• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Why would they include a big-ass track like De Sarthe then do away with the pits.... you just know people are going to recreate their own "Le Mans 240 Minute" type of races, without the pits there its just..... poo.

/Runs off to Tweet @che

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dammitmattt said:
But driving at night usually isn't that fun (for me, at least), and I think weather has actually made Burnout Paradise a slightly worse experience.

i agree to both. weather and night racing is good to have variety, but honestly, when given the option, i always select bright and sunny.

(although a full 24 hour cycle and changing weather ala le mans (dreamcast) would have gave me major wood)

BCD2 said:
The PR from the Audi event in NYC mentions pit stops. I bet they're still in as we knew them before, but nothing more.

good. cant imagine they'd completely get rid of it. i dont expect them to be overhauled either though

Milpool

op_ivy said:
misc pics (few more at links above)

3619939294_c884b50bb3_o.jpg

Yay, it's like it's glued to the track in Forza2. Love it.

rjcc

iam220 said:
Sounds like F3 is shaping out to be a fantastic driving sim, but a horrible racing sim.

eh, horrible enduro racing. no pits is definitely wack, but I don't do endurance.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
man I am not the type that likes those sort of vehicles in the looks department but holy shit.. Forza 3 makes those models look f'in awesome!

******* AWESOME! I can't wait to see more FM3 pics.

Look at that body work on this baby

1856_0003.jpg

Lickable.

op_ivy

i hope we get lots of footage of gameplay of these circuits from the 24hrs. event.

60 fps footage!

Sirolf

Damn my wife (who works for the circuit) asked the wrong person for the conference :lol
I will try to catch Che on the circuit with a big dose of luck !!!
Damn if i had known earlier...
I you read this post Che (probably not!!:lol ),send me a PM !!

The aliasing seems to be taken care of in photomode. The photorealistic quality seems to be adequate enough to enjoy but nothing more. The gameplay footage shows that the wow effect will mostly come from a smooth 60fps and super sharp backgrounds.

I think the "no pit stop" thing may be referring to the event in NYC only, not the actual game. Could be something they don't want to show yet.

saladine1

Sirolf said:
Damn my wife (who works for the circuit) asked the wrong person for the conference :lol
I will try to catch Che on the circuit with a big dose of luck !!!
Damn if i had known earlier...

C'mon man, don't let us down..:D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
cjelly said:
Weren't those types of cars in Forza 2?

Yeah but they didn't look this good. Now you can appreciate the details of them, they've always seemed like featureless cars but I take it back, now that I see how nicely detailed they are.

DuckRacer

dammitmattt said:
But driving at night usually isn't that fun (for me, at least), and I think weather has actually made Burnout Paradise a slightly worse experience.
That's because Burnout Paradise's implementation of "weather" is absolutely horrible. There's fog, or there's no fog. That's it. PGR4 has weather, including several variations of rain and snow (light rain, heavy rain, thunderstorm, etc) and fog and a bunch of other weather conditions, and that was all amazing. Plus the weather changed during a race – it might start out overcast, but by the end of the race there's a heavy downpour and your tactics and racing changes dramatically. When done halfway right, weather is pretty amazing.

No weather in Forza 3 isn't a big deal since it's a sim racer, but it would still benefit the game nonetheless.

edit: and there's no way Turn 10 is going to ditch pit stops, especially since they're a vital part of racing and they were already in the first two Forza games. If this is true I'll gladly join the rabble in the GT5 thread and mock all the "definitive" claims.

nib95

Banned
I very much doubt the game doesn't have pit stops. That would be retarded. My guess is Blim was only referring to that particular event or track. Otherwise that's a HUGE negative for Forza 3. Of epic proportions. But like I said, I VERY much doubt Forza 3 doesn't have pit stops.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Slayer-33 said:
man I am not the type that likes those sort of vehicles in the looks department but holy shit.. Forza 3 makes those models look f'in awesome!

******* AWESOME! I can't wait to see more FM3 pics.

Look at that body work on this baby

1856_0003.jpg

Lickable.
HOLY SHIT! They have improved the decal textures a lot. I remember the "Michellin" logo being unreadable in FM2. Good job T10.

I normally make it a point to NOT enter threads of games/consoles I do not own because I'm tired of seeing the trolling in threads I DO visit... but I have to say: After seeing some footage of this game on G4, it looks amazing. That's all.

