• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Rad Agast

cjelly said:
Unlike PGR, this is a sim and rain is a whole other kettle of fish.

It would be cool to have though no? Fuck it, if it's not in the game when released then that's fine, just add it as DLC later on I'll be all over that update.

Rad Agast said:
It would be cool to have though no? Fuck it, if it's not in the game when released then that's fine, just add it as DLC later on I'll be all over that update.

That's a pretty dramatic thing to add if you're going to do it right and it isn't planned from the beggining. You would have to redo the lighting, and shaders on every track in order to have a good rain simulation. Not to mention the physics model and tyre simulation would have to be very heavily modified. That's pretty damn dramatic.

Rad Agast

WHOAguitarninja said:
That's a pretty dramatic thing to add if you're going to do it right and it isn't planned from the beggining. You would have to redo the lighting, and shaders on every track in order to have a good rain simulation. Not to mention the physics model and tyre simulation would have to be very heavily modified. That's pretty damn dramatic.

Ok, if it's technically impossible for Turn 10 to update the entire game to add weather then it might be possible to have on specific DLC tracks? I understand that the entire thing is kinda pointless to discuss right now since we don't know what is actually in the final package at this time but it's something to discuss.

BeeDog said:
I have serious doubts that GT5 will implement weather. They would've definitely touted it in the E3 trailer if it was in.

Maybe it's one of the final things they're polishing and it wasn't ready to be shown yet ? Or they're saving something ? if Kaz said weather is in, I think it will be.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why would they take pitstops out of Forza? A little fender bender before the bridge on Nurburgring without the pitstop on the other side you might as well just turn off your console and play something else for 15 minutes while your friends finish the race.

Ok guys so David (who told me about weather, night races, pitstops... on Xboxygen ) is now back at home and updated the news. By no pitstop he meant no "realistic" pitstops, there will be no animations, like forza2.

tomchoucrew said:
Ok guys so David (who told me about weather, night races, pitstops... on Xboxygen ) is now back at home and updated the news. By no pitstop he meant no "realistic" pitstops, there will be no animations, like forza2.

I can handle that (i think), the main thing is they are still there :)

Dural

Rad Agast said:
Ok, if it's technically impossible for Turn 10 to update the entire game to add weather then it might be possible to have on specific DLC tracks? I understand that the entire thing is kinda pointless to discuss right now since we don't know what is actually in the final package at this time but it's something to discuss.

Well it's translated from another language so what he is saying isn't perfect clear, at least to me.

As for Forza 3, I honestly wish they'd just delay the game and make it a true sequel. Forza 2 was a rushed to market Forza HD with less content and Forza 3 so far looks to be a slightly upgraded Forza 2 with much better graphics. Sure, the awesome graphics are nice but otherwise they haven't shown much else that is really compelling. 12-16 cars on track, if not more, should have been a goal from the beginning. Same with weather and variable time of day. If you are going to tout LeMans as a big feature at least support what makes the race so compelling. Maybe they're still not sure what will make it in and we'll get some good surprises like with the cockpits, but they need more than prettier graphics to make me want the game.

Darklord

Banned
Blimblim said:
No night races, no weather, no pit stops, no blown tires.

What the fuck? Why is it so hard for developers to add this simple but really important stuff? No weather? No pit stops? Come on!

DuckRacer

Darklord said:
What the fuck? Why is it so hard for developers to add this simple but really important stuff? No weather? No pit stops? Come on!
tomchoucrew said:
spaceball.gif

Darklord said:
Because this is a sim, weather is far more than just visual, meaning it's nowhere near simple.

I could care less about weather, and can understand the difficulties to implement it.

However what I can not understand is why there is no day/night. Ok so dynamic day/night cycles may be pose technical limitations, but why not the option to choose different times of day before you start a race and have it not be dynamic. That has got to be fairly easy to implement if you ask me....

Rad Agast

Dural said:
Well it's translated from another language so what he is saying isn't perfect clear, at least to me.

As for Forza 3, I honestly wish they'd just delay the game and make it a true sequel. Forza 2 was a rushed to market Forza HD with less content and Forza 3 so far looks to be a slightly upgraded Forza 2 with much better graphics. Sure, the awesome graphics are nice but otherwise they haven't shown much else that is really compelling. 12-16 cars on track, if not more, should have been a goal from the beginning. Same with weather and variable time of day. If you are going to tout LeMans as a big feature at least support what makes the race so compelling. Maybe they're still not sure what will make it in and we'll get some good surprises like with the cockpits, but they need more than prettier graphics to make me want the game.

Che said they'll be releasing information bit by bit from now till release so I think we'll have a much clearer picture when we're close to it. By the way, are you Dural from the old Sega Tech Pages? nice to see you again ;-)

Tom Penny said:
How can you have no night cycle but race Lemans. Isn't that 24 hours?

That's why it's hard for me to accept the stuff regarding the day/night cycle. It's not a deal breaker for me but it would have been nice to have in there.

Superfrog

Tom Penny said:
How can you have no night cycle but race Lemans. Isn't that 24 hours?
I second that. Especially if you use the real Le Mans 24 hours race to unveil and promote Le Mans in Forza 3.

And by the way, even the Le Mans 24 game on Dreamcast had day/night cycle implemented, and it was very impressive back then. Shouldn't be too hard for Turn10 to achieve the same, especially considering Forza 3 will be shipped on two DVDs... right?

FLUXCapacitor said:
I could care less about weather, and can understand the difficulties to implement it.

