• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Review thread

graybot

Not really a huge racing fan (as in I am not good at them), but it has to be said though the devs for this have to be one of the most consistent around.

Every year they produce the goods. And there simply is no better racing games available on console

And finally xbox are having a cracking month after a below par 2017 with this and Cuphead which looks freaking amazing

N7.Angel

looks like a good racing game but not a great one, I'm loving more Horizon series anyway, this lootbox stuff is awful.

Releasing their games on PC was a mistake. I hope they stop in 2019.

Nah, I think that is a great move but releasing them with big issues is the mistake. They really need to make sure they work right, even if it means delaying a month just to get them right.

Also they really need to sort out that piss poor Windows Store too, if they want to be a major player in the PC gaming market.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which is so stupid. You dont have to use any of those things. Its Not like you are forced to use any of this. Shouldnt Impact Score at All.
No, it absolutely NEEDS to be present in reviews and it should detract from the score.

This decision to include loot crates in this way has a direct impact on the flow and pacing of the game itself. That is something which matters even in a racing game. It's obvious that the path through the game has been impacted by this decision - they've made a worse single player experience in order to support these crates. Grinding through races reduces the amount of fun some users will have with said races.

Then there is the elimination of the risk/reward features that were previously available as a standard option. These are now relegated to loot crates.

If this type of thing is not called out in reviews then where?

For some of us, this is not acceptable. I won't support games that lean hard on this stuff any longer. It's not like there is a shortage of games out there anyways.

You may not care about any of this but a lot of us do. Anything that can help push publishers back from increasing the inclusion of such mechanics is a positive thing.

Again, you're free to disagree with all of this but I don't think it's fair to tell people to not complain about it or not deduct from its review score when it IS so important to others.

supersaw

You're right a small mom and pop developer like Microsoft Studios with no prior experience on the platform shouldn't be held to a high standard for a polished stable release.

horkrux

Yeah, terrible. I'm having too much fun with it because I don't notice any stuttering for some reason. This should be made impossible and they should ruin it for everyone instead.

Jumeira

Banned
No, it absolutely NEEDS to be present in reviews and it should detract from the score.

This decision to include loot crates in this way has a direct impact on the flow and pacing of the game itself. That is something which matters even in a racing game. It's obvious that the path through the game has been impacted by this decision - they've made a worse single player experience in order to support these crates. Grinding through races reduces the amount of fun some users will have with said races.

Then there is the elimination of the risk/reward features that were previously available as a standard option. These are now relegated to loot crates.

For some of us, this is not acceptable. I won't support games that lean hard on this stuff any longer. It's not like there is a shortage of games out there anyways.

You may not care about any of this but a lot of us do. Anything that can help push publishers back from increasing the inclusion of such mechanics is a positive thing.

Again, you're free to disagree with all of this but I don't think it's fair to tell people to not complain about it or not deduct from its review score when it IS so important to others.

Thank you. Its such an intrusive and disruptive mechanic that only exists to tap into some gamers obsessive need to collect, i get some may like it but it has no place in SP games, if it now fundamentally influences game design then thats going too far. It should always be an option thay can be ignored if a gamer wants, im praying MS keep this faaar away from Horizon 4, im depressed at the thought of this taint finding its way into Playground Games hardwork which will consequently end up disgracing it. Im sure the devs do not want this but some marketing dept are trying to shoehorn it in.

Deserved. Game is phenomenal and the loot boxes haven't had an impact on my enjoyment at all.

I'm a masochist who likes the slower progression of old Forza and old GT, so honestly the loot boxes have benefitted me in that way.

Even then the old games were still harder to earn in than FM7 is now. I wonder if they'd be called a grind fest if they came out nowadays?

GHG

I'm a masochist who likes the slower progression of old Forza and old GT, so honestly the loot boxes have benefitted me in that way.

Even then the old games were still harder to earn in than FM7 is now. I wonder if they'd be called a grind fest if they came out nowadays?

