• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So whats the deal with SLI? I still have two 2GB 680's running with a 4.5 Ghz 3930k but waiting to get a 6GB 1060. Wondered how it would run until I get one.

Just tried the game for 45 minutes.

- i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz
- 16Gb RAM
- GTX 1080 @ 2Ghz, latest drivers
- Installed to SSD
- 144 hz monitor

But I'm getting slowdowns and stutters intermittently, the FPS counter is usually between 60 to 100 on Ultra, 1080p. But it's not smooth, even though the FPS doesn't dip below 60..

Just read that "Prefer Maximum Performance" thing, gonna try after work!

But another thing - does the game lag A LOT for any of you in the Custom upgrade menus, especially when selecting wheels? It takes over a second to scroll between two different wheels, and no previous Forza game have lagged that bad on the Xbox (been play FM since the very first one).

You have a very similar system to my own: I have an i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW and the game is installed to a 7,200rpm Western Digital Black hard drive (though I may move it to the SSD if the loading times are too long). I will be playing the game at 2560x1440 on a 25" 60Hz display though so as long as it keeps 60 fps then I'll be happy.

The Xbox One version feels silky-smooth and responsive at 30 fps in the demo but I know from personal experience that 30 fps on the PC tends to be a bit unbearable for whatever reason (games tend to feel laggy and in motion they don't look so smooth).

Looking forward to playing this game very much although I will have to wait until midnight on Tuesday to be able to play it as I drew the line at forking out £80 for a digital Ultimate Edition and went with the standard edition instead (which still costs an eye-watering £50 here in the UK).

Tankshell

Just bit the bullet and ordered an EVGA 1080 SC, arrives tomorrow. A nice upgrade from my 780Ti... hopefully I can stick it on ultra when that arrives!

EDIT - and got a free copy of Gears of War 4 to boot!

went down to medium and performance was still too spotty for my liking on my 970/2500k combo. Oddly Ultra stays perfectly locked on 30fps if I set it to that. felt like sludge initially but the lack of fluctuation is a lot more palatable. wish i could play at 60

saladine1

Just tried the game for 45 minutes.

- i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz
- 16Gb RAM
- GTX 1080 @ 2Ghz, latest drivers
- Installed to SSD
- 144 hz monitor

But I'm getting slowdowns and stutters intermittently, the FPS counter is usually between 60 to 100 on Ultra, 1080p. But it's not smooth, even though the FPS doesn't dip below 60..

Just read that "Prefer Maximum Performance" thing, gonna try after work!

But another thing - does the game lag A LOT for any of you in the Custom upgrade menus, especially when selecting wheels? It takes over a second to scroll between two different wheels, and no previous Forza game have lagged that bad on the Xbox (been play FM since the very first one).

Yep. The upgrades section is really laggy. Quite annoying to say the least.

robatw

2600k, gtx980 here

it doesn't really matter if i go to medium or high. it is at 60fps but when i go into the city with a lot of cars on screen it dips to ~42-45

i don't understand. i just want steady 60fps

Theorry

went down to medium and performance was still too spotty for my liking on my 970/2500k combo. Oddly Ultra stays perfectly locked on 30fps if I set it to that. felt like sludge initially but the lack of fluctuation is a lot more palatable. wish i could play at 60

2600k, gtx980 here

it doesn't really matter if i go to medium or high. it is at 60fps but when i go into the city with a lot of cars on screen it dips to ~42-45

i don't understand. i just want steady 60fps

You guys tried this already? "Prefer Maximum Performance" in Nvidia control panel,

The framedrops in the city and the streaming stutter are unfixable right now, probably have to wait for a patch, an improvement to multithread performance should do it.

furfoots

Lack of benchmarking from hardware sites to back this up but I'm speculating that DX12 on marvel cards is underperforming here. Pascal 1080/1070 will brute force fine at 60fps for both 1080p/1440p after applying the "max performance" fix.

Going to anything store related from in the game makes it crash for me.

i5 2500K
GTX 970 4GB
8GB RAM
Samsung 850 EVO

1920x1080
VSync
Motion Blur
Dynamic Optimisation set to High.

Just got to Surfer's Paradise. Still maintaining locked 30 after reading it was a dodgy area.

It's a shame. I can do ultra at nearly locked 30 or high at nearly locked 60. I might be just a patch away from having two more options.

PSA: It is 2016... get 16GB of RAM. RAM is super cheap right now. Your minimum frames will be improved, especially if you are CPU bound (i5/i3/non K model).

