• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 PC demo confirmed. Minimum and recommend specs detailed

Mohasus

Not a fan of angled (?, sorry I don't know the word) HUD.

What controller works best for Forza? I just installed Horizon 3 and I am having a blast. Using the keyboard now.

360 controller.

But that's because playing without ABS is easier with it, at least for me.

something caught my attention... seems that the minimum specs are for 720p 30fps minimum settings instead of 60 FPS.

So 7 jaguar cores at 1.6 ghz - 7790 with shared 8GB DDR3 RAM buffer and magical to the metal pixie dust = Dynamic 1080p medium settings 60 FPS.

FX 6300 Piledriver turbo clocked at 4.1 ghz = 30 FPS? Is it running prime 95 in the background? I know... console optimization and all that but the difference it's massive most of all taking into account that this CPU can hold 30 FPS minimum in Forza Horizon 3 which is more demanding.

FH3 PC all over again?

JoeLT

Something interesting mentioned on the stream by a dev was that they actually play Forza 7 on a Surface Pro 4 well enough at the office. That's impressive, they seem to be going for as low of a min spec as possible.

shandy706

Errr why are the PC specs so high for 4K/60 when its 4K/60 on the XB1 X!? The XB1X only has a jaguar cpu and and an equivalent RX 480 GPU yet on the PC you need and i7 and 1080!!!?

The fact that people still don't understand that it's easier to build (and optimize) a game for set in stone hardware than it is for a wide range of PCs is what blows my mind.

It's not a hard concept/reality to wrap one's head around.

This one better run well. Forza Horizon 3 runs like crap still.

No it doesn't.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
This is how you post min and recommended specs

Loved Horizon 3, ran great on my PC so I'm excited for this

amdb00mer

I7 and GTX 1080 for 4K/60 fps on PC ? Lol

If this is true , the Xbox One X version will be a low 4K/60 fps version...

I don't think so. GO back and watch some of the 4k videos of the Xbox One X version. Does not look like low settings to me. There are even a couple of videos out there that are 4k/60FPS with HDR that look stunning. The PC will still be able to offer more than the Xbox One X, but it will not be a slouch on detail. Regular Xbox One or One S, well that is a different story.

amdb00mer

They better have multiple input device support for those with eg. Thrustmaster wheel and Fanatec pedals.

They do. Watch the Gamescom interview. They said they went all out and made sure gamers could mix and match if needed. They even had it working with a Guitar Hero controller. :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's VR support, isn't it? This is 2017 after all.
VR support confirmed?
Can I start a new thread?
I'll take any silence as confirmation.

Please be true Please be true

Please be true Please be true .................

Please be true Please be true .................

This

This

This

Krayz

If this gets VR support. Definitely getting this. If the 1080 can run it at 4k60 surely it could do 2160x1200 90fps?pretty please.

Adam M

Demo is great, would like to try it first. Content will be awesome with Forza although I'm not sure which edition will have 700 cars, maybe just the best edition

Not sure where the concern lies. Forza looks and runs so well on Xbox because it's incredibly well optimized. Apex shared that amazing performance on PC, as far as I could tell. Forza just plain punches above its weight, period. Doesn't matter what hardware you're running it on, you're probably getting a game that runs at a higher framerate and looks better all the while than you would have expected on your rig.

12Dannu123

I know it was never going to happen but I was praying for VR support on PC.

I just can't go back to racing on a monitor now. Project cars 2 has my money so far.

VR on UWP wont support SteamVR or Oculus. Only on Windows MR. Unless you have permission from Microsoft, like Oculus has with Windows 10 edition minecraft

Yeah I'll bank on that HDR working when I see it with my own eyes.

As someone who bought a C7 this year, HDR has been a complete shit show on PC, front to back.

Windows updates break compatibility, driver updates break compatibility, game updates break compatibility.

It's just bad across the board.

E: And it's a travesty that FH3 doesn't have HDR support on PC either. Esp when it does on One S

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah. Probably won't work if you have an nvidia card. Well, it doesn't work for me with my 1080ti (borked via the Creator's Update). Maybe it'll work an a W10 game.

Fwiw, I'm pre-creators update and HDR is working on my PC and LG C6. My understanding with Creators update is that you just need to enable it in the settings before launching an HDR game right?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hooray for Dualshock 4 support and I'm very happy about demo. I think instead of buying a PS4 just for GT Sport I'll just pick this up on PC instead.

Paragon

On Gamescom a Forza dev confirmed that almost anything can work with Forza. He said that tried a usb guitar and worked ;)
I expect that guitar is a standard XInput device which would work with the majority of games.

Well any usb interface based controller would work... so give it a try, who nows? :p
Have they said that?

