• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 couple of screens of the PC graphics settings

Derp

I have to decide which monitor I want to use now... 4k60 or 1440p165 w/ gsync. Visuals or fluidity. Input lag or no input lag. TN or IPS.

Halp.

Evo X

I have to decide which monitor I want to use now... 4k60 or 1440p165 w/ gsync. Visuals or fluidity. Input lag or no input lag. TN or IPS.

Halp.

Split the difference and pick up an ultrawide 3440x1440 100hz GSYNC IPS.

taimoorh

Halp.

I've seen 4k 27-inch screens and honestly, you're not getting the wow factor there for games. For 4k videos, and actual work (video/ image renders) yes, but not games.

For a desktop monitor, you're MUCH better off with higher frame rates. Trust me once you play on 144hz going back to 60hz, even in a strategy game like DOTA 2, I notice the 60fps and feel irritated it's not smooth with particle effects.

For my TV with 4K HDR, I can lower things down to 60fps and still feel fine. It's usually for action games, racing, etc. Also on the TV it can interpolate to 120hz so it helps a bit.

Tl;dr - 144hz on desktop monitor/ 4k on TV

EDIT: TN panels are not bad at all nowadays, although IPS still gives better colours. From what I have read, though, Gsync and IPS panels do suffer from some input lag, compared to 1ms on TN panels that go 120/144/165hz.

dr_rus

What's framerate smoothing do?
Buffer frames to smooth out the hitches probably. Less hitches but more input lag, as usual with such things.

Microsoft still hasn't fixed this shit about 'no overlay working on UWP games' even though they promised it eons ago
Overlays work on UWP games just fine (DXtory, Action are couple of examples), an overlay must support UWP though and RTSS doesn't.

This is my biggest gripe with UWP atm. Having to rely on shitty ingame framerate limiters is fucked up.
You can try driver's frame limiter, it will work for UWP.

Vitor711

What's the cheapest way to get this game on PC? Can I buy a physical Xbone version and be guaranteed the code? Because that's cheaper than getting it directly from the MS store...

Condom

165Hz + Gsync incoming

tumblr_nwzzyjRMSP1sm5n1so1_500.gif

damn son

Derp

Split the difference and pick up an ultrawide 3440x1440 100hz GSYNC IPS.

I've seen 4k 27-inch screens and honestly, you're not getting the wow factor there for games. For 4k videos, and actual work (video/ image renders) yes, but not games.

For a desktop monitor, you're MUCH better off with higher frame rates. Trust me once you play on 144hz going back to 60hz, even in a strategy game like DOTA 2, I notice the 60fps and feel irritated it's not smooth with particle effects.

For my TV with 4K HDR, I can lower things down to 60fps and still feel fine. It's usually for action games, racing, etc. Also on the TV it can interpolate to 120hz so it helps a bit.

Tl;dr - 144hz on desktop monitor/ 4k on TV

EDIT: TN panels are not bad at all nowadays, although IPS still gives better colours. From what I have read, though, Gsync and IPS panels do suffer from some input lag, compared to 1ms on TN panels that go 120/144/165hz.

I probably should've mentioned I have both :p I'm just trying to decide which one I'm of them I'm going to use once the game hits.

Any news on wheel support ? If my G29 works fine and the force feedback is not shit I will play it on my TV otherwise I'll just go with controller and 1440p 144hz on my monitor.

Theorry

Any news on wheel support ? If my G29 works fine and the force feedback is not shit I will play it on my TV otherwise I'll just go with controller and 1440p 144hz on my monitor.

G29 is supported yeah. Its the same wheels as Forza Apex and we get some more i believe.

Vuze

You can try driver's frame limiter, it will work for UWP.
Do you know how to properly cap framerate on driver level for Nvidia? Nvidia Inspectors limiter stopped working for me few weeks ago and just completly fucks up the game profile once I try to mess with the framerate limiter (had to reinstall driver twice now since it wouldn't let me reset the limit).

Theorry

That screen looks abit low res for some reason. I have Xbox screens that look way better.
Hopefully Karak can make soms screens soon. If he is allowed. :)

Peterthumpa

There's absolutely no way I believe this screen after playing Apex. This looks like 720p wit medium settings, looks way worse than the Xbox One version in fact.

strata8

That screen looks abit low res for some reason. I have Xbox screens that look way better.
Hopefully Karak can make soms screens soon. If he is allowed. :)

There's absolutely no way I believe this screen after playing Apex. This looks like 720p wit medium settings, looks way worse than the Xbox One version in fact.

That shot has both MSAA and FXAA turned on, which probably explains the funky image quality, FXAA can actually make things look worse if you apply it to an image that's already been anti-aliased.

taimoorh

I probably should've mentioned I have both :p I'm just trying to decide which one I'm of them I'm going to use once the game hits.

