• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport releases October 10, 2023 | Xbox Showcase 2023

Naked Lunch

So there's quite the console war happening in here - a major battle...

Anyways, I really hope the new campaign is much improved over the past titles. Thats always been FM's core drawback imo.
Its got the gameplay, feel, and audio/graphics but that campaign setup has always been a step down from the competition.

Last edited:

GHG

I assume that must be something you frequently do? I don't worship anyone. Well, actually, that's a LIE. I worship my wife, because I don't know anyone else (besides my son) that would put up with me.

Quite the opposite really, which is why I often don't give a shit what people say and would rather use my own eyes along with any facts that might be available at the time to make a judgement at any given time.

You're failing to address the evidence at hand, you're failing to address what your eyes are seeing and you're attempting to make this hinge on what an individual has said along with their "history".

Impressionable, people worshiping, call it what you want. But you do you, just understand not everyone else is going to get suckered into it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Because it’s pointless in sp. You will always be first and it achieves nothing. Bots in racing games are dumb and scripted to follow a racing line and rolling start from a pre-defined position is a good way to make a race SOMEWHAT challenging.

With real players it’s of course a must. AI is a huge pain for sim racing in general, that’s why everyone in sim community drools over Sophy.

And ACC while brilliant is basically a monoclass, nowhere near the level of game design complexity of GT or FM.
Sophy or other similar AIs when implemented across the entirety of single player is when it will matter more.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So there's quite the console war happening in here - a major battle...

Anyways, I really hope the new campaign is much improved over the past titles. Thats always been FM's core drawback imo.
Its got the gameplay, feel, and audio/graphics but that campaign setup has always been a step down from the competition.
There's not really a console war going on. People are discussing.

Riky

$MSFT
Here you go.

"Ray tracing's here. It's on-track, and most importantly, it's real-time gameplay. I really want to make that clear. When we say on-track, we don't mean it's only in replays or Photo Mode on-track and [we're] being funny with words - we're not trying to mislead you here. When you are racing, when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on."

That's pretty clear words, what RT is in game and when and where RTGI is used.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not big into Sim racers but the new career mode and Forza's rewind feature will allow me to play this for a while.

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

Verchod

I think they're quite general. It might be that during racing, console versions have Ray traced reflections, but not RTGI

Darsxx82

Here you go.

"Ray tracing's here. It's on-track, and most importantly, it's real-time gameplay. I really want to make that clear. When we say on-track, we don't mean it's only in replays or Photo Mode on-track and [we're] being funny with words - we're not trying to mislead you here. When you are racing, when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on."

As I was saying, there is no ambiguity in what T10 has stated to date. They have clearly promised RT during the races against the AI gameplay on console.

If in the final game it doesn't exist and only in 30fps replays and pre-race scenes... they simply lied or didn't keep that promise. That is, they will have to admit that they have not complied. Any other excuse or words to justify themselves I will understand as something shameful and precedent to never believe them again.

Those words could only be justified in the existence of different modes where one offered RT at 4k (upscaled or DRS). Of that, for now, there is no news Of different modes.

Tqaulity

Look, the new Forza Motorsport will look fine and does have a lot of attention to detail. But for all those thinking that it was going to "blow GT7 out of the water" or deliver a truly "next gen" visual experience on console, it should be clear now that those expectations were a bit exaggerated. As someone who has owned GT7 since day 1 on PS5 and have seen Forza Motorsport in person, the net result is somewhat similar although I definitely think GT7 has the edge in several areas (won't fully judge until the final release of Forza of course). Unfortunately, the gameplay footage released yesterday looks pretty underwhelming TBH (visually) but I expect the final game to look better than that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look, the new Forza Motorsport will look fine and does have a lot of attention to detail. But for all those thinking that it was going to "blow GT7 out of the water" or deliver a truly "next gen" visual experience on console, it should be clear now that those expectations were a bit exaggerated. As someone who has owned GT7 since day 1 on PS5 and have seen Forza Motorsport in person, the net result is somewhat similar although I definitely think GT7 has the edge in several areas (won't fully judge until the final release of Forza of course). Unfortunately, the gameplay footage released yesterday looks pretty underwhelming TBH (visually) but I expect the final game to look better than that.
That's the problem. People were setting their hype and expectations way too high because of "next gen only," even though the game was caught being run on XB1 kit in testing. It didn't help that MS was showing off the flashy maxed out balls to the wall PC trailers and fans were acting like it was the console version.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Ah nice, the main Forza thread from the showcase......'starts reading the thread'

the-simpsons-enter.gif

Have fun guys.