I have 8gb RAM aswell and even though I would like to upgrade it's a lose-lose situation for me :/ I only have two working RAM slots (longer story) and these are currently occupied with 2x 4gb 2133mhz DDR3 RAM. Now I would like to upgrade to 16gb 2400mhz DDR3 RAM. So in essence I have to buy new DDR3 RAM for 75€, throw my current 8GB RAM away and when I buy a new CPU/mobo next year I have to throw the newly bought RAM away too because DDR4 :/

But yeah either way I'm looking forward to Tuesday, I'm sure I will get it to run nicely one way or another as I have a i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz and a GTX 1070 :p

Also I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the main thread but how exactly would I go about buying from the Singapore store on PC? Do I simply purchase gift-cards on Play-Asia, change my region to Singapore in Windows and then buy away?

Deepo

The Maximize Performance setting in NVCP does help make sure your GPU is working at max, but it doesn't help in the CPU limited areas, like Surfers Paradise. At least that's my experience. Dropping to High seems to fix it though. Makes me wonder what it takes to run it at 60 at Ultra. Hoping for a patch.

Is it just me or is AAA PC gaming kind of a letdown these days? I mean I've got a brand-new rig, 6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000 and an OC'd GTX 1080, and the only really graphically intensive game that really runs properly (i.e. smooth 60fps) at 1440p high/ultra settings is The Witcher 3.

Deus Ex: stutters
The Crew: stutters
UWP games: stutter
Mirror's Edge Catalyst: stutters
Assassin's Creed Syndicate: yeah OK, but not nearly the level of performance I was expecting
No Man's Sky: let's not even go there.

And now this.

The only AAA game from 2016 that seems to run really well for most people is DOOM.

I know I sound whiny and entitled, but given the money I put into my rig and the games I feel like I'm not at fault for expecting better.

E: still thinking of getting the Ultimate Edition believe it or not, I really need my open-world driving fix.

Is it just me or is AAA PC gaming kind of a letdown these days? I mean I've got a brand-new rig, 6600K, 16GB DDR4-3000 and an OC'd GTX 1080, and the only really graphically intensive game that really runs properly (i.e. smooth 60fps) at 1440p high/ultra settings is The Witcher 3.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate: yeah OK, but not nearly the level of performance I was expecting

And now this.

The only AAA game from 2016 that seems to run really well for most people is DOOM.

I know I sound whiny and entitled, but given the money I put into my rig and the games I feel like I'm not at fault for expecting better.

Yep, that's why I'm also getting a ps4 pro. Sure it may not be native 4k but at least it'll always work. Also learned my lesson with SLI

Lack of benchmarking from hardware sites to back this up but I'm speculating that DX12 on marvel cards is underperforming here. Pascal 1080/1070 will brute force fine at 60fps for both 1080p/1440p after applying the "max performance" fix.

If you mean Maxwell at least my 960 can handle high settings at 1080p with pretty good results. 970 should be able to to keep 60fps outside of the city with ultra.

Afro

And now this.

I'm dreaming of the day where all games run buttery smooth w/ perfect frame pacing e.g. Overwatch, BF1, etc. Should be the #1 priority when porting/developing a game for PC imo. Sad that this isn't the case.

derExperte

I have 8gb RAM aswell and even though I would like to upgrade it's a lose-lose situation for me :/ I only have two working RAM slots (longer story) and these are currently occupied with 2x 4gb 2133mhz DDR3 RAM. Now I would like to upgrade to 16gb 2400mhz DDR3 RAM. So in essence I have to buy new DDR3 RAM for 75€, throw my current 8GB RAM away and when I buy a new CPU/mobo next year I have to throw the newly bought RAM away too because DDR4 :/?

You could, uh, sell your old RAM instead of throwing it away.

I have a laptop from earlier in this year and judging by what all you guys with beefy PC's are saying I am holding out 0 hope of being able to run the game even on the same level as the Xbone. latest i5 16GBram and 960m 4GB do I have a chance of it even running like the xbone version or is that a pipe dream?

Papacheeks

Banned
So is this another instance of a poorly done port? From what I'v read throughout this thread people with I7's getting maxed out thread usage on a racing game that technically isn't as impressive as other PC racers is concerning.

God I hope gears 4 runs well. From what I'v seen it looks like you get get locked 60fps easily, but I hope they fix the performance issues on this as I want Forza as well this fall.

You could, uh, sell your old RAM instead of throwing it away.

Well of course, "throwing it away" was more figuratively speaking, normally I always pass hardware down to friends in need of a upgrade for cheap but this time they are all already on Skylake for one reason or another. I guess I could try to eBay it but I'm not sure if that's really worth it considering how cheap it is to buy new RAM right now. What could I reasonably ask for for used 8GB DDR3, 25€?

derExperte

Well of course, "throwing it away" was more figuratively speaking, normally I always pass hardware down to friends in need of a upgrade for cheap but this time they are all already on Skylake for one reason or another. I guess I could try to eBay it but I'm not sure if that's really worth it considering how cheap it is to buy new RAM right now. What could I reasonably ask for for used 8GB DDR3, 25€?

