• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

saladine1

squared said:
..read my mind..
Please, don't get me started on this. I can go on for days..

While we are on the subject, when the fuck are we going to get some closure on this?
I can smell the game around the corner but still don't know shit about any of the new/improved/downgrading? of the upgrades/customization and tuning process..
Please Turn 10, put me out of my misery already...

acidspunk said:
lol. Are you trolling?
You know, if there's one thing that Che taught me, then that it's not trolling until you admit it.

Ty4on said:
Maybe you should look at the original. Like with the standard cars in GT5 it's easy to forget how bad games in the last generation looked, especially close up.
Wow, you're right. :lol

brotkasten said:
You know, if there's one thing that Che taught me, then that it's not trolling until you admit it.

Wow, you're right. :lol
And Dat Fanny Pack Swag
e399fx9.jpg

eso76

Ty4on said:
Maybe you should look at the original. Like with the standard cars in GT5 it's easy to forget how bad games in the last generation looked, especially close up.

doesn't look too bad tbh.
it's interesting to see the graphical glitch taking 1 frame to draw shadows when switching cameras was there since the first game...despite T10 having REWRITTEN the engine with each sequel :p

can't wait to see what Positano and Fujimi look like with the lighting upgrades.
They could be glorious.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
saladine1 said:
1 month left for Bernese Alps demo.

OK Turn 10 here's what I want to see for the Australian content reveal trailer.

Screen is black, in the background a revving V8 roars,gearing up and down with some nice overrun effects. Picture then begins to fade in slowly revealing an Aussie V8 cockpit with the driver vigorously working the gears. Then, Men at Work's "Down under" song starts to play.

Camera then pans out to reveal the Aussie car being driven through the Bathurst 'esses' and on it's way to Conrod straight. Then, you feature some flashes of sun and surf, some semi naked clad women in bikinis. You then flash back to the track as the driver makes for the home stretch. As he crosses the finish line, you show a cute koala in a tree eating some eucalyptus leaves as a dingo snatches it out of that tree. The dingo walks away as a fade out transition is shown.
Parting words on the black screen..?
"You Aussies better be grateful for us featuring your shit. Buy our game or suffer the consequences"...
I like this idea! Turn 10 should follow this.

LeBoef

no offense, but i want to see bathurst in just that the aussis stop complaining. cant hear it anymore.
there are many other tracks i'd love to see.

and i dont get it... who wants more aussi cars? those things are...

i prefer spa, istanbul, brands hatch, macau and many others over bathurst

BUT

if you get your bathurst, you re going to be disappointed... why? same reason with nordschleife, there are just noch bumps. like all tracks it will miss bumps...

so i hope, they spent more time in letting us feel the bumps with the wheel than building the desired tracks.
tracks can be sold as DLC, the game engine not

G Rom

Bathurst is one of the most challenging track in the world, that's why many people (not necessarly Australian) want to see it in the game.

6022205748_51e299823e_b.jpg

6022208286_7f2b1b68f3_b.jpg

6021656631_bac41e2be2_b.jpg

6021659453_4d1c3b3089_b.jpg

6022216824_5eb0c2640b_b.jpg

6021663683_3e9859fc9a_b.jpg

6022221326_df43671c3b_b.jpg

The colors on those ALMS tracks look way better than in FM3 and the public is back in but this fucking bloom is ruining some of those shots... :-/
Also, why so much motion blur in all the track photos ?

edit : Beaten on the screenshots but I have higher res ! :p

Seanspeed

Banned
U n i o n 0015 said:
That particular batch of shots doesn't look any better than 3. Interesting.
Aside from the Autovista stuff, nothing I've seen is really noticeably better than before, graphics-wise. Most of the improvements are best seen when shown side-by-side with FM3, but on its own, it doesn't seem like such a massive upgrade.