I generally like what I'm seeing and hearing so far. The physics changes and bringing in race regulations alone will make this a substantial improvement over Forza 7. I'm really looking forward to hearing about wheel support and online racing mode. We know there will be a race weekend format with practice, qualifying, race and fuel/tire/pit strategies. All sounds good, but I want to know all the details.

Lastly, it was a quick response in the interview yesterday, but I'm glad to hear that the plan is to bring free tracks and cars as DLC. That's a confirmation of new tracks and ensures no segmentation of the online community.

Elysium44

Banned
Nope, seems like a pretty upfront guy. Turn 10 have always delivered what they say so I have no problem taking their word for it until proven otherwise.

Have they? In 2017 they promised FM7 would launch with a comprehensive online penalty system, which never materialised.

In 2013 they promised the AI would be lifelike and use 'the power of the cloud'. More marketing buzzwords which didn't mean anything.

Also the FM7 trailer was full of CGI which they falsely labelled 'in-game footage'.

They have a long record of making grand promises about this and that, and then failing to adequately deliver. 'Built from the ground up' is another lie.

This Chris guy comes across as shifty. He knows the game isn't very impressive and barely looks any better than FM7. The career mode likewise looks very underwhelming and seasoned Turn 10 watchers have heard all these empty promises before.

Tqaulity

That's the problem. People were setting their hype and expectations way too high because of "next gen only," even though the game was caught being run on XB1 kit in testing. It didn't help that MS was showing off the flashy maxed out balls to the wall PC trailers and fans were acting like it was the console version.
Yes keep in mind that this game WAS in fact intended for cross gen across Xbox One and Xbox Series until fairly recently. That makes sense when you consider the game has been in development for roughly 6 years now and started at a time when the Xbox Series didn't exist. So in that way, it's not very different than GT7 except GT7 was built on top of GT Sport whereas the new Forza Motorsport was always intended to be a reboot.

I'll be interested in seeing all the inevitable comparisons between Forza and GT7 in the coming months. I for one think the final GT7 running on PS5 on my TV is an exceedingly beautiful game that has been underrated and one of the best examples of next gen graphics we have to date. From what I've seen so far, Forza will look generally on par but folks may be surprised at how well GT7 holds up in the end

Neo_game

IMO the whole build up to this game has been poor so far. They should be releasing many gameplay videos to get people excited. Is Gamescom also a digital event ? It would be nice if they have playable demo so people can try the game themself.

Have they? In 2017 they promised FM7 would launch with a comprehensive online penalty system, which never materialised.

In 2013 they promised the AI would be lifelike and use 'the power of the cloud'. More marketing buzzwords which didn't mean anything.

Also the FM7 trailer was full of CGI which they falsely labelled 'in-game footage'.

They have a long record of making grand promises about this and that, and then failing to adequately deliver. 'Built from the ground up' is another lie.

This Chris guy comes across as shifty. He knows the game isn't very impressive and barely looks any better than FM7. The career mode likewise looks very underwhelming and seasoned Turn 10 watchers have heard all these empty promises before.

This. So much this. T10 PR Team is the king of bullshit, it has been that way at least since Forza 3. The constant self pat on the back is also so egregious.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Drivatars was a huge ramming fad, just like their physics promises since FM5 (especially regarding the wet track physics). I kinda love the series but Turn 10 is constantly overpromise almost all of features.

jm89

Really intrigued to see more of the AI in action, one of my biggest gripes with racing games for single player mode.