One of the problems with UWP is that it does not support DirectInput.
So the previous games only support a handful of white-listed devices with specific support built in. If you have anything else, you're out of luck.
Want to use an external shifter or button box? Too bad, UWP (or the games?) doesn't support mixed input devices.
Want to use a high-end wheel setup where every component (wheel, pedals, buttons, shifter) is classed as a separate input device? Nope, not going to happen. You get to pick one.

No support for Steam Controllers on that list either, not that I would expect it at all.
I don't believe that's entirely on Microsoft though.
Other software like MSI Afterburner have managed to get overlays working in UWP apps now, so that's probably on Valve.

GHG

Quick question not necessarily related to the game but more towards windows 10.

If I decide to upgrade my Win 7 PC to Win 10 by purchasing a key to try out this demo but decide I don't like how the OS performs on my gaming PC how easy would it be to roll back to Win 7?

JoeLT

I expect that guitar is a standard XInput device which would work with the majority of games.

Have they said that?

So the previous games only support a handful of white-listed devices with specific support built in. If you have anything else, you're out of luck.
Want to use an external shifter or button box? Too bad, UWP (or the games?) doesn't support mixed input devices.
Want to use a high-end wheel setup where every component (wheel, pedals, buttons, shifter) is classed as a separate input device? Nope, not going to happen. You get to pick one.

No support for Steam Controllers on that list either, not that I would expect it at all.
Other software like MSI Afterburner have managed to get overlays working in UWP apps now, so that's probably on Valve.
Wait there's no support for DirectInput? How is the PlayStation 4 controller going to work though, I thought you could use direct input through Windows Gaming Input?

EctoPrime

Quick question not necessarily related to the game but more towards windows 10.

If I decide to upgrade my Win 7 PC to Win 10 by purchasing a key to try out this demo but decide I don't like how the OS performs on my gaming PC how easy would it be to roll back to Win 7?

You would not lose your Windows 7 key doing that. Search for dual boot win 7+10 in google. If you dont care for that you could disconnect the current Windows 7 drive and install Windows 10 to a second drive.

Kiyoshi

Fwiw, I'm pre-creators update and HDR is working on my PC and LG C6. My understanding with Creators update is that you just need to enable it in the settings before launching an HDR game right?

You'd think, but in ME:A the windows implementation of HDR killed the ability for full screen in-game implementation. And it didn't even work windowed. As far as I know you still have to play with a pre-creators nvidia driver for HDR to work. Not sure about other games; but I don't think there are many others (Resident Evil 7?).

GHG

You would not lose your Windows 7 key doing that. Search for dual boot win 7+10 in google. If you dont care for that you could disconnect the current Windows 7 drive and install Windows 10 to a second drive.

Cool, thanks. Dual boot seems to be the way to go for now I think.

I'll just get a new hard drive for that purpose and if it's shit then I just end up with the bonus of having more storage space.

Have they said that?

UWP got a DirectInput equivalent called RawGameController. It was added in the Creators Update, and is being further updated in the Fall Creators Update. That's how Forza is going to support the various USB devices. You just get an array of buttons, axis, switches, haptic motors, etc, and voila. Just like DirectInput.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/raw-game-controller

JoeLT

UWP got a DirectInput equivalent called RawGameController. It was added in the Creators Update, and is being further updated in the Fall Creators Update. That's how Forza is going to support the various USB devices. You just get an array of buttons, axis, switches, haptic motors, etc, and voila. Just like DirectInput.

This is good to see, glad they're putting so much effort into making UWP a viable replacement for Win32.

Paragon

Ah, good to know.
Hopefully this time around, Forza 7 supports mixing input devices, but anything released pre-Win10CU seems to have been abandoned.
Forza 6 Apex still lacks 21:9 or G-Sync support (and now launches in 16K so the menus take forever to access and I can't change the resolution) and I'm pretty sure it still doesn't work with my wheel - though I haven't hooked that up recently.
Forza Horizon 3 supports the wheel but I can't use my shifter with it or remap every button on it.

Still can't use my Steam Controller with any UWP game; e.g. Gears 4.
Have any games received an HDR update now that it's supported in Win10CU? (Horizon 3, Gears 4 etc.)
The state of UWP may be gradually improving, but progress is slow, and only for new games.

I did notice that the FH3 Demo has been updated now, and it runs much better than it used to on my R7-1700X - though still not flawlessly.

LostDonkey

Anybody bought the ultimate edition from the Windows store?

I'm having problems with the pre load. Everything has gone fine up until the VIP portion of the game which repeatedly fails due to a "Can't install on SD card" error. The thing is I don't have an SD card in my PC. I have my OS on an SSD and games on separate Hdds.

Is it just a case of waiting or do I have to start the process over?

Top Bottom