• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blimblim said:
So. How about some 60 fps footage? :D

http://betav2.gamersyde.com/news_8063_en.html

The stream (HQ only) is also at 60 fps, so enjoy :)

1856_0004.jpg

awesome blim. any more?

duk

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:
You got a link? (I believe you obviously, I just want to devour every scrap of info on the game that I can)

i think it was a video interview with GS im sorry i dont have it off-hand

Iknos

radeonxt said:
I Wish there were 12-16 cars at least like GRid-GT-Race pro, It'd marvellous. imo 8 cars is a little boring when comparing to GTR, race pro , etc... 12-16 cars please!!

Totally agree.

I hate answers that attempt to downplay the importance of a good feature. I agree to some extent that 16 player races can be clusterfucks. Keyword: "can". Let the gamers decide I bet you that most will love 16 player races and the way Forza's online system is set up you can make sure all 16 are decent drivers.

I'd rather have a more straightforward answer like "networking 16 players is hard" or "our engine wouldn't be able to handle 16 cars with full physics/graphics".

Online shouldn't be an issue because most physics are done client side so it must be the graphics.

But yeah if Greenwalt is looking for features since he's running out of them this is a glaring one. Regardless the game should still be great but he was making a big deal about features running out so...

Thanks for the vid Blim I got it seeded. Actually I've been seeding a lot of E3 racing game stuff and it seems that Forza is getting more attention than all the rest.

I love the blur effect on the pavement as seen in previous FM games but it is jarring that the grass doesn't have that same effect. You'd think that would be something they'd attempt to fix but its probably at the end of a long list of "polish" features.

Another thing is when a guy goes offroad it seems like the car is very stable while in the grass. Now I don't have too much experience in driving on grass at high speeds but you'd think that it would be very rough on your suspension and you would be bouncing a bit more. I do realize though that it depends on the track. GT has done this and it seems very consistent with real life. Many times you see rollovers offroad because the grass/sand isn't conducive to your car drifting sideways too. I'm judging from an off screen vid.

60fps reflections look super slick.

zaidr

Wow...60fps looks crazy. I felt...kind of Hyper Real...almost unreal, in the sense that its a game, but so unlike most games these days. Bayonetta footage made me feel the same way...

Saiyu

Iknos said:
Totally agree.

I hate answers that attempt to downplay the importance of a good feature. I agree to some extent that 16 player races can be clusterfucks. Keyword: "can". Let the gamers decide I bet you that most will love 16 player races and the way Forza's online system is set up you can make sure all 16 are decent drivers.

I'd rather have a more straightforward answer like "networking 16 players is hard" or "our engine wouldn't be able to handle 16 cars with full physics/graphics".

Online shouldn't be an issue because most physics are done client side so it must be the graphics.

But yeah if Greenwalt is looking for features since he's running out of them this is a glaring one. Regardless the game should still be great but he was making a big deal about features running out so...

Thanks for the vid Blim I got it seeded. Actually I've been seeding a lot of E3 racing game stuff and it seems that Forza is getting more attention than all the rest.

I love the blur effect on the pavement as seen in previous FM games but it is jarring that the grass doesn't have that same effect. You'd think that would be something they'd attempt to fix but its probably at the end of a long list of "polish" features.

Another thing is when a guy goes offroad it seems like the car is very stable while in the grass. Now I don't have too much experience in driving on grass at high speeds but you'd think that it would be very rough on your suspension and you would be bouncing a bit more. I do realize though that it depends on the track. GT has done this and it seems very consistent with real life. Many times you see rollovers offroad because the grass/sand isn't conducive to your car drifting sideways too. I'm judging from an off screen vid.

60fps reflections look super slick.

I'm no expert, in fact it only happened once when I was a passenger but as soon as the car was on the grass the grip disappeared and was throwing us all over the place. And this was just a 30-40 mph off, you don't have to have seen that many races to realise that it doesn't look right in that video.

pilonv1 said:
TrackMap.jpg

Yes please. Plenty of elevation too

Didn't Forza 1 have a track called Blue Mountain or something that was basically a copy of Bathurst? I was pissed it wasn't in F2.

Atrophis

So, has there been any hints of a return of the point to point races from Forza 1. I never played it but just saw a vid of the downhill track on youtube and it looked like great fun.

If they are putting an emphasis on drifting as one of the types of racing, they really need to get something like that in F3.

