• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Xanadu

Banned
AlmostMilk said:
Based off of the screenshots, does anybody else think that the actual track looks way worse than forza 3?
no? they look about the same to me, the trees look a little better in 4 in some shots

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
AlmostMilk said:
Based off of the screenshots, does anybody else think that the actual track looks way worse than forza 3?
I highly doubt the tracks will look worse than 3 what you are seeing is probably more blurring than usual on the track because of how the pictures were taken.

demotivational_poster_iroc_z.jpg

Shaneus

They may look kinda similar and if they do, I honestly don't mind all that much... so long as you can "feel" the delicacies in the road. Mulsanne Straight feels so much better in GT5 than F3 purely because you can feel every little bump on it, despite not actually looking much different.

Mascot

NullPointer said:
The thing is though, the fictional tracks just look a lot better. So many real world tracks are flat and boring, especially within Forza's graphics engine.

But I agree, at least for me, having a wealth of tracks is more important than having a wealth of cars.

It's worth remembering that you can also race fictional circuits in reverse, so you effectively get two tracks for the price of one.

Edit:

Turn 10 said:
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 (new)

Another car unsuitable for racing, another car I'll probably never drive.

Going back to that "Making of Alps" video: the more I think about it, the more the whole exercise seems like a waste of time and money. Why go to the expense of sending half-a-dozen people overseas to "map" a fictional track when a few keystrokes on Google Images will instantly give you all the data you need? It's not like they were measuring or recording video and images of a real-life track to ensure accuracy, is it? I can't help thinking the resources involved in this making this video could have been better employed elsewhere (in Belgium, for example), unless of course the point of the whole thing was just to make a wanky video showing how obsessed with detail Turn 10 is. And for a bunch of people to get a free holiday, of course.

Fuck, it appears that I am in a bad mood this morning. Need coffee.

LeBoef

there is nothing worse than driving a fictional track in

- a short circuit
- a medium circuit
- a long circuit

for a million times and to do it all over again in reverse. especially narrow tracks with R1 cars.

i like maple valley, but almost all fictional tracks accure stupid to me. especially, when it is supposed to be a kind of open road. who the hell builds serpentines which have a zillion different angles.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Another car unsuitable for racing, another car I'll probably never drive.

Need coffee.
Yeah, but there's a heap of cars in FM that are unsuitable for racing. We all should know by now that Forza isn't just about racing. Actually, it's all about the cars according to Greenawalt.
A classic impala appeals to a lot of people who would love just to admire the car, take photos, upgrade and customize, perhaps drag race the car.
I for one welcome all cars whether they are classic, bog stock production, race variants, super cars and everything in between..

Make sure you have a couple of cups of coffee...

AMUSIX

shinnn said:
Forza Garage Today

1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409 (new)
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z

http://i53.tinypic.com/34pesth.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The amount of classic American steel being added to the game is incredible. In Forza 2, it was damn easy to know which muscle I was adding to my garage. In Forza 3, it became a bit more of a difficult decision. Now it looks like Turn 10 is going to make me spend days on figuring out my main driver.

Now all they need to do is announce this beauty...they do that, my decision gets a hell of a lot easier...
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kbaj2.jpg

LeBoef

supersaw said:
The Italian and French

no mate... i ve been through italy, france and the alps in between with my motorcycle.
never ending serpentines and turns - yes... but no streets that were build by a drunken sailor.

saladine1

AMUSIX said:
The amount of classic American steel being added to the game is incredible. In Forza 2, it was damn easy to know which muscle I was adding to my garage. In Forza 3, it became a bit more of a difficult decision. Now it looks like Turn 10 is going to make me spend days on figuring out my main driver.

Now all they need to do is announce this beauty...they do that, my decision gets a hell of a lot easier...
kbaj2.jpg
Well, according to the list I posted the other day, we might be seeing this:

eI9ec.jpg

The '68 Hurst/Olds.

In all honesty though I would rather see the '69 Hurst/Olds

5uUpE.jpg

Either way, good times are ahead...very good times..

LeBoef said:
no mate... i ve been through italy, france and the alps in between with my motorcycle.
never ending serpentines and turns - yes... but no streets that were build by a drunken sailor.

You sure avoided those streets in the alps good sir, because I lived in the Alps for 20 years. Basically most streets look like they were made by one eyed drunken sailors. It's gotten better lately, a bit at least.

eso76

LeBoef said:

streets in Positano are a lot worse in reality than they are in Fm3 actually.
A LOT worse.

You might argue whether or not it makes sense to include them in a racing game. And to me it does. Now, having to race in Positano with R1 cars makes absolutely no sense, but anything below class A cars is great fun.

saladine1

Q.With Clarkson's voice narrative on different cars, are you worried he might go too far? Do manufacturers mind?

A. I’m sure they will mind. But we have struck a very honest relationship with our licensers, the different manufacturers saying ‘our physics are what our physics are – if your car understeers, it’s going to understeer in the game’. Or if it has issues with weight, it’s going to have them in the game. So we’ve already struck a very honest relationship where there’s no way to get honest treatment in our game.