The game didn't need lootboxes in order to be a grindfest. It could have been a grindfest without the lootboxes like many games that have come before.

"I like grinding in my games so lootboxes are good" is a very strange way of looking at it.

lying about how vip works and then changing it without telling anyone should go unnoticed?

I think that's important to report but I'm not sure that affects core gameplay and it shouldn't affect the review score. It's a company being deceptive about a package add on for the game.

I agree, Microsoft fucked up with VIP.

Sooooooooooooo...the PC version is full of issues like Horizon 3 or...? Seems to be conflicting reports in here. I guess it's no different than any other PC port thread. Like, 50 guys have similar issues. Those random 3 come out of nowhere and tell people they need to upgrade and their game(the same exact version)is having no issues at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Almost every gaming podcast this week on my feed has spoken heavily about how discouraging and frustrating the new progression is now with the loot and other changes. Some of the discussions go 30-45m just digging into the controversial issues and ending the topic with none of the panel of hosts interested to buy or willing to recommend the game despite it looking visually astounding and seemingly playing just as well as before.

Then I read the OP in this thread and see so much glowing praise that it’s hard to take any of them seriously(or what to think) after the battering I listened too.

Sooooooooooooo...the PC version is full of issues like Horizon 3 or...? Seems to be conflicting reports in here. I guess it's no different than any other PC port thread. Like, 50 guys have similar issues. Those random 3 come out of nowhere and tell people they need to upgrade and their game(the same exact version)is having no issues at all.

For the most part, it has been completely fine for me, but there is one particular event that crashes everytime I beat it. Really annoying as its one of those dumb car bowling challenges. The actual races have been super smooth. Its very strange, but then I had a load of issues with Gears 4 which were related to some software that came with my motherboard, and I've heard at least one person mention Rivatuner was the reason Forza was performing badly for them. Sounds like it could be something silly like that.

MaDKaT

The issues seem to be similar to Horizon. The demo for 7 ran like crap for me. Even still, when the regular edition unlocked I downloaded it. Despite some early crashes it was running better in the menus and during the races. After I updated with the patch, I was able to play for a couple of hours no issues aside from some very minor hitching in the menus. Nothing like what it was for me in the demo though. Still doesn't inspire a lot of confidence but at least compared to Horizon, I seem to be getting more play time vs tinkering.

jayu26

MS, if you want people to start using your dumb PC store you have make games that actually run like they are supposed to.

PC port is bad, stop releasing PC ports altogether! What the fuck?

The game didn't need lootboxes in order to be a grindfest. It could have been a grindfest without the lootboxes like many games that have come before.

"I like grinding in my games so lootboxes are good" is a very strange way of looking at it.

I wouldn't say it the way you worded it, more like "the change I've been wanting to happen happened as a result of microtransaction balance, but either way I'm fine with it".

sourc3d

Almost every gaming podcast this week on my feed has spoken heavily about how discouraging and frustrating the new progression is now with the loot and other changes. Some of the discussions go 30-45m just digging into the controversial issues and ending the topic with none of the panel of hosts interested to buy or willing to recommend the game despite it looking visually astounding and seemingly playing just as well as before.

Then I read the OP in this thread and see so much glowing praise that it’s hard to take any of them seriously(or what to think) after the battering I listened too.

Seems to be two schools of thought going by reviews and personal affectations on here.

If you are relatively new school and have been brought up on instant gratification and cheap mobile games that peddle content at you as a game mechanic to keep interest levels up and make up for the lack of challenge and design elsewhere, you welcome the inclusion of loot boxes much like all the other reward based bells and whistles tacked on to the likes of Fifa or COD to keep people invested.

If you are relatively old school and like your games to provide challenge and longevity through good basic gameplay and thoughtful design with a discernible difficulty curve born out through an entertaining meta game, then this sort of intrusive faux gambling/microtransactional lootfuckery will boil your blood.

I'm OLDSKOOL!!

