• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport releases October 10, 2023 | Xbox Showcase 2023

Frwrd

Meh, looks cute. Have they even said anything about the damn physics?
I do remember them saying that it would be "the most technically advanced racing game ever made".

In this type of racing, graphics ain't shit without proper physics.

We'll see how today's deep dive goes. I've felt like the Forza games have become such a grind after FM4 (which I absolutely loved). FM7 got better in the end, but the "career" mode, the forced homologation, the stupid changes to the assists model (cards, really??), the dealer cars--all of that burned me as a long-time player of the series. No longer does a Forza title merely releasing warrant my immediate pre-order of whatever the Ultimate edition is.

Graphics look great, but having some raytraced reflections on cars during races doesn't make the game play any better.

In contrast, I'm more excited that Xenia is emulating FM4 nearly 100%. I can play that title at 4k60, with mods, and it doesn't feel like I'm losing anything against the latest Forza.

Like I said, big hurdle to overcome for my dollars.

Last edited:
Meh, looks cute. Have they even said anything about the damn physics?
I do remember them saying that it would be "the most technically advanced racing game ever made".

In this type of racing, graphics ain't shit without proper physics.
They have said quite a bit about the physics. The key points that come to mind:

-Massive updates to tyre models and suspension physics. 48x increase in tyre fidelity compared to Forza 7.
-Every course has 24 hour cycles, weather, and rubbering in that interact with the physics engine (e.g. more rubber = more grip, lower temp = less grip). Bottom line, tracks will evolve based on racing and environmental changes much more than before.
-Four tyre compounds (hard, medium, soft, and wet) with their own physics and wear rates and updated modeling of fuel. Pit strategies will actually come into play (never has outside of damage repair before).

Challenge the Grid seems interesting.

Assists seem to be more inline with classic Forza.

XP is tied to what would have been cards in FM7 and perfect corners in FM4.

Car sounds like a vacuum--not the best thing to show "remastered audio." Still liking what I'm seeing so far.

He kinda dodged the monetization content question.

What I want to know is what kind gacha or Seasons that content is going to be locked behind.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The stream quality is absolutely abysmal
I hope they upload it in 4K after the live.
This stream is not good at all. Also there is ZERO ray tracing during the driving parts. Didnt Microsoft say that there would be ray tracing on track?
Maybe it was disabled in this build, it's still in development, when they showed Forza Horizon 5 before release there was even moments where there was RT in game, a thing that came like a year after and only on PC.

Don't judge a game that is still being worked on, we don't know how old the build was.

clarky

Banned
This stream is not good at all. Also there is ZERO ray tracing during the driving parts. Didnt Microsoft say that there would be ray tracing on track?
How can you tell that from this shitty stream? Will we get a 4k version afterwards? because this is wank

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How can you tell that from this shitty stream? Will we get a 4k version afterwards because this is shitty?
The easiest way to spot it is to look for mirror reflections on the side of the car, there was no self-reflection of the car's mirrors on its side.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Hes claims about the physics and simulation compared to other hardcore sims is bold. Lets see if they can back it up.

Senua

Gold Member
Hes claims about the physics and simulation compared to other hardcore sims is bold. Lets see if they can back it up.
Doubtful.

The games lighting is nice but definitely not the generational leap I'd hoped for, I bet the RTGI on PC will give a nice leap indeed

forzat3cj9.png

reksveks

I do kinda wonder how the hardcore racer sim 'freaks' would be able to compare. I am curious for the curiosity's sake.

Not a massive racing guy especially not racing sim.

This is good I like it
Now to really nail the online portion of this,
I need proper rank mode with driver ratings. No 10 people colliding and crashing at the first turn like fm7

Turk1993

Doubtful.

The games lighting is nice but definitely not the generational leap I'd hoped for, I bet the RTGI on PC will give a nice leap indeed

forzat3cj9.png
This is def not the final build, the rt was missing. And the lighting looks alot like gt7, big improvement for Forza but not that next gen lighting we saw in the trailer and screenshots. Till now they only showed the game running on pc, i think the rtgi makes the big difference. But it did't look bad for series X footage outside the missing rt reflections.

Senua

Gold Member
We don't know how old the build is for starters, Mate.
You'd think a fairly recent one, looked all nice and stable me 'ol mucker.

This is def not the final build, the rt was missing. And the lighting looks alot like gt7, big improvement for Forza but not that next gen lighting we saw in the trailer and screenshots. Till now they only showed the game running on pc, i think the rtgi makes the big difference. But it did't look bad for series X footage outside the missing rt reflections.
Compared to FM7 the lighting is a big jump indeed, I didn't know about the PC part but makes sense. I'm not saying it looks bad btw just not a generational leap I expected, but yes early days.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now apply that to Spider-Man 2

*sips tea*

For the record, I agree with you.

