• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 E3 Recap Thread (24 minutes video, tons of infos… check the OP)

new fanatec wheel spotted:

OiZfD.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Oh my GAWD.

I love you guys, I need to go for a triple screen setup but FUCK it's all gong to cost me like $2k JESUS FUCK HELP ME.

two more god damned xboxs and 3 copies of the game + the bucket seat and wheel + sound system and 3 LCD's

G Rom

As said in the previous thread, only the base (big black box) of the wheel is really new, it's Audi branded because it was for an Audi event ! ;)

Akira

Proof of different daytime conditions (if not full daylight simulation)?

From E3 Trailer:

oXmYMl.jpg

From the new video released:

O5IwQl.jpg

Notice the shadow's angle and the overall color temperature of the images.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Akira said:

From E3 Trailer:

oXmYMl

O5IwQl

ULTRA GIGATON.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Akira said:

From E3 Trailer:

http://i.imgur.com/oXmYMl.jpg

[img]http://i.imgur.com/O5IwQl.jpg

Notice the shadow's angle and the overall color temperature of the images.[/QUOTE]

i dunno about proof. could be different builds. didnt the ooolllld leaked video have that same shot too?

G Rom

Yeah, I also noticed that this :
5805387162_5dc790d689_b.jpg

seemed to have different lighting/time of day compared to the Kinect preview we got a few days ago. I didn't post it because I thought it might have been my eyes seeing what I wanted to see... :)

Edit : Those screenshots are in the OP, slayer. ;)

op_ivy

the jalopnik article mentioned a "new lighting engine" too - could be a way to manage ToD changes "inexpensively".

i'd take various time of day settings (or real time) to night racing/weather any day (yes, i'm aware if the lighting engine can accomidate changes in time of day it can likely have night too)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
G Rom said:
Edit : Those screenshots are in the OP, slayer. ;)

Not in DAT resolution bro :p

Anyway.. That 2nd pic... HAS to be a showcasing venue for photomode/screensaver mode.

God damn..

Rims are much more detailed it seems.

G Rom

Yes, they are, they're just linked. The OP is already big enough, I thought that a few 1.5+ MB 1080p shots would have been overkill ! :D

Mobius 1

Akira said:

From E3 Trailer:

oXmYMl.jpg

O5IwQl.jpg

That's just poor color reproduction from the video's low quality. I want those features as well, but don't get your hopes hanging from such straws. :)

eso76

Akira said:

From E3 Trailer:

oXmYMl.jpg

O5IwQl.jpg

or diff builds, or just something made more spectacular for the trailer..
hope not

kamkor

Neo Member
I also noticed that not everything on the dashboard is working on 48th second clip (for example digital speedometer), but it works at 55th second clip.

skyfinch

Slayer-33 said:
xa7kG.gif

you see dat grass?

DAT GRASS off to the left swaying?

In that old leaked preview build, I swear I saw the trees sway in the alpine track. But it was like a half second shot, so I can't be sure.

amar212

JaggedSac said:
I would imagine they would have mentioned day/night cycles if it was available.

Even different daytime settings for each track can do miracles.

Many players today didn't play original F355 Challenge game (Arcades, Dreamcast, PS2) which had a great option called Magic Weather.

Basically, it utilized 8 different daytime settings for each track - from cloudy low-key light mornings to sunny high-key light sunsets - making them *feel" very different everytime you raced them. In Career mode it was random and you could fix particular setting in Arcade mode. It was such a great option and all this years - from 1999 - I wait for such an option in other driving games.

Gran Turismo 3 had a glympse of such with having different lighting setting for original tracks in Reverse direction, but in GT4 the option never made an comeback.

It would be amazing if someone overthere in T10 remembered Magic Weather and decided to make a subtile hommage to master Yu Suzuki genius.

And then just imagine to put such an option into conjuction with track/air temperature and humidity and new tire-model simulation.

For the reference:

bg18_640w.jpg

op_ivy

Norante said:
That's just poor color reproduction from the video's low quality. I want those features as well, but don't get your hopes hanging from such straws. :)

i dont think its PROOF of anything, but look at the cars shadow - its entirely different in the two pictures

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sorry but the hype for the visuals of modern car sims is getting on my nerves.

"Screenshots from the trailer (it was all in-game) : "

Oh the part where it was a garage view?
Or the part where you stare at detail models outside of races?
Or maybe that replay mode with added effects?
Can't wait for all the kewl TOTALLY ingame screens from the photo-mode.

Seriously. I know I totally sound bitter but why is everytime a new forza or GT is coming people shit their pants at the visuals knowing totally well but yet somehow oblivious that it's a completely different story when you're you know...actually driving the cars in real-time.

I buy all the major driving games, and each time I'm dissappointed at the advertised visuals from the pre-release media ( every company and game genre does this but they're always labeled as bullshots but within forza/gt community they're labeled as ingame ), because the in-game visuals never ever ever ever ever match the driving part of the game.

/rant

G Rom

Rewatching the trailer, it's clearly the best gameplay trailer ever put out by Turn 10. It still doesn't beat the best trailer ever made for a racing game (I don't think it can be beaten to be honest) but it's miles ahead of what we got for the previous iterations.
I also like that we didn't get any CG trailer this time ! :)

Edit :

Corky said:
Sorry but the hype for the visuals of modern car sims is getting on my nerves.

