• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex open beta arrives May 5 on Windows 10, system reqs revealed

Fordfx2

Pretty sure wheel support isn't in the beta. At least from the way they worded it, it will come after the game release.

Racing wheels are not supported
Race wheels are not currently supported in Forza Motorsport 6: Apex. Adding wheel support will be a focus of the development team during the beta period.

The only time I have stuttering is if I minimize the window. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's unplayabe and I have to restart.

terrible

Banned
The only time I have stuttering is if I minimize the window. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's unplayabe and I have to restart.

This might actually be it here. I tried it again and this time it ran fine, then I alt-tabbed and went back and did a race and it was a stuttering unplayable mess again. I closed the game and booted it up and the stuttering was gone. Interesting.

This might actually be it here. I tried it again and this time it ran fine, then I alt-tabbed and went back and did a race and it was a stuttering unplayable mess again. I closed the game and booted it up and the stuttering was gone. Interesting.

Have you tried something like Alt+Enter oe clicking the window when you bring it back up? It sounds like the system is giving the game less resources when you tab away from it (which is normal) but not giving them back when it's focused on.

Can't be arsed skimming the whole thread:

Anyone else getting framerate drops during specific parts where it seems to be loading in more of the track?

I was playing the second race, Brands Hatch in the rain. And at certain points in the race, the framerate would noticably drop from 59-60 FPS to 56-57, and I'm assuming the framepacing got roughed up since I noticed it very clearly. One such spot was the left-hand corner after the downhill where you get to the large field.

I thought maybe it was because of the dynamic graphic options, and changed everything to be locked in. Still occurred.

So I locked the framerate to 30 FPS, just to test, and it still dropped two or three frames in the same spots.

I've got an i7 6600, RX 480, 8GB RAM and SSD.

Note that turning off power efficiency on the GPU made the drops 1 fps better (from mostly 57 to 58), but they still occurred.

It seems like the game maxes out my memory, because when I opened task manager it said I had less than 500MB available (while in the menus), but the application only claims to spend approx 2,5 GB.

LostDonkey

Was just trying the new spotlight events on this and my pc reset itself mid race and has now decided to go into an infinite bsod loop.

Great.

Apex is such a weird product. I mean, what was the point in releasing it? To see if PC gamers would like Forza? Of course they bloody would. Doesn't take a genius to work that out.

No wheel support, a handful of content and seemingly no plans to release any DLC (which I'm fairly sure people would be willing to pay for). Weird.

Apex is such a weird product. I mean, what was the point in releasing it? To see if PC gamers would like Forza? Of course they bloody would. Doesn't take a genius to work that out.

No wheel support, a handful of content and seemingly no plans to release any DLC (which I'm fairly sure people would be willing to pay for). Weird.

It's a beta to work out the kinks before the Forza Horizon and Motorsports.

I think it was more of testing platform for two studios that don't usually release their products on PC. Wouldn't be surprise if it really helped PG with FH3.

Adry9

I used to be able to max out the game @ 1080p/60fps on my OC'd 7950. Stopped playing for a month and after updating Windows yesterday went back to it to find out that now the frame rate is jumping from 50-60fps. Anyone else experienced performance loss?

Anyone else getting framerate drops during specific parts where it seems to be loading in more of the track?

Yes, and I'm also running an SSD.

It's a beta to work out the kinks before the Forza Horizon and Motorsports.
And also UWP in general. I know Turn 10 specifically mentioned this in an interview, that they decided to put the platform through its paces with a real game like Apex to find what needed to be improved, but I can't find a link right now.

That's also why I'm a little disheartened that things like the obvious frame drops haven't been fixed yet. Horizon 3 is my most anticipated game of the year, I cannot wait for its release, but the fact that Apex is still a bit of a mess is making me leary. I suppose it's possible that all their attention is going towards the Horizon 3 port, that would make some degree of sense, but I see Apex as a pseudo-demo for what I can expect and it's making me nervous about shelling out $100 in less than two months...

Buburibon

Yes, absolutely. Only noticed it last night after installing the anniversary update. Forza 6 Apex used to run flawlessly on my system, but it no longer does.