However what I can not understand is why there is no day/night. Ok so dynamic day/night cycles may be pose technical limitations, but why not the option to choose different times of day before you start a race and have it not be dynamic. That has got to be fairly easy to implement if you ask me....

If they have to spend a ton of time tweaking the lighting and making the skyboxes to be just right, then it might not. Also if they bake things into the textures, or the textures are done with the assumption things will be lit a certain way, they might need to completely retexture the track to get the same effect. I'd love to see it too, but most of the time when it seems like something is a simple add, and it's not there, it's not a simple add.

Superfrog said:
I second that. Especially if you use the real Le Mans 24 hours race to unveil and promote Le Mans in Forza 3.

And by the way, even the Le Mans 24 game on Dreamcast had day/night cycle implemented, and it was very impressive back then. Shouldn't be too hard for Turn10 to achieve the same, especially considering Forza 3 will be shipped on two DVDs... right?

Dynamic shadows say high. Having proper shadows is probably taxing enough. Having them be dynamic based on time of day would be much harder most likely. It'd be crazy freaking awesome, but it'd be tough, and they would probably have to sacrifice something important, be it framerate or detail. I don't think they have the 24 hour race in the game either. I think they only have the course. This is stuff that I think will be easier to do NEXT gen when I imagine it will be somewhat easier to come up with realistic looking lighting.

Definitive?

Where are the additions? I'm seeing a lot of things left out. I hope this isn't going to be FM2 with better graphics. Game was way too shallow. I want more, more more!

Rad Agast

HurricaneJesus said:
I think GTA 4 is a pretty awesome driving game. Full day/night cycle, weather, and dynamic lighting.

:lol

Back to being a bit more serious, I hope Turn 10 surprises us with some stuff before release.

AMUSIX

Rad Agast said:
:lol

Back to being a bit more serious, I hope Turn 10 surprises us with some stuff before release.
This. Truly.

I love the Forza series (the two of them) and think Forza 2 is the best the genre has to offer to date. However, Turn 10 can't be accusing competitors of offering more of the same if Forza 3 doesn't bring much new to the plate.

So far the new stuff we know about isn't screaming leap forward for the series. The biggest things they've revealed so far (cockpits and the video editor) are great, but they're ultimately window dressing. Other than that, I'm really not seeing F3 bringing anything new to the Forza table. Day/Night cycles (read: non-prebaked lighting) would have been a big deal, as would weather, of course. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they could do.
Maybe the drag/drift/oval races will be more than they sound?

Mohonky

AndersTheSwede said:
Is rain really a requirement for F3 to be fun?

Yes. Fun is a term directly proportional to;

A: what features the competition are working on and
B: how many titles the game actually sells.

adelante said:
So what's the glare doing in the rear view mirror?...is that from someone's camera or a graphical feature of the game?

2is8v8p.jpg

The sun is just under the mirror. The glare is peeking up over the edge. The glare isn't in the mirror.

Saiyu

iam220 said:
Hope this wasn't already posted.

Inside Sim Racing Special Report E3 Forza 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVzhkASVCQ0

Skip forward to 6:30

hmm from the people that put out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5gQIKkYYA ....I think I'll hold judgment until the demo's out. That setup is awesome though, and the sounds seem great.

For shits and giggles I decided to try out quickly the same car, same track with a wheel (DFP and MS FFB) in Forza 2 and GT5:p (Pro setting, N2 tyres). For games that tout themselves as sims they sure feel vastly different to each other, but in the end Prologue felt the most like other sims I've tried and the (not particularly fast) cars I've driven in real life. That floaty look that I feel when watching these early F3 vids was in full effect in F2, and the bad low speed physics in GT5:p were still there, but being able to boot it full throttle in a 250+ hp car out of the chicane with barely a hiccup was, and still is unforgiveable. If anyone is sad enough to have both wheels like me I'd recommend trying both back to back, it's quite interesting just how different they feel - wheel differences aside.

Pistolero

As my knowledge is close to zero on the topic, I feel the need to ask my fellow expert gaffers the following question : The testers in the provided video for Forza III seem to really dig the physics, and claim it's as good as PC sims, a feat no other console racing title has ever achieved apparently...But what is special about those PC references ? Thanks in advance...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Pistolero said:
As my knowledge is close to zero on the topic, I feel the need to ask my fellow expert gaffers the following question : The testers in the provided video for Forza III seem to really dig the physics, and claim it's as good as PC sims, a feat no other console racing title has ever achieved apparently...But what is special about those PC references ? Thanks in advance...
You're probably looking at something like rFactor or iRacing.

Here's a decent video showing a comparison between reality and rFactor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr5zu4bE3jw&fmt=18

And you probably want to skim through this site just to see what one of the bigger racing games on PC offers.

hie

speedpop said:
You're probably looking at something like rFactor or iRacing.

Here's a decent video showing a comparison between reality and rFactor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr5zu4bE3jw&fmt=18

And you probably want to skim through this site just to see what one of the bigger racing games on PC offers.

my love of GT1-4 turned me on to PC sims like: GTR, GT Legends, GPL, rFactor, etc..i never had an og Xbox, but once i got Forza2 i felt that is was the closest to the feel of the PC sims on consoles. good to hear that it sounds like it's getting even closer.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
hie said:
my love of GT1-4 turned me on to PC sims like: GTR, GT Legends, GPL, rFactor, etc...

Yeah same here. I'm currently playing GTR: Evo at the moment and it's pretty good. The graphics could use a little work though. It's no GT5/Forza3 in that department.

Apex

Pistolero said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5SiFBQx88

Top Bottom