Heysoos

So if Horizon 3 and Forza 7 demo ran perfectly fine on my PC with no micro stutter that some people seem to get, I should be safe with the full game right? The demo ran like a dream at 60fps locked on my 4K OLED. Looked so nice.

Skyr

So if Horizon 3 and Forza 7 demo ran perfectly fine on my PC with no micro stutter that some people seem to get, I should be safe with the full game right? The demo ran like a dream at 60fps locked on my 4K OLED. Looked so nice.

You're fine then.

Horizon 3 doesn't really have any bearing, but yeah, if the FM7 demo ran fine you're probably safe.

MaDKaT

You will probably be fine

No I actually played the game enough to realize the crates don't bother me in any way.

This is where I'm at too. I understand why some might not like them, but they haven't had any negative impact on how I play the game. I've approached it like I would any other Forza. Some of the mods have added a fun extra gameplay challenge which I've enjoyed.

Theorry

Alot of "lootbox controversy" complety goes above my head really. I really dont notice anything with this game.. Also Destiny 2 had some MT "controversy" with weapon mods. Complety blown up as those or so bad and you probably dont even see them until you look for them and they are blues also lol.

Alot of "lootbox controversy" complety goes above my head really. I really dont notice anything with this game.. Also Destiny 2 had some MT "controversy" with weapon mods. Complety blown up as those or so bad and you probably dont even see them until you look for them and they are blues also lol.

I think much bigger issue is that it impacts progression. I'll get this game for free with Xbox X, but I have to say that progression in Forza 7 just does not seem like fun. I have similar issue with Forza 5... It's kind of crazy that they kind of fixed an issue with 6 and then revised the progression system again...

Gestault

Review from the Inside Sim Racing guys... Agree with this review, playing with the SC off is garbage(I have hope that is a rare bug) and the IA is pure trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbCZPJ1WBw

Oh, this review was much more positive than I expected based on what I got from your chracterization (though he definitely haaaated how sloppy the AI cars acted toward the player). I like his point that the AI, out of the box, needs to be good and get better, rather than start at disruiptive then get better. I think this is a really useful review.

I actually appreciate the "neutral" point on the driving model, re: the improvments on the low/mid-end cars just feeling fun to drive, but the sort of drifty feeling on the higher-end cars that give them a little too much lateral slide. It's funny how instantly his reaction changed to a positive when he enabled STM on higher-end cars (even though that's odd for something like a GT-class car). The middling fidelity on the FFB is what I've been hearing across the board.

cakely

It looks like the loot boxes and the VIP controversy might have made the difference between a 90+ Metacritic score and a 89- Metacritic score for Forza Motorsport 7.

It's a shame, really. I wonder if Microsoft realizes that.

IISANDERII

Nice post.

Also, T10 is still considering the game's economy so feedback like this is one of the only things which can determine how consumer unfriendly their practices are.

I'm happy reviewers are calling it out. Losing the rewards for increasing the difficulty takes away the satisfaction of doing it and is unnecessary in a game like this that has other mtx and dlc I didn't mind and thought were mostly reasonable. This addition in the career was unneeded and deserves to be called out as well as the VIP pass. I will be buying the game but I agree on this being called out and hope they change it.

It looks like the loot boxes and the VIP controversy might have made the difference between a 90+ Metacritic score and a 89- Metacritic score for Forza Motorsport 7.

It's a shame, really. I wonder if Microsoft realizes that.

I wonder if they care as much as some gamers do about one metacritic point difference.

I'm happy reviewers are calling it out. Losing the rewards for increasing the difficulty takes away the satisfaction of doing it and is unnecessary in a game like this that has other mtx and dlc I didn't mind and thought were mostly reasonable. This addition in the career was unneeded and deserves to be called out as well as the VIP pass. I will be buying the game but I agree on this being called out and hope they change it.

I never once changed the difficulty settings in any Forza with a view to earning more credits. I change the difficulty to make the game stay fun as I get better at it. The rewards increasing is a happy coincidence.

Top Bottom