DuckRacer said:
No weather in Forza 3 isn't a big deal since it's a sim racer, but it would still benefit the game nonetheless.
Thing is though... how can you be a proper sim without rain? Half the races I watch have some rain in them.

nib95

Banned
rjcc said:
I consider anything above 10 laps to be boring usually, but no, enduro in a game, probably at least 30 laps

It's a sim racer. In real life you don't go from zero to hero. From last to first in 3 laps. This isn't Days of thunder. It can sometimes take you all 10 laps just to budge up a few spots. Even more to get somewhere solid. Longer races also force you to be more consistent in skill, and more wary of making mistakes, since hard work and time can go out the window in a second, just like in real life....

Unless you use rewind lol...

No night races, no weather, no pit stops, no blown tires.

Since we can probably say with certainty that there will be pit stops in the game, probably just not at this event, perhaps all the other effects follow the same logic. :D

Wishful thinking!

iam220

rjcc said:
I consider anything above 10 laps to be boring usually, but no, enduro in a game, probably at least 30 laps

Well in that case it would be in your favor to agree with me that the game is shaping out to be a bad racing sim, since by your own account you'd consider a good racing sim boring. :)

Still buying the game but no rain hurts. Rain is a good aid for learning finesse. Night races can take a toss; hate'm. Pit stops, whatever. Tire blowouts, take it or leave it.

My biggest worry remains sound. I want the various engines to sound different, even if it requires slight exaggeration (though, please tone-down the turbo whine). This actually is my worry for all the sims coming out this fall.

pr0cs

wonderkins said:
My biggest worry remains sound.
I'm far from a racing sim guru, I like them because I appreciate the technical aspects of trying to simulate all the physics going on in the game, but I will say that Forza2 had some of the best sound for a racing game I've ever heard, I don't see any reason to think Forza3 will be worse.

evolution

Tom Penny said:
Will GT5 have night races and weather change? I don't care about the other 2.
Chances are night races are in since they have already been featured in past iterations, but weather is more unlikely.

PGR4 and RSC2 did weather pretty good, would be nice to see this in every racing game.

Blimblim said:
No night races, no weather, no pit stops, no blown tires.

Dissapointing but not surprising. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Dan Greenawalt hates weather or something.

EDIT- Wait no pit stops???? That HAS to be a mistake. Wtf?

Tom Penny

evolution said:
Chances are night races are in since they have already been featured in past iterations, but weather is more unlikely.

PGR4 and RSC2 did weather pretty good, would be nice to see this in every racing game.

Lame. Why don't they borrow the weather teach that they used for the F1 game. Rain looked sick.

Amneisac

I don't understand how something like blown tires can't be in. That's fine if they don't want to make it so that debris from wrecks stays on the track and blows out tires or anything, but how hard is it to make it so if you don't change your tires eventually one blows out?

I'm also going to assume pits are in, I think that's got to be some kind of misunderstanding.

eso76

heh, come on... You can clearly see the pitstops lane even in Montserrat tracks demoed at e3. They wouldn't have bothered including pits even in fictional tracks if they were going to drop them. They will probably be just like those in F2.

don't really care for night racing and didn't expect weather either.

those shots are sexy, cars' textures have improved greatly.
i'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if custom liveries end up being lower res than these official racing liveries though; this happened in F2.

Now...what about some footage of le mans too ? one lap ingame and one lap replay ? : )

op_ivy

eso76 said:
those shots are sexy, cars' textures have improved greatly.
i'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if custom liveries end up being lower res than these official racing liveries though; this happened in F2.

i wouldnt expect the same quality, but i would expect drastically better then those found in F2

Rad Agast

Now that I think about it, doesn't Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations share the Project Gotham Racing tech? What are the chances of us seeing weather implemented in Forza 3?

saladine1

Alright, so recent articles,info..etc..are indicating no weather and day/night cycles.

Fine.

But the question has to be asked is why?

op_ivy

saladine1 said:
Alright, so recent articles,info..etc..are indicating no weather and day/night cycles.

Fine.

But the question has to be asked is why?

time.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Rad Agast said:
Now that I think about it, doesn't Microsoft Game Studios and Bizarre Creations share the Project Gotham Racing tech? What are the chances of us seeing weather implemented in Forza 3?
Unlike PGR, this is a sim and rain is a whole other kettle of fish.

Forza 1 pit stops were so much better then 2's, because you could pick how long to pit for if you wanted less damage repaired for a fast exit.

For a simulation a game should have a worthwhile pitstop imo, same with fuel loads and tyres that can blow up when fully worn down.

Amneisac

Well, I think just the planning about which types of tires to run and everything is what makes weather important from a sim standpoint. So there's no point in adding it if they aren't going to do a 100% good job of it.

Top Bottom