• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

chespace said:
Pretty much overhauled in how we do blur (for all objects including wheels), DOF, tether length, massive telephoto zoom, etc.

So I take it we can get much further away and higher camera angles this go around?!?! Big props on the wheel blur too, you can actually tell the various wheels apart this go around! Thanks again man, can't wait!

EDIT: Also are you guys going with sliders this year or actual numbers for photomode? Numbers I hope.

saladine1

Man, you guys must have worked day and night to make this game!
Tonnes of new features,graphics upgrade...etc in 2 years?

Did you by any chance sleep at work 361 days of a year?

Zhuk

Banned
saladine1 said:
Man, you guys must have worked day and night to make this game!
Tonnes of new features,graphics upgrade...etc in 2 years?

Did you by any chance sleep at work 361 days of a year?

I am very happy with all the great updates they have made to this game, it truly is impressive especially in a 2 year timeframe. It's understandable that night/day mode and weather modes did not make it into this version considering the amount of work they've done in every other area of the game.

edit: Are you an Aussie by any chance? :)

Zhuk

Banned
saladine1 said:
Yes I am.
I'm just hoping that FM3 features the car in my avatar.....uh...Che..

Thought so, love the XY GT-HO! I'd be happy with the XB Coupe and a VL Turbo personally :D

DustoMan

Banned
chespace said:
We'll do a follow-up podcast on this topic and more next week. :D

Look for it on Forzamotorsport.net, etc. etc.

You guys might want to check on your iTunes feed. The June 23rd episode isn't showing up and when I subscribe to it, it can't download any episodes at all.

Zhuk

Banned
saladine1 said:
Oh how I would love to see a FM3 version of our iconic cars..

Absolutely, and the prospect of doing engine swaps in game with them makes the idea it even better :D one can dream :)

Saiyu

Zhuk said:
Quite amusing to read your diatribe lecturing me about subjectivity and fanboyism when your posts contain them (especially since your experience playing sims is largely console based), there is nothing about my claims whatsoever that are fraudulent and are backed up by the realities of modern simulation, downplaying Forza's importance and qualities as a console simulation also go against what the authorities in the sim community say against the other game. If you don't believe my arguments, surely you can look at theirs and draw your own conclusions.

Am I biased? you bet, I make no qualms where I stand nor will I hide it, i'm a PC and 360 gamer and I only own a PS3 for GT5P because that's all that interests me on that console.

What I wish to get across is to draw the line in the sand with comparisons with the other game, one can argue cars, tracks, features and modes ad nauseum with subjectivity which is fine as it is ultimately personal taste, but there is no way that anyone who is objective and who has done their homework will ever say that the other game's physics system is more advanced than Forza's.

As you aren't a PC sim enthusiast I do not expect you to be able to adequately understand the virtues of PC sims and how they compare and contrast to Forza, but it is objective fact that the physics system in the Forza series is the closest things on consoles today to what the best PC sims are using, while the other game is not. Richard Burns Rally is a fantastic game, but the Forza series is definitely developing the superior model, which is inevitable with each iteration delivering improvement.

You're right, Forza 2 did have bugs and issues, it's not perfect and I won't pretend it is because it is made by human hands, The Elan issue was a bug that was concurrently fixed as were other issues, but I feel as such it is not an argument that can be used against the methodology of the physics system but one that works in their favour as they were able to correct the issue within the engine, I still stand by the fact that Forza's physics model is extremely difficult to break unlike in the other game which can be broken without too much effort.

In regards to the times on Le Mans, I honestly have no idea on it as I have not played the game yet, but I think its fair to see that the game is still not complete and still may have many balance issues and bugs so I do not really see why you are raising such a point as the game is still being worked on, I am sure you can agree with this.

There is no point.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
504x_FM3_Multiplayer_Racing_1.jpg
504x_FM3_Multiplayer_Racing_3.jpg

504x_FM3_Ferrari_F430_1.jpg
504x_FM3_Multiplayer_Racing_2.jpg

504x_FM3_Ferrari_F430_2.jpg
504x_FM3_Lambo_Murcielago_LP640_1.jpg

"The team has also worked to blur the line between the game's offline and online modes when it comes to a player's career."

PGR 2 style career mode? wat! Oh man the game keeps looking better and better!