Seanspeed said:
Aside from the Autovista stuff, nothing I've seen is really noticeably better than before, graphics-wise. Most of the improvements are best seen when shown side-by-side with FM3, but on its own, it doesn't seem like such a massive upgrade.
The lighting was the only issue I had with F3, in this picture it definitely looks improved.
6022221326_df43671c3b_b.jpg

saladine1

Well, there were a few guys who played the E3 demo and have stated that the game doesn't look drastically different from FM3 except for noticeably better lighting which is fine with me..

The lighting is a welcome update. And it looks like they might be using higher LOD models for gameplay, but we'll see. Most of the media so far has been beautiful bullshots.

U n i o n 0015 said:
The lighting is a welcome update. And it looks like they might be using higher LOD models for gameplay, but we'll see. Most of the media so far has been beautiful bullshots.

There have been lots of game play videos.

Jamesways

The Nuscle Milk Aston Lola looks nice, I'm glad we get that new 2011 version. The rest of the cars they've revealed for the license are the old ones in 3, 2008, 2009 verisions.
No new Risi 458 yet, no other tracks.

Bummer.

cbox

They really need to change the time of day on Road Atlanta... I mean it's been the same hazy late afternoon setting since forza 1.

eso76

looks much better than Fm3 to me (not this particular batch of shots in fact).
Shaders and lighting on cars (which was fm3's main issue) alone make a huge difference.

And my arch enemy (SPECULAR HIGHLIGHT) has gone.

soundscream said:
There have been lots of game play videos.

Yeah, but mostly off-camera stuff, IIRC. And only one official trailer so far.

So I'm guessing we won't get the classic Gulf livery for the Aston? I imagine it won't take long for someone to re-create it.

They should have different liveries selectable just like colors when you go to buy the car or change the paint color.

U n i o n 0015 said:

So I'm guessing we won't get the classic Gulf livery for the Aston? I imagine it won't take long for someone to re-create it.

They should have different liveries selectable just like colors when you go to buy the car or change the paint color.
But even then you can still see the improvement over F3.

eso76

U n i o n 0015 said:

direct feed too.
2 official trailers, 3 counting the top gear track mini trailer, plus ign and gamespot direct feed.
Also quite a huge difference in cockpit view because of new shaders for dashboards.

G Rom

Don't forget the B-roll movie which is still the best direct feed footage we got quality wise.

The colors, lighting and shaders are vastly improved over FM3 (even in those shots) which is what everyone asked for. Can't wait to see the game in person and to play with the (hopefully improved) photo mode.
What bothers me really is the bloom on the headlights in BMW shots, it looks like the specular reflection from FM3 mentioned by eso, which ruined many potential photos.

saladine1

G Rom said:
Don't forget the B-roll movie which is still the best direct feed footage we got quality wise.

The colors, lighting and shaders are vastly improved over FM3 (even in those shots) which is what everyone asked for. Can't wait to see the game in person and to play with the (hopefully improved) photo mode.
What bothers me really is the bloom on the headlights in BMW shots, it looks like the specular reflection from FM3 mentioned by eso, which ruined many potential photos.
What would you like to see in photmode G Rom?

Nice shots IMO.

If Grom hasn't replied by the time I post this I'll take a stab at the 'issue' being the shitty compression that F3 had, I recon F4 will be the same, which is bullshit.

Anyways, if they do get rid of the compression, the one other thing I want is better camera angles in photomode, like originally promised in F3!!

Can't wait for gamescon.

G Rom

- Fix the storefront mess by making USB export the easiest possible
- Near lossless/lossless 1080p (absolute minimum resolution, higher would be better for 27+")
- Ability to go nearly anywhere on the track
- Ability to go higher than 2m (WTF at not being able to go above some cars...)
- I prefer realistic pictures (that's what I aim at in my shots) but more filters like in PGR4/GT5 (noise, B&W and colors mix, etc...) would be welcomed by some I think
- Never gonna happen but having the ability to fine tune each color saturation independantly would be nice too
- Cockpit photos
- Full LOD (including textures, I dropped liveries in my photos because of how terible they looked in photos) on every cars
- (much) better texture filtering (lots of zoomed shots look ugly in FM3 because of the poor filtering on the road)
- More realistic motion blur, current one looks too video game
- More realistic depth of field, current one looks like a simple gaussian blur
- Allow players/Turn 10 to hold competitions (would work for hot lap, painting, etc...) directly in the game so that I don't have to interact with the awful FM.net community forums