"Screenshots from the trailer (it was all in-game) : "

Oh the part where it was a garage view?
Or the part where you stare at detail models outside of races?
Or maybe that replay mode with added effects?
Can't wait for all the kewl TOTALLY ingame screens from the photo-mode.

Seriously. I know I totally sound bitter but why is everytime a new forza or GT is coming people shit their pants at the visuals knowing totally well but yet somehow oblivious that it's a completely different story when you're you know...actually driving the cars in real-time.

I buy all the major driving games, and each time I'm dissappointed at the advertised visuals from the pre-release media ( every company and game genre does this but they're always labeled as bullshots but within forza/gt community they're labeled as ingame ), because the in-game visuals never ever ever ever ever match the driving part of the game.

/rant

This is in-game as in rendered by the console in real-time...
Watch the trailer and the b-roll video. (yes we know the Autovista mode looks better)

saladine1

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172852p1.html

"The idea of simulating physics is like the idea of simulating the weather," said Creative Director Dan Greenawalt.

Whether careening too fast around in a corner in a Mercury Cougar, or riding the line in a Ferrari 599 GTO, I could feel the difference, that point of no return before slamming into a wall.

Utilizing Kinect to "walk" around the car and "touch" points of interest, Forza 4 provides a plethora of technical specs narrated by Forza 3's Peter Egan. Other points on the car describe fun facts as told by the Jeremy Clarkson, courtesy of Forza Motorsports 4's new Top Gear partnership. These stories include hilarious retellings of manufacturer embarrassments and famous, quirky anecdotes behind each car's design choices.

The Showroom experience has around 10 hours of unique content, challenges, and cars to view, but it isn't tied to the vehicles you've earned and purchased through your racing career.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Forza 4
Skyrim
Uncharted 3
Dark Souls
Assassin's Creed: Revelations

All I need from gaming this fall.

"The Showroom experience has around 10 hours of unique content, challenges, and cars to view, but it isn't tied to the vehicles you've earned and purchased through your racing career. "

I called it :p

Wazzim

Banned
Did you guys see those water shaders? Can't be ingame, would love it to be though. It looks amazingly good.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Metalmurphy said:
"The Showroom experience has around 10 hours of unique content, challenges, and cars to view, but it isn't tied to the vehicles you've earned and purchased through your racing career. "

I called it :p

I guess they'll have that hangar mode and other high quality bg's for our purchases though ;( oh well.. Let's see what will happen with time? Maybe they'll add more showcase vehicles.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
G Rom said:
This is in-game as in rendered by the console in real-time...
Watch the trailer and the b-roll video. (yes we know the Autovista mode looks better)

Maybe I'm just not up to date with the lingo but when I think of in-game I think of 100% unequivocally : "you are racing in this racing game / you're shooting in this fps / you're Xing in this X game. "

Looking at this :

This is what the game actually will look like when playing/racing : http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5805545860_cc9883f75b_o.png and nothing else regardless of how unflattering this particular shot maybe. So people having heartattacks at the grass details can reel in their expectations because this happens at every frigging iteration of Forza/GT

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
markao said:
"In many ways," Greenwalt says, "racing is the smallest part of the game." And that's a sign of where Turn 10 wants to take Forza"

:(

Don't feel bad bro, what he means is that they'll be so much shit to do that most people will end up jizzing around the game customizing shit than racing... I know I'll be doing both lol..

Wazzim

Banned
markao said:
"In many ways," Greenwalt says, "racing is the smallest part of the game." And that's a sign of where Turn 10 wants to take Forza"

:(
Does that mean they are going to make the menus super slow and ask for confirmation of every decision you make? Awesome.

G Rom

Updated the OP with the IGN screens+article.

BTW, I hope the LCE has a pass like the L.A. Noire pass or what was once one option in a survey about VIP status, that is a pass that nets you all the future DLC for an overall less expensive price.

Slayer-33 said:
I guess they'll have that hangar mode and other high quality bg's for our purchases though ;( oh well.. Let's see what will happen with time? Maybe they'll add more showcase vehicles.
Who gives a crap about the backgrounds?

I'm sure they'll offer new cars to be used in that mode through DLC.

mclaren777

Risk Breaker said:
16 cars * 1 million polygons = 16 millions of polygons per frame
at 60FPS = 960 million polygons per second!!
I don't for a second believe that the 1m poly cars will be used during gameplay. That will almost surely be for photo mode only.

Vorg

Banned
I want a decent bullshot generator that can export pics at full resolution without the horrible compression in Forza 3.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Metalmurphy said:
Who gives a crap about the backgrounds?

I'm sure they'll offer new cars to be used in that mode through DLC.

Just saying for those 500 cars we'll have some nice backdrops for all of the vehicles (I like to leave the game on when I'm afk in FM3 to show off the car), the showroom mode is separate from what I am reading I am guessing.

I'm hyped anyways.

mclaren777

Slayer-33 said:
THE HANDLING SEEMS MORE LIKE GT 5.
I think the handling looks more like PGR. Based solely on that B-roll footage, I'm very concerned about the direction of FM4. The tires on that MP4-12C looked like they were made out of marshmallows.

Top Bottom