Getting 30€ for 2133 DDR3 should be no problem and while there you could look for a cheap used 16GB kit. Also 2400MHz is a waste of money, just buy something like this or that one

Getting 30€ for 2133 DDR3 should be no problem and while there you could look for a cheap used 16GB kit? Also 2400MHz is a waste of money, just buy something like this or that one

Hmm I suppose that sounds like a plan, thanks! :) Although I really want to keep atleast 2133mhz because higher-frequency RAM helps to un-bottleneck overclocked CPUs a bit, especially with newer cards like the 1070. I'll look into used RAM.

ekim

And now this.

E: still thinking of getting the Ultimate Edition believe it or not, I really need my open-world driving fix.

I feel you. The only game I played in the last months that worked as expected was Overwatch. Oh and Doom.

dmix90

Hmm. Looks like game physics is tied to framerate? When there is a framerate drop( no matter how small even 1-2fps ) world around you slowdowns as well and then goes back to normal when framerate is stable. This happens with 30fps lock and with 60fps lock as well. Anyone else seeing this? The fuck?

First impressions: shit tier port. Game also crashes to desktop when you try start game from menu if microphone is enabled in windows privacy settings. Need to see how X1 version holds up...

6700k@4.5ghz, 16GB, GTX 970@1506mhz

Spasm

Didn't have much time before work this morning, but initially, it appears to run much worse on my AMD RX480 8Gb than F6: Apex does.

Both games are max settings at 1920x1200. Newest AMD drivers installed.

F6:A ~90fps
FH3 ~50fps

I'll try more tweeking after work.

Hmm. Looks like game physics is tied to framerate? When there is a framerate drop( no matter how small even 1-2fps ) world around you slowdowns as well and then goes back to normal when framerate is stable. This happens with 30fps lock and with 60fps lock as well. Anyone else seeing this? The fuck?

First impressions: shit tier port. Game also crashes to desktop when you try start game from menu if microphone is enabled in windows privacy settings. Need to see how X1 version holds up...

6700k@4.5ghz, 16GB, GTX 970@1506mhz

You have the exact same config that I have after upgrading, not really happy hearing this.

And now this.

DOOM is actually the only game that I have right now that stutters for me. Can't fix it for the life of me. :/ Really want to finish the game too.

Syndicate runs ok for me though. No stuttering.

Apex a UWP game is one of the best optimized games I've ever played, beaten only by Mad Max ATM. No stuttering.

KI works perfectly as well, another UWP game.

I don't think it's as simple as UWP stutters. It can be for a multitude of reasons. I'm going to give them till official launch before I start throwing a fit. This may seem harsh but I don't feel bad for anyone who preordered a really expensive version of the game just to play it early without waiting for benchmarks and performance impressions from reviewers first. At this point I can't help but think that you knew what you where getting yourself into and had to have known it was a gamble. I mean, the ultimate version ain't cheap and you'd think that you would have put some thought behind it and understood that MS's endeavor into UWP play anywhere gaming is pretty new. I mean, even experienced devs outside of UWP in the PC field still put out messes occasionally as PC peeps very well know.

Also,

Just for information: You can get a refund up to 7 days after release due to technical problems according to Microsoft support.

I have been having a nightmare just getting it downloaded..never mind running it... Support says I'm good for a refund up to 7 days after release....

If that helps any.. :(

Is this confirmed?

hwalker84

Maybe I'm in the minority here but generally if I'm on steam, Origins, Uplay, Windows Store, etc. I don't have issues with my games. Though I do work in the IT field my PC's are kept well maintained. I've had zero issues downloading, running, or having games crash from the Windows store.

I didn't have stuttering issues with Deus Ex or Mirror Edge.

Seems to me like for some reason the game isn't fully utilizing my GPU. Apex ran like a dream with everything cranked and not a single frame under 60. This game I do see drops with everything cranked though it never gets under 40 fps. I did change my Nvidia control panel setting do performance. That didn't seem to do much but I'll have to play more to find out. I wouldn't even come close to calling this a shit tier port. I'd say it's a patch or two from perfection in my 2 hours.

And now this.

A tip: just because you have a high-end PC doesn't mean you should turn every setting to the max. Most PC games these days come with settings that are just not worth it.

Take Syndicate for example, drop shadow quality from "PCSS ultra" to "high", and "HBAO + ultra" to just "HBAO +" and you'll gain 10 fps. With minimal impact on visuals.

veidi

I just have some hours today to play this, but the micro stutters are a real turn off for me =(
It destroys the gameplay for me....
Think I´ll play on my Xbox till this get fixed.

