• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

My Setup:

680GTX 2GB...
i5 3570K
16GB DDR3 RAM
Game is install on WD Black Cavier

Welp, I can run the game but most settings have to be low. with like very few at medium...@1080p. The moment I start adjusting after playing for like a few mins I get video memory warning on my screen and the game goes downhill from there.

Low doesn't look as bad as it does but the foliage and stuff is not good looking and the jaggies!

I'll be playing this on X1 till I can upgrade to my components. Which is something I have been wanting to do for a few months now...but still holding on...it gets worse with each new game release.

Qassim

So.

I tried it this morning and had the slight but regular stutters, heart sank (been really looking forward to this game).

Got back, made sure G-Sync windowed mode was on (and made sure it was working in game), selected the enable maximum performance flag on the FH3 profile, went in the game.

That regular annoying stutter has gone. Now, it's not perfectly smooth, there is some hitching every now and then which I hope gets fixed - but I'm happy to play it like this - it's better than 30fps, I'm getting around 60-70fps average, sometimes dips to the high 50fps or so. On the 'default' Ultra preset (not dynamic) 2560x1440, 980Ti 1475Mhz, 4770K @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, installed on an SSD, etc.

Now, I haven't spent much time in the towns so it could change, in certain places, but yeah, I'm reasonably satisfied.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I still can't believe the performance I had during one of my races last night. At one point they let you set the parameters for a race and I set it for morning with light rain in the city. The game simply couldn't stream stuff at a decent rate, causing the game to drop down to around 45fps and then right back up to 60fps. This was happening every 3-5 seconds. Unplayable. It had been running decently up to that point other than some minor hitching issues.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Turns out it is the same as Apex :( Anyone else have this issue? I can't believe it would carry over to Horizon without being picked up.

On the plus side performance seems pretty solid: i6700K @ 4.5Ghz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200, GTX1080 seems to be smooth 60fps @ 2560 x 1440 but I've only had a few minutes with it.

Installed APEX this weekend.

1440P + 144hz freesync
AMD 290X
2600K@ 4.8

above 100fps with maxed settings. Not a single issue.

RyudBoy

I'm bummed out from reading all of these negative impressions. What's the deal with sites like Gamersyde posting videos of the game running smoothly (post nvidia drivers update) and now so many people experiencing issues here? :/

I might just avoid the PC version and start with XB1 first.

dr_rus

I'm bummed out from reading all of these negative impressions. What's the deal with sites like Gamersyde posting videos of the game running smoothly (post nvidia drivers update) and now so many people experiencing issues here? :/

I might just avoid the PC version and start with XB1 first.

Have you actually watched these videos? Even the updated one from Gamersyde shows pretty apparent microstuttering almost all the time.

robotrock

Banned
This game doesn't quite run as well as I had hoped! Can't get a constant 60 on medium + dynamic optimization on my 970. Think it's worth moving the game to my SSD?

jim2011

I can't get a stable 60fps on my 980ti (6700 CPU) in 1080p on high but 4K at 30fps is pretty solid on high. Think that's the way to go?

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Sweet looking game, runs absolutely flawless for me.

i5 6600k
GTX 1070 8GB
16 GB DDR4 RAM

@1080p
DRQ set to Ultra
Steady between 50-60 fps

rrs

my 2500K@4.1 maxes out in CPU quite often, esp. in the city. Also, anyone else got massive delay in car tuning selections?

Finally got round to trying the game out. 6 core Xeon at 4.2GHz. 980Ti at 1550/4000. Ultra 4K 4xMSAA.

Hovering around 55fps mostly and drops to high 40's in the forest. Haven't been to the city yet though. For now I have locked at 30fps which is still quite nice with the motion blurring and IQ is good.

Did get a BSOD though LOL, which looks to be a QPI voltage problem which would make sense as the game is RAM heavy. I have upped the voltage a couple of notches and am going back in!

Will play around with settings and framerate some more when I get further into the game / the city.

Edit - also no stuttering that i've noticed. Latest Nvidia drivers and 'prefer max performance' set in control panel. What's weird is I got the BSOD just at the same time as my internet went down. But that could just be coincidence.

Lettuce

Getting approx 45fps on High presets with 4x AA and 4x MSAA and getting a shed ton of micro stuttering!!

My Specs....
i7-4770K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 970 4GB

colour me disappointed!!!

Hmm yeah, something is up with photo mode.

The car model looked super jagged and I had to faux smooth it out.

TG0r9gN.jpg

i7 5820K at 4.0 GH
GTX 1080 FTW
16 GB RAM

Getting fluctuations in fps at 1440p maxed out, but lowest it goes is 50s, usually stays around 70, and with gsync it's barely noticeable. Also encountered some bugs with the vehicles in cutscenes, but otherwise, I'm loving this game. It's my first Forza game, and I'm in love with the amount of care they put into the game. Even with some performance hiccups, it's a fantastic game.

samred

I dove into PC performance over the past few days at Ars Technica and posted this lengthy report: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...formance-framerate-and-4k-tests-in-windows-10

If I wanted to enjoy FH3 anywhere near the rock-solid 60fps refresh that I got from Forza Apex 6 on Windows 10, I had only one option: 1080p resolution at "dynamic high" visual settings. This setting survived the Water's Way race more than any other, surpassing 1440p at "dynamic medium" and 4K at "dynamic low," and it also held up throughout the course of normal racing throughout the massive expanses of Forza's virtual Australia.

