• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 8 details leak - 120 FPS, rally racing, cinematic storyline and more

EDMIX

Although you're probably right in what you have said in this thread, lets not forget the likes of Dragon Age Inquisition, and Shadow of Mordor. Its probably true but its not certain that XSX version of games will just be XB1 version at higher rez and framerate.

I don't disagree that such a outcome is possible as for all I know I'm wrong and MS really does have many teams working to have all the versions get different attention.

I just strongly feel that they are seeking to really max out resolution and frames and its easiest to do that with less demanding games if they are just last gen titles from XONE.

Xplainin Xplainin "They arnt making it for the xbox one and porting it up, thats just stupid" You thinking its stupid doesn't mean its not happening.... its not the first time a company has ported a last gen game to new systems. It happens all the time. I see no real evidence to support that this isn't the likely situation as I don't think MS is going to have their PR run around saying they are making PORTS, but I feel thats basically whats happening. Port to new system and add a few features etc.

"Turn 10 have these things called "Xbox Series X Developer Kits"" Sure, they need them to port those XONE games over to Series X..... juuuuuuust like Ubisoft had dev kits of XONe and PS4 to port many of their last gen games to new systems.......didn't make them ground up next gen games, they were simply ports.

"Devs like Turn 10 dont just develop a game for Xbox One and "port it up" to the Series X. Thats not how they work." Well....sir you don't know that... soooooo I don't think they have 2 teams making 2 games. I think they are just 1 team making 1 game and simply porting it over as that is the most logical outcome. Shit, I could be wrong, but I don't see much evidence to really suggest they are just making 2 games or something. No different then XONE to XONE X, its not like you had 2 teams and 2 different games, you simply had 1 team, 1 game and they'd have those upgraded features......

For all you know, thats EXACTLY how they are treating Series X....

Last edited:

Stuart360

I don't disagree that such a outcome is possible as for all I know I'm wrong and MS really does have many teams working to have all the versions get different attention.

I just strongly feel that they are seeking to really max out resolution and frames and its easiest to do that with less demanding games if they are just last gen titles from XONE.
Well even if it was true, i'm sure they will spruce it up with better textures, shadows, maybe ray tracing etc. And lets be honest here, Forza 7 looks pretty stunning already, on PC anyway.

UnNamed

Banned
It's basically a forza 7 expansion.

4k 120fps will be doable without issue's, the game really isn't much taxing.

This video shows CPU usage is pretty low even at 120fps. So it's all about GPU. Considering Series X have a good CPU and a monster GPU, and considering Forza 8 could be not so taxing in terms of CPU, 120fps are reachable if you optimize in the GPU side only.

pawel86ck

Banned
500_F_144117697_VT3Vv8hUlfkK3wfKnbWMZF1cCDbQAzRW.jpg
To be honest I think sometimes good 2D trees can look better than low quality 3D models. The same with spectators outside of tracks.

Kenpachii

This video shows CPU usage is pretty low even at 120fps. So it's all about GPU. Considering Series X have a good CPU and a monster GPU, and considering Forza 8 could be not so taxing in terms of CPU, 120fps are reachable if you optimize in the GPU side only.

They will up textures a bit, polish some stuff and lower some other stuff and call it a day. The 2080ti in this benchmark isn't a stock 2080ti, this thing is overclocked through the roof so xbox will probably have to lower some stuff or slam in dynamic resolution or drop some fps at times.. Still its good possible as forza 7 already demonstrates.

MCplayer

You guys are really underestimating the rdna 2 gpu and zen 2 cpu performance by comparing it to the usage of a cgn (is that what its called) gpu and jaguar cpu...

Kenpachii

Also raytracing on consoles won't be the same as on PC, they will probably raytrace at far lower resolutions and far more limited like those fake raytrace shaders PC has which practically doesn't cost to much.

Pretty sure PS5 already demonstrated that.

sinnergy

Lol that's a lot of fucking text.

Look, it boils down to one question: will they primarily target current gen or next gen in this cross gen period.

We don't know. You've admitted as much.

My point of view is that it's easier to develop primarily for next gen and then port down than vice versa. I think it would make more sense for them to have base One games running at 720p 30 fps with low settings than Series X games at 4k 120 fps with high settings, because 120 fps is such a pointless target.

