• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport (XSX) vs Gran Turismo 7 (PS5) Graphics Comparison (Up: Video in OP replaced as IGN one was not fit for purpose)

Which is better?

• Forza Motorsport(2023)

Votes: 170 24.1%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 404 57.2%
  • Mario Kart 8DX

Votes: 132 18.7%

• Total voters

Unknown?

J2H6Oiu.gif

J2Hg7te.gif

J2Hg5N9.gif
Holy crap!! GT7 with way better lighting.

MarkMe2525

Forzas desaturation actually lends it more realism. GT7 is punchier but gamier (if that makes sense). This is a total 180 from any other comparison ever done, where I would think Forza was punchier but GT would be more realistic.

Regardless of realism, I do prefer the look of GT7

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
They've just turned on lights (and it looks like additional lights have been placed) that wouldn't be in use during a race.

ACC is the official GT3 simulator btw, so trackside details will be accurate.

It's the same track my man.

I know but one has full on circuit lights vs the other without. Those lights change everything
wtcc_race_of_qatar_2015.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-08-04-at-02.08.40.png

2008qatar-ARTBNR1motoress.com-MOTORESS.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just looking at the youtube screencap, its odd that only the player car headlights are illuminating the track. i know forza horizon had some issues with headlights casting shadows, but im surprised that only the player is lighting up the track in gt7.

There seems to either be a limit or dynamic adjustment in when GT starts cutting off when cars start casting lights.

In some segments where there's only two, three cars, you can see some of them light, but in other areas where there's more, only the player car casts a light.

In Forza all cars seem to be doing it at all times.

G6Gt2sZ.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This has to be an HDR recording bug. Whenever I take screenshots with HDR on they come out looking washed out and weird and nothing like gameplay. I am not someone who does this for a living tho.

MarkMe2525

Check it out. You can see the headlight reflections in GT7 when your car is behind the other yellow car. You don’t see it in FM8.
It also looks like they forgot to turn the track lights on in GT7. It does give the scene more contrast though.

Edit: I was informed from a post by GHG GHG that this track doesnt have lights. So a nod to GT7 here.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I'm really surprised by the end of this poll, because according to these videos, FM is better than GT, and it should be obvious.

First, let's talk about desaturation. Maybe FM is a bit too much, but GT is like reality through a Samsung camera: everything on contrast, everything saturated. The problem is not saturation per se. The problem is GT feels fake in everything except cars: grass is so green like it's painted everywhere; objects are so clean they seem detatched from the ground sometimes; details on environments are missing, something that is considerate chronical on this franchise.
One of that comparison is like on GT circuit holders didn't pay the bills.

FM is way more detailed on the circuits side, trees are more detailed and react better to light, leafs have a better shiny/shadow effect. GT7 is improved on trees vs GTS but trees are still gamey. The shiny effect on cars on GT is good but exagerated, like they artistically choose to improve the effect artificially.

What GT does better is materials for the car: GT makes layers of paint much better than FM where every car seem matte painted from distance. FM has some problem on shadows, during replay you can see shadows inside cars are updating a bit late. Cars on GT, especially inside, seem to have some detail more.

Overall, despite some flaw, I think FM is better than GT this time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I know but one has full on circuit lights vs the other without. Those lights change everything
wtcc_race_of_qatar_2015.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-08-04-at-02.08.40.png

2008qatar-ARTBNR1motoress.com-MOTORESS.jpg

Yes and the point is that watkins glen doesn't have trackside lights (there's actually a reason for this). None of the pictures you've posted are from the Glen (you've shown Qatar international and Sepang).

There are plenty of circuits around the world that don't have circuit illuminating spotlights that turn on at night. It's been a Forza design choice for years to plonk them where they don't exist/belong.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I'm really surprised by the end of this poll, because according to these videos, FM is better than GT, and it should be obvious.

First, let's talk about desaturation. Maybe FM is a bit too much, but GT is like reality through a Samsung camera: everything on contrast, everything saturated. The problem is not saturation per se. The problem is GT feels fake in everything except cars: grass is so green like it's painted everywhere; objects are so clean they seem detatched from the ground sometimes; details on environments are missing, something that is considerate chronical on this franchise.

FM is way more detailed on the circuits side, trees are more detailed and react better to light, leafs have a better shiny/shadow effect. GT7 is improved on trees vs GTS but trees are still gamey. The shiny effect on cars on GT is good but exagerate, like they artistically choose to improve the effect artificially.

What GT does better is materials for the car: GT makes layers of paint much better than FM where every car seem matte painted from distance. FM has some problem on shadows, during replay you can see shadows inside cars are updating a bit late. Cars on GT, especially inside, seem to have some detail more.

The saturation isn't bad from my experience but the game does give you options to tune the output which is what I've done. Turn saturation down to 80% for a more realistic color.

I disagree about the trees though. The light filtering and sheen are better in GT. Trackside details are a bit better in Forza though but it does depend on track. The carry over tracks are good but ones made for GT7 are much better.

Last edited:

FM is way more detailed on the circuits side, trees are more detailed and react better to light, leafs have a better shiny/shadow effect. GT7 is improved on trees vs GTS but trees are still gamey. The shiny effect on cars on GT is good but exagerate, like they artistically choose to improve the effect artificially.

I guess some people just like vivid mode on their TV.

There seems to either be a limit or dynamic adjustment in when GT starts cutting off when cars start casting lights.
In some segments where there's only two, three cars, you can see some of them light, but in other areas where there's more, only the player car casts a light.
In Forza all cars seem to be doing it at all times.