And on top of that we told them that we’re going to be working with Top Gear, and that we aren’t in a position, nor do we want to be in a position, to edit Top Gear. We want this to be an equal relationship, where they provide the colour commentary, and we provide the play-by-play. So we told the manufacturers they’re going to be treated as fairly in our game as they are on Top Gear itself.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1009670/forza_4_dan_greenawalt_turn_10_interview.html

Interesting. I was wondering how they achieved what they did..

Mascot

saladine1 said:
Yeah, but there's a heap of cars in FM that are unsuitable for racing. We all should know by now that Forza isn't just about racing. Actually, it's all about the cars according to Greenawalt.
A classic impala appeals to a lot of people who would love just to admire the car, take photos, upgrade and customize, perhaps drag race the car.
I for one welcome all cars whether they are classic, bog stock production, race variants, super cars and everything in between..

Make sure you have a couple of cups of coffee...
Now fully caffeined up and feeling much better..!
Apologies to the muscle fans. These cars are not generally my thing but I know plenty of people are excited by the greater emphasis on them in FM4.

I still think the Alps jolly was a glorified holiday though...

;)

The old muscle cars are quite a lot of fun in low class races– give them better suspension and tires (the oft-unavailable 'street tire' upgrade is usually a huge boost in grip).

Mascot said:
Now fully caffeined up and feeling much better..!
Apologies to the muscle fans. These cars are not generally my thing but I know plenty of people are excited by the greater emphasis on them in FM4.

I still think the Alps jolly was a glorified holiday though...

;)

It's OK. Anyway I do love all these muscle cars in FM4. I didn't care much for them when I was younger, but now that I am older I have a new found appreciations for them and their places in automotive history. Also not many games have muscle cars in them, if they do it usually just the tokens one. It's nice that we get more than just the usual Mustangs and Camero.

saladine1

brotkasten said:
This explains everything! Microsoft couldn't get the Porsche license, because Porsche was afraid of Clarkson's opinion! :lol
Fuuuu, Porsche would have to be one new aged, sensitive group if that were the case,lol..

Edit:
antiquegamer said:
It's OK. Anyway I do love all these muscle cars in FM4. I didn't care much for them when I was younger, but now that I am older I have a new found appreciations for them and their places in automotive history. Also not many games have muscle cars in them, if they do it usually just the tokens one. It's nice that we get more than just the usual Mustangs and Camero.
This is a very good point. I understand many people only know of a Camaro Z28 or a Mustang GT350 for example but it's the lesser known models that deserve a spot in a agme for once.
I mean, how many games over these years have featured a Buick GSX Stage 1, Ford Gran Torino, Chevrolet Impala SS, Oldsmobile 442, Chevy Nova, AMC Machine..etc?
Not many that I know of..
Kudos to Turn 10 for thinking outside of the box...

RayStorm

Mascot said:
It's worth remembering that you can also race fictional circuits in reverse, so you effectively get two tracks for the price of one.

I'm kind of surprised that driving in reverse/mirrored alongside old/different track-layouts would not be license-able.

Well actually I kind of get why reverse wouldn't be, but what about former layouts? With the Circuit de la Sarthe they actually did it, but what about Catalunya without the terrible chicane at the end? Call it GP '95 or something and instantly have more variety with little additional work. Or leaving out the Mercedes Arena at Nürburgring GP alongside with using the other chicane variant near the end.

Or Hockenheim, while being more work than Catalunya and Nürburging GP, I'd love to have an option to drive the classic variant through the woods. But who knows perhaps that actually is in the cards?

Also I do like the fictional tracks, and I would love for some more outlandish ones to be included. But then again I don't know how Joypolis2020 would work without the Phantom FFR car.

adelante

saladine1 said:
I mean, how many games over these years have featured a Buick GSX Stage 1, Ford Gran Torino, Chevrolet Impala SS, Oldsmobile 442, Chevy Nova, AMC Machine..etc?
Don't forget that Mercury Cougar Eliminator! That dash... :O

saladine1

RayStorm said:
I'm kind of surprised that driving in reverse/mirrored alongside old/different track-layouts would not be license-able.

Well actually I kind of get why reverse wouldn't be, but what about former layouts? With the Circuit de la Sarthe they actually did it, but what about Catalunya without the terrible chicane at the end? Call it GP '95 or something and instantly have more variety with little additional work. Or leaving out the Mercedes Arena at Nürburgring GP alongside with using the other chicane variant near the end.

Or Hockenheim, while being more work than Catalunya and Nürburging GP, I'd love to have an option to drive the classic variant through the woods. But who knows perhaps that actually is in the cards?

Also I do like the fictional tracks, and I would love for some more outlandish ones to be included. But then again I don't know how Joypolis2020 would work without the Phantom FFR car.
SHIFT 2 has the classic versions of the current tracks. An awesome idea which should be replicated more often..

supersaw

I must say I would be somewhat against having real tracks in reverse, I race sims like iRacing and racing memorable tracks in reverse would do serious damage to my brain. I'd rather just have more real tracks and less crappy cars.