But that's not to say 1080p on "dynamic high" is a clear victory for PC gamers, at least in the PC version's launch state. Geometrical pop-in is still pretty severe in this preset, so I saw elements like houses magically appear in the game's house-loaded towns as I approached them, while elements such as trees would transform with richer-looking foliage once they were quite close to my car. What's more, I still saw out-of-nowhere hitches and stutters pretty frequently. These don't get in the way of a perfectly smooth racing experience, but they'd be more forgivable if I was pushing the edges of 4K rendering. A locked 1080p/60 shouldn't be this hard to come by on such a high-powered PC, especially after making the aforementioned visual sacrifices to get it.

Conversely, locking the Windows 10 version at 30fps—well, by golly, it works. As in, I can jack up every setting to maximum, including a staggering 4K resolution, and run FH3 at 30fps without seeing a single dip or drag into sub-30 territory. This is interesting, because the 980Ti is expressly not advertised as a 4K-ready video card—at least, not compared to this year's wave of refreshed cards—and yet my 980Ti system careens at 4K resolution with a frame rate lock to 30 in place. The effects are not insubstantial, either, and the combination of 8X MSAA, highest-res textures, highest-density foliage, and material-based lighting systems really looks unbelievable on a 4K display.

^ Yeah 4K/Locked 30fps works a treat and looks fantastic on Ultra.

I'm always a stickler for 60fps on PC but I can make an exception with this, for now!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the game have a 30fps option or do I need to fiddle with nvidia drivers? I'd rather have stable 30 than 60 with drops

GRaider81

Is "prefer max performance" in control panel for any setting in particular? I can only see it in a couple of options like texture filtering.

Does the game have a 30fps option or do I need to fiddle with nvidia drivers? I'd rather have stable 30 than 60 with drops

It has framerate locks near the VSync option. If you have a 60Hz then you can cap at 60 or 30, if you have a 144Hz you can cap at 144, 72, or 36.

Another shitty port on the Windows store then?

It's far from a shitty port. Just not quite performing as it should do in certain areas on the beefy rigs.

I'm fairly confident they will make improvements with patches though. The game seems to be very CPU bound, yet when you profile it core 1 is getting hammered. Optimization is needed for multi-core / multi-threading.

Skii

I was actually looking forward to my first proper Forza game and no surprise that Microsoft completely butchered the port. What is the point of them porting Xbox games if they all run like shit?

Guess I'll wait until the patch that might fix some of this in 2017.

Nekrono

No wonder there was no demo on PC, game is clearly optimized for Xbox and 30 FPS only.

Not much hope for my 2500k/970 combo.

DeeBatch

I5 4690K OC 4.7 ghz
R9 390
16 gig ram
SSD

I get @ 1080p 50-60 fps in ultra with 4x Msaa and Fxaa get drops in 40's .
1440P 45-52 fps drops into the high 30's
4k Ultra unlocked 34-36 fps locked smooth stable 30 fps. Think I am gunna stick with 4k for now until further patches. Oh I get no stutters btw game is always smooth .

Thought this would run like apex which has way better AA and supports multi-gpu. I get steady 4k 60fps in apex on ultra as it uses both cards. Hope they patch in Multi-Gpu soon. damn even 980Ti has to use 1080p and still not solid 60 fps..

Xbox one S version wow the HDR is excellent in it. Make sure to turn up HDR in the menu. The clouds rolling in and dimming the sunlight. The specular highlights from the sun in the water and the head light at night . This game has HDR done right I like it equally or maybe just a little more than the 4k Pc version. Now when Pc version runs 4k 60 fps on my rig things may change.. Xb1 version you can't go wrong with very good looking game.
O

CryptiK

I can turn the sound down or off? Change the volumes down to 0 but it all still blares at full. There is no app in the volume mixer, is there a way?

Also still a stuttering mess. Can run it at 4K 40-60FPS but the stutters are killing it. But I did find what seems to be causing it, it happens everytime something pops in at a distance.

Qassim

The physics, especially in the towns when you're blasting through fences n stuff seems to be where it takes a beating.

CPU core 0 is at max utilisation constantly, with others.. not so much. It feels like the multicore optimisation on the PC version at least isn't too great.

I can turn the sound down or off? Change the volumes down to 0 but it all still blares at full. There is no app in the volume mixer, is there a way?

Also still a stuttering mess. Can run it at 4K 40-60FPS but the stutters are killing it. But I did find what seems to be causing it, it happens everytime something pops in at a distance.

Do you have it installed on SSD or HDD?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's far from a shitty port. Just not quite performing as it should do in certain areas on the beefy rigs.

I'm fairly confident they will make improvements with patches though. The game seems to be very CPU bound, yet when you profile it core 1 is getting hammered. Optimization is needed for multi-core / multi-threading.