G6Gt2sZ.jpg

Is there also a lamp on the Drivers helmet. look at the amount of light on the gloves.
night time GIF by PBS KIDS

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean it’s always the same with these two: Forza is better technically but gran turismo makes things look better because their art choices.

They’re both however extremely accomplished games and I believe fans on both sides of the fence will be pleased with the results.

I’m going to choose to celebrate that no matter the plastic box under your tv, you have a premier racing game available.

DanielG165

GT7 is punchier/more contrasty like it was filmed through the lens of an earlier Samsung Galaxy camera, whereas FM is more flat like an earlier iPhone camera (though it’s funny how this seems to have switched in recent years but I digress).

I personally won’t make a judgement until I’m sitting down, playing Forza, and seeing it with my own eyes in a native and uncompressed resolution, but both games look great to me here. One is punchier, and more people like punchy colors, where the other is more subtle or subdued, and it looks like the time of day greatly affects that also. It depends on what style or flavor you like, that’s really it.

Hell, Assetto Corsa: Competizione is far more hardcore and sim like than either GT7 or Forza, and its image is pretty subdued, even with all the fixtures cranked up. It’s still a very pretty game, though, and Forza looks to be no different, and it has RT/RTGI in-game.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Its called bounce lighting (Indirect GI).
Go look outside right now, trees ain't pit black in broad daylight like it is in GT. That's lack of Indirect GI.
Gosh this is proof that this place is full of Toxic fans, same goes for the people who liked this
It may just be the capture because I've never seen black trees in GT7. When the sun is on the opposite side it is darker whereas Forza has been doing it where regardless, the trees are all the same light.

Tripolygon

Banned
Would a wet track really have that level of reflection? Aren’t track surfaces designed to not reflect like that? You can see on GT7 footage that there is plenty of reflections outside of the track.

I could be wrong, but It just looks overdone to me.
While you are not wrong, a racetrack does show reflection depending on how much water is on the surface and the finish of the track, concrete vs asphalt. GT does have reflection on track as you pointed out but as the road surface when wet is not a mirror finish so it doesn't show a mirror like reflections but if you are close to edge where puddles form you will see cars reflections because the puddles have a mirror surface compared to the main track. Like below you see the blue car reflected on the surface on the puddle on the side of the track.
GT7
m9Xk2Jw.jpg

The pinnacle of weather simulation in racing game which is DC gets it better than any game and no you don't need RT to show really good reflections, just good game design. If you see the side of the road with puddle build up, you can see all of the cars reflected in it.

DC
5HZHUY3.jpg

Below you see the same thing but the transition to the rougher road surface still has reflection though not a clear reflection like where puddles built up to form a mirror surface.

DC
yo0UYIq.jpg

Edit: and just like I suspected those water reflections in FM8 are not raytraced on XSX. I don't know about PC.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Is there also a lamp on the Drivers helmet. look at the amount of light on the gloves.

night time GIF by PBS KIDS
That’s from the cars behind 😑 GT7 does the same thing.

But that pic of GT7 isn’t accurate as the cockpit is way too dark. It’s twilight there so the inside of the car would still be visible. (if it was pitch black then it would be accurate)

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Yes and the point is that watkins glen doesn't have trackside lights (there's actually a reason for this). None of the pictures you've posted are from the Glen (you've shown Qatar international and Sepang).

There are plenty of circuits around the world that don't have circuit illuminating spotlights that turn on at night. It's been a Forza design choice for years to plonk them where they don't exist/belong.
I think you don't understand what im tryna say here. Yeah IRL there maybe no lights on Glen but in Forza there is so its a different lighting situation. Saying one game has better lighting by looking at that gif is just not accurate because of the circuit lighting differences. Im not arguing that one is more accurate to the real thing or not.

Unknown?

That’s from the cars behind 😑 GT7 does the same thing.

But that pic of GT7 isn’t accurate as the cockpit is way too dark. It’s twilight there so the inside of the car would still be visible. (if it was pitch black then it would be accurate)
No, that's not it. Cars behind you wouldn't light up the whole cockpit uniformly. It would have brighter spots and shadows cast too.

setoman

It may just be the capture because I've never seen black trees in GT7. When the sun is on the opposite side it is darker whereas Forza has been doing it where regardless, the trees are all the same light.

Yeah that's called Direct Illumination, there shouldn't be one side dark and then the other side bright unless there are things preventing the light from bouncing.
I attached an image to my previous post, maybe you can take a look. That's what I mean.

In the GT footage the trees are dark completely. You can also see the lack of bounced lighting on the walls or in the stands with roof, etc.

Unknown?

Yeah that's called Direct Illumination, there shouldn't be one side dark and then the other side bright unless there are things preventing the light from bouncing.
I attached an image to my previous post, maybe you can take a look. That's what I mean.

In the GT footage the trees are dark completely. You can also see the lack of bounced lighting on the walls or in the stands with roof, etc.
In real life, on a thick tree, one side will be darker than the other from shade. It won't be black, and I haven't witnessed that in GT, which is why I've said it could be poorly captured.

Connxtion

No, that's not it. Cars behind you wouldn't light up the whole cockpit uniformly. It would have brighter spots and shadows cast too.

16:53 for the footage. You will see track side lighting, headlights & indirect lighting play a roll in the cockpit lighting.

As they enter a darker area the cockpit darkest correctly. (Since it’s twilight the cockpit should still be visible as it is)

Edit:
What you said is true if the whole car was modelled in cockpit view. Forza doesn’t model the whole car when in cockpit view, it’s only the cockpit section that’s actually there.

Last edited:

spartan30gr

I dont really care who have the better graphics in car models
But the engines sounds on forza motosport is by far superiors.Compare to gt7

Last edited:
Top Bottom