• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

VVV Mars VG

Ah its just fanboy rants, I like both games though I feel GT5 needs to really move forward from GT4, but to say one its better than the other is at this stage is stupid. If you like automotive gaming you'll like both, they will both see refinement from previous iterations. As for Dan said this, Kaz said that, yeah Dan is clearly a lot more confident with this than he was with FM2, its written all over him. Kaz has a great marketing team and some cool music videos but it's about time GT5 was shown in playable forum and I'm sure TGS will see more.

Anyway I'll interview both guys later this year and hit Dan with his fav subject, tyre degradation :D

FrankT

Love the way they are promoting this on Xbox.com. Three trailers from E3 with one being from Forza. Simple and to the point. Marketers finally getting it over there.

DuckRacer said:
Ben Dutka (the guy who wrote that article) is also the same retard who started the "Secret PS3 Game" meme, said Killzone 2 is one of the best first-person shooters ever made, and even compared the game to Citizen Kane and the Godfather. Not to be an asshole, but who cares?

You missed the biggest one of them all. His crybaby fest over the Edge Killzone 2 review. Classic stuff.

Iknos

Psychotext said:
I can think of 5 major improvements you could make to the game... and I'm sure others could think of far more.

I'm all for making a list. When I come back from lunch I'll make one for what I think could improve.

Comparisons to the competition make sense sure.

But comparisons to real life? There is so much more you could do.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Turn 10 needs to give Che a raise :lol

What Che has accomplished:

1) 3 Forza heavy threads have been front page on GAF for a couple weeks now (GT5 thread, Forza thread, and the other vile thread).
2) Forza official forums are going crazy.
3) Gaming press is going crazy.
4) PS3 sites are going crazy.

If that's not brilliant PR, I don't know what is.

This has been fun but why don't we let the pics/vids/news do the talking from now on.

Saiyu

Psychotext said:
Hey Turn 10... you need to stop running your mouths.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/turn...mprovements_and_rsquo_to_make_on_forza_2.html

I can think of 5 major improvements you could make to the game... and I'm sure others could think of far more.

The interview, same site:

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/forza_motorsport_3/preview-1774.html

videogamer.com said:
VideoGamer.com: What’s the maximum number of cars you’ll be able to have in a race?

DG: Eight cars in a race.

VideoGamer.com: Are you going for the same number online?

DG: Same number online.

....DG: Now online is a really interesting one. Everyone says they want to do more cars online. I’ve got in really big races online…

VideoGamer.com: Not feeling it?

DG: Not really. That’s the issue. I’ve got in some leagues where there’s really evenly matched racers, and that can be really fun with a lot of people but it’s hard to coordinate. But the standard type of just hey I’m just going to get in some quick races, actually it’s better when it’s four players. That’s just the truth of the matter. This game is all about playing with your friends. We’ve got a lot of different modes online, a lot of rule sets we’re allowing people to blend, so they can create all sorts of co-operative matches and new Top Gear-style fun little things to do with cars, because that’s what our game’s about, cars, not racing so much.

meh

Saiyu

Fuck knows, I mean I know hotlapping and livery editing is a big part of Forza but 9 times out of 10 when I put in a racing-game disc I want to go racing.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So. How about some 60 fps footage? :D

http://betav2.gamersyde.com/news_8063_en.html

The stream (HQ only) is also at 60 fps, so enjoy :)

1856_0004.jpg

radeonxt

VideoGamer.com: What’s the maximum number of cars you’ll be able to have in a race?

DG: Eight cars in a race.

VideoGamer.com: Are you going for the same number online?

DG: Same number online.

....DG: Now online is a really interesting one. Everyone says they want to do more cars online. I’ve got in really big races online…

VideoGamer.com: Not feeling it?

DG: Not really. That’s the issue. I’ve got in some leagues where there’s really evenly matched racers, and that can be really fun with a lot of people but it’s hard to coordinate. But the standard type of just hey I’m just going to get in some quick races, actually it’s better when it’s four players. That’s just the truth of the matter. This game is all about playing with your friends. We’ve got a lot of different modes online, a lot of rule sets we’re allowing people to blend, so they can create all sorts of co-operative matches and new Top Gear-style fun little things to do with cars, because that’s what our game’s about, cars, not racing so much.

I Wish there were 12-16 cars at least like GRid-GT-Race pro, It'd marvellous. imo 8 cars is a little boring when comparing to GTR, race pro , etc... 12-16 cars please!!

bloodforge said:
He's clearly talking about multiplayer there. Multi is all about the cars and the fun you can have with them.
Really? Because I thought most people go online and race... or at least that's certainly been the case for 95% of the online stuff I did in Forza 2.