Atrophis said:
So, has there been any hints of a return of the point to point races from Forza 1

The last I remember hearing about that was in the leak... unless someone has something more up to date:
Those new race modes we mentioned include "drag, drift, oval, point to point racing, etc"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/forza-motorsport-3-details-and-dlc-plans

However, the PR specifically leaves out the point to point part...
An innovative single-player season mode puts you through a completely personalized racing calendar that includes more than 200 different events, including Circuit, Oval, Drag, Drift and Timed Events.
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/fm3_factsheet.htm

So sadly, I'd wager it's not coming. :(

op_ivy

sionyboy said:
Still no sign of my FM3-themed Audi S4.... :(

I can only guess that Turn10 hates British people (or just me)

i was signed in and racing for about 5-10 minutes before the prompt pooped up that i had been gifted the cars (audi and unicorn for voting). give it some time, dont just turn on the game for a minute and think it hasnt been sent.

also, and along the same lines, god damned forza 2 crashed and i lost my F3 audi! upon downloading both gift cars, i immediately went to my garage to check them out (the unicorn was a sick f2 stradale). i "got in" the audi, excited out of the garage, and all the sound effects and music dissapeared.... hmm, oh, well, maybe when the race starts i'll have em back? instead, the game hung up while trying to load the race and i ended up having to reboot the system. when i did, no F3 audi. its disappeared entirely!

op_ivy said:
i was signed in and racing for about 5-10 minutes before the prompt pooped up that i had been gifted the cars (audi and unicorn for voting). give it some time, dont just turn on the game for a minute and think it hasnt been sent.

I commented in the thread about 4 nights ago though, then I made a second comment about two nights ago hoping it might be a bit more successful.

i r cry :(

op_ivy

sionyboy said:
I commented in the thread about 4 nights ago though, then I made a second comment about two nights ago hoping it might be a bit more successful.

i r cry :(

but have you been signed into your live account and had forza running for at least 5 minutes? my notification didnt pop up immediately

DuckRacer

Psychotext said:
The last I remember hearing about that was in the leak... unless someone has something more up to date:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/forza-motorsport-3-details-and-dlc-plans

However, the PR specifically leaves out the point to point part...

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/fm3_factsheet.htm

So sadly, I'd wager it's not coming. :(
I dunno, I think it's still coming. The original leak is spot on with everything else, I see no reason why it'd be incorrect about point-to-point races. We also haven't seen everything about the game – what's to say that Turn 10 won't reveal the point-to-point mode and its associated tracks a few months from now?

op_ivy said:
but have you been signed into your live account and had forza running for at least 5 minutes? my notification didnt pop up immediately

Oh yeah, I've been playing a lot of FM2 recently since the announcement was made, specifically on the Nurburgring, so I've definitely been playing for more than 5 minutes at at a time ;)

I've just made a third comment, I'll go load it up and see if this was any more successful.

skyfinch

PjotrStroganov said:
Never even thought about the amount of cars on track. 8 is not alot.

It all comes down to the AI. I'd rather have 8 smart AI drivers than 20 mindless ones.

A game like Ferrari F355 for the DC is still one of the most challenging racing games ever, and yet, it only had 8 cars on the track.

Edit, I remember MotoGP (climax developed), there were like 20 bikes on the track, but once you take all of them out in the first corner, it's basically you vs the track, as the AI was so bad.

skyfinch said:
It all comes down to the AI. I'd rather have 8 smart AI drivers than 20 mindless ones.

A game like Ferrari F355 for the DC is still one of the most challenging racing games ever, and yet, it only had 8 cars on the track.
Each opponent car is setup to be set spaces apart once the race starts, it's why you have to be good to get past the final car before the last lap finishes. If Forza did that people would complain that it's not realistic plus it would ruin anything other then 2 lap races :p

IMO turn10 should have aimed at a few more in a race, or only give 9+ car races on more simple tracks like GT5P does, loop races and less detailed wider circuits.

VVV Mars VG

Psychotext said:
You know, for all the shock at the number of cars on track, you'd think people had never played a racing game before this gen.

I was playing games last gen with 60fps and 12 cars online, for me its all about the online experience, I'm not too bothered about the 1 player experience, to me that's just the chore you go through to earn cash. Everybody plays their own way and for me I love endurance races with mandatory pit stops, more cars the better of course there isn't the option for more cars which is a shame.

FrankT

godhandiscen said:
Is the cockpit view confirmed to stay at 30fps in the final game?

I think that is TBD IIRC. I believe they said they are working on getting 60 in the final build although I may be mistaken about that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
godhandiscen said:
Is the cockpit view confirmed to stay at 30fps in the final game?

They're still optimizing it. The E3 demo is one month old.