Darsxx82

The absence of RT reflection has also seemed strange to me. Or maybe it is so sutil that it is difficult to appreciate? It seems to me that in the presentation of the races if it is activated. I hope they can respond to this aspect.

As for lighting, we must bear in mind that now all circuits have dynamic lighting and day-night cycles. There are moments that can be more favorable visually.

On the other hand, the recreation, detail and animation of the circuits if it shows a generational leap for me.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I still do not like the cockpit, the hand position, racing gloves also looks same ? I think the best thing about this game is all tracks of dynamic TOD. Otherwise as far as gfx goes it is what I expected.

Edder1

There's clearly a difference between reveal trailer and this that were running on Series X and showcase trailer that was clearly running on PC with RTGI. The difference is night and day. Also doing 4K60 is probably eating up a lot of resources and that's why the console version doesn't look jaw dropping. RTGI is something else though, it can make a game look like it's from a different generation.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's clearly a difference between reveal trailer and this that were running on Series X and showcase trailer that was clearly running on PC with RTGI. The difference is night and day. Also doing 4K60 is probably eating up a lot of resources and that's why the console version doesn't look jaw dropping.
The luxury of MS. Getting to show off the balls to the wall PC versions in the trailers, while marketing their consoles.

Senua

Gold Member
I still do not like the cockpit, the hand position, racing gloves also looks same ? I think the best thing about this game is all tracks of dynamic TOD. Otherwise as far as gfx goes it is what I expected.
Every racing game that isn't a hardcore sim should ape Driveclubs cockpit mode, the rate of steering wheel turning animation for gamepad inputs was perfect, really looked natural which is so hard to do with a pad (FH has always been way better than FM at this). And of course the headbob and speed effects were top notch. FMs cockpit view has basically been the same since FM4, it's dead and outdated and they had 5 years to fix it.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Doubtful.

forzat3cj9.png
Never expected a miracle considering weak AMD RT cores and overal RTGI heaviness. It looks just as expected.

Also, I'm quite alright with online career (never bothered me in Sport or GT7), but lack of VR even for PC is a huge omission. After GT7 VR it's almost impossible to go back to 2D racing.

Turk1993

You'd think a fairly recent one, looked all nice and stable me 'ol mucker.

Compared to FM7 the lighting is a big jump indeed, I didn't know about the PC part but makes sense. I'm not saying it looks bad btw just not a generational leap I expected, but yes early days.
Yup all the footage we saw before this was the game running on pc with all the effect enabled.
Now apply that to Spider-Man 2

*sips tea*

For the record, I agree with you.
I already had a post in the next gen graphics thread that they where gonna improve the textures and other stuff in Spiderman 2 because what they showed was from a old build. But we saw this game running on pc with much muhc better graphics so its a lil bit different.
The absence of RT reflection has also seemed strange to me. Or maybe it is so sutil that it is difficult to appreciate? It seems to me that in the presentation of the races if it is activated. I hope they can respond to this aspect.

As for lighting, we must bear in mind that now all circuits have dynamic lighting and day-night cycles. There are moments that can be more favorable visually.

On the other hand, the recreation, detail and animation of the circuits if it shows a generational leap for me.
Nope it was straight out missing, it was enabled in the pre race and garage shots and it was not difficult to notice.

There's clearly a difference between reveal trailer and this that were running on Series X and showcase trailer that was clearly running on PC with RTGI. The difference is night and day. Also doing 4K60 is probably eating up a lot of resources and that's why the console version doesn't look jaw dropping.
Yup the pc footage looked much much better.

The footage from series X is a lil let down tbh, it looks good but after all the high quality footage with all the effect enabled this doesn't look that impressive. Its still not final so they can fix some things but we need to wait and see how much they can improve. The iq and missing details is really hurting the overal presentation tho.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

This scene really had the worst iq and it looked like they are using some sort of VRS which makes everything pixelated on the sides. FukuDaruma FukuDaruma
4.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup all the footage we saw before this was the game running on pc with all the effect enabled.

I already had a post in the next gen graphics thread that they where gonna improve the textures and other stuff in Spiderman 2 because what they showed was from a old build. But we saw this game running on pc with much muhc better graphics so its a lil bit different.

Nope it was straight out missing, it was enabled in the pre race and garage shots and it was not difficult to notice.

The footage from series X is a lil let down tbh, it looks good but after all the high quality footage with all the effect enabled this doesn't look that impressive. Its still not final so they can fix some things but we need to wait and see how much they can improve. The iq and missing details is really hurting the overal presentation tho.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

This scene really had the worst iq and it looked like they are using some sort of VRS which makes everything pixelated on the sides. FukuDaruma FukuDaruma
4.jpg
The moment where GT7 has a much better IQ on the PS5. All this hooting and chest pounding over PR bullet points.

"On track" RT reflections is a waste of resources and just chasing a checkbox.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg
Is it me or PBR on Xbox kinda sucks? Especially in cockpit view.

Top Bottom