• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 8 details leak - 120 FPS, rally racing, cinematic storyline and more

Neo_game

If the game is going to be 1080P 60fps on current gen S you would think 4K 120fps should be possible on next gen X. If this is true the Microsoft is clearly chasing for the number like 4K and 120fps instead of actually improving gfx fidelity. Also RT is going to be basic, I think they are going in wrong direction if this is true.

Last edited:

truth411

I was thinking about that a lot recently. Only very few hardcore enthusiasts have those 4K120 HDMI2.1 displays.
It's just not a smart move, although I'd find it super cool.
Yup, it can have a 120fps mode, that would be cool. But in addition 4k native at 120fps is a waste of resources for a console.
Just do 4k/60 with better visuals and have a 120fps mode at 1440p/1080p imo.

scalman

horizon have story , forza does not , so not sure what would need to change there that forza motorsport become racing game with story and cinematics... test drive new game will be for that, dont believe forza will be open world and eliminate horizon then .

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

LokusAbriss

What Forza games need is a more realistic lighting/earth tone kind of palette similar to GT. Both games could have the exact same models, fps, textures, but there's something about GT colours that seems more realistic.

Forza games seem brighter and bloomier with colours popping out too much.
I absolutely agree and hope that they have created a new graphics engine. In addition, I hope that they really reinvented the suspension physics. They need to work on the force feedback a lot too. Also, the grip levels of racing cars need to be addressed. The racing slicks behave like super hard slicks. We need some different compounds there.

What many have forgotten, is turn 10's ray tracing "teaser" from 2010! It might show some aspects of FM8 to be shown soon. They probably had the ambition back then, but the Xbox One was never capable of this.

Forza_Motorsport_4_01.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_08.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_03.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_04.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_06.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_07.jpg

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
The way they keep making a big deal out of 120 fps reminds me of the PS4 Pro reveal going on about 4K, despite them ironically streaming it in 720p.

Plus, I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if Forza 8 can run at 4K, 120fps AND have ray tracing AND look significantly better than what we have now.

GreatnessRD

The way they keep making a big deal out of 120 fps reminds me of the PS4 Pro reveal going on about 4K, despite them ironically streaming it in 720p.

Plus, I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if Forza 8 can run at 4K, 120fps AND have ray tracing AND look significantly better than what we have now.
Not gonna happen. They just gassing their words. Gonna need a 7090Ti to get that to work. Especially when speaking on consoles.

ZywyPL

Banned
I absolutely agree and hope that they have created a new graphics engine. In addition, I hope that they really reinvented the suspension physics. They need to work on the force feedback a lot too. Also, the grip levels of racing cars need to be addressed. The racing slicks behave like super hard slicks. We need some different compounds there.

What many have forgotten, is turn 10's ray tracing "teaser" from 2010! It might show some aspects of FM8 to be shown soon. They probably had the ambition back then, but the Xbox One was never capable of this.

Forza_Motorsport_4_01.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_08.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_03.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_04.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_06.jpg

Forza_Motorsport_4_07.jpg

I think there's still something missing in those screens, and that thing is proper PBR to be precise - you can add as much RT as you want, but if leather, metal, rubber etc. still shine like plastic there you're going nowhere.

LokusAbriss

I think there's still something missing in those screens, and that thing is proper PBR to be precise - you can add as much RT as you want, but if leather, metal, rubber etc. still shine like plastic there you're going nowhere.
To be fair, the pictures are from 10 years ago. Materials and everything else evolved a lot in that time. The lighting is key here. Something that Forza never got right to look realistic and natural.

Let's hope they will surprise us with something that will be a substantial revolution over FM7. Fortunately, we don't have to wait long to find out!

Dontero

Banned
Please, beyond anything else, fix the fucking wheel support and FFB on PC.
Everything else, with the exception of some corny Cinematic storyline bollox, sounds great.

This 100%. I loved F7 with its bugs etc but FFB is atrocious. I really hope they add pavement FFB which was completely missing in F7.

It's basically a forza 7 expansion.
4k 120fps will be doable without issue's, the game really isn't much taxing.

They took 3 years instead of 2 (first time ever !) to make it. No way this will be GT7 like situation where they take GTS and add some stuff. They specifically planned to release this game for Next-Gen.

T-Cake

The word ray tracing and 4K don’t go in the same sentence ever for anything above Mario bros graphics.

I would agree but when you look in to it, the ray tracing parts don't need to be at 4K resolution. You can make reflections and things at 1/4 of that, so 1080p and you probably wouldn't notice.

