• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex open beta arrives May 5 on Windows 10, system reqs revealed

Pjsprojects

Is anyone using a Xbox 360 Wireless controller on the PC with this game, but instead with one of those cheaper knock-off wireless dongles? Forza just doesn't want to recognize my controller, although it works fine in 99% of all my other PC games.

Also, how do I create an .exe shortcut for this game that I can add to Steam?

Being a Windows 10 game means Xbox one controller so I doubt an old 360 controller will work.
As for a shortcut I don't think these Xbox app games have a .exe so it might not be possible.

Pjsprojects

I'm not into racing games at all, but i'm really enjoying this game on PC, maxed out on my GTX980 it's just awesome

Odd game to max,if I run at 4k then some stuff has to be on high but at 1440 everything on ultra which I guess is down to only having 4gb vram :-(

LilJoka

I've played every event now, 3 tokens each early. Think I'm on 51 tokens.

I guess I have to wait for new spotlight events to open up so I can unlock the rest of the cars?

LilJoka

Yep or buy them at 79p each.

Lol yeh won't be buying them.

I'd like to say I've had 0 crashes or issues while playing every single event in the game. Atleast over 2hours drive time I think.

Some downsides to Forza
The steering assist is MASSIVE. The dampening gives you the feeling of sluggish steering and abysmal steering response.
It seems like the assist got worse after Forza 4, where it was mild and enjoyable. Now it means every single car has understeer into corners and oversteer out of corners. It reminds me of the Codies F1 games - you need to anticipate the assist, turn early, and if you have the right speed at the apex you'll ace the turn and smash the power without issue after it.

Simulation steering is broken for pads and nothing like in Forza 4.

OrangeOak

I think this is pretty much the full release,just bug fixing.

Expect paid for tracks and cars to be the norm.

Thanks.
That is a little disappointing. I hoped for at least 2-3 more tracks.
I would be willing to pay for content and play it on PC with better graphics if I would't have full game on xbox.
I hope Forza 7 will be released on both platforms!

Pjsprojects

Lol yeh won't be buying them.

I'd like to say I've had 0 crashes or issues while playing every single event in the game. Atleast over 2hours drive time I think.

Some downsides to Forza
The steering assist is MASSIVE. The dampening gives you the feeling of sluggish steering and abysmal steering response.
It seems like the assist got worse after Forza 4, where it was mild and enjoyable. Now it means every single car has understeer into corners and oversteer out of corners. It reminds me of the Codies F1 games - you need to anticipate the assist, turn early, and if you have the right speed at the apex you'll ace the turn and smash the power without issue after it.

I turned steering assist off and only have abs braking,plays much better.in fact it seems sharper for me than playing Forza 6 on X1.

As for problems with Apex,I've had none and sadly have purchased a few cars :)

LilJoka

I turned steering assist off and only have abs braking,plays much better.in fact it seems sharper for me than playing Forza 6 on X1.

As for problems with Apex,I've had none and sadly have purchased a few cars :)

I play all assists off. Except steering on normal rather than simulation.

And yes the steering response is faster than F6 on Xbox, but go back to F2/3/4 and you'll notice a big difference in the (hidden and always on) steering assist.

To clarify I'm talking about the built in steering assist, not the assist in the options menu.

I don't even want to drive the cars lol just want them unlocked for the sake of it.

Being a Windows 10 game means Xbox one controller so I doubt an old 360 controller will work.
As for a shortcut I don't think these Xbox app games have a .exe so it might not be possible.
I can use my wireless 360 controller with apex just fine, my dongle is a non official so I had to force windows to use the wireless drivers with it before it would pick up my controller in windows

Even the Logitech F310, which is designed to be like a 360 controller as far as software is concerned, works right out of the box with this game. I'm thinking it's not the controller...

Lol other games from ms support xbox 360 gear over xone stuff. Dont know why this would support 360 controllers. KI for example only supported 360 sticks.

Dina

I can use my wireless 360 controller with apex just fine, my dongle is a non official so I had to force windows to use the wireless drivers with it before it would pick up my controller in windows

I had to reinstall the Dongle with 2015 drivers instead of the old Windows 7 drivers (dated 2009). Anyway, it's working again.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. Forza won't boot with Nvidia drivers 365.19. I get the following error:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/error-code-lookup?code=AP301

You get the following error code when you try to launch Forza Motorsport 6: Apex:

AP301

This means that an incompatible graphics driver is detected and there may be known issues with your current GPU manufacturer’s driver version.

Please check to make sure that your driver version is: NVIDIA 365.10, AMD 16.5.1, Intel Beta 15.40.23.4444 or newer.

Well, that "newer" part isn't working. :/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
On the Forza forums, I found that you can override the error by holding PgUp while choosing exit. Just did two races and the game seems to run flawless so far on ultra settings! Which makes the error message even more baffling...

Just downloaded the game. Are wheels still not supported? I want to bust out my T300.

First: Nobody knows if non-xbox licensed wheels will be supported by Apex (afaik).
Second: They are not just patching in wheels into Apex, they are patching general support for wheels into DX12 DirectInput, so expect wheel support more on the later than the sooner side.

TheTurboFD

First: Nobody knows if non-xbox licensed wheels will be supported by Apex (afaik).
Second: They are not just patching in wheels into Apex, they are patching general support for wheels into DX12 DirectInput, so expect wheel support more on the later than the sooner side.

Ah ok thanks!

