and thunder for effects given thunder was hinted in the reveal trailer and am guessing lighting will also be there.

I can't believe that's footage from a game, let alone a console game on the supposedly weaker machine.

That's why I don't really pay attention to the console wars crap.

Look at some of the games the Wii U is putting out. In terms of the almighty "gap", the Wii U is several steps BENEATH the Xbox One technologically. That's not stopping Ninty from making some gorgeous looking games.

XONE games will continue to get better, weaker specs considered and cast aside.

Gestault

No, real-life. I wasn't a fan of the implementation in GT, even though for the sake of a bullet-point, it does what we're talking about here.

This is normal gameplay speed, btw:
iudXN5IKUoZVu.gif

(At full-size it looked also like oversized squares, too.)

I'm still a PGR man, for loving my rain effects.

The trees look far too detailed to be GT.

The only saturated thing seems to be the car, and that's because it's a crazy shade of yellow. Everything else is fine colour wise, it's not like the world loses colour in the rain.

I take it you're not looking at the background then?

I am looking at the background and it looks great.

EDIT:
@Above: The main shortcomings in GT's rain are the wipers. The raindrops would look fine if they were smaller, but the wipers look like they're running 30fps animations in a (mostly) 60fps game and they make the game's screen tearing REALLY noticable. There's only like 10 frames of that gif where the wipers are actually in one piece.

I can't remember which interview it was, but apparently half of the barn finds are completely new cars to the Forza franchise.

Well that's one way to make sure people hunt them down. I do hope they are much harder to find in H2 though. I didn't feel like they hid them well enough in H1.

Gestault

Well that's one way to make sure people hunt them down. I do hope they are much harder to find in H2 though. I didn't feel like they hid them well enough in H1.

Probably like 90% of my enjoyment of the more recent Need For Speed Most Wanted was just searching for the cars hidden in the environment. It scratches the same sort of "itch" as the agility orbs for Crackdown. I love it when they do it right in these arcade-style open-world games.

le-seb

The only saturated thing seems to be the car, and that's because it's a crazy shade of yellow. Everything else is fine colour wise, it's not like the world loses colour in the rain.
Maybe it's not colour saturation and they just cranked contrast up to 11, but there's obviously something very off in this scene's lighting.

That's what Tuscany looks like in the summer, by the way:
Pienza_italy.jpg

Notice how the olive trees look dark in the game, although they're quite light in the real life.

Top Bottom