Dontero

Banned
Sounds good. I’ll honestly be happy with 4K/60fps. How smooth does 120fps look anyway?

70-80fps looks a bit smoother than 60 but more than that is barely noticeable. It is mostly circlejerk similar to audiophile circlejerk where if you woul follow tech and believe all that crap sound should sound several times better now where in reality things barely improved since 90s.

I think 120 should be standard. Not for fps but for input lag reasons.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Didn't Microsoft say that the xbox series x is 12 teraflop separate to ray tracing? I think they or someone said it was more like 12 teraflop without and equivalent to 25 teraflop with ray tracing as their ray tracing was done separately.

It did not sound believable which is why I haven't heard it much if at all since.

If it was true then this is the answer.

Edit this is the quote

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Didn't Microsoft say that the xbox series x is 12 teraflop separate to ray tracing? I think they or someone said it was more like 12 teraflop without and equivalent to 25 teraflop with ray tracing as their ray tracing was done separately.

It did not sound believable which is why I haven't heard it much if at all since.

If it was true then this is the answer.

Edit this is the quote

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

That quote is some bullshit though. Yes you need dedicated hardware to run RT, everybody knows that. Another way to look at that quote is that RT running at whatever level the XSX is capable of (that we do not know yet) is as demanding as rendering literally everything else on screen.

Last edited:
These are decade old. Of course materials would be higher quality in 2020.

ZywyPL

Banned
These are decade old. Of course materials would be higher quality in 2020.

Maybe, and it's a BIG maybe - GT has proper PBR and realistic lightning since GT5, the past decade, while Forza despite having 10 installments released during the past two generations of consoles on a yearly basis and still not getting it nowhere near right doesn't give me any hopes at all that this time it will be different. But we shall see in 2 days, maybe that extra year of development will indeed pay off.

Fox Mulder

Forza needed rally or off-road racing for years with all those vehicles they’ve added or pulled from Horizon without appropriate tracks to go with them. Going further to add stuff like stadium truck races with the ramps on the track would be fun.

I really liked Forza for over a decade but the formula got really stale and they only kept adding cars but no depth or variety to the racing really. A race in formula e cars wasn’t any different than one in hoonigan cars.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Forza needed rally or off-road racing for years with all those vehicles they’ve added or pulled from Horizon without appropriate tracks to go with them. Going further to add stuff like stadium truck races with the ramps on the track would be fun.

I really liked Forza for over a decade but the formula got really stale and they only kept adding cars but no depth or variety to the racing really. A race in formula e cars wasn’t any different than one in hoonigan cars.

Its kind of hard to really push innovation for game series with 1/2 years cycles. Hopefully the additional year and new hw enable this for forza.

Bkdk

Cut that cinematic storyline out and add more cars and more scenarios would be good. Also hoping for some mod support For the PC. Overall pretty excited for the game.

Banned
The most powerful graphics card today struggle to make 4k/60 with RT, and people think XSX will do 4k/120 with RT?

yes because RT is a universal thing that can't be different in its quality, optimisation or density from game to game.

everyone knows Raytracing is exactly the same in every game ever made and will ever be made till the end of time.

why are people like you, who have clearly no idea what they're talking about still have the urge to post shit like that?

guess what, even a GTX1070 can run Crytek's raytracing demo at 1080p60, that's a GPU with no raytracing hardware. (not that it would matter since that demo's RT runs fully in software no matter your GPU)

if a GTX1070 can run pretty good looking raytracing effects at 1080p60, a gpu that's about as powerful as the gpu of the One X, imagine what can be done with proper optimisation and actually RT hardware acceleration supporting the GPU.

I'm no saying this will happen, I'm saying your post is demonstrating either an extreme lack of knowledge or brainless anti Xbox rhetoric.

Last edited:

Alx

I have personally no idea what kind of framerate/resolution is achievable with RT on. But based on previous expériences, one would expect a Forza game to defy many expectations. That's what MS used the license for, showing that you can run a 1080p/60fps game on regular Xbone at launch, or 4K/60 fps on OneX.

The most powerful graphics card today struggle to make 4k/60 with RT, and people think XSX will do 4k/120 with RT?
pathtracing, no
some raytracing, yes
I was pointed the other day to an article where ms says that xsx has specific h/w to assist r/t. then there is dlss, variable shading etc tricks.
One thing is for sure, if someone can do it, its turn 10

Top Bottom