• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex open beta arrives May 5 on Windows 10, system reqs revealed

DonMigs85

The game seems to have a weird memory leak or some other issue.
Honestly it looks like it'll take time for devs to get to grips with DirectX 12 - games that use it tend to be buggy and unstable so far

Finally had a chance to download this but i'm having weird performance on my rig

The first run on the Rio track was smooth 60fps but as soon as i got into the carrier the game wouldn't hold the 60fps at all, hell it looked like it almost went <30fps at times

I have no problems with KI and here's my rig, drivers updated and all

i4690k
msi970 oc
16gb ram

It does't really matter wheneaver i play with the settings or not as it doesn't really change much :|
The only fix right now is to close and reload the game again, some tracks are worse then others before the frame drops kick in again.

I really want to play it more but the frame issues ruin it for me, it also makes the game ignore gear shifts.

puebla

So I just built my new rig but I can't max this out at 1900x1200 or 1900x1080. There seems to be something wrong.

My rig:
i5 6600k@4.5
evga 970
16gb ram ddr4

It reverts resolution to 1680x1050 when I set settings to ultra at the resolutions above and says I don't have enough system or video ram. What gives?

patchday

I suppose there is no ETA for racing wheel support? been staying away until its added. I have a lot of money on my wheels-- I'm not going back to a controller for racing

by the time they add proper wheel support I think GTA 6 beta will be here on ps4

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I suppose there is no ETA for racing wheel support? been staying away until its added. I have a lot of money on my wheels-- I'm not going back to a controller for racing

by the time they add proper wheel support I think GTA 6 beta will be here on ps4

Maybe July when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be made available, maybe before if you are a Windows Insider (if Turn 10 can make an update just for Insiders to support wheels). Some apps are updated before for Insiders, so why not games.

virtualS

A stock i7 3930K with stock r9 290 and overclocked 16GB DDR3 runs this game fully maxed out at a silky smooth 60fps at 1080p. Every slider at maximum. Don't know why I get such good performance with this game.... might have something to do with having 6 CPU cores.

I have another r9 290 just sitting there unused however.

Come on multi GPU, wheel support and multi monitor...

Great game otherwise.

Pjsprojects

A stock i7 3930K with stock r9 290 and overclocked 16GB DDR3 runs this game fully maxed out at a silky smooth 60fps at 1080p. Every slider at maximum. Don't know why I get such good performance with this game.... might have something to do with having 6 CPU cores.

I have another r9 290 just sitting there unused however.

Come on multi GPU, wheel support and multi monitor...

Great game otherwise.

Same,maxed at 1080p runs constant 60fps with 290x & FX8350 @4.2

dLMN8R

Maybe July when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be made available, maybe before if you are a Windows Insider (if Turn 10 can make an update just for Insiders to support wheels). Some apps are updated before for Insiders, so why not games.

Just FYI there was no release date ever announced for the anniversary update. It'll be roughly a year after Windows 10's release (hence "anniversary"), but Microsoft has never confirmed July or any other date for the specific release.

But yes if you opt-in to Insider builds you'll get it sooner if the wheel support is indeed tied to that update.

And yes the Store technically supports making updates available to just a specific OS, but it's up to Turn 10 to determine whether it's worthwhile for them to do that.

TheBear

This game is chugging at 30fps on 1080p on an i5 4xxx/780 on medium. Should I expect better performance?

Edit- nvm set it to high and its 60

Double edit- actually it's hitching quite a bit on high

Mascot

Why are so many people with powerful rigs struggling to get consistent performance from Apex? Every time I get close to building a gaming PC I see a thread like this and it fills me with nope.

T.O.P

Banned
Why are so many people with powerful rigs struggling to get consistent performance from Apex? Every time I get close to building a gaming PC I see a thread like this and it fills me with nope.

I've had only 3 games with fpss problem in like 10 years of pc gaming actually

-Batman AK
-Wolfenstein (ID6 for Doom on the contrary is a godsend)
-Forza 6

I'm expecting it to be fixed by the final release :)

And in time for Horizon 3 ofc

this "port" is also extremely RAM greedy. I mean RAM is super cheap, but you usually never need more than 8Gigs. 2-3Gigs of VRAM are also totally fine under normal circumstances to make a game run well (if not as pretty as it could be).

I have 6GB DDR3 and would feel stupid to put money into DDR3 RAM today, I also never needed it (games like Fallout 4 that listt 8GB RAM as minimum have zero problems on the highest settings on my PC), that's why I never upgraded.

Afro

Game still has some incredible micro stutter w/ an i7 3770 / 980 Ti / G-sync. Installed on a HDD, though. Doubt that's the issue. Haven't played since launch because of it.