5820K @ 4.5Ghz
Titan XM (will try again once Titan XP arrives in a few days)
32GB
SSD

Win 10 Pro x64

desu

That's also why I'm a little disheartened that things like the obvious frame drops haven't been fixed yet. Horizon 3 is my most anticipated game of the year, I cannot wait for its release, but the fact that Apex is still a bit of a mess is making me leary. I suppose it's possible that all their attention is going towards the Horizon 3 port, that would make some degree of sense, but I see Apex as a pseudo-demo for what I can expect and it's making me nervous about shelling out $100 in less than two months...

This is me! Super hyped for FH3 but Apex didnt shed the best light on the franchise on PC for me. Could also play it on Xbox One but why would I if can play it on PC at 60 fps on a 21:9 screen ...

I don't know. Sounds like faux concern to me. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but T10 and PG are rockstars and will bring it on PC.

And I'd rather play Horizon at 30 FPS and on TV than not at all...

Weevilone

So I was excited that the windows update fixed my ability to use the Microsoft store. Got Forza 6 demo installed, but when I launch, a black Forza window appears momentarily and then it's gone.

Anyone get around this?

So I was excited that the windows update fixed my ability to use the Microsoft store. Got Forza 6 demo installed, but when I launch, a black Forza window appears momentarily and then it's gone.

Anyone get around this?

Question: Do you have a 144hz monitor such as the Asus PG279Q? And are you OC'ing it to 165hz?

If so, that might be your problem. Whenever I tried to run the game, it would just close out soon after the box would pop up. I read somewhere that it was due to the fact that the game didn't work with 165hz. So I changed it back to 144hz, and sure enough, it started no problem.

Hope that helps you. If not, I'm not really sure what else it could be.

Weevilone

Question: Do you have a 144hz monitor such as the Asus PG279Q? And are you OC'ing it to 165hz?

If so, that might be your problem. Whenever I tried to run the game, it would just close out soon after the box would pop up. I read somewhere that it was due to the fact that the game didn't work with 165hz. So I changed it back to 144hz, and sure enough, it started no problem.

Hope that helps you. If not, I'm not really sure what else it could be.

I have a 3440x1440 display, but it's just 60Hz.

kami_sama

I've been getting the AP601 error. It seems I need to install the Media Pack, but I remember doing it on the 1511 version and there's no pack for the anniversary update.

Any way to fix that?

terrible

Banned

Anyone get around this?

I'm getting that exact behavior with a ton of apps from the store since the update but Forza still works.

Yes, absolutely. Only noticed it last night after installing the anniversary update. Forza 6 Apex used to run flawlessly on my system, but it no longer does.

5820K @ 4.5Ghz
Titan XM (will try again once Titan XP arrives in a few days)
32GB
SSD

Win 10 Pro x64

Same here. Played some last night and experienced some pretty noticeable microstutter. Alt-tabbed to Afterburner only for it to tell me GPU usage was hovering around 50%. 1440p, 60fps target, everything maxed, runs at 60 except for a stutter every few seconds.

Anyone know what's up? Tried setting the power management to "prefer maximum performance" in NVCP and maxed the power limit in Afterburner, but no dice. Game installed on an SSD.

i5 6600k @ stock
16Gb DDR4-3000
GTX 1080

E: after testing at 4K DSR with an unlocked framerate, I'm hovering between 90 and 150 fps with high GPU usage, so it's clearly not a graphics issue. Tried Brands Hatch and Rio and got microstutter in both, and last night it was even more pronounced playing Spa in the rain.

I'm also guessing it's a streaming issue. I think I saw a workaround somewhere involving the pagefile, but I can't recall where.

E2: setting the resolution to 4K and everything else to Dynamic seems to have alleviated the issue somewhat. There is still some stutter but it's much less frequent, and seems to coincide with details being loaded in (there's usually pop-in at the same time). Now I'll have to test all the graphics options individually to see which one is causing the stutter.

If FH3 runs on the same engine and they manage to fix this issue, then running it at 4K should be quite easy.

E3: After reading the forums the issue appears to be CPU-related. There's a bottleneck there, and supposedly turning the priority down to low in task manager partially solves the problem. After testing this it's a bit hit-or-miss, but I was playing in 4K with everything maxed so I should check out lower settings to see if that makes a difference.

E3: After reading the forums the issue appears to be CPU-related. There's a bottleneck there, and supposedly turning the priority down to low in task manager partially solves the problem. After testing this it's a bit hit-or-miss, but I was playing in 4K with everything maxed so I should check out lower settings to see if that makes a difference.