That's off the top of my head. All of those things have a very slim chance of being implemented though as Turn 10 doesn't seem to care much about the photo mode going by the silence about it at E3 and the previous installments. That's a shame because photo mode is the best possible viral marketing any game (especially one with so much UGC in it) can have IMO...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
G Rom said:
- Fix the storefront mess by making USB export the easiest possible
- Near lossless/lossless 1080p (absolute minimum resolution, higher would be better for 27+")
- Ability to go nearly anywhere on the track
- Ability to go higher than 2m (WTF at not being able to go above some cars...)
- I prefer realistic pictures (that's what I aim at in my shots) but more filters like in PGR4/GT5 (noise, B&W and colors mix, etc...) would be welcomed by some I think
- Never gonna happen but having the ability to fine tune each color saturation independently would be nice too
- Cockpit photos
- Full LOD (including textures, I dropped liveries in my photos because of how terible they looked in photos) on every cars
- (much) better texture filtering (lots of zoomed shots look ugly in FM3 because of the poor filtering on the road)
- More realistic motion blur, current one looks too video game
- Allow players/Turn 10 to hold competitions (would work for hot lap, painting, etc...) directly in the game so that I don't have to interact with the awful FM.net community forums

That's off the top of my head. All of those things have a very slim chance of being implemented though as Turn 10 doesn't seem to care much about the photo mode going by the silence about it at E3 and the previous installments. That's a shame because photo mode is the best possible viral marketing any game (especially one with so much UGC in it) can have IMO...

That alone would enable insanely awesome shots.

For now we'll have to make that happen independently on our PC's with editing.

Xanadu

Banned
Ty4on said:
forza 1 looks much better than that video, 240p rofl..

soundscream said:
The lighting was the only issue I had with F3, in this picture it definitely looks improved.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6142/6022221326_df43671c3b_b.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]
great lighting here

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I just popped in Forza 1 and it still holds up pretty well. That being said I still prefer 2 to 1 and 3 to 2. Looking forward to the revamped career in 4 however.

saladine1

LeBoef said:
btw, going to play it next wednesday at the gamescom.
do you want me to watch out for any specific things?
Well, the obvious comparisons in handling over FM3, the sounds, if there are any 'hollywood style effects' implemented, track surfaces, suspension movement/bodyroll on cars...

G Rom

GC demo will probably be Hockenheimring. It seems logical to reveal the track there.

Better FM1 Fujimi Kaido video. :)

You can also see higher resolution versions of those screenshots (read 2560x1440) in our Flickr set.

This Aston Martin screenshot looks better than the others because the car is in the shadow Xanadu. You can hide many shortcomings by placing the car in the shadow in FM3.

G Rom said:
GC demo will probably be Hockenheimring. It seems logical to reveal the track there.

Better FM1 Fujimi Kaido video. :)

You can also see higher resolution versions of those screenshots (read 2560x1440) in our Flickr set.

This Aston Martin screenshot looks better than the others because the car is in the shadow Xanadu. You can hide many shortcomings by placing the car in the shadow in FM3.
The GC demo will probably be the E3 demo, because the alps track is Turn10's new baby.

eso76

dunno, all these 2560 and 5thousandsomething screenshots are spoiling me.
But i'd take high quality 1080p gladly.

- Never gonna happen but having the ability to fine tune each color saturation independantly would be nice too

well, while i love photomode i don't think i would like the idea of making the game look completely different from what it really looks like. That's the kind of fine tuning you can always do in photoshop. Ideally, T10 should have fine tuned the colors in some of the track to match the lighting.