Which for a game optimised for a multi core console is pretty odd

Qassim

Which for a game optimised for a multi core console is pretty odd

Yep - that's what's odd. We've actually generally seen a pretty good multi-core optimisation since the new gen of consoles came out on AAA games, but this seems to buck the trend.

Zojirushi

So who serves the crow for the "Game will perform amazing because Forza Apex" people? Those threads were pretty funny if you had the slightest doubts about Horizon's performance.

phant0m

Is it just me or is AAA PC gaming kind of a letdown these days? I mean I've got a brand-new rig, 6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000 and an OC'd GTX 1080, and the only really graphically intensive game that really runs properly (i.e. smooth 60fps) at 1440p high/ultra settings is The Witcher 3.

Deus Ex: stutters
The Crew: stutters
UWP games: stutter
Mirror's Edge Catalyst: stutters
Assassin's Creed Syndicate: yeah OK, but not nearly the level of performance I was expecting
No Man's Sky: let's not even go there.

And now this.

The only AAA game from 2016 that seems to run really well for most people is DOOM.

I know I sound whiny and entitled, but given the money I put into my rig and the games I feel like I'm not at fault for expecting better.

E: still thinking of getting the Ultimate Edition believe it or not, I really need my open-world driving fix.

One of the reasons I kinda gave up on PC. That and managing drivers, this tweak and that tweak for certain games... I just don't have the time or patience anymore. I turn on my PS4 and press X to play.

Afro

So who serves the crow for the "Game will perform amazing because Forza Apex" people? Those threads were pretty funny if you had the slightest doubts about Horizon's performance.

Forza Apex has hitching, especially on the Brazil track. Not sure where this whole "Apex optimization is God tier" notion came from.

So has there been any word from Playground regarding these issues?

Just want to know that specific things are being acknowledged and are in the process of being addressed. That would go a long way in helping to cool tempers at the moment I think.

Zojirushi

A tip: just because you have a high-end PC doesn't mean you should turn every setting to the max. Most PC games these days come with settings that are just not worth it.

Take Syndicate for example, drop shadow quality from "PCSS ultra" to "high", and "HBAO + ultra" to just "HBAO +" and you'll gain 10 fps. With minimal impact on visuals.

Pretty sure he's talking about framepacing and not average framerate.

So no reason to buy this on a pc with 4690 and 970gtx then. Good to know.
Was looking forward to a good performing PC racer, but the crew is not optimized, TDU2 wasn't optimized, and no this game isn't optimized.

If i have to turn settings down to medium on my rig to maybe sometimes hit 60, nah. I'll pass.

Invis

Is anyone having difficulty getting this game to lock to 30fps? I have to disable full screen to get it to lock, cause setting it to 30 with vsync on or off does nothing unless I'm in windowed.

CryptiK

The physics, especially in the towns when you're blasting through fences n stuff seems to be where it takes a beating.

CPU core 0 is at max utilisation constantly, with others.. not so much. It feels like the multicore optimisation on the PC version at least isn't too great.

Do you have it installed on SSD or HDD?
Its on an SSD

Full rig:
i7-6700K
16GB RAM
980Ti Xtreme Gaming(one of the faster ones)
Latest Forza NVIDIA drivers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So has there been any word from Playground regarding these issues?

Just want to know that specific things are being acknowledged and are in the process of being addressed. That would go a long way in helping to cool tempers at the moment I think.

Extra annoying for anyone that stumped up for the ultimate edition. Perhaps we should have realised the potential to be disappointed

squared

Hmm yeah, something is up with photo mode.

The car model looked super jagged and I had to faux smooth it out.

Yeah, I posted about it on the previous page - I'm convinced now that there's something weird about photo mode. I've tried different camera settings, different locations and cars, and it just doesn't look good at all. FH2 on X1 looked way better. Something's wrong, or something.

I get an average framerate of about 55-65 FPS with 1080p Ultra (MSAA x4) and 1440p (MSAA and FXAA off).

RX 480, i7 6700 @ 4.4 ghz, 16GB DDR4 @ 2400 mhz, SSD.

But during certain sections that seem to load in new assets, the framerate takes a cringey dive into about 45. Like during the helicopter race at the start, as you take a right-turner after the beach.

This shit seems to happen no matter what settings I use. Heck, turning off shadows hardly makes a difference from low, which itself doesn't even gain 10 fps from ultra.

But when I lock it at 30FPS, then I can cram everything up and it runs pretty damn smooth.

Gonna try the Xbox version now. See how it compares.

SliChillax

Forza Apex has hitching, especially on the Brazil track. Not sure where this whole "Apex optimization is God tier" notion came from.

Because people are obsessed with fps numbers which Apex excelled at ignoring frame times stuttering and overall lag.

Qassim

Pretty sure he's talking about framepacing and not average framerate.

It's still valid, you can have settings which would affect framepacing and frametimes more so than average framerate. One recent example for me would be the Foliage Visibility Range setting in The Witcher 3, having it on Very High was fine in terms of average framerate, but it provided more unpredictable and stuttery frames so I left it on High.

Top Bottom