Whaaaat? *dumbfounded*

Kacho

So it's not just me experiencing the framerate issue. The way it runs now reminds me of the latest Grid game.

Yeah, I know. It actually runs better that way based on my testing. Still not perfect though.

E: actually just retried without doing that and it basically changes nothing. Sometimes smooth, sometimes stuttery, rarely twice in the same place, and whatever the settings.
ok, but thanks for reporting about your testing. I feel like everyone has that microstutter at the moment. Would love to see Digital Foundry pick that problem apart. Hmmm...maybe if it's still there in FH3 on some setups.

desu

Wanted to play today, games hangs in the start screen as there seem to be problems connecting to the games servers.

This weeks challenge was bugged again (the very same challenge that was bugged a month ago already). Quality control, yay!

I revisited this game lately due to the slight hype of halo 5 forge coming to pc and I can feel that they improved the stuttering a bit since the last time I played, there must have been an update between then and now because all my settings were set to dynamic again.

I also forgot how nice forza 6 can look, and i'm happy that they added a framerate counter just so I know that i'm keeping the game at 60fps with my settings.

vanty

I just got a 1060 today yet I'm getting "directx feature level 11 required" on the store which won't even let me download the game for "this title needs hardware your device doesn't have" yet I'm pretty goddam sure I do. Latest drivers and everything, Running dxdiag shows dirextx12 no problems.

MaxiLive

I just got a 1060 today yet I'm getting "directx feature level 11 required" on the store which won't even let me download the game for "this title needs hardware your device doesn't have" yet I'm pretty goddam sure I do. Latest drivers and everything, Running dxdiag shows dirextx12 no problems.

I had a similar issue and it was due to Windows 10 being out of date. I was in the preview program and Windows update borked so it wasn't installing the latest preview builds.

Caayn

Is there a way to force Apex to run on a secondary monitor? I'm using Win 10 and have a 1070.
Before the game fully starts, I drag the window to the monitor that I want to play on. Works perfectly for me. (Works for other W10 store games as well, wish that it was possible with win32 games as well.)

vanty

I had a similar issue and it was due to Windows 10 being out of date. I was in the preview program and Windows update borked so it wasn't installing the latest preview builds.

I just rebooted and now it's fine. Nothing had installed/changed since my last restart so no idea what the problem was.

vanty

So I've tried this out and for some reason I only have five options in the video settings not the whole screen full of options. And the game only runs at 30fps on a brand new 6GB 1060 (that runs the BF1 beta on ultra at 100fps+) when I've read about it comfortably doing 60fps on a 970.

The fuck?

So I've tried this out and for some reason I only have five options in the video settings not the whole screen full of options. And the game only runs at 30fps on a brand new 6GB 1060 (that runs the BF1 beta on ultra at 100fps+) when I've read about it comfortably doing 60fps on a 970.

The fuck?

In the video options menu switch the Dynamic Optimization to Off and you'll see all graphic settings.

HellaNutella

Neo Member
Yeah, I know. It actually runs better that way based on my testing. Still not perfect though.

E: actually just retried without doing that and it basically changes nothing. Sometimes smooth, sometimes stuttery, rarely twice in the same place, and whatever the settings.

I had a similar issue as you in BF4. I'm running an i5 6600k at 4.4ghz and 1080 and swore I was hitting a cpu bottleneck because I was having low GPU usage. It turned out it was because of the frame rate target/limit I set in the EVGA OC program. Removing that gave me full GPU usage and way higher frame rates. Now I only try to limit frame rates in the game, or leave it unlimited with Fast sync enabled in the control panel. I experience better performance all around with it removed.

Changing your power setting to maximum performance might help as well.

terrible

Banned
Wheel support is in now? Oh I'm trying this out if so. It'll be interesting to see how different it feels compared to Forza 6. Sweet.

frontieruk

Supported wheels so you don't have to go looking

Code:
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G29 Racing Wheel
Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster T300RS
Thrustmaster T500 RS Gaming Wheel
Logitech G920 Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster T150
Thrustmaster TX Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster TMX Xbox One Wheel
Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Racing Wheel

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/09/06/forza-motorsport-6-apex-comes-beta-wheel-support/#DDLgZmdQiQg5dXJl.99

Top Bottom