Ah ok thanks!
fingers crossed they'll support non-xbox licensed wheels as well ...and especially all the old G25/27 wheels. I don't believe MS makes a ton of money from licensing, it should be an affordable gesture towards PC-gaming culture to include the wheels with the by far largest install base... and a pointer to Sony where the industry is going [that Fanatec situation on the PS4 seems like a joke, really]. Also a nice FU to Logitech "hey, remember you didn't want to buy a license for your G27 wheels so you don't just sell G27 wheels to people looking for a wheel, but also people who already own a G27 that would then have to buy a new G29/G920, even though it's practically the same? Well... we decided G27 owners get to play our games anyway ;) "

I know a lot of anti-UWP people would spin this into "don't congratulate them for doing things that are standard everywhere else on PC", but in my mind it would be a big pro-consumer decision on side of Microsoft, even though I own a Thrustmaster TX base anyway.

The racing itself is great but I'm a little disappointed by no 21:9 support and the graphics overall. Narrator that you can't skip is obnoxious. Sound effects are cartoonish.

Hawk269

I am at a loss here. After the latest patch, I can't seem to figure out where to change the number of AI drivers to max out at 23. In free play I can select between 1-15 AI drivers, but before the patch in the options menus there was an option to increase them, you cold not see it because the menu would not go down further, but prior to the patch I was playing free play with 23 ai drivers and now I can't.

Shaneus

Oh, so that's what it is! I thought it felt like it was a bit off, but it feels really bad with a pad. 360 wireless, but I was just having all sorts of problems with it.

Is it worthwhile taking it back a notch to "professional" (or whatever that option was)?

velociraptor

This is literally the best driving game I have ever played. And it's free. Top hats to you MS. I also applaud Turn 10 for the music choice. I am almost always disappointed at racing game soundtracks but this is just fantastic. Graphics have also surprised me - looks far better than I expected.

Too bad the game crashes quite often.

BTW is there any way to skip the intro videos? Also what are recommended settings for a 970 GTX?

This is literally the best driving game I have ever played. And it's free. Top hats to you MS. I also applaud Turn 10 for the music choice. I am almost always disappointed at racing game soundtracks but this is just fantastic. Graphics have also surprised me - looks far better than I expected.

Too bad the game crashes quite often.

BTW is there any way to skip the intro videos? Also what are recommended settings for a 970 GTX?

1080p? Maxed out everything.
1440p? Same, but cut the MSAA down a few notches.

LilJoka

Oh, so that's what it is! I thought it felt like it was a bit off, but it feels really bad with a pad. 360 wireless, but I was just having all sorts of problems with it.

Is it worthwhile taking it back a notch to "professional" (or whatever that option was)?

Just put it back to Normal.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
bTKISz9.png

The store has update notes now.

Played a few races last night under the new patch, so far a good 90% of the frame stutter is gone (on 16GB) but watching a replay the game froze for about 6 seconds to do stuff.

Replay performance still feels really poor and choppy compared to locked 60 gameplay with my mix of medium and high settings, it's getting better though!

Sound effects have an issue of cutting in and out compared to the console version, most noticible in a replay hearing the tyres on and off like it's flickering.

Seems DXtory doesn't work so well after the updates. Will only work on some menu/loading screens.

The NVidia drivers crashes have stopped for me though.

Kyaw

What kind of graphical settings should I be working with for an i5 4690k @4.4GHz, 8gb RAM and 680GTX?

Does the game work with the PS4 controller?

What kind of graphical settings should I be working with for an i5 4690k @4.4GHz, 8gb RAM and 680GTX?

Does the game work with the PS4 controller?
You'll be good on high. I use a ps4 controller with ds4windows and it works well in this game as in any other games that suppor xinput.

I'm starting to get stutter again after a few races, not changed any settings since a few days ago.

I have noticed that on my i5 it loves to max out core 0 and 2 but leaves core 1 and 3 at about 30% which feels like a waste

Got this installed today and appear to be stuck on the loading screen indefinitely. The logo on the right is turning, audio looping but nothing is happening. Alt-tab alsl causes the app the crash.

6700K/980Ti/8GB all stock.

Got this installed today and appear to be stuck on the loading screen indefinitely. The logo on the right is turning, audio looping but nothing is happening. Alt-tab alsl causes the app the crash.

Had the same issue yesterday on the same CPU/GPU, earlier the same day I got a server error message.

I think it isn't your computer or any install issues but rather that the game tries to handshake with a server that isn't working well right now. Also, alt-tab at any point before you see the main menu seems to cause a crash, I think that's "normal" and unrelated.

Kyaw

Anyone finding it almost impossible to drive the Ferrari 458 with a controller and everything all manual? The steering is just waaaaaaay too twitchy. (Not just the 458, most high end ones. Is ok with TCS and STM though.)

Getting stuttering issues on Brands Hatch normal weather. They are weirdly inconsistent. Everything's on medium, not even dynamic at 2K. (4690k@4.4, 680GTX, 8GB DDR3)

I had the same issue. The paging file size (virtual memory) was too low (200MB). It should be 2GB at least.

T.O.P

Banned
Finally had a chance to download this but i'm having weird performance on my rig

The first run on the Rio track was smooth 60fps but as soon as i got into the carrier the game wouldn't hold the 60fps at all, hell it looked like it almost went <30fps at times

I have no problems with KI and here's my rig, drivers updated and all

i4690k
msi970 oc
16gb ram

It does't really matter wheneaver i play with the settings or not as it doesn't really change much :|

Top Bottom