Good to see both forza and GT are pushing hard in that area.

Loxus

Post low res image and complains about lack of detail and says it doesn't mather 🤦‍♂️
images

If they start flip flopping and remove it in the final product than thats a BIG L. They are stupid if they lied about rt on console. But if its missing on pc because the xbox can't handle it than they can fuck off and get shit on.
You can watch the gameplay for yourself in 4k.

That looks nothing like this.
UO0vkbo.jpg

Last edited:
It's what I have been saying. GT7 looks amazing to me, on the OLED, beautiful colors, tracks, cars and especially lightning + PBR materials.

I have been underwhelmed by Forza on the XSX. But you see, it's still not the final build. GT7 had a trailer showing awful 2D trees on High Speed Ring that are not present at all on the final build.

The gameplays portions in the showcase have awful anti-aliasing, mid quality shadows and no ray-tracing. I think maybe only the shadows stay like this, the rest will be certainly upgraded. I don't think they will reach GT7's lightning and materials though. Also, small stuff like the car modelling is still not up there yet. There's a Corvette C8 pic showing both games on twitter that illustrates this.

Apart from the visuals, it seems like the game will be great, nice career mode imo, and the improvement in the physics is hopefully amazing. I will play it on PC though, years from now

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
LOL There are real races from XSX already posted:

Low res captures and pathetic fanboy trolling aside, the game will be a looker when released. Without question.

Looks ok, but i get the feeling that this shit wants to be Horizon popularity but on circuit. I'm not really impressed if you compare it with GT7.

From menu structure and rpg nonsense...this is arcdy (yes i know both GT7 and FM are simcades) but without the FIA backing, something that GT7 has, it will more likely be a good simcade racer but not a real GT7 competitor for eSports, since GT7 is big and the FIA backing is huge with all the real and in-game events.

I'm curious about the damage model in FM, but other then that..GT7 has a strong online mode and these races are really something most of the times.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GT7 looks way better than this...
I would not say, "way better" but a dose of copium has been served, so far, for those who thought this was going to blow it out of the water visually due to "next gen only." When we do know it was originally cross-gen itself.

Again, not final build, I expect improvements, but it won't come nearly close to all those maxed out PC trailers they were sneakily releasing all this time.

nikos

Steering wheel animation is still locked at 90 degrees. I'd hide it anyway since I'm using a wheel but that's horrible.

Still no information on what actually matters in racing games. Hopefully that comes sooner than later. Prepared for disappointment though since this is pretty much made for consoles and is simcade no matter how much they say otherwise.

Last edited:

skit_data

Watching the gameplay demo on IGN and it's pretty funny how similar this and GT7 looks in motion. I like the whole "every corner nets you experience" approach they seem to have going, that you always have some sort of continous progression.

There was one part of the video where the reflections (which i assume is RT) seem to update at half or maybe even quarter the framerate which looked wierd (I'd rather prefer some other type of solution if this is the only way they could get it implemented) but then again the game is still work in progress.

Edit: Also, it was just one particular section in the starting grid so it might as well be a bug or some kind of solution they implemented when there are many reflective surfaces on screen in order to keep everthing else running smoothly

Last edited:

fatmarco

I really wish this game didn't do realtime Ray Tracing on track. It looks like its clearly hamstrung the entire games visuals.

I mean just so you can see the reflection of another on your car? Really?

The FSR they're using it to get to "4k" makes it look like a smudge. There shouldn't be such a clear visual downgrade going from a cross gen title in Horizon 5 to a Next Gen only title (then again, obviously this was originally developed on the Xbox One so its sort of cross gen too).

I like me some racing games. Only thing I hate is that it always seems everyone else has a faster car from tuning or whatever. I just like racing with the same cars and see who's best.

Ozriel

M$FT
That's the problem. People were setting their hype and expectations way too high because of "next gen only," even though the game was caught being run on XB1 kit in testing.

Years old, early version of the game being run on XB1 hardware for network testing doesn’t mean the final build would run on last gen hardware.

Top Bottom