Plus, there's the commercial imperative. Microsoft isn't entirely free of the need to make Series X games look something remotely like next gen. They've made this fancy console, it stands to reason they want to sell it to us. That's a lot more difficult if the games look a generation behind PS5 games.

I'm not saying they definitely won't do as you say they will. It's possible.

I'm just saying they're fucking stupid if they do.
I bet you can cap at 60 in settings with ultra textures and better ray tracing , I would implement this as dev .

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned

Xplainin Xplainin "They arnt making it for the xbox one and porting it up, thats just stupid" You thinking its stupid doesn't mean its not happening.... its not the first time a company has ported a last gen game to new systems. It happens all the time. I see no real evidence to support that this isn't the likely situation as I don't think MS is going to have their PR run around saying they are making PORTS, but I feel thats basically whats happening. Port to new system and add a few features etc.

"Turn 10 have these things called "Xbox Series X Developer Kits"" Sure, they need them to port those XONE games over to Series X..... juuuuuuust like Ubisoft had dev kits of XONe and PS4 to port many of their last gen games to new systems.......didn't make them ground up next gen games, they were simply ports.

"Devs like Turn 10 dont just develop a game for Xbox One and "port it up" to the Series X. Thats not how they work." Well....sir you don't know that... soooooo I don't think they have 2 teams making 2 games. I think they are just 1 team making 1 game and simply porting it over as that is the most logical outcome. Shit, I could be wrong, but I don't see much evidence to really suggest they are just making 2 games or something. No different then XONE to XONE X, its not like you had 2 teams and 2 different games, you simply had 1 team, 1 game and they'd have those upgraded features......

For all you know, thats EXACTLY how they are treating Series X....
In a couple of weeks we will see Forza 8 in the flesh. All will be revealed, and we have GT7 to compare it to, a game not being also developed for current gen.

sinnergy

Also raytracing on consoles won't be the same as on PC, they will probably raytrace at far lower resolutions and far more limited like those fake raytrace shaders PC has which practically doesn't cost to much.

Pretty sure PS5 already demonstrated that.
They can fully path trace if they want, 1080p , like Minecraft at 30 frames , who knows how it all will evolve . And how much can me optimized to let it run at 60 frames . Or use ray tracing on hardware or something non ray tracing like lumen from EPIC.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Cinematic Story ? I think they should save that for Horizon... I really L I K 3 D the story driven Single player of first FH....

Rikkori

"4k 120 fps with ray tracing"

Err, yeah that's not happening.
Whenever you read ray tracing always keep in mind how far you can go in neutering the effect. Quarter resolution, many objects excluded, etc.

Ray tracing as on PC? Ofc not. Ray tracing as in something near-enough to it and that still runs on a console and they can keep it on the marketing stickers? Sure.

For example: RT Medium in SotTR only incurs a 15% penalty vs off, and that's at 4K. At 1080p it's 8-9%. That's nothing.

Last edited:
Yet...that is exactly what they are doing at theses reveals....showing games that look like XONE games cause they are using that system as a base for the next few years.

How are you getting that from this?

"As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,"

This was said in mid-November 2019. “Over the next year” would be November 2020. “...two years...” would be November 2021. At worst, that’s the next 16 months from now, basically the launch year of Series X. Hardly “the next few years.”

And “using [XBox One] as base” seems like a reach. Yeah it will probably impose some limitations, but you just don’t know their approach and how it will shake out. Maybe the XBox One versions will be like the Witcher 3 ports in Switch. You don’t know and you’re just speculating.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Remember that Forza 5 hit 1080p on the Xbox One at launch, when the Kinect was using up like 15% of the system's resources at all times. Their games tend to hit these benchmarks that nobody else does, even comparable titles.

Now, I do not think they will hit 4K/120fps with ray tracing just because RT is a very demanding feature.

EDMIX

How are you getting that from this?

This was said in mid-November 2019. “Over the next year” would be November 2020. “...two years...” would be November 2021. At worst, that’s the next 16 months from now, basically the launch year of Series X. Hardly “the next few years.”