I hope the higher difficulty settings allow for more laps per career event. 3 laps is a warmup not a race.

Mascot

saladine1 said:

I must admit, it’d be nice if Turn 10 shared some of the love they show for classic American muscle with British marques like Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, Daimler and Jenson. There’s a lot more to the classic British sports car scene than E-Type Jags and DB5s.

Seeing what a few choice upgrades would do to my old MGB would make me very happy indeed.

ShapeGSX

shinnn said:
BADNED new signature may be hinting at the old beetle. Nice.

You could put the XBox at your feet and pretend it is the heater for full immersion! Actually, the XBox might work too well.

eso76

shinnn said:
BADNED new signature may be hinting at the old beetle. Nice.

And one week until Gamescom!

Fuuu
That's scary, I was just thinking Forza should feature the old beetle yesterday :'D
amazing if true

saladine1

Mascot said:
I must admit, it’d be nice if Turn 10 shared some of the love they show for classic American muscle with British marques like Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, Daimler and Jenson. There’s a lot more to the classic British sports car scene than E-Type Jags and DB5s.

Seeing what a few choice upgrades would do to my old MGB would make me very happy indeed.
I agree with you there. I understand that a U.S based developer would be a little biased towards their classic cars, as it is with Polyphony and their Japanese cars...
Yep, some classic British cars would be delightful..

Mascot said:
I must admit, it’d be nice if Turn 10 shared some of the love they show for classic American muscle with British marques like Triumph, MG, Austin Healey, Daimler and Jenson.

Better be able to drop an LS3 in there.

LeBoef

eso76 said:
streets in Positano are a lot worse in reality than they are in Fm3 actually.
A LOT worse.

You might argue whether or not it makes sense to include them in a racing game. And to me it does. Now, having to race in Positano with R1 cars makes absolutely no sense, but anything below class A cars is great fun.

yes you are right when saying they are worse. they are full of potholes and different tarmac quality. (something missing ingame)
my point is, that turns ingame do have too many different angles, especially strange ones.

roads dont stay flat all the time, they descend on the mostly used part. they descent if the underground becomes unstable. they get potholes... yes true..

but i have the feeling when driving positano or fujimi that they said "oh we cant reproduce potholes or the wear of a street. so let us implement crazy random angles"
thats just my opinion. never seen a cobbled street going up a meter and down again. thats just absurd.

people build them straight at first, and they start to descend and fall apart.

i think i started to mislike fictional tracks, when they exaggerated. every car has to be on every track. same goes with alfa giula on huge race tracks. thats just not necessary.

i would like the idea of doing the single player mode this way:
road cars on road tracks
"race" cars on race tracks (sportscars, club sport, pure racecars, etc)

@dan interview
do you guys hear his voice too while reading his interview? o_O

adelante

LeBoef said:
@dan interview
Lol same here...I think the word "incubate" might've triggered it. Or maybe it's the hunger for new media getting to my head =/

saladine1

adelante said:
Lol same here...I think the word "incubate" might've triggered it. Or maybe it's the hunger for new media getting to my head =/
Lol, FM3's buzz word was 'definitive', FM4's 'incubate'..anyone remember FM2 and 1's choice words?

Anyway, still waiting for a megaton reveal. When's GC again?

Mascot

LeBoef said:
@dan interview
I hear King Leonidas from 300, shouting every word from the top of his lungs.

saladine1 said:
Lol, FM3's buzz word was 'definitive', FM4's 'incubate'..anyone remember FM2 and 1's choice words?

FM was "more than 100 polygons per car!!" and FM2 was "awesome specular highlights!".

eso76

2011080814202405vdov.jpg

6021663683_3e9859fc9a_b.jpg

i just noticed this is an unfair comparison.

If you look closely, the bmw in fm4 shot isn't the full photomode lod model, and upon closer inspection, that's the case with most pics from this batch.

Ty4on

saladine1 said:

Anyway, still waiting for a megaton reveal. When's GC again?
Don't remember the buzz words, but the big deal with FM2 was 60fps and the new physics engine running at 360hz.

adelante

eso76 said:
http://www.abload.de/img/2011080814202405vdov.jpg[//IMG]
[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/6021663683_3e9859fc9a_b.jpg[//IMG]

i just noticed this is an unfair comparison.

If you look closely, the bmw in fm4 shot isn't the full photomode lod model, and upon closer inspection, that's the case with most pics from this batch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed that when I first saw it too, the polygonal edges of the window gave it away for me but it's easy to become engrossed with the improved lighting on all the cars onscreen heh

shinnn

Duallusion said:
There's a new feature on UK Xbox Live (Inside Xbox) on Forza 4. Sorry if old but it wasn't there yesterday.
Thanks, it's new. But don't show anything new =p

I'll try upload to youtube.

Top Bottom