15xu0ro.jpg

Saiyu

Slayer-33 said:
504x_FM3_Multiplayer_Racing_3.jpg

504x_FM3_Ferrari_F430_1.jpg
504x_FM3_Multiplayer_Racing_2.jpg

504x_FM3_Ferrari_F430_2.jpg
504x_FM3_Lambo_Murcielago_LP640_1.jpg

"The team has also worked to blur the line between the game's offline and online modes when it comes to a player's career."

PGR 2 style career mode? wat! Oh man the game keeps looking better and better!

Was probably one of my most wanted features, Forza 1's was awesome

AMUSIX

Che, please tell me that I'm seeing a shot taken from off the track, and not just shooting over the barrier from another part of the track.

Zhuk

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
The lighting looks better what the fuck is T10 upto che! You mofo's tightening up those graphics? :lol

I'm guessing playing with some photomode stuff to see what people think :)

eso76

yeah, those pics look better and better. i don't know what to think, is the game improving or is Che just playing with photomode settings ? : )

DuckRacer

eso76 said:
yeah, those pics look better and better. i don't know what to think, is the game improving or is Che just playing with photomode settings ? : )
He's adding more detailed car geometry and higher resolution skyboxes.

eso76

DuckRacer said:
He's adding more detailed car geometry and higher resolution skyboxes.

damn you Che, always playing with our feelings..

no really, i was thinking more color - contrast adjustments (which could be easily be implemented in game anyway)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
AMUSIX said:

Che, please tell me that I'm seeing a shot taken from off the track, and not just shooting over the barrier from another part of the track.

seems to be off the track unless it's a far shot looking at a spot before a turn

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
2mw8lkk.jpg

This shot is AMAZING (high res looks even better)! Seems like they just need to put a drop shadow directly under the tires because they don't really seem to be touching the road a lil or correct how the vehicles shadow shows since it might be touching the road but the shadow is making it seem like it's not.

Saiyu

I think that's because of the body roll/camber on the inside wheel than anything. The interior of the Ferrari is my pick of the bunch.

There are plenty of new shots in that FM.net gallery.

They've tweaked the widow opacity so that we can better see those lovely interiors. I believe there's a new driver model as well. Che, any possibility on changing helmet and tracksuit colors? I'd like to look like a certain tame racing driver. :D

erahk64

Slayer-33 said:
2mw8lkk.jpg

This shot is AMAZING (high res looks even better)! Seems like they just need to put a drop shadow directly under the tires because they don't really seem to be touching the road a lil or correct how the vehicles shadow shows since it might be touching the road but the shadow is making it seem like it's not.

Che posted this in the Forza Motorsport forum:

Che said:
The shadow under the wheels issue is sometimes a bug and sometimes a car lifting a wheel or two slightly on a turn. These screens were taken by me a couple weeks ago so that bug has already been resolved.

Keep in mind, the game is still technically alpha code. It will continue to look better and better.

Thanks.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/permalink/2737847/2741170/ShowThread.aspx#2741170

Spaceman Spiff said:
There are plenty of new shots in that FM.net gallery.

They've tweaked the widow opacity so that we can better see those lovely interiors. I believe there's a new driver model as well. Che, any possibility on changing helmet and tracksuit colors? I'd like to look like a certain tame racing driver. :D

Turn 10 should license the Stig and have him pop up from time to time in career mode to challenge you.

Zaptruder

Banned
Now I'm lamenting that this game isn't on the PC.... those visuals are so good, that you wish you could actually play the game like that, super hi res, with max AA and AF and all that.

nib95

Banned
The Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo wheel is far too expensive here. So I ended up getting the Logitech G25 half price with a PLAY discount code. Is there no way there could be an update to make it compatible with Forza 3?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
No, that's physically impossible. It lacks the authentication chip that the 360 requires for its controllers.

You could do it the same way they made the HDMI work for the 360 with HD-DVD addon. The logic missing from the console---in this case the peripheral---is built-in to the cable. Basically it would be an adapter that masquerades as a signed 360 peripheral while remapping input/output between the 360 and non-360 peripherals.

It is definitely not "physically impossible", but definitely something Microsoft would probably never allow. Microsoft would see it as a method to get around their peripheral licensing fees, regardless of whatever good intentions the producers/customers had.