Pepto

Banned

They are not using the dynamic options that the game provides.

They are not using the dynamic options that the game provides.

There's more to it then that right now, the game overall has framerate issues after playing for a race or two. If my i5 and gtx950 can run the game at a solid 60 with medium and high settings for a race or two and then suddely the game becomes a choppy mess with dropped inputs, it's nothing to do with my setup because it also does this with low settings.

Odorono

Banned
Default fov has been horrible since Forza 4, I assume it's set that way to add a sensation of speed. If PC gets a fov slider and Xbox doesn't I'll not be impressed.

Pretty much every PC racer has a FoV slider, and if they don't they get modded in. Bloody Microsoft and their locked down limitations take the piss.

Makikou

Default fov has been horrible since Forza 4, I assume it's set that way to add a sensation of speed. If PC gets a fov slider and Xbox doesn't I'll not be impressed.

Add a sensation of speed that doesn't exist :/.

Braking in Forza 6 from 250km/h to 80km/h and it feels the same speed all the time.

Odorono

Banned
It's weird because I watched videos of Horizon 2 and the FoV actually looked decent..Different studio I know but I wish they'd have kept that.

It's weird because I watched videos of Horizon 2 and the FoV actually looked decent..Different studio I know but I wish they'd have kept that.

Yeah Playground did a much better job in Horizon 2.

Way back when Forza 5 was shown off at E3 the cockpit fov looked great, lord knows why they pulled it back. There's no immersion at all.

https://youtu.be/liryxPwznM8

But we ended up with this:

https://youtu.be/cbBYy21YYhQ

:/

Odorono

Banned
Yeah Playground did a much better job in Horizon 2.

Way back when Forza 5 was shown off at E3 the cockpit fov looked great, lord knows why they pulled it back. There's no immersion at all.

https://youtu.be/liryxPwznM8

But we ended up with this:

https://youtu.be/cbBYy21YYhQ

:/
I'm not even kidding that looks almost exactly what I use for all my sims..Why on EARTH would they change that? You can't see the side mirrors in either versions so Ford GT's reason doesn't seem legit.

I'm not even kidding that looks almost exactly what I use for all my sims..Why on EARTH would they change that? You can't see the side mirrors in either versions so Ford GT's reason doesn't seem legit.

Higher FOV = tunnel vision = higher sense of speed

I think reviewers like a game more if 100mph seems faster than it should.
Could also be that they save processing power with more cockpit visible, but I really don't think that's the reason. Maybe "we modeled all these beautiful cockpits, with this low FOV, nobody will see them :(( " could have played its part in the decision.

LilJoka

I hate the FoV in this game, have they said about patching in adjustments?

Agreed, far to large fov in cockpit making it undruvable for me. Having to use external view as I can't place my car using cockpit cam unlike other racing sims I play.

Qassim

I can't get the unlocked framerate to work, it just sticks to 60fps :/

Edit: It appears that the game won't unlock the framerate if I have my secondary 60Hz monitor connected. If I disconnect the secondary 60Hz monitor the framerate unlocks. (1x 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor, 1x 1440p 60Hz monitor).

That's quite annoying, it, I hope it's not a UWP limitation.

LilJoka

I can't get the unlocked framerate to work, it just sticks to 60fps :/

Edit: It appears that the game won't unlock the framerate if I have my secondary 60Hz monitor connected. If I disconnect the secondary 60Hz monitor the framerate unlocks. (1x 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor, 1x 1440p 60Hz monitor).

That's quite annoying, it, I hope it's not a UWP limitation.

Sounds like a bug more like.

shandy706

Cheers.

Is there any scope to full remove the graphical hard limits, as far as you know?

By that I mean I can't force the game above 1080p on Ultra rwnder target due to 'VRAM constraints' yet the game only appears to be using 3GB w/ 8xMSAA @1080p.

Half of my 980Ti is going to waste.

I figured out a way around this. Either put it on High...or maybe custom (can't remember).

Then put it on the resolution you want, THEN go to each individual item and turn them to High/Ultra.

This will let you run like 4k while doing everything turned up, haha

I think I might've just modded a UWP app somehow. I'm not sure what I did but I've broken the Audi S3's interior.

rs990zA.png

I'm also pretty sure the exterior of my car is the Forzavista LOD model but I don't know how to verify that.

EDIT: Yep, it's modded. Now's where my fun starts. I managed to edit the credits which is the easiest way to prove if what I change does actually affect the game:

Sorry for the double post but I thought I'd just update with some slightly more interesting stuff.