And “using [XBox One] as base” seems like a reach. Yeah it will probably impose some limitations, but you just don’t know their approach and how it will shake out. Maybe the XBox One versions will be like the Witcher 3 ports in Switch. You don’t know and you’re just speculating.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/...xclusive-games-launch-backwards-compatibility

Using XONE as a base is logical and I doubt MS is making 2 fucking games each time, I'd argue THAT is the "reach".

They are using XONE as a base and simply porting.

Its why I'm not shocked at this leak talking about 4K 120fps, that is doable thing with a XONE game ported to Series X no different then The Last Of Us 1 remastered being a PS3 port running Native 4K on PS4 Pro or something. Sooooooo of course it can do that...ITS A PORT FROM LAST GEN!

Also why would they mean 2 years as in EXACTLY starting when they made that statement in 2019 when the fucking system they are talking about doesn't even exist yet for it to even apply? So 99.9% they mean 2 years starting when that system releases.

I have no clue why they'd tell you the time frame of something like that when the system is not out.

Thats like someone saying they won't release a PS5 or XONE game in 2 years and 1 of the years is a year the system isn't even out yet! It doesn't even make sense. They'd have no reason to even say that with a unreleased system UNLESS they mean after release of the system.

Even then, if this Lockhart system is a real thing at 4TFLOPs, never mind trying to depute XONE gimping them for 1 or 2 years, that system will gimp them for the WHOLE GENERATION!

Last edited:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/...xclusive-games-launch-backwards-compatibility

Using XONE as a base is logical and I doubt MS is making 2 fucking games each time, I'd argue THAT is the "reach".

They are using XONE as a base and simply porting.

Its why I'm not shocked at this leak talking about 4K 120fps, that is doable thing with a XONE game ported to Series X no different then The Last Of Us 1 remastered being a PS3 port running Native 4K on PS4 Pro or something. Sooooooo of course it can do that...ITS A PORT FROM LAST GEN!

Yeah that Verge article is quoting MCV which got its quote during an interview at X019 (November 2019).

So 16 months - only for the first launch year will this be the case.

EDMIX

Yeah that Verge article is quoting MCV which got its quote during an interview at X019 (November 2019).

So 16 months - only for the first launch year will this be the case.

Just stop bud.

They have next to no reason to give a time frame, half of which the system isn't even out. It literally makes no sense. The time frame is from Series X's release as the start of those 2 years.

How would they even make a game release on XONE and Series X in 2 years when in that 2 years part of it doesn't even exist yet in terms of the general public? smh

It sounds like desperate wishful thinking. Even after XONE gimps Series X, Lockhart will continue that if they seriously release that dated system.

Last edited:
Just stop bud.

They have next to no reason to give a time frame, half of which the system isn't even out. It literally makes no sense. The time frame is from Series X's release as the start of those 2 years.

How would they even make a game release on XONE and Series X in 2 years when in that 2 years part of it doesn't even exist yet in terms of the general public? smh

...because XBox One games released this year will play on Series X when it comes out?

Why would he say “...over the next year, two years...” if he meant “From the launch of Series X”?

EDMIX

...because XBox One games released this year will play on Series X when it comes out?

Why would he say “...over the next year, two years...” if he meant “From the launch of Series X”?

Why would he be talking about the releases of Series X games for 2 years if the system clearly isn't out? Sooooo “...over the next year, two years...” doesn't actually make sense in regards to Series X titles if clearly it doesn't exist yet to fit that idea.

They very likely mean years following Series X release.

I don't know how you can talk about Series X releases in a time frame WHERE ITS NOT RELEASED! It makes no sense...

Last edited:
Why would he be talking about the releases of Series X games for 2 years if the system clearly isn't out? Sooooo “...over the next year, two years...” doesn't actually make sense in regards to Series X titles if clearly it doesn't exist yet to fit that idea.

They very likely mean years following Series X release.

I don't know how you can talk about Series X releases in a time frame WHERE ITS NOT RELEASED! It makes no sense...

He doesn’t even mention Series X in the quote.

As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,”

Xplainin

Banned

I wouldn't bother arguing.
Microsoft dont develop their Series X and PC games on a 1.4tflop Xbox One and then just port it across to the other platforms.
That's just not how it works.