Woo-Fu said:
It is definitely not "physically impossible", but definitely something Microsoft would probably never allow. Microsoft would see it as a method to get around their peripheral licensing fees, regardless of whatever good intentions the producers/customers had.
That's the point though, you'd need an addon... it's impossible without it.

Well, unless MS opened up the console to all controllers, but that's not going to happen.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
That's the point though, you'd need an addon... it's impossible without it.

Well, unless MS opened up the console to all controllers, but that's not going to happen.
I don't think it is impossible for Microsoft to loosen up the requirements via software. If it was strictly a hardware issue then the 360 would not be able to use USB keyboards for anything.

At the end of the day the G25 doesn't work on the 360 for one reason and one reason alone: Microsoft doesn't want it to. Hardware excuses are just that: excuses.

I don't have a problem with that, I knew it going in.

Woo-Fu said:
I don't think it is impossible for Microsoft to loosen up the requirements via software. If it was strictly a hardware issue then the 360 would not be able to use USB keyboards for anything.
It's impossible from a business standpoint. What do they say to those companies that have paid a significant amount of money to be licensed to make controllers for the 360? I somehow doubt they'll be wanting to hand out a bunch of refunds or open themselves to litigation... and for what? To give their own wheel / controllers (which they make tidy money on) more competition?

Yeah, I just don't see it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
It's impossible from a business standpoint. What do they say to those companies that have paid a significant amount of money to be licensed to make controllers for the 360? I somehow doubt they'll be wanting to hand out a bunch of refunds or open themselves to litigation... and for what? To give their own wheel / controllers (which they make tidy money on) more competition?

Yeah, I just don't see it.
...which is not what you said originally. At first you portrayed it as something Microsoft couldn't do, for technical reasons. I consider your current stance to be more accurate. Microsoft's 360 peripheral policy is profiteering, no more, no less. They are not the first to do it, nor will they be the last, I'm sure.

360 fans who want a 360-compatible version of the G25 should petition Logitech to make one, if they haven't already. Logitech has made a 360 wheel in the past, they could make something very similar to the G25 for the 360 if sufficient demand was demonstrated to justify the expense.

No, I said an "update" to the G25 wheel was physically impossible. Which it is.

Add a dongle, sure, change the firmware on the 360, sure... but nothing you do to the G25 will change the situation at all.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
No, I said an "update" to the G25 wheel was physically impossible. Which it is.

Add a dongle, sure, change the firmware on the 360, sure... but nothing you do to the G25 will change the situation at all.

Adding a dongle to the G25 would be an update. Are you limiting your definition of update for the sake of this argument to solely software? :) Even if you did, Logitech is not the one who would be making the software update, Microsoft is.

Microsoft "updated" a number of their wireless wheels to remove the potential for a fire hazard... It wasn't just software.

Of course I'm talking about an update in software.

This is a stupid argument. It's not going to happen for numerous reasons which have been covered again, and again, and again. If anyone bought a G25 in the hope it would eventually be compatible... their mistake.

Hajaz

people need to let go of the whole g25 thing
its obviously not gonna happen. you bought a wheel that was clearly advertised as ps3/pc only...
whats beyond me is how people can buy a g25 at this point , hoping that itll somehow get supported on 360.. atleast wait and see what G27 supports

that said, its ashame that the fanatec wheel is so expensive in europe... maybe ill have someone bring me one from the US if currency rates remain the same

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
Of course I'm talking about an update in software.

This is a stupid argument. It's not going to happen for numerous reasons which have been covered again, and again, and again. If anyone bought a G25 in the hope it would eventually be compatible... their mistake.
Not numerous reasons, one reason. Good luck getting your typical Microsoft apologist to admit it, though. But hey, I agree with you, anybody who bought a a standard USB peripheral and expected it to work on a Microsoft platform with USB ports out of the box was expecting too much. USB, after all, is just as vulnerable to embrace/extend as as any other "standard".

I don't own a G25, BTW. I have a Microsoft Wireless Wheel and a Driving Force GT wheel. I would like to use one wheel for all my platforms but it would be naive of me to expect Microsoft to sacrifice even the tiniest bit of their profitability to give me that option.

Top Bottom