My setup:
i7 6700K
GTX970
latest drivers

The game is running better for me w/ v-sync on. I tried it with unlocked framerate to see how high it would go, but the stutter was so bad it felt like the car was rubber banding.

Then I capped the framerate at 60 (I have a 60 hz display) and turned on v-sync and it smoothed out considerably.

I haven't spent a lot of time around surfer's paradise, but I haven't seen any major dips in framerate there yet.

i bought the poor mans version, so dont get early access. but curious to see how 4k performance is at 4k

apex runs amazing on my rig, so hoping to run some settings down and get something comparable here

TheRed

So yea just started playing this on my I5 4670k and gtx 1080 and at unlocked or 60 framerate there is tons of stuttering even when I kept lowering the resolution. But I cranked it up to 4K and locked it at 30 and looks gorgeous and runs perfectly. I'll just keep playing it like this and enjoy it and wait for a patch to fix the higher framerate stuttering later.
Menus when customizing are dreadfully slow even on an SSD.

EvB

Didn't have much time before work this morning, but initially, it appears to run much worse on my AMD RX480 8Gb than F6: Apex does.

Both games are max settings at 1920x1200. Newest AMD drivers installed.

F6:A ~90fps
FH3 ~50fps

I'll try more tweeking after work.

Why is that any surprise?

It performs worse than Forza 6 does on Xbox, that's to be expected of an open world game surely?

dr_rus

Yes.

This is a driver issue if you need to turn this on. Something is stalling performance, you'll probably see your GPU stuck at a low% of utilization on afterburner.
Unlikely to be a driver issue as you'd think they would fix it in the driver released specifically for the game. If all else fails they tend to just set the maximum performance for a game in it's driver profile themselves. It's more likely that the game itself is doing something funky which result in the GPU boost misbehaving.

Ok, in summary

Gears of War Ultimate Edition in Windows Store has stuttering when streaming assets
Forza 6 Apex in Windows Store has framepacing issues and stuttering when streaming assets
Forza Horizon 3 in Windows Store has stuttering when streaming assets
The Windows Store itself has stuttering when downloading games

Great work ms

The funniest part here is that DX12 (and Vulkan, and Mantle) was promoted as a way of fixing those hitches caused by those bad IHV drivers. Going great so far!

robjn3

Anyone else's game crash at the playground icon and goes back to desktop on start up? It starts after i restart my PC, I don't get it!?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can now confirm that turning off Dynamic Rendering and setting MSAA to 8x fixed the pixelization issue on the right hand side of the screen for my 21:9 monitor.

Also can confirm that framerate stays consistent at 60 on Ultra except when in the city, where it stumbles to the mid 40's(at least in open exploration, maybe worse in races?)

i7-6700k
GTX 1080
16gb RAM

Also, my Ult. DLC unlocks are N/A as well. Says owned on storefront, but asks me to purchase when trying to click into them.

Anyone else have a ton of pop in? doesn't really matter what I set it to there always seems to be quite a bit, is it just the game itself?

Quite a lot for me as well, trying not to get distracted by it but it's pretty hard when the horizon (heh) is nothing but trees popping in and out.

I don't remember it being bad on Forza Horizon 2 to bother me, maybe something is bugged? I'm considering migrating it to an SSD to see.

squared

Well, I changed to Prefer Maximum Performance and Single Display Performance in Nvidia Control Panel, AND locked V-Sync to 48 FPS, and now it's solid 48 FPS and very, very little stutter, which happens every now and then. So better, even though it's not 60 fps. But it's stable, which I really want. This is with 8x MSAA too.

But photo mode.. it looks.. bad? I googled quickly and found a few people on the official forums with the same issue. It looks kinda worse than ingame? There's a very vaseline-type of effect, like the camera has missed focus almost. I refocus numerous times with X, but no difference. Anyone experiencing the same? And FXAA is off btw.

Are photos saved locally on the PC somewhere, or do they have to be uploaded and downloaded again? If so, that's pretty unneccessary...

It seems the 970gtx is now really dead in the water. I have to set this game to MEDIUM? And still get drops to 30?

Well crap!. I have a Gsync monitor and don't care about drops to like 50-55, but to 30 is way too low. Is there a 970 user that can convince me that this game is gorgeous and smooth?

HeliosT10

Anyone else's game crash at the playground icon and goes back to desktop on start up? It starts after i restart my PC, I don't get it!?

If you have a mic plugged in try unplugging that and then start the game.

Also, do you have AVAST installed?

Top Bottom