Xplainin

Banned
Maybe like GT7 with lower res or checkerboarded ray tracing it is. You should check the DF video on GT7.
It will depend on how Ray Tracing scales up. If it is more dependent on CU count then the XSX could well provide a noticable improvement over the PS5. If RT is dependent on both CU and frequency then the difference wont be much.

EDMIX

I wouldn't bother arguing.
Microsoft dont develop their Series X and PC games on a 1.4tflop Xbox One and then just port it across to the other platforms.
That's just not how it works.

Except you don't really know that.

For all we know that is exactly what they are doing.

its all speculation.

xrnzaaas

I just want them to fix the car selection:

No more pick up trucks or weird shit
Please stop having that many American cars.
Add more Japanese and European cars
Focus on pre 2005 cars, modern car design sucks.
Honestly I'll be surprised if the car list won't be copy pasted from FM7 and FH4. At least if the rally rumor is true pick-ups and SUV's won't be completely worthless in the new game.

EDMIX

Yeah sounds bad even if the writing is good.

I never understand the point of having a story in such games. Need Of Speed has tried it tons of times, but imho GTA will forever be the best story in a game where you can race a car lol

Too much of many of theses racing stories in movies and shows are also about the lives of the drivers. Lets say you want to have a story about some street racing kid that saves up his money working part time to buy racing parts.... fuck they going to do? Have him a uber driver or taxi driver and only have the rest of the game in cut scenes? This is where I feel stuff like Watchdogs, GTA, etc are better fit to tell such a story.

O OptimistPrime lol i know right. I think it will do well, but I don't think anyone is really buying such a thing for the story. I think a long time ago many might have had a chance telling a story in a racing game, but GTA's racing is now so solid in terms of controls and handling, they can tell that Fast and Furious type story much, much better.

and semi OT.

I still don't know why we don't get a GTA that is MORE focused on that concept, the game is literally called GRAND THEFT AUTO! lol

Like a GTA where you play a street kid that steals cars and you have this whole meta game to steal certain cars and luxury cars need something to steal them and are too high end in the beginning of the game. Bringing the car to a chop shop gets you money and street cred etc.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
4k 120fps is possible if it's not much more advanced than Forza 7 graphically. With MS saying that all the games must run on XBONES, it means it will run 1080p 60fps on that and 4k 60fps on XBONEX. So 4k 120fps on Series X is definitely possible in that scenario....

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
"4chan". Well Motorsport 8 is not coming anytime soon. Also, it probably won't release on Xbox One. It would be 4K 60 fps RT with a 120 fps option.

Last edited:

Dnice1

Except you don't really know that.

For all we know that is exactly what they are doing.

its all speculation.
Because that would be silly.

4k 120fps is possible if it's not much more advanced than Forza 7 graphically. With MS saying that all the games must run on XBONES, it means it will run 1080p 60fps on that and 4k 60fps on XBONEX. So 4k 120fps on Series X is definitely possible in that scenario....
Sony did show us GT7 so well have something to compare it too. GT7 is 4k60 and possible 120fps mode why would you doubt Forza 8 on Series X with a more poweful cpu/gpu couldn't be 4k120 with similar graphic quality?

Xplainin

Banned
Honestly I'll be surprised if the car list won't be copy pasted from FM7 and FH4. At least if the rally rumor is true pick-ups and SUV's won't be completely worthless in the new game.
I think it will be Forza 7 type game, but with less cars. I'm happy for them to concentrate on the hyper cars. I'm not really interested in driving a 1960s Toyota.

pawel86ck

Banned
Dude, in your video this is a 2080 Ti... Xbox SX is a 2080... There is 15-20% more power on a 2080 Ti...
12TF RDNA2 should be more comparable to 2080S (11TF) and forza 7 isnt even using anything like VRS, checkerboard, AI upscaling. So yes, 120fps will be not a problem for XSX, but I'm not expecting to be blown away with graphics fidelity at 4K 120fps. I would rather want 1600p checkerboarded / AI upscaled to 4K 60fps and insane graphics fidelity.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think it will be Forza 7 type game, but with less cars. I'm happy for them to concentrate on the hyper cars. I'm not really interested in driving a 1960s Toyota.

I concur with this actually. I wouldn't mind a bit more focused car list.

Top Bottom