Ram constraints i'm assuming. This batch of screenshots shows this won't be the case as a couple cars we see there are the low-ish poly lod. Obviously cpu cars. So i guess full lod is only for your car during replays. Maybe just for single player events even.

bokeh filter would be great

But again, i'd prefer if photomode didn't diverge this much from the real game. Heck, they could even let you render the image with raytracing and radiosity enabled, but if the result was something completely different from the game then what would the point be ?

Also, no comparison shots with fm3's Road Atlanta yet ? Gaf, i am disappoint.

G Rom

I'm not at home so I don't have my 360 to do some comparison shots... :p

I don't get this "it won't look like the game". It's already the case, the whole point of the photo mode is to bullshot cars and tracks of the game.

I mean, FM3 looks nowhere near this good during gameplay or replay in term of models, AA, etc... :

5926455227_4d896ebc51_o.jpg

5898895982_4957eafece_o.jpg

5262961253_507a2a8983_o.jpg

Fake edit : Loving the new trees ! Look so much better !

Mascot

saladine1 said:
The 5 locales statement isn't nessacarily set in stone though.

But it is finger-written in wet cement.

faux-edit: those ALMS screenies are looking HAWT. Not a huge improvement over FM3, but still noticable. I want to hug those trees.

real edit: LOL, watching the ALMS highlights on Motors TV right now (why no HD, Motors TV?) and a "Forza Mid-Race Recap" message just appeared on-screen, complete with FM4 logo.

GREAT use of the licence :lol

Another edit: even if there's no night races in FM4, we need working headlights on the cars, even if they don't cast light on the track. The ALMS cars look fantastic powering around in daylight with theirs lit up.

eso76

G Rom said:
I'm not at home so I don't have my 360 to do some comparison shots... :p

I don't get this "it won't look like the game". It's already the case, the whole point of the photo mode is to bullshot cars and tracks of the game.

I mean, FM3 looks nowhere near this good during gameplay or replay in term of models, AA, etc... :

i generally take pics of cpu cars, so it's not really cheating, besides AA :)

Anyway, great job with the comparison pics.
They fixed a lot of stuff that looked wrong in fm3.
Lighting: one of Fm3 main issues was cars were lit by a single light source.
Despite most cars in these pics being white, you can tell they receive lights from different sources: direct orange-ish sunlight on one side, blu fill-light from the sky etc.
Hdr reflections mean much more realistic environment mapping (where a luminous blue sky actually 'tints' the car).
Specular highlight is gone ! We will be able to take pics of our cars in the sun !
Materials: chrome and headlights are almost mirror-like (as they should be) and headlights glass finally isn't semi opaque.
Improved fresnel for glass and metal.
These might look like subtle changes at first but will make a huge difference in motion.
Thank God they changed those trees in Road Atlanta, with similar improvements i can see myself enjoying tracks i always tried to skip in Fm3 (Motegi and Road America, because of the stupid bloom, Sedona, with that overdone orange tint etc).

I really should stopping looking in this thread. Everytime I do I see something that makes me want to pre-order it, but don't know if I'll be able to afford the game at launch.

Mascot

GazzaScotland said:
I really should stopping looking in this thread. Everytime I do I see something that makes me want to pre-order it, but don't know if I'll be able to afford the game at launch.

Pre-order, then cancel!

Duallusion

Love the improvements in lighting department. And trees!

I hope we'll be able to choose "no-damage-AT-ALL" (or perhaps "mechanical-but-not-visual") option this time. I'm not much of a photographer (or a racing driver, for that matter), but if I wanted to take a nice racing photo mid-race in F3, I had to be really careful not to even slightly bump any other car if I didn't want to have my tail lights or car paint immediately swapped with those (pretty lame but still much better then nothing) "damage textures". That and proper exporting might actually make me take more photos this time around.

Apologies if that no-damage option actually was available in F3 and I've missed it.

Top Bottom