Ugh, you rich bastard!

Play on both and then tell us peasants which one is better!!! I'm assuming the 4K is a desktop, not a TV?

PG2G

What's the cheapest way to get this game on PC? Can I buy a physical Xbone version and be guaranteed the code? Because that's cheaper than getting it directly from the MS store...

There is no code. Think of it like buying a game on an app store, you buy it once it is tied to your account and available on all supported devices. Physical copy gets none of the benefits, it's a normal physical Xbox game.

Do you know how to properly cap framerate on driver level for Nvidia? Nvidia Inspectors limiter stopped working for me few weeks ago and just completly fucks up the game profile once I try to mess with the framerate limiter (had to reinstall driver twice now since it wouldn't let me reset the limit).

I use Riva Tuner to set a fps cap.

On the contary, i went from an asus pg278q to the 279q which is IPS. The 9q actually has less input lag than the 8q which is tn making it slightly faster even factoring in the increased g2g response time. Source tftcentral.

vac

Neo Member
What exactly does the "Dynamic Optimisation" do?

Also can we have more in-game screens pretty please :)

Theorry

Have you played Redout? Smashing that game out at 1440p 130-150fps with gsync is just a zen like experience.

I guess it is. :)

What exactly does the "Dynamic Optimisation" do?

Also can we have more in-game screens pretty please :)

Abit like dynamic resolutions on consoles. That it drops some graphic stuff if it sees the framerate is gonna go under the desisred framerate to keep that framerate.

You want to use ULMB if you can get fps higher than the freshrate constantly, GSync will be useless in that case.
This times a million.
I guess it is. :)

Abit like dynamic resolutions on consoles. That it drops some graphic stuff if it sees the framerate is gonna go under the desisred framerate to keep that framerate.
I don't really understand why then you can choose a target render quality of 'Ultra' etc. Surely it tries to maintain the best settings possible while hitting the target framerate?

ISee

System Requirements are now up on the store page.
(Wasn't able to find them a couple of hours earlier... but maybe it was just my stupidity)

Just in case:

Minimum

i5 3570
R7 250X, 750 Ti
8GB System Ram
2GB Video Ram
DX11

Recommended

i7 3820
Nvidia: 970, 1060
AMD: 290X, 480
12GB System Ram
4GB Video Ram
DX11

'Just' DX11? That's a bit surprising. Not that I'm complaining, it's just unexpected.

(Wasn't able to find them a couple of hours earlier... but maybe it was just my stupidity)

Just in case:

Minimum

i5 3570
R7 250X, 750 Ti
8GB System Ram
2GB Video Ram
DX11

Recommended

i7 3820
12GB System Ram
4GB Video Ram
DX11

'Just' DX11? That's a bit surprising. Not that I'm complaining, it's just unexpected.

Huh, interesting. It's pretty similar with Forza Apex specs.

In fact, the only difference is the minimum CPU requirement (i5 instead of i3).

dr_rus

Driver's limiter doesn't provide any frame time correction and as such won't be as effective in providing smooth frametimes as RTSS. Did you try the v2 of frame limiter? Can't say that I have any issues with it beyond the usual frametime judder. Anyway, some limiter issues should be fixed today I think.

This looks like a non-native res shot being rescaled to your display size. Have you tried turning all the dynamic quality / res optimizations off?

It is DirectX feature level 11. Not DirectX 11. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D#Direct3D_12 Though DirectX 11 does have a feature level 11 I'm pretty sure it means Direct3D 12 feature level 11.

Yep, you're right, it's DX12 FL11_0, meaning that the game will run on Kepler cards.

Doikor

Just in case:

Minimum

i5 3570
R7 250X, 750 Ti
8GB System Ram
2GB Video Ram
DX11

Recommended

i7 3820
12GB System Ram
4GB Video Ram
DX11

It is DirectX feature level 11. Not DirectX 11. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D#Direct3D_12 Though DirectX 11 does have a feature level 11 I'm pretty sure it means Direct3D 12 feature level 11.

This looks like a non-native res shot being rescaled to your display size. Have you tried turning all the dynamic quality / res optimizations off?

I thought so. I remember that there's that setting on Apex as well.

It basically set the graphics & resolution settings to achieve desired/maximum performance, including lowering the resolution.

tuna_love

Banned

Just in case:

Minimum

i5 3570
R7 250X, 750 Ti
8GB System Ram
2GB Video Ram
DX11

Recommended

i7 3820
12GB System Ram
4GB Video Ram
DX11

im pretty sure its dx12, i think the gears page says dx11 as well

Top Bottom