Psychotext said:
Really? Because I thought most people go online and race... or at least that's certainly been the case for 95% of the online stuff I did in Forza 2.

Sure in Forza2 that was what you did, but it sounds like they will have more than just racing modes for Forza3, which is what he was talking about. Its really not that hard to understand.

And him talking about "Top Gear-style fun" I"m hoping to see some car soccer. :lol

AMUSIX

536px-Hokenheimring_%282in1%29.png

Give us both? Please?

As for the marketing...meh, he could back off a tad, but it's really nothing new that we haven't seen from so many other developers.

And 5 improvements?
Well, it'd be damn easy to look at what has been done that Forza has yet to incorporate. Heck, even go back several generations...look at World Driver Championship (WDC) on N64, Sega GT (SGT) on Dreamcast, and Test Drive Le Mans (TDLM) on Dreamcast, and you can easily come up with a list of 5 things.

Weather TDLM did great, dynamic weather. Copy this. The race might start out sunny, but clouds could roll in and it might start to drizzle or even rain. Pitting to change tyre choice is key, especially if you're trying to anticipate what will happen, or how heavy the rain will be.

Time of Day WDC had some of the best pre-baked times of day. The blues of Vegas' false dawn, and the blinding sunrise in Lisbon are amazing. Even better, make it dynamic. TDLM did an incredible job with this (coupled with its dynamic weather). Of course, this is most important in endurance races...but I'd venture to say that it is vital in them.

Create-a-Car One of the greatest things about SGT was the carrozzeria mode. Winning races and series gave you access to parts...chassis, bodies, drivetrains, etc. with which you would build completely custom vehicles. You want to build a mid-engine rotary sportster with macpherson struts? Go ahead and see how it tracks. Heck, instead of winning parts, develop them. Which leads into...

Racing Team Dynamics Give me a career in the career mode. Let me run or get hired by a racing team. WDC did this a bit. You got hired, they'd provide the cars, you'd provide the driving...signing with certain class B teams would mean that you couldn't work with some class A teams due to rivalries...some bosses were more forgiving of a loss than others. Could easily ape that..or improve it. Own the team...sign on with makes and parts manufacturers...make it a career.

Environmental Effects I suppose this could fall under weather, but it's a bit more subtle than that. SGT made great use of what the Dreamcast was able to do, with its implementation of heat and fog effects (Snowy Mountain had an amazing feel to it) and WDC's Tokyo track shined because of the small . These days, the systems should easily be able to provide more. Give me Patches of ground fog, give me a truly baking road surface that causes mirages, make me deal with thick thule. Oh, sure, it seems like eye candy, but it is a big part of having to deal with the nuances of certain tracks.

Ding

Psychotext said:
The Fanatec wheel is just as good, and arguably better than the G25... it's just you need to sell a kidney to get one. :lol

There's PR nonsense and then there's full on horseshit like "we're running out of ways to improve the game".
I do agree that the way Dan is running his mouth is not very attractive. To be more blunt, it makes Turn 10 look like a bunch of arrogant, out of touch assholes. (And this is coming from a Turn 10 fan.) They (just Dan, really) really need to dial it down a notch or 6. Also, I'm getting tired of that, "We turn car guys into gamers, and vice versa," verbiage. He already ran that spiel into the ground, back during the lead up to Forza 2.

Regarding the Fanatec wheel, it... really doesn't seem that expensive to me. Am I broken? I just ordered one for $190, which isn't substantially more than I paid for the MS wheel back in the day. Sure, the MS wheel came with pedals, but they are about the cheesiest pedals imaginable. The street prices for both the G25 and the MS wheel have dropped a bunch in the interim, but that doesn't seem like a valid knock on the comparatively new Fanatec wheel.

The Fanatec only gets expensive if you want to buy the pedals and shifters right away, and you need all the dongle stuff to allow it to connect to PS3s and PCs. I will probably end up buying the pedals eventually (50 bucks), but I have no need for the rest of that. (Okay, if I ever got a cockpit, I'd probably snag the shifters as well, and maybe even those sweet $200 pedals, but that would take me into a whole different realm of experience as compared the MS and Logitech "competitors". Asking for price parity there is just silly, IMO.

I am disapointed in 8 cars only, I was expecting 2 maybe 4 more...

Biggest fail of F3 so far, it's not going to stop me buying it and having a great time, but I will cry a bit.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
radeonxt said:
I Wish there were 12-16 cars at least like GRid-GT-Race pro, It'd marvellous. imo 8 cars is a little boring when comparing to GTR, race pro , etc... 12-16 cars please!!