However, they have't said "we PROMISE every view will be 60fps." We'll see ;)

Spasm

WHOAguitarninja said:
You got a link? (I believe you obviously, I just want to devour every scrap of info on the game that I can)
It looks like, from Blim's video at least, that reflections are still 30hz, but now with motion blur. Do a frame by frame of the last bridge he drives under, it goes, full reflection, interpolated blurred reflection, full reflection, blurred reflection... etc.

Spasm said:
It looks like, from Blim's video at least, that reflections are still 30hz, but now with motion blur. Do a frame by frame of the last bridge he drives under, it goes, full reflection, interpolated blurred reflection, full reflection, blurred reflection... etc.

Look at the overpass. It does the same. That's just the way videos sinc up. It's not going to be perfect unless you have the camera and tv in perfect synchronization. What you're seeing, those blurred jumps, are how you can tell it's 60fps in this case. If it were 30fps you wouldn't see that every frame.

EDIT-Actually, hmm. You wouldn't see the unblurred frames if it were 60. It might just be 30. Bummer if so. No motion blur or anything though. I don't think there are any good ways to do that to a cube map. Ill be using the in-car view in any case though, so I guess it doesn't matter that much to me.

Shaneus

Yeah, one thing I noticed with that video is that even though it was running at 60fps, you could see some kind of bleeding b/w frames. Not Forza, but the way it was captured.

Having said that, I *definitely* noticed a framerate decrease when the race finished and it started on the replay with the time overlay.

skyfinch

Shaneus said:
Having said that, I *definitely* noticed a framerate decrease when the race finished and it started on the replay with the time overlay.

I guess replays will be 30fps like forza 2. Damn.

eso76

Shaneus said:
Yeah, one thing I noticed with that video is that even though it was running at 60fps, you could see some kind of bleeding b/w frames. Not Forza, but the way it was captured.

yep, when it switched to replay-camera it definately was 30, and with no motion blur .
It's just like F2. 60 ingame - 30 + motion blur during replays and for some reason it's just 30 with no motion blur immediately after a race or when you're watching a race for which you hired an AI driver.

Which coupled with a few minor details i noticed (minor stuff taking a split second to pop up when suddenly switching cameras), suggests the engine is in fact a tweaked version of the one used in F2 and not an entirely new one.

Speaking of motion blur, i would have liked it to be a little more pronounced than it was in F2. It's very subtle, to the point it doesn't really helps smoothness a lot, or not as much as in Grid or Pgr.

pswii60

Blim's video just sold me on the game. Looks so smooth and the sense of speed is finally there. Leaps and bounds above Forza 2 in every way.

Can't wait to see some of the other tracks/environments.

See

I know Che told us that photo mode was totally re masted, I hope we could still do some crazy effects like these, I had a few more good ones, but I forgot to upload them. The effects setting on Forza 2 was way better than those of PGR3/4.

I also love how when you turn the exposure up then move the camera, it would leave a trail, it looks so slick, hope as a little extra bonus Turn 10 would allow us to play the game with tweaked effect settings :) It would certainly make the video capture thingy a lot more interesting!

eso76

See said:
hope as a little extra bonus Turn 10 would allow us to play the game with tweaked effect settings :) It would certainly make the video capture thingy a lot more interesting!

Nah, but i could see myself toning down saturation in order to obtain a slightly more photoreal look : P

saladine1

Che "no game info" Chou...where are youoouuu!?

I hope there's some closure provided on the weekend..

I'm actually anticipating Che's response to all this shit that's been happening rather than the game itself!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
saladine1 said:
Che "no game info" Chou...where are youoouuu!?

I hope there's some closure provided on the weekend..

I'm actually anticipating Che's response to all this shit that's been happening rather than the game itself!

It's not even 9:00 on the east coast! Che & Co. haven't even had their Seattle's Best yet!

h3ro

Yeah, I'm guessing that there will be some cross promotion since LeMans is starting. Perhaps some branding on the R15 TDIs? Kristensen had a promo video up on the FM site. I hope we get some detailed shots of the game running La Sarthe. Gotta love those Yellow and Blue curbs. :D

blanky

h3ro said:
Yeah, I'm guessing that there will be some cross promotion since LeMans is starting. Perhaps some branding on the R15 TDIs? Kristensen had a promo video up on the FM site. I hope we get some detailed shots of the game running La Sarthe. Gotta love those Yellow and Blue curbs. :D

There's still branding on the Peugeot 908 and some spotted Turn 10 logos on the Corvette C6.r but the R15 itself seemed pretty clean. I really want that and the new Aston in the game though, and night time racing. It looked like so much fun on Eurosport. Maybe they'll actually announce something like that, since the AXF event will be a real 24 hour race in Forza 3, I'm hoping for night time then.

Top Bottom