1. Made the rain on the windshield a LOT heavier/denser. Kind of unrealistic but it's so pretty to look at since they're all dynamic.

2. Can anyone with an unmodded or Xbox copy verify this for me? The interior view is fully visible and functional from outside in photomode. I don't remember this ever being the case. The dials and speedometer are all correct, I'm certain that photomode normally has a lower detail interior model.

Also the topic is rather dead, so... AMA I guess? I tried to explain to a Steam friend what I did but his computer was having none of it, so I assume I'm one of the very few who can edit this game. Ask away if anything is even remotely interesting about this.

Noobcraft

2. Can anyone with an unmodded or Xbox copy verify this for me? The interior view is fully visible and functional from outside in photomode. I don't remember this ever being the case. The dials and speedometer are all correct, I'm certain that photomode normally has a lower detail interior model.
I think that has always been the case.
screenshot-original-1yes03.png

Jedi2016

Two questions:

How do you check framerates? None of the stuff I have, including Fraps, will work at all. It's smooth, sure (G-sync appears to be working), but I'm pretty sure it's not hitting 60. I have no way of knowing how well the game is actually running.

Where the fuck are my screenshots? What's the point of Photo Mode if you won't let us actually look at the damn pictures? I've Googled it, and it seems like they're stored server-side, and you have to trick the game into showing them to you so you can screenshot it with something else? What the actual fuck kind of design is this?

Two questions:

How do you check framerates? None of the stuff I have, including Fraps, will work at all. It's smooth, sure (G-sync appears to be working), but I'm pretty sure it's not hitting 60. I have no way of knowing how well the game is actually running.

Where the fuck are my screenshots? What's the point of Photo Mode if you won't let us actually look at the damn pictures? I've Googled it, and it seems like they're stored server-side, and you have to trick the game into showing them to you so you can screenshot it with something else? What the actual fuck kind of design is this?

1. DXTory should work for FPS overlays. There's also some experiemental UWP-only framerate tool but I can't remember what it's called.

2. Photos should be retrieveable now from the Forzamotorsport site AFAIK, but it's still better to just hide the UI and press Win+PrintScr, then they'll go to *your username*\My Pictures\Screenshots.

Jedi2016

Yeah, DXtory works. At least lets me know what ballpark I'm in.

So... this'll run on a toaster, then, yeah? Near as I can tell, I've got it set to maximum across the board, with all the dynamic stuff turned off, at 1440p, and still getting between 55-70fps most of the time.. on a GTX-680. Down into the 30s and 40s at Brands Hatch in the rain. I'd still call that pretty damned good for a card that old.

So... this'll run on a toaster, then, yeah? Near as I can tell, I've got it set to maximum across the board, with all the dynamic stuff turned off, at 1440p, and still getting between 55-70fps most of the time.. on a GTX-680. Down into the 30s and 40s at Brands Hatch in the rain. I'd still call that pretty damned good for a card that old.

Pretty much. As long as your toaster actually supports DX12 it'll run amazingly.

Castaway

Two questions:

Your screenshots are viewable in your gallery on the Forzahub app. If the app doesn't load up first time, just quit and restart, it will load right up after a few seconds. You can download or share photos in the galleries.

1. Made the rain on the windshield a LOT heavier/denser. Kind of unrealistic but it's so pretty to look at since they're all dynamic.

PM me :p

I think the best case of checking interior LoD would be to do a race and pan the camera back into the car.

Sky87

New patch out.

Version 1.3.11.0 Release Notes

• Enable in-race FPS counter through Video Options
• Difficulty balancing for Drivatar AI
• Optimized objectives in some Tour events
• Tuned time bonuses for some Tour events
• Resolved issue where changing certain Video Options did not have any effect
• Resolved some cases of stalls and hitches during race
• Additional bug fixes and improvements

New patch out.

Version 1.3.11.0 Release Notes

• Enable in-race FPS counter through Video Options
• Difficulty balancing for Drivatar AI
• Optimized objectives in some Tour events
• Tuned time bonuses for some Tour events
• Resolved issue where changing certain Video Options did not have any effect
• Resolved some cases of stalls and hitches during race
• Additional bug fixes and improvements

Still no wheel? Bullshit.

I think I might've just modded a UWP app somehow. I'm not sure what I did but I've broken the Audi S3's interior.

I'm also pretty sure the exterior of my car is the Forzavista LOD model but I don't know how to verify that.

EDIT: Yep, it's modded. Now's where my fun starts. I managed to edit the credits which is the easiest way to prove if what I change does actually affect the game:

Wait, so you modded a UWP app? You should create a new thread! There has been so much bellyaching about the unmoddability of UWP games.

Top Bottom