I'd at least like the option of more than 8 cars, but I kinda understand what he's saying. Take Moto Gp. Any 16 player race I ever played online was a big clusterfuck as soon as you came to the first turn without fail.:lol It got to the point that you had to hold back and let all the dumb fucks crash into each other and then you and a few others would continue on and race like normal. So in effect you were only racing with 8 or less people anyway.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Crag Dweller said:
I'd at least like the option of more than 8 cars

Yup, exactly. Let me choose like Bungie let's me choose. The majority of the time I play 4-4 but I love Big Team every once and a while. Likewise, if I had the option of 8,10,12,16 opponents I'd probably be in the 8-10 area most of the time. But I'd love to mix it up with more just to experience the awesomeness of the first turn clusterfuck :D

Ding said:
The Fanatec only gets expensive if you want to buy the pedals and shifters right away, and you need all the dongle stuff to allow it to connect to PS3s and PCs. I will probably end up buying the pedals eventually (50 bucks), but I have no need for the rest of that. (Okay, if I ever got a cockpit, I'd probably snag the shifters as well, and maybe even those sweet $200 pedals, but that would take me into a whole different realm of experience as compared the MS and Logitech "competitors". Asking for price parity there is just silly, IMO.
Yeah, but when you look at the mid package which is most comparable to the G25 (minus the dongle), you're still looking at £238. You could argue that you only get the one type of shifter with the G25 so you can take off another £21. But that's still £217 for the Fanatec vs £150 for the G25.

That's still a fair old difference, and the general opinion is you'll end up with the worst of it when it comes to pedals (I still wish you could buy the G25 pedals separate).

radeonxt

Crag Dweller said:
I'd at least like the option of more than 8 cars, but I kinda understand what he's saying. Take Moto Gp. Any 16 player race I ever played online was a big clusterfuck as soon as you came to the first turn without fail.:lol It got to the point that you had to hold back and let all the dumb fucks crash into each other and then you and a few others would continue on and race like normal. So in effect you were only racing with 8 or less people anyway.

But I meant offline :lol

Sorry but I do not like MotoGP :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Iberian said:
What's going on with the stutter / micro-pause at 00:03 and 00:25 seconds? I hope they get rid of it, because for me it's a total immersion killer. (I used to hate flight-sim's with micro-stutter or pauses, now I see them in Forza)

the game is not finished. this is why e3 isnt open to the public and why this demo would NEVER be put on the marketplace, it cant be taken as fully representative of the final product.

pswii60

Iberian said:
What's going on with the stutter / micro-pause at 00:03 and 00:25 seconds? I hope they get rid of it, because for me it's a total immersion killer. (I used to hate flight-sim's with micro-stutter or pauses, now I see them in Forza)
Probably just not finished. Although there was a stutter at the beginning of every race in Forza 2 (when the tyre smoke hits).

bj00rn_

Banned
Diablohead said:
Wow that 60fps video is lovely, the track is full of detail and those mountains look lush.

I actually think it looked a little weird. Especially the grass. And some detail looked kinda blocky like there's some trackside detail missing. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. It's just a minor thing though, I'm really excited for the game.

HokieJoe

Psychotext said:
1: Weather
2: Variable time of day
3: Individual component failure (losing 4th gear for instance... and yes, this would obviously be optional for the sim heads)
4: More cars per race
5: Fuel loads affecting race pace (again, for the sim heads, and those willing to drive 50 laps!)

...and a ton of smaller things that are missing from a real race experience like yellow flags, safety cars, gravel traps and so on.

I agree with 1, 2, and 5.

blanky

m0dus said:
So I need you all to help me out. I want to buy the absolute BEST fanatec wheel, pedals (w/clutch?) to go with the driving mount, for use with Forza 2, 3 and GT5

Also, Che, I want to hear about changes to the livery editor sooner rather than later :D so I can get my paint on.

Only the Turbo with the dongle has the option for PS3 and XBOX i think. dont know if the RS works with the dongle.

Ranger X

Dear God 60fps is awesome.

Theere should be a law preventing any footage of anything to be under 60fps. 59fps for 1 nanosecond would = death penalty in public after being tortured on national TV.

VVV Mars VG

Diablohead said:
I am disappointed in 8 cars only, I was expecting 2 maybe 4 more...

Yeah I agree, especially when you're doing oval or long distance races. I'm assuming that was a technical limitation, not a design one?

Top Bottom